CA - 3 dead, including gunman, Saugus High School, Santa Clarita, 14 Nov 2019

Thanks IQ! So many tragedies lately. The fires and now this. My grandson goes to the nearby middle school a block away from shooters home. He is ok but nevertheless affected by this unimaginable act of terror against kids just two years older than he. The community is really pulling together though to begin the healing process!
Oh DEB I just had the feeling this would be very close to you, ugh. I know you are a popular person in your community and would know some of the families. Just having you stopping to post in the middle of all this makes me feel less anxious. OT Yes, it was so odd as we waited out the night together 2 years ago on Websleuths wondering if our homes were going to survive. Still trying to rebuild, so many road blocks still to overcome.
My heart goes out to all the parents in Santa Clarita....gunshots at a school....too much unfathomable grief.

Oh DEB I just had the feeling this would be very close to you, ugh. I know you are a popular person in your community and would know some of the families. Just having you stopping to post in the middle of all this makes me feel less anxious. OT Yes, it was so odd as we waited out the night together 2 years ago on Websleuths wondering if our homes were going to survive. Still trying to rebuild, so many road blocks still to overcome.
My heart goes out to all the parents in Santa Clarita....gunshots at a school....too much unfathomable grief.
Thanks again IQ. :) I too was very anxious yesterday and needed to do something to distract me. Helicopters were in the air above us for 14 hours and the sirens of the first responders were non-stop for 45 minutes! It was nerve wracking. I can't imagine the grief of the victims parents and how they are feeling today. Anyway don't want to make this about me. I'll be in touch to see how your rebuilding is going.

Santa Clarita is supposed to be "safe". I grew up there until my parents moved us up to the Antelope Valley (they couldn't afford a house in Santa Clarita but they could in Palmdale). My sister moved back down there to raise her family. I'm heart broken that my niece (7) and nephew (5) have to learn about and deal with this so young. I know it can happen anywhere but still...
Yes your niece and nephew are at a very impressionable age to learn about this kind of violence especially in a school setting. Hearing the helicopters and sirens all day yesterday probably didn't help. When this kind of thing happens close to home it affects your inner core. Prayers your niece and nephew will quickly heal.

@debbiegarcia36 @IQuestion ya know I just kept thinking what’s next...another fire? Yesterday...I feel so bad for everyone that has been affected by yesterday”s events and those over the past month in that area.
Yes! I feel like I'm sitting on pins and needles when it starts to get windy! Just waiting to hear another fire has started. Now I feel when I go out in public there might be an evil person out there with a gun. I think this generation will have to be pretty strong not to suffer from PTSD.

Although it doesn’t seem to me that it was still all that planned...more like he brought a loaded gun to school and something set him off and he started shooting...still more impulsive...unless there is more info (which there probably is) that LE has...

just because he was a gun enthusiast does not predetermine he will become a school shooter. There is a shooting range nearby, people shoot up there and are taught to do it for sport. His dad did it and I’m sure plenty of other kids do as well at that school. Granted there was an unstable home life but lots of kids have one...I have yet to see anything alarming that would make people think WOW we should have seen this coming...

not saying he wasn’t suicidal or depressed but I’m not thinking he went in planning to shoot up the courtyard at 7:30 either...he was set off and committed suicide right after because he knew he was screwed. Initially the reports here said 7 victims and then it changed to 6. They knew they had the killer much sooner then they let the public know.

Last edited:
Although it doesn’t seem to me that it was still all that planned...more like he brought a loaded gun to school and something set him off and he started shooting...still more impulsive...unless there is more info (which there probably is) that LE has...
Yes, there is probably more info that they are not revealing. He was at the school grounds very early --- before classes started. Shooting started at 7:30. I suspect he was waiting for more kids to assemble in the quad or work up his nerve. The search of his house yesterday may have revealed a plan as well.

If this young man grew up with violence in the home he may have learned very young that violence is the answer. His friends may not have been aware of that side of him yet report a change in him.

I hope I don't get too much hate for posting this, but what do you think of this epidemiologist's take on violence prevention? I came across this a few weeks ago and find it to be a very interesting and compelling theory. (This guy also runs an NGO which is getting some pretty good results using this theory as an anchoring point for violence interventions.)

I can definitely see how the type of dynamic described in this theory might have been at play here, given the background information we know so far.

VIOLENCE IS A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE - Contagion of Violence - NCBI Bookshelf

An infectious disease begins with exposure to the infection by a susceptible person. Susceptibility refers to the level (or lack) of resistance to infection for an individual; this could be due to the immune system (or other factors). For the usual infectious diseases, there are several mechanisms of immunity or resistance (e.g., mucosal cell integrity, or prior antibody or cell-mediated responses). Susceptibility and resistance are relative terms that can be overridden by dosage, types of exposure, or other circumstances. Drops in immunity can occur with time or context or due to changes in other biological or environmental circumstances, such as extreme temperatures or immune suppression. Immunity or resistance to exposure to violence may be a result of a family or peer environment in which views, behaviors, and norms against violence are very well established and maintained, and where alternative responses to exposure to violence are well supported, in particular among close peers (Berman et al., 1996; Osofsky, 1999; Garbino et al., 2002). In infectious disease language this is sometimes referred to as “herd immunity.”

Incubation periods, defined as the time from infection to evidence of clinical disease, is variable in both infectious diseases and violence. In other words, influenza has an incubation period of days, while leprosy has incubation periods of years. The incubation period between HIV infection and AIDS can vary from months to decades. Some infectious diseases have extremely variable periods that can be weeks or years, for example, malaria or tuberculosis. Violence can also have quite varied incubation periods—rapid like cholera, such as for soccer riots, or gang wars, or the genocide in Rwanda (Verwimp, 2004), or longer incubation periods like tuberculosis, where the period between being subjected to child abuse and becoming a perpetrator of community or family violence may be years or decades later (Ehrensaft et al., 2003; Huesmann et al., 2003).

Even prolonged latencies of decades can be seen for both, where conditions for reactivation may be important (e.g., Huesmann et al., 2003). Interestingly both tuberculosis and violence show this ability for a person to be infected very young and then show active disease decades later. For example, a child younger than age 5 exposed to tuberculosis may show active disease in his late teens or early 20s; likewise, an abused child age 5 or less may exhibit violent behavior (community violence or be a child abuser himself) in the late teens, 20s, or later. The intervening years would be called the incubation period for an infectious disease, and could also be called an incubation period for violence.

Technically, whereas incubation period refers to the time to clinical disease, latency refers to time until infectivity to others. This infectivity or contagion can occur from among asymptomatic or presymptomatic persons, including carriers (see below), but also from persons who have not yet completed their incubation period, but who will become symptomatic later. Latency (or infectivity to others) can therefore come before or at the same time as the end of the incubation period; for example someone may spread a diarrheal infection before they are symptomatic. The violence analogy may be that persons may be provoking others to do violence, but do not (or yet) show the characteristic symptoms themselves (definition issues here will need to be worked out, such as whether persons who train others to do violence are showing a clinical syndrome or are just contagious to others).

Persons exposed to violence, as for infectious disease, can develop a wide spectrum of possible clinical courses or outcomes as a result of exposure, including no disease at all, a chronic or relapsing syndrome, disability, or death. Carrier states for infectious diseases include the classic example of “Typhoid Mary,” a cook at the turn of the 20th century who was a carrier of Salmonella typhi (the bacterium causing typhoid fever), who although having no clinical disease herself was responsible for transmitting typhoid to more than 50 persons, with 3 deaths. The analogous situation for violence disease would be the person who causes others to become violent (e.g., through provocation) without manifesting overt violence disease themselves (all of these outcomes require treatment, in individual care and public health terms, once detected).

For each infectious agent, there are many different clinical syndromes. For example, with plague there are bubonic (lymphatic) and pneumonic (lung) syndromes. For tuberculosis the clinical picture may be that of respiratory disease, bone disease, or even meningitis. These may appear as different disease states, but they are in fact caused by the same microorganism or infection for each of these diseases mentioned.

Likewise there are different violence syndromes that are currently viewed as different “types of violence” to the general public, such as community violence, intimate partner violence, child abuse, and suicide. I suggest that these now be classified as different syndromes of the same disease because they derive from the same cause, but manifest under different circumstances. Differences in susceptibilities, contexts, and ages may play a part, just as polio may have different manifestations in very early ages than in childhood, or how influenza differentially affects older and very young persons.

I think your link is broken...here is the link, also gives a good deal of background info:
Sheriff Says Shooting Was Planned, But Victims Were Random at Saugus High

It’s an interesting theory but I think, being a psychologist, I agree there is some violence in individuals that is biologically based (some mental illness is organic that causes violent behavior, chemical induced violence), however we are socially oriented and that is a big motivator behind why we do what we do both good or bad...

I don’t think violence itself is something you can catch like a disease however the acts might be “contagious” because people for some reason are drawn to the social aspect.

Saugus High School Shooting: 15-Year-Old Girl ID’d as One of Two Students Killed in Santa Clarita
The L.A. County coroner's office on Friday has identified one of the two students killed in a shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita.

Gracie Anne Muehlberger is seen in a photo posted to a account.

Gracie Anne Muehlberger, 15, died after being rushed to Henry Mayo Hospital following Thursday morning's shooting. The Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner released her name and age Friday.

She had just turned 15 years old last month.

It’s an interesting theory but I think, being a psychologist, I agree there is some violence in individuals that is biologically based (some mental illness is organic that causes violent behavior, chemical induced violence), however we are socially oriented and that is a big motivator behind why we do what we do both good or bad...

I don’t think violence itself is something you can catch like a disease however the acts might be “contagious” because people for some reason are drawn to the social aspect.

He actually does discuss this more in the article itself, ie. theorizing on what the "infectious agent" might be, so to speak.

There are also similar theories about suicide being "contagious" in a similar way which seem to be more widely accepted and I think have even been used in suicide prevention programs.

EDIT: I think what he describes in his theory is kind of similar to the epidemiological mechanism of prion based diseases. They can arise spontaneously, be passed down genetically/epigenetically(?), or be passed between unrelated individuals from contact with the infectious agent.

In any case research and just common sense seems to indicate that the #1 risk factor for someone becoming violent is having been exposed to previous violence, that trauma can manifest in the form of violence years/decades after the fact, and that violence spreads through communities and social networks. So I feel like he's onto something, whether the epidemiological approach is considered to be metaphorical, or not.

Last edited:
One of the proverbial bulls in the china shop in these shootings are SSRI drugs. Stats from toxicology results from some mass shooters after they off themselves or are killed by LE have shown they had SSRI's in their systems. Going the other way, some mass shooters were off their meds when they went on a rampage.

Decades ago kids took their guns to school, so they could bring dinner home. High schools had shooting clubs.

Nowadays, the schools are locked down after class starts like minimum security county jails, and yet we keep having school shootings. Why? Considering the fact that guns were considered acceptable years ago, and there were virtually no shootings, yet today school lots are gun-free zones, how, all of a sudden in the 90's, did the school shootings start?
The SSRI angle never really gets talked about despite all the evidence of the role they play. I've done quite a bit of reading into it and it's eye opening. A lot of the shooters who were off their meds had recently gone off of them which is a time period where's there's known to be issues with behavior and emotional changes.

The SSRI angle never really gets talked about despite all the evidence of the role they play. I've done quite a bit of reading into it and it's eye opening. A lot of the shooters who were off their meds had recently gone off of them which is a time period where's there's known to be issues with behavior and emotional changes.

That and look at the ages. We're talking about brains which have not fully formed yet, plus the other changes which happen on the transition into adulthood.

Another issue I have is the 3 stages American public schools went through in the last 30 years, the last being No Child Left Behind (NCLB). I was in high school when the first stage happened, the schools were forced to accept students who would have been institutionalized by government agencies for various reasons, and/or had been in programs run by non-profits. Nowadays, they just take anybody, and it's obvious why: There's a lot of money to be made in public education, safety be damned.

That and look at the ages. We're talking about brains which have not fully formed yet, plus the other changes which happen on the transition into adulthood.

Another issue I have is the 3 stages American public schools went through in the last 30 years, the last being No Child Left Behind (NCLB). I was in high school when the first stage happened, the schools were forced to accept students who would have been institutionalized by government agencies for various reasons, and/or had been in programs run by non-profits. Nowadays, they just take anybody, and it's obvious why: There's a lot of money to be made in public education, safety be damned.
Most definitely the age and lack of brain maturation play a part. It never made sense to me to give drugs to teenagers already struggling that may make their issues even worse being on them or stopping taking them. And then when they unfortunately crack and get set off, everything else is looked at besides what drugs they were on or had just come off of.

The money issue is a huge thing and another angle that doesn't get talked about. Admittedly, this is the first time I've seen it brought up and it made me think. How many of these kids are actually in the schools?

Latest from the LA Times 11.15.19 3:44 PM Pacific:

Santa Clarita shooting: Unregistered guns found in home of Saugus suspect; motive a mystery

What prompted Santa Clarita shooting? Detectives search for a motive

By Brittny Mejia,
Ruben Vives, Richard Winton, Hannah Fry, Alejandra Reyes-Velarde
Nov. 15, 2019
2:40 PM
Investigators are still trying to determine what led to a deadly attack at Saugus High School on Thursday in which police and witnesses say a 16-year-old student opened fire in the campus quad, killing two classmates and injuring three others before turning the gun on himself.

Detectives have conducted 40 interviews and still have six to go in their efforts to piece together what led up to the shooting in Santa Clarita. It is not clear how the shooter got the weapon, a .45-caliber handgun. However, authorities say that at this point, they do not think the shooter targeted specific students.

Authorities seized several unregistered firearms from the home of the teenage suspect, but the Sheriff’s Department is working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to trace the origins of the handgun used in the shooting, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

“We are chasing all the leads available,” Villanueva said. “At this stage, we don’t know the motive.”

Just before the start of second period on Thursday, authorities and witnesses say Nathaniel Berhow pulled a .45-caliber pistol from his backpack and began shooting his schoolmates. The attack was launched on his 16th birthday.

A school surveillance camera recorded the 16 seconds of violence, investigators said. The gunman apparently knew how many shots he had fired and reserved the final bullet for himself, Villanueva said.

“He seemed very familiar with firing the weapon,” Villanueva said. He added that the shooting was not a “spur-of-the-moment act,” but officials have not determined a motive.

It was all over too quickly for anyone to intervene, although law enforcement was on the scene within minutes.

A 15-year-old girl, identified by coroner’s officials as Gracie Anne Muehlberger, and a 14-year-old boy died at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital in Valencia soon after. Three other students also were hospitalized. One teen was later released. Two girls, ages 15 and 14, remain in the hospital but are recovering, doctors say.

Friends and neighbors were stunned, saying the teen suspected in the shooting showed no signs of aggression. He ran junior varsity cross-country and helped younger members in his Boy Scout troop.

“He would have fun with the team and was a good kid,” 11th-grader Aidan Soto said. “The younger Scouts really looked up to him. He was there when they needed him with anything. I’m bewildered and looking for answers.”

Brooke Risley, a 16-year-old junior at Saugus High, has known the teen since elementary school. Last year, the two were together in a group for their engineering class and grew to become close friends.

“He was very smart and really good at history,” she said.

In AP European history class, she said, he would help her study and would often get the highest test scores in the class. She said the teen often planned Boy Scout trips during their free time in class last year.

“He was pretty funny too,” she said. “He had a higher-level type of humor that often I couldn’t even get the joke cause it was above my head.”

When word began to spread, a friend reached out and let her know. In shock, she began texting a mutual friend.

“Please tell me it’s not Nathaniel,” she said.

“I heard that too,” he responded. “I don’t want to believe it.”

A senior in their class last year reached out to her Friday, asking whether it was the same Nathaniel who was on their group project “because he couldn’t believe he would do this,” Risley said.

“Everyone who has heard about him being the shooter has said this wasn’t typically him,” she said. “All those who know him are really wondering what the motive was.”

Public records and a high-ranking law enforcement source indicated signs of trouble at home.

His family life in Santa Clarita was upended by his father’s sudden death in December 2017, acquaintances said. More recently, a source told The Times that the boy — a high academic achiever — was having problems with his girlfriend, who was his emotional anchor.

The teen’s father, Mark Berhow, was arrested for driving under the influence in 2013 and 2015 and pleaded no contest twice. The second time, he was sentenced to 45 days in jail and five years’ probation.

According to jail records, he was also booked in 2015 on suspicion of attempted battery of a spouse. The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office declined to file charges in that case, citing insufficient evidence.

A judge granted physical custody of the boy to his mother in August 2016, even though both parents still appeared to live in the family’s small ranch home on Sycamore Creek Drive.

“He would tell me that he missed his father and that he loved him,” said neighbor Jared Axen, 33.

Santa Clarita shooting: Unregistered guns found in home of Saugus suspect; motive a mystery

By Brittny Mejia,
Nov. 15, 2019
Investigators are still trying to determine what led to a deadly attack at Saugus High School on Thursday in which police and witnesses say a 16-year-old student opened fire in the campus quad, killing two classmates and injuring three others before turning the gun on himself.

Detectives have conducted 40 interviews and still have six to go in their efforts to piece together what led up to the shooting in Santa Clarita. It is not clear how the shooter got the weapon, a .45-caliber handgun. However, authorities say that at this point, they do not think the shooter targeted specific students.

Authorities seized several unregistered firearms from the home of the teenage suspect, but the Sheriff’s Department is working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to trace the origins of the handgun used in the shooting, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

“We are chasing all the leads available,” Villanueva said. “At this stage, we don’t know the motive.”

Just before the start of second period on Thursday, authorities and witnesses say Nathaniel Berhow pulled a .45-caliber pistol from his backpack and began shooting his schoolmates. The attack was launched on his 16th birthday.

A school surveillance camera recorded the 16 seconds of violence, investigators said. The gunman apparently knew how many shots he had fired and reserved the final bullet for himself, Villanueva said.

“He seemed very familiar with firing the weapon,” Villanueva said. He added that the shooting was not a “spur-of-the-moment act,” but officials have not determined a motive.

It was all over too quickly for anyone to intervene, although law enforcement was on the scene within minutes.

A 15-year-old girl, identified by coroner’s officials as Gracie Anne Muehlberger, and a 14-year-old boy died at Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital in Valencia soon after. Three other students also were hospitalized. One teen was later released. Two girls, ages 15 and 14, remain in the hospital but are recovering, doctors say.

Friends and neighbors were stunned, saying the teen suspected in the shooting showed no signs of aggression. He ran junior varsity cross-country and helped younger members in his Boy Scout troop.

“He would have fun with the team and was a good kid,” 11th-grader Aidan Soto said. “The younger Scouts really looked up to him. He was there when they needed him with anything. I’m bewildered and looking for answers.”

Brooke Risley, a 16-year-old junior at Saugus High, has known the teen since elementary school. Last year, the two were together in a group for their engineering class and grew to become close friends.

In AP European history class, she said, he would help her study and would often get the highest test scores in the class. She said the teen often planned Boy Scout trips during their free time in class last year.

“He was pretty funny too,” she said. “He had a higher-level type of humor that often I couldn’t even get the joke cause it was above my head.”

When word began to spread, a friend reached out and let her know. In shock, she began texting a mutual friend.

A senior in their class last year reached out to her Friday, asking whether it was the same Nathaniel who was on their group project “because he couldn’t believe he would do this,” Risley said.

“Everyone who has heard about him being the shooter has said this wasn’t typically him,” she said. “All those who know him are really wondering what the motive was.”

Public records and a high-ranking law enforcement source indicated signs of trouble at home.

His family life in Santa Clarita was upended by his father’s sudden death in December 2017, acquaintances said. More recently, a source told The Times that the boy — a high academic achiever — was having problems with his girlfriend, who was his emotional anchor.

The teen’s father, Mark Berhow, was arrested for driving under the influence in 2013 and 2015 and pleaded no contest twice. The second time, he was sentenced to 45 days in jail and five years’ probation.

According to jail records, he was also booked in 2015 on suspicion of attempted battery of a spouse. The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office declined to file charges in that case, citing insufficient evidence.

A judge granted physical custody of the boy to his mother in August 2016, even though both parents still appeared to live in the family’s small ranch home on Sycamore Creek Drive.

“He would tell me that he missed his father and that he loved him,” said neighbor Jared Axen, 33.

All sounds like a very typical history for school shooters -- sudden loss of a parent (with the additional trauma of being the one to find the body), history of parental substance abuse and possible domestic violence, relationship problems and loss of a support system shortly before the event, easy access to guns in the home, etc. I even read in some FBI study that school shooters tend to be above-average students.

Also I could be wrong, but I'm kind of getting the impression that he was somewhat isolated over the past few years. Like he was friendly with people on a surface level but maybe not really close to many people...the comment from his friend about how he was "doing his own thing" and all that.

Also I have to say, after following a certain spree killing case over the past few months, it's very refreshing in a way to see the police being this transparent with information even just one day after the shooting.

Last edited:

By Brittny Mejia,
Nov. 15, 2019

According to jail records, he was also booked in 2015 on suspicion of attempted battery of a spouse. The Los Angeles County district atto
If it was one of his father's guns, that could open up a legal can of worms for his mother in the end because of the state laws. With the way the law is written, it's kind of hard to what may happen.

On another note, the unregistered firearms is interesting. Are they guns that were bought before background checks started, were they 80% guns, were they bought out of state private party or were they old guns passed down through the family that were bought before serial numbers were required?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back