Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #11 *GUILTY*

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Most of this area is rural jungle and frozen over for over 1/4th of the entire year. The wooded area behind BC's apartment alone could take a month to search, especially 2.5 years after this crime has been committed. So what I'm asking from anyone here who cares to help is a two sentence summary of several years of threads on this site so I can focus my efforts on a handful of places worth checking out in my spare time. I still give it a less than 1% chance of yielding anything, but what could it hurt?

<modsnip>

I personally think searching locations other than the landfill where it was determined her remains would be located, would be a waste of time. Was anything done regarding this info at the time it was disclosed in the aborted plea bargain discussions? I do remember a poster on here mentioning landfill search enquiries being made a long time ago so am wondering if an area was maybe already identified then by the FBI or LE? That should be the direction that any efforts would be best put towards IMO.

He didn’t head east toward Lincoln. The UIPD reports obtained via FOIA mention that they reviewed security camera tapes from the circle K at Lincoln and Bradley that look out onto that intersection. His car never appears there.

At that time in 2017, the entire neighborhood on the north side of Bradley just past the tracks was being razed. Most of the houses were empty and being torn down. My guess is he took her into that neighborhood, beat her, restrained and stuffed her in the bag, then drove toward downtown.

I had no idea about the Circle K video or that neighborhood being razed -- that's really good information. Thank you! It kinda confirms my suspicion that he made a left onto Bradley instead of a right. He may have done it sooner but for speculative reasons, I think that's not as likely.

Clarifying question: when you're talking about the neighborhood that got razed, are you talking about the area around Bristol Park? E Roper St, Bellefontaine St, Champaign St, etc?

The Chestnut street site is a mystery. I have no idea why he would go there. Presumably he would have pulled over to disable her phone -it must have made a noise, or he saw it and realized he needed to disable it. But, it is a little out of the way and difficult to get to, so why would he think to go there? There must be something important about that site though, as again, one of the UIPD police reports mentions that they have record of HIS cell phone pinging at the same location on Monday the 12th.

I suspect he discarded her phone there and maybe went back to try to find it. Or he just wanted to relive the crime, maybe.

Do you know what UIPD report mentioned him pinging the same location? No need to put effort into looking it up, just if you know off the top of your head.

I personally think searching locations other than the landfill where it was determined her remains would be located, would be a waste of time. Was anything done regarding this info at the time it was disclosed in the aborted plea bargain discussions? I do remember a poster on here mentioning landfill search enquiries being made a long time ago so am wondering if an area was maybe already identified then by the FBI or LE? That should be the direction that any efforts would be best put towards IMO.

I mean, yeah...I think the probability of finding anything at any other site is very, very low but at this point any non-zero chance of finding something is at least worth a quick look. At the top of my list would be the Chestnut St site that dm92 and I are talking about.

If anyone in the CU area wanted to get together and wander through the underbrush, I'd be down for that. Especially this time of year when it's thinned out a bit.

I know it's highly unlikely that searching will turn anything up, but I just feel that it's got to be worth a try. Understandable the landfill is out of bounds for so many reasons, main reason being none of us here are trained.

Parametric, you are so welcome here, dm92 , it's great you have a walking buddy. Very good luck to you both.

I had no idea about the Circle K video or that neighborhood being razed -- that's really good information. Thank you! It kinda confirms my suspicion that he made a left onto Bradley instead of a right. He may have done it sooner but for speculative reasons, I think that's not as likely.

Clarifying question: when you're talking about the neighborhood that got razed, are you talking about the area around Bristol Park? E Roper St, Bellefontaine St, Champaign St, etc?

Yes, immediately west of the tracks and immediately north of Bradley. Neighborhood bound by Roper on the north, N Chestnut on the east, Bradley on the south and N. Market on the west. Old run down neighborhood that was at that time being cleared out to make room for a new housing development. That would make the most sense to me for him to pull in there and attack her. It isn't that far away from One North, and to keep her from getting suspicious and panicking, he can say that he's pulling in to that area to turn around and go back. With no one living there at the time, he could have been far enough away from Bradley to keep anyone from seeing what he was doing. Or, he could have knocked her out in the car somehow on the way, then pulled in there to bind her and stuff her in the bag without anyone seeing. There are also some semi-obscured areas off of N Market heading south back toward downtown that he could have pulled into; areas that are used by CN to access the railroad tracks. They are gravel roadways and are somewhat obscured by brush. Only problem is that the further and further away he gets from One North, you would think the more suspicious she would become and she would panic. A problem unless, again, he knocked her out somehow while driving.

I suspect he discarded her phone there and maybe went back to try to find it. Or he just wanted to relive the crime, maybe.

Do you know what UIPD report mentioned him pinging the same location? No need to put effort into looking it up, just if you know off the top of your head.

S. Chestnut is one of those disjointed streets that you often find in downtown areas. It is broken up, and to get to that exact location where the ping was, you can't just drive directly south on that street. I don't have the map in front of me, but he would have to go south from Bradley on one of two or three streets, and make a couple of turns to get there. It is kind of a relatively dead urban area, but I don't know why he would choose there to dispose of her phone. Maybe he heard her phone chiming, he panicked a bit, and just found a spot where no one was around and chucked it out after removing the sim card -or he threw out the sim card and kept the phone; I can't remember if he mentioned her phone as one of the belongings he threw away on Monday when he disposed of her clothes and other belongings with the green duffle bag. IF he did go back on Monday, I would assume it would be to look for the phone. A phone might be easily found by people searching the area, so it would make sense for him to go back and look for it.

Another issue is the resolution of the GPS. The report from ATT regarding her phone location (in PDF #4 of the UIPD FOIA stuff) mentions a resolution of 200 meters. I took that to mean that the phone could have been anywhere within 200 meters of the location tagged as the source of the ping. IF I am reading that right, then it means that he could have been near that location, but on the other side of the tracks. Reports again from the UIPD FOIA stuff mention that Stiverson (and others I think) searched the area on south Chestnut where the ping was located, but it makes no mention of searching on the east side of the tracks opposite of South Chestnut.

I don't remember the exact location in the FOIA PDFs where all this is detailed -including the part about his phone pinging there on Monday. I think it is in documents 3 and 4, but I can't remember.

This case will be featured in a 2 hour special on ABC's show, 20/20, next Friday night 8 PM CST.

ABC 20/20

Follow the link for the preview on the 20/20 Facebook page.
Thanks for the heads-up... I s'pose I'll watch (especially for any updates on a landfill search and/or the civil case), but boy is it going to be sad/upsetting to sit through all over again... know I won't sleep much afterwards :(

This case will be featured in a 2 hour special on ABC's show, 20/20, next Friday night 8 PM CST.

ABC

ABC 20/20

20/20

Thanks. I was just about to go look and see if this had been scheduled yet......

Watching the preview, they mention “new details.” I wonder if it will be anything new that we here who have been following this closely haven’t heard yet. It would be nice if there were new details concerning how/where he overpowered her and how he got her in the bag. That’s one nebulous gray area with lots of unanswered questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for link, did anybody happen to hear his father's reply when asked if he would ask his son where she was? I just heard a single syllable.

In the preview, it sounds like he deliberately stopped the interview ("please cut"). But these programs are always sensationalized and edited as such, so we don't know if that's the answer he truly gave to the question.

But even assuming that is how he answered, that response makes sense if this was filmed before the landfill information was revealed. It would be a huge liability to divulge information like that on national TV.

In the preview, it sounds like he deliberately stopped the interview ("please cut"). But these programs are always sensationalized and edited as such, so we don't know if that's the answer he truly gave to the question.

But even assuming that is how he answered, that response makes sense if this was filmed before the landfill information was revealed. It would be a huge liability to divulge information like that on national TV.
I was not sure when it was filmed... Thanks for clarifying.
I doubt it will bring catharsis.
And I agree they are invariably sensationalized.

I thought the 20/20 episode was well done and not as sensationalized as I'd feared.

There were a lot of interesting interviews -- some with her family which was heartbreaking. I don't understand how her mother will ever be able to go on. There were a few clips of the other U of I student he attempted to pick up speaking to the FBI. And BC terminating his interrogation, but that was just a few seconds. Overall, though there wasn't much new to learn if you've already been on these threads.

Unfortunately, the closing moment of the show they said something to the effect of: "we reached out and authorities say it would be next to impossible to find her remains now, but Ying Ying Zhang's memory will live on..." (that's fairly close but probably not accurate). Point is, if that's any indication about the state of the landfill search, it seems unlikely it will ever be pursued.

EDIT: Father of U of I scholar killer Brendt Christensen says he thinks son embellished during secret FBI recordings

Last edited:
Overall, though there wasn't much new to learn if you've already been on these threads.

Unfortunately, the closing moment of the show they said something to the effect of: "we reached out and authorities say it would be next to impossible to find her remains now, but Ying Ying Zhang's memory will live on..." (that's fairly close but probably not accurate). Point is, if that's any indication about the state of the landfill search, it seems unlikely it will ever be pursued.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get home tonight to watch this, so I will have to see if I can pick it up online somewhere. I think the full episodes become available on ABC's website after a while. I didn't really think there would be many new details, and it sounds like that was the case.

IF they aren't going to search the landfill, I wish they would just get it over with and come out and announce this publicly.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get home tonight to watch this, so I will have to see if I can pick it up online somewhere. I think the full episodes become available on ABC's website after a while. I didn't really think there would be many new details, and it sounds like that was the case.

IF they aren't going to search the landfill, I wish they would just get it over with and come out and announce this publicly.
I didn't catch it either , will you dm me link please if you find it?
He said she is in landfill.
That means she almost certainly is not.
cadaver dogs and search parties in local area anybody?

Just finished watching the 20/20 show and here is my brief summary for those outside the US or unable to watch it.

(This is from memory and I didn't take notes so excuse any errors I make).

The first hour was a lot of background info on the case and featured interviews with one of her Chinese student friends, the details around the day of her disapperance, and a walk around the area of her last known campus locations with the U of I police chief. Several videos of YY on the bus, running after the bus and getting into BC's car.

They showed a brief video of the girl that BC tried to pick up earlier in the day being interviewed by LE at their office. I believe they mentioned she was a British foreign student but not sure of that and hadn't heard that before.

They made a point to show her Facebook post that day to other U of I students to beware that a man in a black car tried to pick her up. They highlighted the time of that post (~9:45 AM) that morning and said if only YY had seen that post it could have saved her life.

The second hour started with the ID of the car I think tied to BC and mentioned that he then became a prime suspect. They then got into detail about his girlfriend and how she volunteered to wear a wire and how brave that was. Listened to recording of them on her porch and BC saying he's going back to talk to the FBI to clear his name. Brief video of him in the second interview with the FBI. After that interview the FBI or DA said they knew he did it. Showed brief (recreated) video of the route he volunteered to drive the FBI on and show them where he dropped them off. DA said this was just a wild goose chase. The lead FBI agent was on the show and he made video commentary every once in a while.

At this point they hadn't gotten any incriminating info from the girlfriends wire. Then they cut to The Walk for YY and they play the incriminating parts of his confession. The FBI agent then discusses how VERY shook up the girlfriend was when she brought in the recording and again how brave and dangerous it was for her. But the FBI said they did have solid 24 hour eyes on surveilance of BC.

I will interject here by saying they cut in and out throughout the show with video interviews of YY's parents, boyfriend, brother, Beckett, and Chicago Chinese American reporter. Plus I'm leaving out a lot of minor details. But just about each time they show YY's mom, she is crying which I thought was not necessary but that is what these "news entertainment" shows kind of specialize in.

Recordings of BC from jail telling his mom he's totally innocent. Go to the trial. Didn't mention that defense came out with opening statement that he was guilty of killing YY till their telling of the story of the trial was almost over, after they had heard all of the testimony so as to string along the viewer as to whether he was found guilty or not. Played the recordings of all the grisly details from BC's confession from the walk.

Most of the video clips posted above in other posts are most of the key parts of the show. The boyfriend says in an interview that he would kill BC if he had the chance.

Covered brief church memorial video, boyfriend playing the guitar and singing in Mandarin the song "Angel" he wrote about YY. Family only wants her body back. Beckett (i think) talks about the 30 feet of fill in the landfill the size of half a football field they would have to search. DA said BC lied repeatedly to everyone including the FBI. They don't totally believe that BC was THEN telling them the truth when he told them where he put YY's remains. BC dad's interview part was trivial. Nothing new.

Go into details about the civil suit. Played videos of the two visits BC made to the councellor where he talks about his idealization to kill someone. They interview Robin (forget last name), the U of I PR/Communications person about "shouldn't his visit to the councellors raised some red flags?" She came off looking very poorly and unsympathetic with her reply of "can't talk about the case sorry". The show put the U of I in a bad light in my mind here, which maybe tney deserve. YY family lawyer not Beckett says "the U of I should have known BC was a danger and stopped him, tbey are responsible."

So that is my summary. Forgive my spelling. Quotes are my paraphraising from my memory.

Edit: it may have been YY's brother in the interview that said he would kill BC. Not sure about which one said that.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back