GUILTY TX - Two transgender women found dead in separate incidents, Dallas, May/June 2019

Alex Boyér‏Verified account @AlexBoyerFox4 2h2 hours ago
ICYMI: Jury sees additional footage of viral apartment beating of Muhlaysia Booker. Her father talked to @FOX4 outside the courtroom

oM3DH6Yu

Jury sees additional footage of viral apartment beating of Muhlaysia Booker (with clip)

October 15, 2019

"DALLAS - A Dallas County jury is hearing testimony in the aggravated assault of a transgender woman....

Edward Thomas' trial started on Wednesday. The state is trying to prove he caused Muhlaysia Booker pain during the violent encounter and that his hands were capable of causing her bodily injury....

Booker’s father, Pierre, reacted to Wednesday’s testimony.

“I’ll just put it like this: I hope you get right with God. Whatever the outcome of it is,” he said. “I’m going to tell you all something: I haven’t slept. I don’t sleep well at all. I miss my child.”

Testimony will continue on Wednesday.

Jury sees additional footage of viral apartment beating of Muhlaysia Booker
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense claims Muhlaysia Booker provoked her own beating, but state says smack talk is no license for assault

Oct 16, 2019

"...Edward Thomas, 29, is being tried in the April 12 beating at the Royal Crest Apartments in east Oak Cliff. The 6-foot-7 defendant faces a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon: his fists....

On Wednesday, jurors in Thomas’ trial watched the social media video that shows a mob crowding around the 23-year-old Booker as Thomas repeatedly punches her.

Prosecutor Robert Withers recounted in his opening statements how residents of the apartment complex started coming outside after Booker was involved in a fender-bender.

“This altercation keeps heating up and keeps heating up,” Withers said. “Muhlaysia is agitated, frustrated, walking around this group that keeps growing and growing. … At some point, this defendant walks over, puts on a pair of gloves and proceeds to assault Muhlaysia Booker.”

Withers told jurors that they’ll later hear the interview Thomas gave to a detective in which “he confesses to the assault.”

“The defendant says, ‘Yeah, I hit her. Wasn’t no hate crime, but I hit her,’” Withers said, describing the interview....

With Hawkins on the stand, the jury saw two videos that depicted the beating. One was the viral Facebook video, and the other was apartment surveillance video....

Later, jurors watched footage of Dallas police Detective Chris Evans interviewing Thomas. It was a voluntary interview in which Thomas admitted to the assault, Evans said....

The detective testified that after seeing the video of the assault, he believed Thomas used his hands in a way that could’ve caused Booker serious bodily injury or death....

Booker’s mother, Stephanie Houston, was the state’s first witness....

The trial will resume at 9 a.m. Thursday."

Defense claims Muhlaysia Booker provoked her own beating, but state says smack talk is no license for assault

CD32RILL6VANBCS25TCWRV7UJI.jpg

(Defense attorney Andrew W. Wilkerson (right) objects as Stephanie Houston testifies during the assault trial of Edward Thomas at the Frank Crowley Courts Building on Wednesday.[Smiley Pool / Staff photographer])

JYSRGNMLMJCJLPKMKYQWGSUT74.jpg

(Edward Thomas waits for testimony to begin in his aggravated assault trial Wednesday.[Smiley Pool / Staff Photographer])
])​

Last edited:
Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 6h6 hours ago
Good morning. I'm back in court today for the second day of testimony in the trial for the man accused of beating Muhlaysia Booker earlier this year.
Recap of yesterday's proceedings, where the defense argued Booker brought the attack on herself: http://bit.ly/32y3zCs

The beating left Booker with a concussion and fractured wrist, a Dallas police detective testified Wednesday. The detective also interviewed Edward Thomas, the defendant, who said before his arrest that he was the person seen in a viral video punching Booker, a trans woman.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 5h5 hours ago
Thomas' defense attorneys (who consistently misgender Booker, using only her birth name and male pronouns for her) want the jury to see this as a fight between two men. They say Booker was talking smack and that she provoked the beating.

Here's how the prosecution responds to that argument:

EHFf6tqX0AAkTka.jpg

Detective Chris Evans is back on the stand today, and it already feels like things are off on a tangent.
Evans said yesterday there was body-cam video of an interview with Booker in the hospital. Today he says he misspoke and that there's actually only audio.

One of the defense attorneys is trying to frame his testimony as unreliable, asking why the detective didn't review video/audio evidence before he began his testimony and how reliable the detective thinks his testimony is.

Judge sent the jury out of the room for a recess only 30 minutes in, scolding def. attorney Andrew Wilkerson again for "outbursts" in the courtroom.

Wilkerson fired back at the judge, arguing with him and saying to stop telling him to sit down.
"You have countless times told me to sit down before I even open my mouth," he said to Judge Hector Garza after the jury left the room.

"I'm warning you one more time," Garza said, telling Wilkerson that he can make objections and once the judge rules on them, he needs to proceed if the ruling is favorable to him, or move on to the next question if it's not.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 4h4 hours ago
Wilkerson asked Evans the name of the apartment complex where the assault took place, and the detective said he wasn't sure off the top of his head. Named the street it took place on instead. Wilkerson repeatedly asked Evans on if it's important to know where an offense happened.

Things got heated up again when Wilkerson asked if the complex is a high-crime area and pros. objected to relevance. Wilkerson started to interject, saying "I don’t know why it’s not relevant that there’s other people that can be guilty" for what his client is accused of.

"Stop talking at this point, Mr. Wilkerson," the judge told him.
"You can’t tell me to stop talking in front of the jury," Wilkerson said, saying it's his job to "zealously, righteously and fearlessly represent my client."

"Stop talking," judge told him again, then called a recess. Wilkerson was cursing under his breath before he and the other attys left the courtroom.

Almost nothing has happened today besides these back-and-forth antics. Defense was showing a video of a fender-bender that preceded Thomas beating Booker. It's 40 minutes long, apparently, and so far it only shows Booker getting out of a car, walking around.

The judge is holding Wilkerson in contempt. (They'll deal with the punishment for that after today's proceedings are over.) After a lengthy argument back and forth with the judge, two bailiffs took Wilkerson out of the courtroom.

"Put a black man in jail, huh? That’s the only way to shut him up," Wilkerson said. "As long as I’m here I’ll be continuing to represent him zealously, Your Honor."
Judge said if he continues, he'll hold him in contempt twice.

Bailiffs just ran from the courtroom into the hallway, but whatever happened seemed to dissipate fast because they quickly came back.

Asked one bailiff who ran out what happened, but he said he didn't see it either.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 3h3 hours ago
(I'm hearing the attorneys will come back around 11:30. It's just me and the bailiffs in the courtroom now while I type frantically.)

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 2h2 hours ago
Story from the day so far:

lEtvAMmF

Judge jails defense attorney for Dallas man who beat up Muhlaysia Booker in viral video
“You can’t tell me to stop talking in front of the jury,” Andrew Wilkerson told Judge Hector Garza.

Oct 17, 2019

"The defense attorney for the man accused of beating Muhlaysia Booker was held in criminal contempt Thursday after what the judge called repeated outbursts in the courtroom.

Andrew Wilkerson is representing Edward Thomas, who is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the April 12 attack at a Dallas apartment complex, which was captured on viral video.

State District Judge Hector Garza gave Wilkerson 14 days in jail and a $500 fine after finding him contempt.

"So I’m not going to be able to represent my client for the rest of the trial?" Wilkerson asked before he was led out by bailiffs.

Michael Campbell, the other defense attorney in the case, was expected to step in as lead defense counsel....

Garza told Wilkerson that “nobody is sending you to jail at this time.” Any punishment for Wilkerson will be decided after Thursday’s proceedings in the trial are over...."

Judge jails defense attorney for Dallas man who beat up Muhlaysia Booker in viral video

6RROLA54YNDS5LSWS4CL3RDRBQ.jpg

Last edited:
Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 2h2 hours ago
Proceedings are about to get back underway. Prosecutors and judge are in the courtroom, but defense attorneys aren't.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 1h1 hour ago
Judge just gave Wilkerson 14 days in jail and a $500 fine.
"So I’m not going to be able to represent my client for the rest of the trial?" Wilkerson asked before he was led out by bailiffs. Michael Campbell, other defense attorney in the case, is apparently going to step in.

Campbell asked for the rest of the day to figure out how to proceed. Judge said he could have 15 minutes.

Wilkerson just walked through the courtroom in handcuffs.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 50m50 minutes ago
The trial is getting back underway with Detective Chris Evans still on the stand.
Defense attorney Michael Campbell has taken over cross-examination and is back to the video that apparently shows the fender-bender before the attack.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 50m50 minutes ago
(I say apparently because that part of the video hasn't been shown yet.)

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 28m28 minutes ago
I should make clear that the jury doesn't know about the contempt proceedings, and the judge ruled that neither side can bring it up. So they wouldn't know why Wilkerson is not in the courtroom.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 12m12 minutes ago
The jury is now seeing another angle of surveillance video from before the altercation. Campbell trying to call attention to how fast Booker was driving through the lot.
Prosecution objected to showing the video, saying it's not relevant to the assault. Judge overruled.

Thanks for all the updates YESorNO, seems like a whole lot of crazy goings on in that courtroom!

Suspect arrested in murder of KC trans woman

Oct 16, 2019

"The death toll for transgender people murdered this year in the United States has risen to at least 22. Police in Kansas City, Mo., say they have arrested a man in connection with the Monday, Oct. 14, shooting death of Brianna “BB” Hill, 30, according to KCTV News 5, the local CBS affiliate.

Hill was shot at about 11:30 a.m. Monday in eastern Kansas City. She had died at the scene by the time officers arrived.

Police said the suspect, who was not named in media reports, remained at the scene until police arrived. Investigators are working to determine a motive in the murder.

Kansas City has recorded 119 homicides this year. Hill is at least the fourth trans person murdered this year in the city.

SAY THEIR NAMES:
Transgender people killed in the U.S. in 2019..."

Suspect arrested in murder of KC trans woman - Dallas Voice

EHF7GGAW4AAECGw.jpg

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 10h10 hours ago
Back in court for the third day of testimony in the assault trial for the man who beat up Muhlaysia Booker. Defense atty Andrew Wilkerson has been released from jail after the judge gave him 14 days on a contempt charge.

The state rested yesterday, so the defense will get to begin making its case today. Proceedings are just getting underway.

Outside the presence of the jury, prosecutor Jason Hermus asked to put on the record that after the contempt ruling, Wilkerson called the prosecution “a slime ball or a sleaze ball.” Said someone was recording in the courtroom and caught a video of it.

Wilkerson, in response: “I did indeed call him a slime ball and a scum bag, and I apologize.”

The defense wanted to bring in evidence that ecstasy pills were found in the car Booker was driving, and they wanted to say the car she was driving was stolen.
The prosecution said the pills were never tested, so it’s not clear what they are.

The judge ruled that the defense could not bring up or allude to the pills or whether the car was stolen. They’re also not allowed to allude to whether Booker was lying in an interview with police or whether she was intoxicated in some way at the time of the fight.

Jury was not in the room for any of that.

Dana Branham‏Verified account @danabranham 9h9 hours ago
Jury present. Defense just did its opening statements. Attorney Michael Campbell began: "Lies, deceit and a faulty investigation. Ask yourself, where is the deadly weapon?"
The state is trying to prove that the deadly weapon used in the beating is Thomas' fists.

"You know what’s going on here," Campbell said to the jury. "It was a fight. It was a fight invited by — the evidence will show it was a fight invited by" Muhlaysia Booker.

(Muhlaysia Booker is not in quotes in that last tweet because the defense has not used her name through this trial — they only call her by her birth name and use male pronouns for Booker, who was a trans woman.)

On another recess. I believe Jaguy Allison will be the defense's first witness. His car was the one Booker hit in the fender-bender that preceded the beating.

Story from this morning's testimony. Proceedings are still rolling with a Dallas patrol cop on the stand:

Defense attorney says attack on Muhlaysia Booker was ‘mutual combat’

Oct 18, 2019

"Updated at 6 p.m.: Revised to include additional testimony.

The defense made its case Friday in the third day of testimony in the trial for a man accused of beating up Muhlaysia Booker this spring....

Defense attorney Michael Campbell, in his opening statements to the jury, repeated the argument that the defense has made throughout the trial: that the beating was a fight provoked by Booker.

“You know what’s going on here,” Campbell told the jury. “It was a fight. It was a fight invited by — the evidence will show it was a fight invited by … Booker.”

The defense has used only male pronouns when referring to Booker, who was a transgender woman. They also refuse to call her Muhlaysia, instead using only her birth name....

They called Dr. Jelani Ingram as an expert witness. He did not treat Booker, but he reviewed her medical records and watched video of the beating, he testified....

During cross-examination, prosecutor Robert Withers asked Ingram whether a punch could cause a broken orbital bone or a concussion.

The doctor testified that was possible — and that it was possible for someone to die from a broken orbital bone or to face long-term loss of vision or blurred vision from a concussion.

While Ingram was on the stand, the defense tried again to call attention to the sex Booker was assigned at birth, asking whether Booker had “male anatomy.”

The prosecution objected, saying it was irrelevant, and the judge did not allow the doctor to answer....

The defense rested its case just before the judge sent the jury home for the weekend. Closing arguments are set to begin at 9 a.m. Monday."

Defense attorney says attack on Muhlaysia Booker was ‘mutual combat’

Man who beat Muhlaysia Booker in viral video found guilty of assault

Oct 21, 2019

"The man who beat up Muhlaysia Booker in a viral video this spring was found guilty of assault Monday.

Prosecutors had asked a Dallas County jury to find Edward Thomas guilty of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a felony, but they instead convicted him on a misdemeanor charge of assault.

He was sentenced to 300 days in jail, including time served, on the condition he not appeal the ruling.

The jury deliberated for about four hours after the prosecution and defense presented their closing arguments Monday....

Friends and family on both sides of the case crowded the courtroom on the seventh floor of the Frank Crowley courthouse.

Moments before the verdict was read, Thomas’ mother, Alicia Thomas, sobbed in one corner of the room. Booker’s friends and family sat in silence, some of their legs shaking nervously.

Alicia Thomas and her family quietly celebrated after hearing the verdict.

“I feel overwhelmed — relieved,” she said. “I’m just happy with the outcome. And I want to say, I’m sorry to the Booker family. And I hope justice is served for the loss of their child.”

Booker’s family declined to comment after the trial...."

Man who beat Muhlaysia Booker in viral video found guilty of assault

Thanks, lots of interesting information in there, wrt transgender and unidentified remains, this bit was particularly useful, will post on Ws thread..
transgender in unidentified remains
From your news link,
November 18, 2019 rbbm.
"Advocacy organizations like the Human Rights Campaign and GLAAD, as well as activists like Monica Roberts, track deaths of transgender people using available data and information from the LGBTQ community.

But they caution that the real numbers are likely higher.

Some deaths are misreported
Another issue that contributes to underreporting is that some trans people are misgendered at the time of their death.

Law enforcement, witnesses, family members and even friends might misidentify a trans victim with the gender they were assigned at birth, rather than the gender identity the person lived by. Family members might use the wrong pronouns or the name a transgender person was assigned at birth.

Often, trans people are misgendered when they die because their family refused to acknowledge their gender identity, McBride said. Other times, the person may not have been out to many people. And in some cases, their family may not understand how to use the correct pronouns.

Incorrect information from authorities and relatives can lead to misgendering in media reports too.

That’s why Monica Roberts started tracking trans murder victims a few years ago on her long-running blog TransGriot.

She started looking for telltale signs in local news reports, like when someone would be described as a “man in women’s clothing.” She’d figure out when a person had been misgendered and then write about it on her blog. Now that she’s been doing it for a while, people in the community send her tips too. Her findings are often picked up by advocacy organizations and media outlets."

Thanks, lots of interesting information in there, wrt transgender and unidentified remains, this bit was particularly useful, will post on Ws thread..
transgender in unidentified remains
From your news link,
November 18, 2019 rbbm.
"Advocacy organizations like the Human Rights Campaign and GLAAD, as well as activists like Monica Roberts, track deaths of transgender people using available data and information from the LGBTQ community.

But they caution that the real numbers are likely higher.

Some deaths are misreported
Another issue that contributes to underreporting is that some trans people are misgendered at the time of their death.

Law enforcement, witnesses, family members and even friends might misidentify a trans victim with the gender they were assigned at birth, rather than the gender identity the person lived by. Family members might use the wrong pronouns or the name a transgender person was assigned at birth.

Often, trans people are misgendered when they die because their family refused to acknowledge their gender identity, McBride said. Other times, the person may not have been out to many people. And in some cases, their family may not understand how to use the correct pronouns.

Incorrect information from authorities and relatives can lead to misgendering in media reports too.

That’s why Monica Roberts started tracking trans murder victims a few years ago on her long-running blog TransGriot.

She started looking for telltale signs in local news reports, like when someone would be described as a “man in women’s clothing.” She’d figure out when a person had been misgendered and then write about it on her blog. Now that she’s been doing it for a while, people in the community send her tips too. Her findings are often picked up by advocacy organizations and media outlets."

I will post this report here because it is also about murder in the Transgender Community:

What happens after a transgender woman is murdered? For family and friends, a long and agonizing search for closure – FOG Nation News

I think actually it might be just the right thread as the it may be about one of the two victims this thread was started about.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back