CA - 3 dead, including gunman, Saugus High School, Santa Clarita, 14 Nov 2019

ibm.
Santa Clarita Saugus High School shooting raises safety questions
"When sophomore E M, 15, performed in an active shooter training video for a class project earlier this school year, the Santa Clarita native never thought he'd actually be running for his life.

“We were just preparing for the worst, but we never thought anything would occur in a suburb like Santa Clarita. It’s such a lovely place,” M told USA TODAY in a phone interview.

In the instructional video, M played the role of a "person who was hiding," later demonstrating to students how they could safely escape an active shooter situation. On Thursday, Mims found himself a few feet away from an armed classmate. He sprinted into an empty classroom, where he huddled quietly with dozens of other students until police entered the room.

"The video helped me out since I reacted right away and was able to do what I needed," Msaid."

One of the proverbial bulls in the china shop in these shootings are SSRI drugs. Stats from toxicology results from some mass shooters after they off themselves or are killed by LE have shown they had SSRI's in their systems. Going the other way, some mass shooters were off their meds when they went on a rampage.

Decades ago kids took their guns to school, so they could bring dinner home. High schools had shooting clubs.

Nowadays, the schools are locked down after class starts like minimum security county jails, and yet we keep having school shootings. Why? Considering the fact that guns were considered acceptable years ago, and there were virtually no shootings, yet today school lots are gun-free zones, how, all of a sudden in the 90's, did the school shootings start?

those drugs are used all over the world and plenty of them.

What I read online is apparently true. His father was supposedly killed by a drunk driver a year ago.

Boy kills two classmates in California high school shooting | Daily Mail Online

A former friend, named Ryan, knew the suspect in middle school and said he didn’t really socialize. He last would have spoken to him six years ago.

He claimed that the boy's late father drank heavily and also made bullets, but his father was a ‘really nice man who was willing to help people.’

Speaking near his home, Ryan told KTLA: ‘We were playing the backyard...over the years we stopped talking, there was a disconnect [between us].

‘He was doing his own thing. It’s a shock to all of us. His father passed a year ago or something like that.'

Asked if there were weapons in the home, Ryan replied: ‘his dad used to make bullets, so I’d assume he had bullets and stuff like that.'

Ryan said of the suspect’s father: ‘Super nice, outgoing, always willing to help people, a craftsman, he was always in the garage and welding.’

The suspect reportedly grew up and lived with his parents, and attended school in the area. It is understood that when his father died, he became more of an introvert.

KTLA was speaking to locals at his home and claimed that his father had a passion for guns, so the question remains as to what access he had to guns.

The Berhow family's next-door neighbor Jared Axen told KTLA that he knew the suspect since he was a baby and that his father used to go hunting, so firearms ‘weren’t a mystery to him.’

He also claimed he believed that the suspect found his father’s body at home when he passed away.

My high school had 2,000 I went from gr. 9-13. Nothing even remotely like this ever happened. The worst was somebody showing up at a Dance drunk and maybe a fist or 2 thrown. Speaking to my experience. I feel for these kids today.

I feel for kids these days too. When kids have "active shooter drills" in school there's something wrong. It makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.
jmo

I feel for kids these days too. When kids have "active shooter drills" in school there's something wrong. It makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.
jmo

In the '50s, we had "air raid" drills. Crawl under your desk, crouch, cover your ears/head. Nothing ever happened, but we were prepared. Cuban missile crisis brought drills, as well. School shootings DO happen, so teachers and students have to be prepared.

In the '50s, we had "air raid" drills. Crawl under your desk, crouch, cover your ears/head. Nothing ever happened, but we were prepared. School shootings DO happen, so teachers and students have to be prepared.

I understand why they have them. It's just wrong that school shootings happen. It disgust me. Crimes against kids send me over the edge.

Schools are not only more violent, but increasingly more vicious. Bullying, social ostracism, racism is absolutely diabolical in high school. The fact that no one acknowledges this is part of the problem.

Not "victim blaming" or supporting a school shooter. Just acknowledging that the social life in high school is like swimming in shark infested areas. Maybe this situation should change. But it hasn't.

When I first heard this in the news, it made me very sad, but for entirely different reasons. One kid commits a school shooting, I could not help but think, maybe a hero will come by to prevent the shooting from taking place.

Santa Clarita has a very rich history where it comes to western films being made there. The Walk of Western Stars is in Old Town Newhall, right in Santa Clarita, which has wonderful shopping, restaurants, a delightful rustic feel. William S. Hart Union High School District - Hart is considered to be the first great silent film cowboy star. Tom Tyler made movies in Santa Clarita, as did many other great stars.

I'm really sorry this school shooting happened.

.... Anyway, do they have metal detectors at this school, and if so have they said how they think he was able to get the gun into the area that was inside of his bag?
Also does this school have armed security guards posted at each entrance?....
Hey @oceanblueeyes. bbm sbm No idea, but our friend wiki has some info.

Short answer = Lots of buildings, A-Y. Nightmare to secure, I'd think.

Long answer

"Saugus' campus is built on a hill, with a leveled upper and lower campus and a sloped quad in between the two campuses. The A, B, C, D, E, F, and G buildings are located on the lower campus....
The upper campus.... houses the H, J, K, L, M, P, Q, R, S Lecture Hall, and X buildings.
The two-story Y building is located on both upper and lower campus....

"One can enter Saugus through a number of different ways. The main entrance is at Centurion Colonnade located between the Y and A buildings in lower campus. Other lower campus entrances include the student parking lot D gate, auto compound gate, basketball courts gate, and the gate located towards the end of the football field. There are two entrances on the upper campus. The "driveway" is located behind the K and J buildings, leading up to Centurion Way...."

Saugus High School (California) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Ours had it's own shooting range right there on campus. It was part of JrROTC.

Guns aren't the problem; never have been. Though many by way of the media have been coaching the populus to believe otherwise.

We still have a HS shooting team- and most boys/many girls hunt, and are excellent shots. Huge military presence here as well- their kids are familiar with a gun as well. People here are serious about training, and respect for a weapon. GA allows teachers to be armed - but it is based on local board rules. So far, ours are not.

I don't understand why people don't have a locked gun safe, or a gun lock on a single. Our big home one has keys- the one in my car has a fingerprint scanner. The one in the bedroom has a lock. It's not that hard :(

One of the proverbial bulls in the china shop in these shootings are SSRI drugs. Stats from toxicology results from some mass shooters after they off themselves or are killed by LE have shown they had SSRI's in their systems. Going the other way, some mass shooters were off their meds when they went on a rampage.

Decades ago kids took their guns to school, so they could bring dinner home. High schools had shooting clubs.

Nowadays, the schools are locked down after class starts like minimum security county jails, and yet we keep having school shootings. Why? Considering the fact that guns were considered acceptable years ago, and there were virtually no shootings, yet today school lots are gun-free zones, how, all of a sudden in the 90's, did the school shootings start?

List of school shootings in the United States (before 2000) - Wikipedia

Hey @oceanblueeyes. bbm sbm No idea, but our friend wiki has some info.

Short answer = Lots of buildings, A-Y. Nightmare to secure, I'd think.

Long answer

"Saugus' campus is built on a hill, with a leveled upper and lower campus and a sloped quad in between the two campuses. The A, B, C, D, E, F, and G buildings are located on the lower campus....
The upper campus.... houses the H, J, K, L, M, P, Q, R, S Lecture Hall, and X buildings.
The two-story Y building is located on both upper and lower campus....

"One can enter Saugus through a number of different ways. The main entrance is at Centurion Colonnade located between the Y and A buildings in lower campus. Other lower campus entrances include the student parking lot D gate, auto compound gate, basketball courts gate, and the gate located towards the end of the football field. There are two entrances on the upper campus. The "driveway" is located behind the K and J buildings, leading up to Centurion Way...."

Saugus High School (California) - Wikipedia
And, according to the recent data, the shootings took 16 seconds from start to finish. No way to stop this.

Coincidentally, this news article was posted just last week.
Secret Service study explores school shooter warning signs
Nov 7, 2019 rbbm.
"WASHINGTON — Most students who committed deadly school attacks over the past decade were badly bullied, had a history of disciplinary trouble and their behavior concerned others but was never reported, according to a U.S. Secret Service study released Thursday."

"The study by the Secret Service’s National Threat Assessment Center is one of the most comprehensive reviews of school attacks since the Columbine shootings in 1999. The report looked in depth at 41 school attacks from 2008 through 2017."
"The shootings happened fast and were usually over within a minute or less. Law enforcement rarely arrived before an attack was over. Attacks generally started during school hours and occurred in one location, such as a cafeteria, bathroom or classroom.

Most attackers were male; seven were female. Researchers said 63 percent of the attackers were white, 15 percent were black, 5 percent Hispanic, 2 percent were American Indian or Alaska Native, 10 percent were of two or more races and 5 percent were undetermined."

"The report does not weigh on political topics such as whether guns are too accessible or whether teachers should be armed.

She said their goal is to make schools a safer place where no more attacks occur."

i have been on this forum for a long time, and i have three teenage boys.

i'm pro-gun but we don't own and never will. but that's not the issue nor should it be discussed per TOS.

when/if one of the boys come home distraught, we talk. not all mary-poppins-like but we do have the luxury of sitting down at least 5x a week to eat dinner together. are we the cleavers? hell no. we're more like the connors on crack.

talk to your kids, folks. this is not the fault/responsibility of the LAPD, santa clarita LE, Saugus high school, guidance, local high school security nor anyone else. this is on the PARENTS. not siblings, extended family, etc. it may take a village, but that's after the parent(s) have already exhausted their own selflessness. i'm sorry this young man lost his father but he's far beyond the only one and gives NO excuse to shoot up his peers.

see you on the next missing kids' case folks. good to see you bravo. if you have kids, TALK TO THEM. even if they don't want to listen, be a parent. insist. it's our job.

i have been on this forum for a long time, and i have three teenage boys.

i'm pro-gun but we don't own and never will. but that's not the issue nor should it be discussed per TOS.

when/if one of the boys come home distraught, we talk. not all mary-poppins-like but we do have the luxury of sitting down at least 5x a week to eat dinner together. are we the cleavers? hell no. we're more like the connors on crack.

talk to your kids, folks. this is not the fault/responsibility of the LAPD, santa clarita LE, Saugus high school, guidance, local high school security nor anyone else. this is on the PARENTS. not siblings, extended family, etc. it may take a village, but that's after the parent(s) have already exhausted their own selflessness. i'm sorry this young man lost his father but he's far beyond the only one and gives NO excuse to shoot up his peers.

see you on the next missing kids' case folks. good to see you bravo. if you have kids, TALK TO THEM. even if they don't want to listen, be a parent. insist. it's our job.

The destruction of the family in this country has had a corrosive effect on society in general, I believe it has a huge impact on all manner of societal dysfunctions. I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back