The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Even if it was "honourable" to say goodbye to a friend in person, you don't have to go and stay with them for several days, if I recall correctly Epstein even threw a dinner party for Andrew during that visit. I am 100% sure if the DailyMail hadn't published those photos and there hadn't been an uproar that the friendship would have continued.

He comes off as such a knob he would have been better keeping his mouth closed. All the media training I'm sure he's had and the best he can come up to apologise for hanging round with a convicted paedophile is that he's sorry it looked bad!

"But at the time I felt it was the honourable and right thing to do and I admit fully that my judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable but that's just the way it is."
He sounds like someone who is asked in a job interview what their biggest weakness is and they say that they work too hard or some other back handed self praise

Sarah Ferguson calls Prince Andrew 'giant of a principled man' amid Jeffrey Epstein sex allegations | Daily Mail Online

I like Fergie and I suppose defending him is understandable given their continued friendship but holding him out as some kind of paragon of virtue is so misguided.

Its a miracle their daughters seem to be so nice, Fergie and Andrew don't seem to have an ounce of sense between them

they are describing the process which she must go through. She gets nothing special because she is married to a Royal.

Personally I think its good if shes still waiting, it would have been bad form for her to be able to jump the queue. I'm sure it would have been possible for the Royals via Home Office connections to have her naturalised immediately but its good that they're going the normal route

Even if it was "honourable" to say goodbye to a friend in person, you don't have to go and stay with them for several days, if I recall correctly Epstein even threw a dinner party for Andrew during that visit. I am 100% sure if the DailyMail hadn't published those photos and there hadn't been an uproar that the friendship would have continued.

He comes off as such a knob he would have been better keeping his mouth closed. All the media training I'm sure he's had and the best he can come up to apologise for hanging round with a convicted paedophile is that he's sorry it looked bad!

"But at the time I felt it was the honourable and right thing to do and I admit fully that my judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable but that's just the way it is."
He sounds like someone who is asked in a job interview what their biggest weakness is and they say that they work too hard or some other back handed self praise

Sarah Ferguson calls Prince Andrew 'giant of a principled man' amid Jeffrey Epstein sex allegations | Daily Mail Online

I like Fergie and I suppose defending him is understandable given their continued friendship but holding him out as some kind of paragon of virtue is so misguided.

Its a miracle their daughters seem to be so nice, Fergie and Andrew don't seem to have an ounce of sense between them

I am mystified what is honorable about hanging around with a convicted pedophile.

We have heard of the descriptions of the sleaze palace that Epstein lived in. And all of the young girls coming and going did not ring any alarm bells with Andrew?

As my husband says, “ I was born but not yesterday.”

they are describing the process which she must go through. She gets nothing special because she is married to a Royal.

I think what she has applied for is a visa. She would need a long stay visa in order to stay in England.

I imagine she got a year visa and has to reapply every so often. Yearly, perhaps? Then after three years of living in England she can apply for citizenship but she has to take a citizenship test and pay the fees.

She will then have dual citizenship

If it's like the reverse process, then it would be a case of applying for a 6 month fiance/e visa, which means you have to marry by the end of the 6 months or leave the country. Once married, then you can apply for permission to stay and permission to work, but you'd also be required to show evidence that the marriage is 'real'. After the given amount of time as a permanent resident, then you can apply for citizenship.

So they kind of got bits of the process right, but she wouldn't have been applying for citizenship 2 years ago and be in a queue waiting as she wouldn't yet qualify to apply for citizenship without the requisite amount of time as a permanent resident.

I'm just a bit concerned with the headline making it seem as if it's a choice to not yet be a citizen, and not enough focus on the point that she can't become a citizen for another year or so.

Good points about "I'm just too honourable!" lol

And he can't remember meeting her...okay but do you remember anything that happened after you met her???

The photograph looks to me like it says everything that Andrew will not say.

JMO

I find this a very strange headline as Meghan hasn't lived in the UK long enough to qualify for citizenship? I'm not sure if they're saying that it's good that she hasn't skipped the queue, bad that she hasn't been allowed to skip the queue, or if they're implying that she doesn't really want it?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meghan-markle-still-not-british-20894526?

This is similar to the process of becoming a United States citizen from marrying a United States citizen. You get a 2 year legal Permanent Residents card, and have an interview before getting a ten year legal Permanent resident card, to determine whether or not the marriage is valid. Then, you can apply for United States citizenship, after three years of marriage.

The "issues" Meghan would have had in the United States, is the issue of "Physical Presence", she travels so much...and really is not employed...so the time she spends outside of the UK could be a barrier. Perhaps there is a "royalty waiver". :p

people that I know from New York think she is brilliant, caring and charismatic. Differing views by differing people.

Women who are strong are eviscerated.

For me, your description "Brilliant, caring, and charistmatic" describes The Queen. No one else. No one eviscerates her.

MM has all the gravitas of an Influencer to me.

Last edited:

PA does not have a good reputation because of the decades of arrogance, missteps and poor friendships he is known for. He does not have a good reputation in the British public. His statement of "I'm just too honorable" is a great example of the arrogance he is well known for.

He just won't be able to clear his name. MOO

Then the clumsy Ferguson gets involved in it. She who took money from Epstein, who actually introduced PA to Epstein. She who also was caught in a sting selling influence to PA to an undercover agent.

She is the LAST person who should be vouching for anyone's behavior. Her own self interest (staying in their Royal residence, sharing a $13 million chalet in Switzerland, hobnobbing now with the Saudis (for money) is so blatant in staving up the corrupt PA.

Last edited:
For me, your description "Brilliant, caring, and charistmatic" describes The Queen. No one else. No one eviscerates her.

That's exactly what came to my mind. No one (at least that I've seen) eviscerates the Queen, and she actually has all of those qualities.

If it's like the reverse process, then it would be a case of applying for a 6 month fiance/e visa, which means you have to marry by the end of the 6 months or leave the country. Once married, then you can apply for permission to stay and permission to work, but you'd also be required to show evidence that the marriage is 'real'. After the given amount of time as a permanent resident, then you can apply for citizenship.

So they kind of got bits of the process right, but she wouldn't have been applying for citizenship 2 years ago and be in a queue waiting as she wouldn't yet qualify to apply for citizenship without the requisite amount of time as a permanent resident.

I'm just a bit concerned with the headline making it seem as if it's a choice to not yet be a citizen, and not enough focus on the point that she can't become a citizen for another year or so.

for people who have no clue about visas and citizenship, it can be spun that applying for a visa is applying for citizenship. You cannot stay there without a visa. There is a limit? Is it 90 days?

If you have not lived there for three years, then you cannot apply for citizenship. So in a way, applying for a visa is a step towards citizenship if one wishes to become a citizen at some point

This is similar to the process of becoming a United States citizen from marrying a United States citizen. You get a 2 year legal Permanent Residents card, and have an interview before getting a ten year legal Permanent resident card, to determine whether or not the marriage is valid. Then, you can apply for United States citizenship, after three years of marriage.

The "issues" Meghan would have had in the United States, is the issue of "Physical Presence", she travels so much...and really is not employed...so the time she spends outside of the UK could be a barrier. Perhaps there is a "royalty waiver". :p

In many countries all you have to show is income enough to sustain yourself and health insurance. In other places, you have to have so much money in a bank account or you must start a business. There are many different ways in different countries.

Is Meghan gone more than six months out of the year? And most places she goes are British associated somehow. Territories? Colonies?

I do not want to post negative things about the Queen. They are out there and plenty of them.

All we have to do is look and see how women are treated.

That's exactly what came to my mind. No one (at least that I've seen) eviscerates the Queen, and she actually has all of those qualities.

you may wish to google but I do not care to repeat things printed.

I do not want to post negative things about the Queen. They are out there and plenty of them.

All we have to do is look and see how women are treated.

I've always been treated pretty well as a woman...with some exceptions. I think most people, both men and women, have the same experience. Maybe it depends on how one defines being treated well. And I'm speaking as someone who was an attorney at a huge international law firm where there were few women partners. I certainly appreciated the paycheck :)

you may wish to google but I do not care to repeat things printed.
Oh, I'm sure some people criticize her. I overstated that. Apologies. I don't think it comes anywhere near the criticism of Hillary Clinton, though. I did google a bit and didn't find anything particularly awful about the Queen. But I'm in the US and am fully familiar with people's criticism of Hillary, right down to Arkanciding Esptein :eek:

Royal marathon today on my Smithsonian Channel. Including this evening The Queen at 90 ( a good one I’ve only seen once a while ago). It’s cold and I want cocoa :rolleyes: probably settle for a cup of coffee. Note to self buy cocoa.

I find this a very strange headline as Meghan hasn't lived in the UK long enough to qualify for citizenship? I'm not sure if they're saying that it's good that she hasn't skipped the queue, bad that she hasn't been allowed to skip the queue, or if they're implying that she doesn't really want it?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meghan-markle-still-not-british-20894526?

I usually just read the posts on this forum and I particularly love the posts about crowns and tiaras the most!
But certain articles/headlines just rub me the wrong way and this one did.
You're right Amonet, I don't think she has lived in the UK long enough to qualify according to what I've read (very quickly) about immigration and citizenship.

Meghan Markle still not a British citizen - despite applying two years ago

Perhaps its just me but I feel the headline is more of a jab and meant to provoke some sort of negative reaction towards her.
Perhaps its the use of the word DESPITE
IMO, It implies she applied to be a UK citizen 2 years ago and they haven't granted it to her. Headlines leaves it up to the reader to think of all sorts of (negative or positive) reasons why.

There is so much more to the immigration process than what this headline or this article tells us.

Wonder why this part was written at the END of the article and not a the beginning.

"After living in the UK for three years, a spouse can then apply for citizenship providing you have either indefinite leave to remain, settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or a permanent residence document"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an article that explains WHY she won't be UK citizen for a few years.

After five years of marriage to Harry, Meghan will be able to pursue British citizenship.

Meghan Markle won’t be a British citizen for a few years — here’s why

Meghan Markle won’t be a British citizen for a few years — here’s why

Listening to BBC News radio as I often do while around the house.

BBC News is calling Prince Andrew's interview "A Disaster"

Lot's of babbling about the photo and that isn't his hand because it has fat fingers and that's his "traveling wear" whereas he would normally be wearing a suit and tie. "Public displays of affection are something I just don't do"

The questioning by the interviewer is unpleasant to have to listen to and she seems to persevere on correcting his timeline. And he is definitely parsing his phrasing very carefully.

There was also commentary by BBC that this interview was encouraged and promoted by ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, although the Queen signed off on it earlier this week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members