The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
And when you make a Royal Visit, you need to overdress. One way to honor those you visit is to take special care to dress well and be tidy. Look at the others in the photos. They've dressed up, put on jewelry and makeup, done their hair. Her appearance is even bad for an IGer

She looks a slovenly mess. The ratty extensions are the worst. She needs to fulfill the theme of honor and encouragement by dressing up and paying attention to her hair and makeup to make visits like this. Those ladies and gents are assaying her appearance very carefully and the non-verbal cues in her messy hair and overly-casual outfit contradict her words.

Look at Prince Charles. He's taken care to dress up in fine Highland style for his visit to Hardwick. You can be sure the folks there are scrutinizing his getup very carefully and are pleased to recognize the details in his kit.
BBM

I have to agree with you @Herat (for once LOL! :p). It can be hard to strike the right balance between dressing up or dressing down, but dressing up always shows respect, even if it’s nicer casual wear. Catherine has mastered this, and even in blue jeans and boots she looks appropriate for the occasion. This occasion requires more than jeans. (At least they weren’t ripped like the ones she wore when she “debuted” at the Invictus Games with her Mom...I was appalled. :eek: But I’m old.)

I think she’s aiming for unpretentious and approachable, and I don’t think she intends disrespect, but she just doesn’t have the instincts and skill to pull this off while maintaining the dignity required of her. And despite our best efforts here, she hasn’t learned. :D

As for her hair, I have nothing good to say this time. It’s awful, especially in a bakery context, where a bun would have been perfect. As I’ve said so many times, I’d love to see her ditch the straightening and extensions and rock her natural curls.

I will continue to root for her to develop fashion sense, but at times I despair, and this was one of them.
JMO

2:56 AM - 1 Nov 2019
Richard Palmer‏Verified account @RoyalReporter

This rather bald statement of the facts remains true 25 days later, as far as I can tell. While there is concern for Harry and Meghan’s mental health, their attitude has disappointed the Queen and other members of the Royal Family, according to several sources.

3:03 PM - 7 Oct 2019
Richard Palmer‏Verified account @RoyalReporter
Nobody in the Royal Family or the Royal Household is supporting Harry and Meghan at the moment. Even the couple’s aides seem embarrassed by their actions. William, who dropped his brother like a ton of hot bricks earlier this year, and Charles have distanced themselves.

It is really concerning the Duke and Duchess of Sussex seem to have gone rogue from the rest of the royal family. I just wonder how bad things are going to get with the press and increasing numbers of the public against them.

BBM

I have to agree with you @Herat (for once LOL! :p). It can be hard to strike the right balance between dressing up or dressing down, but dressing up always shows respect, even if it’s nicer casual wear. Catherine has mastered this, and even in blue jeans and boots she looks appropriate for the occasion. This occasion requires more than jeans. (At least they weren’t ripped like the ones she wore when she “debuted” at the Invictus Games with her Mom...I was appalled. :eek: But I’m old.)

I think she’s aiming for unpretentious and approachable, and I don’t think she intends disrespect, but she just doesn’t have the instincts and skill to pull this off while maintaining the dignity required of her. And despite our best efforts here, she hasn’t learned. :D

As for her hair, I have nothing good to say this time. It’s awful, especially in a bakery context, where a bun would have been perfect. As I’ve said so many times, I’d love to see her ditch the straightening and extensions and rock her natural curls.

I will continue to root for her to develop fashion sense, but at times I despair, and this was one of them.
JMO

Thanks Lilibet

I'm glad you understand my concerns about this. I know the Royal Family gets a lot of snarking for some of their outfits as stodgy, or too mumsy, or matronly (esp Princess Anne) but there is a reason they overdress for public occasions, as they know they are representing the Monarchy and being finely dressed and groomed is not just a personal habit but a HUGE representation of respect for the public.

If Markle is doing this intentionally as a sign of unpretentious or approachable, or yourthful (!)she needs to study those who do a much better job of it, maybe Sophie Wessex, or Zara Tinsdale, if she doesn't want to emulate Kate.

Don't get me started on the trite sayings on the cupcakes.... it's edging into banana territory again.

Markle just seems to be the Duchess of Pinterest and it's not honoring the position she married into.

Even though I am not a fan of MM, I don't tolerate bullying on social media for anyone. I truly wished that PH and MM waited to get married but its not my life and all these visits seem like a public relations game plan. I truly hope they get their act together because they have a child . JMO

It is really concerning the Duke and Duchess of Sussex seem to have gone rogue from the rest of the royal family. I just wonder how bad things are going to get with the press and increasing numbers of the public against them.
As you said you before, it is going to be very awkward at the holiday table.

I usually just read here BUT as a baker of custom cakes if she fiddled with her hair in my kitchen I’m pretty sure my head would explode! Lol
Hands in the hair, put topper on cake, hands in the hair, cut cake? Ewwwwww!

Thanks Lilibet

I'm glad you understand my concerns about this. I know the Royal Family gets a lot of snarking for some of their outfits as stodgy, or too mumsy, or matronly (esp Princess Anne) but there is a reason they overdress for public occasions, as they know they are representing the Monarchy and being finely dressed and groomed is not just a personal habit but a HUGE representation of respect for the public.

If Markle is doing this intentionally as a sign of unpretentious or approachable, or yourthful (!)she needs to study those who do a much better job of it, maybe Sophie Wessex, or Zara Tinsdale, if she doesn't want to emulate Kate.

Don't get me started on the trite sayings on the cupcakes.... it's edging into banana territory again.

Markle just seems to be the Duchess of Pinterest and it's not honoring the position she married into.

This is so true. I think it meshes with what we were discussing before. Clarence House's Instagram account posts videos all the time of Prince Charles and Camilla doing events and making visits. They are always dressed professionally in suits or tailored dresses (or culturally appropriate dress like Prince Charles in a kilt) and they ask people questions about the place they are visiting. Is it the most glamorous and exciting life asking the businesses in Cornwall about their locally made products? Maybe not. But it is, I believe, the reason Charles and Camilla are now so widely liked and approved of. If Charles went around complaining or talking about how difficult his life was, I don't think he would have been rehabilitated nearly to the extent he has been.

I don’t get the impression that this is a sit-down one-on one-interview, unless I’ve missed something. I can’t access the original article in the Telegraph.

From this link it says here:

“Meghan allows reporter Bryony Gordon to transcribe her thoughts while she pays a visit to a charity bakery which offers help to disadvantaged women.”

So it seems that Bryony Gordon is writing down what Meghan says to the women at the bakery, not directly to Gordon. I wouldn’t call that “breaking protocol.” Reporters quote the RF all the time when they speak to others.
JMO

As you said you before, it is going to be very awkward at the holiday table.

I doubt it. Meghan is such a "California Woman" that she would have no problem talking about her therapy at Christmas dinner, her problems as a Mother, the sexual activity of her and Prince Harry.

California people are really their own culture here in the United States. We just let them go with their TMI. At least no one else needs to talk or say much.

What a culture shock for the royal family!

I doubt it. Meghan is such a "California Woman" that she would have no problem talking about her therapy at Christmas dinner, her problems as a Mother, the sexual activity of her and Prince Harry.

California people are really their own culture here in the United States. We just let them go with their TMI. At least no one else needs to talk or say much.

What a culture shock for the royal family!
Awkward to me means all the drama lately surrounding MM. She cant control every dialogue in the Queen's residences

I usually just read here BUT as a baker of custom cakes if she fiddled with her hair in my kitchen I’m pretty sure my head would explode! Lol
Hands in the hair, put topper on cake, hands in the hair, cut cake? Ewwwwww!

Yes, just watching the clip, the ‘fussing with the hair and hands on’ in a food establishment is so gross...

The ladies of the bakery obviously dressed up for the occasion, because they were going to be filmed, their hair included, but I hope they get the message about the optics.

It’s so basic. And any professional in this industry knows this?

In my youth, working in some fine culinary establishments, this was food 101. And there are strict dress and hair codes for that.

Unfortunately, it was the first thing I noticed. That’s a shame. And I’m really trying not to be critical.

Jumping off your post here SugarQueen...

Also? Blue jeans are unacceptable in any government or most corporate executive positions here in the states.

—Steve Jobs was an exception. Ok, he was the original geeky, techy genius who created Apple.

But I see no woman in a place of power “dressed down Friday” representing her company, government, or country here in the US.

I can’t imagine it is acceptable for royal attire? —While representing the BRF on a filmed visit?

Keep it casual attire is not really Royal.

And when you make a Royal Visit, you need to overdress. One way to honor those you visit is to take special care to dress well and be tidy. Look at the others in the photos. They've dressed up, put on jewelry and makeup, done their hair. Her appearance is even bad for an IGer

She looks a slovenly mess. The ratty extensions are the worst. She needs to fulfill the theme of honor and encouragement by dressing up and paying attention to her hair and makeup to make visits like this. Those ladies and gents are assaying her appearance very carefully and the non-verbal cues in her messy hair and overly-casual outfit contradict her words.

Look at Prince Charles. He's taken care to dress up in fine Highland style for his visit to Hardwick. You can be sure the folks there are scrutinizing his getup very carefully and are pleased to recognize the details in his kit.

Part of the problem is Meghan can’t represent the British. She’s not British.

—So, her thing is a global thing. The Instagram quotes of spiritual leaders, etc.

Part of that problem is she doesn’t really represent the BRF, either.

That’s why no amount of PR is really working. Imo.

It’s not her fault. It’s what top businesses call “not a good fit”.

Prince Charles is by his very being, his essence, he is all things U.K. —it’s who he is.

It’s also why someone from California cannot modernize the monarchy.

I believe what Meghan is experiencing is the square peg cannot fit through the round peg, or visa versa aspect of this dynamic.

Hope Harry realizes this. Every fiber of him is royal. He doesn’t know anything else. And the pressure of forcing something that doesn’t really fit could tear them apart instead of their intended purpose of being young, fresh, and something new?

It’s the reality beyond the fairytale...
Jmo.

It really was elegant, refined, and subtle.

The choice of the fascinator/hat was inspired and unique.

I think it was a remarkable outfit for what could have been an emotionally difficult event.

Camilla is generally on point in the sartorial department for whichever occasion she's attending in my estimation. I'll preface this next comment by saying that I'm not a fan of the RF by any means, but I think she would have been more "on point" as a wife to PC from the beginning. She's part of that world, knows the drill, and navigates it with ease.

There will NEVER, I'm quite sure, be a "tell all" book or an emotional-cleansing interview by her. EVER.

Oh, and the fascinator above -yes!

I still remember being very uncomfortable when my future mother-in-law hugged and kissed me at our first meeting or two when my future husband and I were just dating. I didn’t come from a huggy family. I got used to it and felt very loved by her, and I’m much more likely to hug friends now. But I don’t when I first meet someone. So I get the discomfort. To me, extending two hands is sort of a compromise in some situations...warmer than a handshake and less familiar than a hug. But a handshake is always more appropriate for strangers IMO.

Lilibet, you have hit a nerve with me! Shaking hands, hugging, just sort of nodding and smiling, etc. No one knows what to do, when, anymore. Yikes. For an introvert, this can be a source of mild terror. What to expect? Knocked over with a bear hug? A "power" handshake, or maybe a limp, two-fingered one? An air kiss? A little nod of the head? I wish everyone would just acknowledge that the U.S. and, to a lesser degree, Britain, are lacking in this department. I say we should all just make like the French and faire la bise! Everyone knows what to expect.

Last edited:
Lilibet, you have hit a nerve with me! Shaking hands, hugging, just sort of nodding and smiling, etc. No one knows what to do, when, anymore. Yikes. For an introvert, this can be a source of mild terror. What to expect? Knocked over with a bear hug? A "power" handshake, or maybe a limp, two-fingered one? An air kiss? A little nod of the head? I wish everyone would just acknowledge that the U.S. and, to a lesser degree, Britain, are lacking in this department. I say we should all just make like the French and faire la bise! Everyone knows what to expect.

Ha ha! Great post. But even faire la bise has its unnerving ambiguities. What to do, what to do? :eek::p

The Fine Art of Greeting A French Person With A Kiss: To Faire La Bise

I agree. It’s a great color, but the sum was less attractive than each of the parts.

Here’s a article full of advice on how to style a leather pencil skirt, including shoes. I like the style of top in the first picture (below) best. I think lower, less delicate pumps would have been better, but the color was great. A couple of tips from the article:
  • A pencil skirt is better paired with a loose fitting top

• You can wear almost any color top with a dark leather skirt, but coloured skirts require some discretion to ensure they pair well.

• For conservative or office wear, try to keep matters simple. Opt for a knee-length skirt or accessorize with leggings, tights, or stockings. Pair with a modest top or use a long blazer or cardigan. A blazer with just one button fastened at the waist can really pull the look together.
  • View attachment 211092

Style Tips on What to Wear With a Leather Skirt

Wanted to reply to this post and the lovely photo of white, untucked top over dark pencil skirt you posted Lilibet. Unfortunately, it seems like it didn't come over.

However, I've never understood why people with as much/many resources as the RF do things like Meghan did with her pencil skirt/top combination. First of all, the reds don't go well together (unless it's my monitor!). Secondly, the skirt is TOO TIGHT. The photo you posted of the white top/black skirt is head and shoulders over Meghan's. It's totally elegant in my book. It's a pet peeve of mine when women do this, and I always wonder if they're going for "sexy" over "class and elegance".

I will say this, though: Meghan has been blessed with a figure for clothes. So many women have lovely clothing, but just don't have the figure to show them to advantage. MM can be truly elegant at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member