Found Deceased TN - Lucas Vance, 35, Unicoi County mountains, 29 Oct 2019

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Unicoi County officials have ended the ground search for a Unicoi County man missing since Tuesday.

Multiple agencies have been involved in the search, taking them through rough terrain of the Unicoi County mountains for Lucas Vance. They have searched more than 250-acres by foot, on horseback, using dogs, and using technology like drones.

35-year-old Vance owns a local restaurant in Unicoi and was last heard from in the early morning hours on Tuesday. police located his vehicles.

Unicoi County suspends ground search for missing man in mountains, investigation continues

Sheriff Hensley said in an update on social media Wednesday that his department was continuing to follow every lead and that the TBI was assisting in the investigation.

View attachment 213670
TBI assisting Unicoi County deputies in search for missing man

There is also now a billboard visible from W. Walnut Street and State of Franklin Road in Johnson City that has a photo of Lucas Vance and says “Missing person…Call your local Sheriff Office”

missingpersonbillboard.jpg

I've been doing as much research as possible. There's much more to do. But here's what I have gathered so far.

Lucas had a brother named Chad. He lost his brother almost three years ago. It really caused me to realize what these boys' parents must be going through. Losing one young son is a heartbreaking tragedy. I'm hopeful that they won't lose two. Chad enjoyed the outdoors and motorcycles. I have to think that is true of Lucas, too.

Unicoi appears to be in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and in the Cherokee National Forest. It is also very close to the Appalachian National Trail. The trail veers to the right about 5-10 miles south of Unicoi. There are a lot of Vances who own property in Unicoi County, but not one of them is named Lucas. A Google search has given me an address NNE of the city. But I'm not sure it's his correct address. The home is on a street with other houses nearby. The road dead-ends at the next house on the street. There are lots of trees to the east as the forest land takes over.

I watched a long Facebook video that provided almost no new information. There's talk on the video of a "trail cam." I'm not familiar with these cameras, but I wonder if there's actually a trail or if it's just a generic term. Apparently, it was this camera which picked up Lucas arriving home and then not leaving via the front.

I recall hearing something about him having watched half of a movie. I don't know how anyone could know when he watched it. I assume that it was paused on the TV.

I read that his car was parked in front. But I see photos on Facebook of a motorcycle. Where was the bike? Did he still have it? If not, why did he sell it? Did he need money?

A lot of people who live in rural areas with hills may own an ATV. Did he have one? Is it gone?

If he has no ATV and no motorcycle, then what? Why would he leave on foot? Where would he go? If the address I found is correct, I suppose he could walk out the back door and to another property. Perhaps someone had a bonfire going or perhaps he knew a neighbor and went to visit. Could he have been at a nearby home with a woman when someone walked in on a little unexpected romance? I just don't know. But I'm not buying that he just walked off. If someone was distraught, there are places you can go nearby. I mean, there are epic places where you can go out in a blaze of glory. I'm not getting that here. Sure, I can see signs that maybe things weren't good for Lucas. For example, it was late in the month. He owned a business. Perhaps a lease or rent payment was due, and perhaps he didn't have the cash. That might be upsetting. Perhaps he was upset over a failed relationship. I mean, he's at that age when life can seem overwhelming if you hit a hard spot. By age 35, you expect to have a smooth road to follow.

Someone asked if he lived alone. I don't know. The address that I googled is connected to another person who is close to Lucas's age. But I have heard nothing about a roommate or anyone being home when he arrived.

He has two young children? One of the news videos shows cousins speaking about him and shows his parents and his oldest daughter spoke a bit about her dad.
Didn’t mention wife or girlfriend.

I came here to add Luc and found he is already been added and with so much information gathered so far. Thank you all! I live in the next town over from Luc. I have never met him but my niece works at his restaurant and she is just devastated and very worried about Luc. It is such an unusual case. From what I know of Luc it is completely out of character for him to just leave and stay gone without letting anyone know anything. Everywhere I go there are flyers and billboards. My facebook is flooded with news and flyers by so many friends and family sharing info about Luc or ground searches being organized. I hope he is found safe. Here is his Namus- The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I came here to add Luc and found he is already been added and with so much information gathered so far. Thank you all! I live in the next town over from Luc. I have never met him but my niece works at his restaurant and she is just devastated and very worried about Luc. It is such an unusual case. From what I know of Luc it is completely out of character for him to just leave and stay gone without letting anyone know anything. Everywhere I go there are flyers and billboards. My facebook is flooded with news and flyers by so many friends and family sharing info about Luc or ground searches being organized. I hope he is found safe. Here is his Namus- The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Was luk depressed or had there been any big life changes lately? Would you be able to answer if he lives alone or not?

I had the impression that it was some kind of security camera that shows Luc going in the front of the home. And an impression that there was a"trail cam" behind the house but it's missing? I got those impressions from reading posts on the "help find" FB and watching parts of that long video--so not authoritative.
A "trail cam" or "game cam" is a stationary camera, placed along trails or near attractants to take images when triggered by a motion sensor. They are small, about the size of a paperback and many are camoflage colored. Mine download to a card that has to be removed and put in my computer to view the images.

CW, interesting point about the motorcycle on the missing posters....wonder why it is on there... There have been ground searches around the home, so he didn't leave on it? Is it missing? Why? Stolen? Sold --when to whom and why and did anyone close with him know that?
All pure speculation and IMO
So strange!

The address I found for Lucas Vance is on Leach Road. I don't know if it's correct. A story said that they searched near his home on Marbleton Road. Leach and Marbleton intersect. The Leach Road home is about 100-200 feet off Marbleton. Is that his place?

Last edited:
Was luk depressed or had there been any big life changes lately? Would you be able to answer if he lives alone or not?
I just asked my niece what info she could give me or clarify and she says Luc drove home from the restaurant and both of his vehicles were found at his house. He lived alone on Leech Rd. She said he had been acting kind of depressed because he had (she thinks) lost custody of his girls. She thinks the trail cam is missing but she is not sure.

The address I found for Lucas Vance is on Leach Road. I don't know if it's correct. A story said that they searched near his home on Marbleton Road. Leach and Marbleton intersect. The Leach Road home is about 100-200 feet off Marbleton. Is that his place?
My niece works for him at his restaurant and says he lives on Leech Rd. Leech Rd is off of Marbleton. The area he lives in is mountainous (Unaka Mt. Range) A small community surrounded by national forest and wilderness areas. I see ground searches have been going on this weekend and it appears to me that volunteers are all locals. I have heard he may have been depressed due to possibly losing custody of his daughters.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back