Found Deceased IL - Dan Gessner, 28, The Other Side bar, East Dubuque, 21 Oct 2019 *endangered, medical device*

On the map, there's only a small greenway between the bar and the river. Any locals around who can share how easy it would be to end up in the river?
Sorry I am so late in responding... I am extremely local... Dan went missing in East Dubuque Illinois, the Mississippi River separates East Dubuque Illinois from Dubuque Iowa, which is my town.... The river is less than a Half block away from the bar that he was last seen at ; furthermore, there is a pedestrian bridge that runs over the “Big Muddy” leading to Dubuque Iowa, and East Dubuque both ways... Unfortunately, that bridge, and that river has claimed more than enough victims than we all care to think about , both to suicide , and tragic automobile accidents, as well as missing people ( Not including Dan...
My heart hurts for his family, friends, and both sides of the community, in Illinois and Iowa... No one wants this to be real...

Uber and Lyft don't pick up from East Dubuque, so I've had to walk over that bridge to call an Uber from the Iowa side. If he somehow ended up in water, it would've needed to be intentional, in my opinion.

Apparently, he walked everywhere since he didn't have a car, so I'm sure that he would've known basic pedestrian safety, and according to the bartenders and security footage, he didn't seem drunk.

Also, if walking to Iowa from the Illinois bars (they're on a certain side of town), there's a sidewalk that leads you to directly/safely onto the bridge, and the side of the bridge with the sidewalk has a high fence.

I’m still perplexed. You leave the bar. You’re so drunk you just fall into the water? I’m not buying it. Sorry. Come at me. MOO too many cases like this. I do not believe in coincidences like this.

I’m still perplexed. You leave the bar. You’re so drunk you just fall into the water? I’m not buying it. Sorry. Come at me. MOO too many cases like this. I do not believe in coincidences like this.

My best guess is many of them wander down to the water to relieve themselves and end up falling in. Most of them go missing in the winter, where falling into icy cold water, even sober, will completely shock your body. Even if they do make it out of the water alive, now they are soaked and freezing and likely don't have a working cell phone any longer. It wouldn't take long for hypothermia to kick in and if I had to guess, they get to the later stages of hypothermia where they start to feel hot and may end up in the water again to attempt to cool off.

If these cases happened in warm weather as often as cold, I'd say it's too big of a coincidence. But falling into water in the summer is more likely to end up a funny or embarrassing story, not a death sentence.

My best guess is many of them wander down to the water to relieve themselves and end up falling in. Most of them go missing in the winter, where falling into icy cold water, even sober, will completely shock your body. Even if they do make it out of the water alive, now they are soaked and freezing and likely don't have a working cell phone any longer. It wouldn't take long for hypothermia to kick in and if I had to guess, they get to the later stages of hypothermia where they start to feel hot and may end up in the water again to attempt to cool off.

If these cases happened in warm weather as often as cold, I'd say it's too big of a coincidence. But falling into water in the summer is more likely to end up a funny or embarrassing story, not a death sentence.
Down to the water to relieve themselves? Why to the water? I don’t understand that logic, Still, too many cases, not buying it. Sorry. MOO EBM

Last edited:
Down to the water to relieve themselves? Why to the water? I don’t understand that logic, Still, too many cases, not buying it. Sorry. MOO EBM

Privacy/avoid being seen by any passerby. Most of these rivers would provide plenty of seclusion and many have steeper embankments increasing the risk of falling in.

I'm not saying every case is some drunk guy falling in, but I do think misadventure is to blame in more of these cases than anything. Suicide would be next on my list. Murder at the bottom.

On the map, there's only a small greenway between the bar and the river. Any locals around who can share how easy it would be to end up in the river?
I have lived in this area my entire life, and I worked as a taxi cab driver for more than 5 years, that placed me at the Other Side, every night, so I am very familiar with the area. You can't see the river from the street, and I've never seen anyone venture back there, aside for a few instances, one where I found a crying woman by the railroad tracks and gave her a ride home, and another when someone was running from the police . The Other Side is on Sinsinawa Avenue, and it has cameras on both ends of the street. Dan was last seen traveling east, which is the way toward the bridge. The camera at the other end of the street does not show him going past. However, a green cab driver, claims Dan was at the Mulgrews at 3:20 AM and was to return at 3:30 AM for pick-up and he was gone when they arrived. The police say the camera doesn't show him entering Mulgrews, so that's strange. There is also cameras on the bridge, which malfunctioned. However, the cameras on the other side of the bridge do not show him exiting the bridge on foot. The map doesn't show the distance and obstacles to the river from this position so I find it highly illogical that he would venture toward the river, because his circumstances would be to return home, based on text messages. Since he didn't cross on foot, he must've gotten into someone's car. We know that he made it back across the bridge because his cellphone last pinged off a tower on the Dubuque side. If they don't have him on camera crossing the bridge, then he must've gotten into someone else's car. It is not uncommon for people to hop in with random strangers to get a ride over the bridge, and the police station is near by the Other Side on the same street, and right across the street from Mulgrews. At bar close, the cops clear out anyone left in the street - anyone left stranded there after the bars close knows they'll get arrested for a public intoxication if they don't have a ride.

<modsnip: Removed inside information pending verification status>

Based on the available evidence, they need to figure out who drove him over the bridge. It would be wise to run plates of all the cars that crossed the bridge around that time and look for something unusual. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
We certainly welcome Verified Insiders on a thread, so if you know someone connected to this case and have "inside information", please consider applying to become a VI (information on how to apply is provided at this link.)

Verification is a simple and voluntary process, and as a VI you do not have to provide links to back up what you say.

If you are not a VI, then as a regular member you are required to provide a link to either MSM or LE to substantiate what is stated as fact.

I have lived in this area my entire life, and I worked as a taxi cab driver for more than 5 years, that placed me at the Other Side, every night, so I am very familiar with the area. You can't see the river from the street, and I've never seen anyone venture back there, aside for a few instances, one where I found a crying woman by the railroad tracks and gave her a ride home, and another when someone was running from the police . The Other Side is on Sinsinawa Avenue, and it has cameras on both ends of the street. Dan was last seen traveling east, which is the way toward the bridge. The camera at the other end of the street does not show him going past. However, a green cab driver, claims Dan was at the Mulgrews at 3:20 AM and was to return at 3:30 AM for pick-up and he was gone when they arrived. The police say the camera doesn't show him entering Mulgrews, so that's strange. There is also cameras on the bridge, which malfunctioned. However, the cameras on the other side of the bridge do not show him exiting the bridge on foot. The map doesn't show the distance and obstacles to the river from this position so I find it highly illogical that he would venture toward the river, because his circumstances would be to return home, based on text messages. Since he didn't cross on foot, he must've gotten into someone's car. We know that he made it back across the bridge because his cellphone last pinged off a tower on the Dubuque side. If they don't have him on camera crossing the bridge, then he must've gotten into someone else's car. It is not uncommon for people to hop in with random strangers to get a ride over the bridge, and the police station is near by the Other Side on the same street, and right across the street from Mulgrews. At bar close, the cops clear out anyone left in the street - anyone left stranded there after the bars close knows they'll get arrested for a public intoxication if they don't have a ride.

Based on the available evidence, they need to figure out who drove him over the bridge. It would be wise to run plates of all the cars that crossed the bridge around that time and look for something unusual. IMO

What time did you hear his phone last pinged? I heard it was around midnight on the Iowa side, but there was footage of him on a phone from the Other Side. If it's past the midnight ping that's really interesting.

Dubuque local here. I've been following this closely since it broke. News reports from 10/28 state he was seen outside the Other Side bar in East Dubuque around 3:15AM Monday, and was seen walking East on Sinsinawa Ave - this would have him walking AWAY from the Mississippi as he was already on the east side of the river. Yes, the Other Side bar is near the river, just a bit of forestry between the road and the Mississippi, however as someone who has made the mistake of crossing the bridge to party in East Dubuque on multiple occasions, I am more worried about the drugs and violence that are prevalent on the east side. I once walked into a bathroom at a bar there to see a man punching a young woman in the face for no reason that I could see. Dan is not a small man, and he should be able to take care himself, however if he got into an altercation while walking alone at 3:15AM, I can't imagine a good ending. We need to light the fire under this investigation and find Dan, no matter what happened to him. His family deserves closure. Let's start asking questions! If you have any questions about Dubuque, East Dubuque, or the surrounding areas, please ask! I will try to answer, or investigate until I can give a reasonable answer.

What time did you hear his phone last pinged? I heard it was around midnight on the Iowa side, but there was footage of him on a phone from the Other Side. If it's past the midnight ping that's really interesting.

I also would like to know when the phone pinged in Dubuque, because that makes an impact on where he might be now.

Good point on running the plates of all cars that crossed the bridge, but if the cameras on the bridge malfunctioned as coverfirehero said, there would be no way to see what cars crossed the bridge that morning.

Where is all of this info coming from? Has it been verified?

from Parents of missing Dubuque man plead for new information
. . .
Another concern for the family is that Dan has a medical device in his back due to injuries he sustained from military training. If the device isn't charged, he can't walk, and the device needs to be charged at least once a week.

"His charging belt is here at our house. We leave it down the stairs by the front door in case he decides to come back and try to get it," Mark said.

It's been three long weeks, and they're just waiting for Dan to come back safely.

I wonder if there is any way to charge the device without the belt. If not, well... he is stuck somewhere...

Eyewitness sightings are notoriously incorrect but a big guy at 4am on a bridge... not sure if this could be valid tip.

Very sad for Dan's loved ones. Sounds like they are heartbroken... but hopeful.

I also would like to know when the phone pinged in Dubuque, because that makes an impact on where he might be now.

Good point on running the plates of all cars that crossed the bridge, but if the cameras on the bridge malfunctioned as coverfirehero said, there would be no way to see what cars crossed the bridge that morning.

Where is all of this info coming from? Has it been verified?
Here is a spreadsheet with a lot of info and is organized by tabs on the bottom

Uber and Lyft don't pick up from East Dubuque, so I've had to walk over that bridge to call an Uber from the Iowa side. If he somehow ended up in water, it would've needed to be intentional, in my opinion.

Apparently, he walked everywhere since he didn't have a car, so I'm sure that he would've known basic pedestrian safety, and according to the bartenders and security footage, he didn't seem drunk.

Also, if walking to Iowa from the Illinois bars (they're on a certain side of town), there's a sidewalk that leads you to directly/safely onto the bridge, and the side of the bridge with the sidewalk has a high fence.
So Uber and Lyft don’t pick up from East Dubuque and you have to walk across the bridge to get a ride home? Is the area that unsafe or are they not allowed there?
And what’s the big draw to go over there?
Are there no bars on the Iowa side?
Just trying to get a feel for the area since I’ve never been there.

So who's car did he get into? Where are you Dan? MOO

So Uber and Lyft don’t pick up from East Dubuque and you have to walk across the bridge to get a ride home? Is the area that unsafe or are they not allowed there?
And what’s the big draw to go over there?
Are there no bars on the Iowa side?
Just trying to get a feel for the area since I’ve never been there.
I am a former Uber/ and Lyft Driver. I will try to answer your question as best as I can,with the information that I was told ... Uber and Lyft are a rideshare service , in order for them to operate in any town,city .municipality etc. It must be approved by the local government. To give you an example, New York has been a very hectic and chaotic place for travelers recently as the city decided, to limit the service at the airport, due to the political/ social strain that it was causing their Taxi drivers. East Dubuque, Illinois is a very small town, there are at least 2 and sometimes 3 taxi services that operate in Dubuque. The app will not even work, I don’t know if drivers still do this, but when I drove patrons to the bar in East Dubuque, I would let them know up front , that the app won’t work for return trips; to get around this, I would tell them to manually enter in Hyvees address on locust street in Dubuque Iowa, at that time all current Uber/Lyft drivers would know that a ride request from the bars in East Dubuque was needed... Sorry to ramble, hope that provides some clarity...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back