GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek:....Judge calls USC dad a 'thief,' gives longest prison sentence so far in college admissions scandal....:eek:

daf6174a2c645a4657ed25e21ac9112b

Toby MacFarlane departs federal court in Boston on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, after facing charges in a nationwide college admissions bribery scandal.

U.S. District Judge Nathaniel Gorton stressed that MacFarlane participated in the nationwide admissions scheme led by college consultant Rick Singer "not once, but twice," taking seats at USC away from two deserving students.

He told MacFarlane his actions should be tolerated no more than a common thief's actions, "because that's what you are — a thief."

Wow! Felicity Huffman's Judge was different. Guess it depends on what Judge you get.

Who thinks it's unfair?
Is the Judge coming on too strong--when others got off easier?
Or is he right on the money?
Just curious what ya'all are thinking about this.

Judge calls USC dad a 'thief,' gives longest prison sentence so far in college admissions scandal

Last edited:
Judge calls USC dad a 'thief,' gives longest prison sentence so far in college admissions scandal

daf6174a2c645a4657ed25e21ac9112b

Toby MacFarlane departs federal court in Boston on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, after facing charges in a nationwide college admissions bribery scandal.

U.S. District Judge Nathaniel Gorton stressed that MacFarlane participated in the nationwide admissions scheme led by college consultant Rick Singer "not once, but twice," taking seats at USC away from two deserving students.

He told MacFarlane his actions should be tolerated no more than a common thief's actions, "because that's what you are — a thief."
________________________________________________************************************************************

Wow! Felicity Huffman's Judge was different. Guess it depends on what Judge you get.

Who thinks it's unfair?
Is the Judge coming on too strong--when others got off easier?
Or is he right on the money?
Just curious what ya'all are thinking about this.

Wow, I totally missed this today til now, Thanks! How did he get this other judge, I wonder.
I don’t think he came off too strong at all, at least his opinion is actually more reflective of my own. :) He said it like it is, and I agree with him.... that they are thieves is just the truth.IMO.

Wow, I totally missed this today til now, Thanks! How did he get this other judge, I wonder.
I don’t think he came off too strong at all, at least his opinion is actually more reflective of my own. :) He said it like it is, and I agree with him.... that they are thieves is just the truth.IMO.
I appreciate your opinion and I , like you, don't get why he had a different Judge. Just seems that this Judge wants to throw the book at them. Probably would have given Huffman at least a month! Wow is right!

There are a few judges in Boston overseeing the various suits:

Judge Zobel is handling William Rick SINGER and John VANDEMOER

Judge Gorton is handling Mark RIDDELL. Toby MACFARLANE (sentenced), Elizabeth HENRIQUEZ, Manuel HENRIQUEZ, Douglas HODGE, and Michelle JANAVS.

Judge Talwani handled these already sentenced cases: Gregory ABBOTT, Jane BUCKINGHAM, Gordon CAPLAN, Robert FLAXMAN, Felicity HUFFMAN, Agustin HUNEEUS Jr., Marjorie KLAPPER, Peter Jan SARTORIO, Stephen SEMPREVIVO, and Devin SLOANE.
Not yet sentenced or pleading guilty: Igor DVORSKIY, Martin FOX, Laura JANKE, Ali KHOSROSHAHIN, and Steven MASERA.

Judge Saris - Davina ISACKSON and Bruce ISACKSON.

Judge Woodlock - Jeffrey BIZZACK

Judge Stearns - Michael CENTER

Judge not assigned: Rudolph “Rudy” MEREDITH, Gordon ERNST, William FERGUSON, Donna HEINEL, Jorge SALCEDO, Mikaela SANFORD, Jovan VAVIC, Niki WILLIAMS, Xiaoning SUI, David SIDOO, Amy COLBURN, Gregory COLBURN, Gamal ABDELAZIZ, Diane BLAKE, Todd BLAKE, I-Hsin “Joey” CHEN, Mossimo GIANNULLI, Elisabeth KIMMEL, Lori LOUGHLIN, William McGLASHAN, Marci PALATELLA, John WILSON, Homayoun ZADEH, and Robert ZANGRILLO.

Investigations of College Admissions and Testing Bribery Scheme

I appreciate your opinion and I , like you, don't get why he had a different Judge. Just seems that this Judge wants to throw the book at them. Probably would have given Huffman at least a month! Wow is right!

One thing the Judges are taking into account is if kids involved in the college scam knew what was going on, parents received longer prison terms. In Felicity's case, she hid the fact from her daughter that she paid $15,000 to have her test scores changed. Toby MacFarlane's kids, Lori's kids, and a few other kids obviously KNEW there was a scam going on and played a part in it. Based on that fact (among others, such as argumentative emails to a high school counselor, took tax deductions on these payments, used the scam more than once, paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, etc.) is why these parents are/will see longer prison terms.

Last edited:
Lori Loughlin's choice? Testify about husband, get 10 years

If Loughlin, 55, pleads guilty ahead of her pretrial hearing in January, prosecutors may be willing to recommend that a federal judge sentence her to 10 years in prison — far less than the potential 50-year sentence she is currently facing, a source has told Us Weekly.

But taking the deal means she would have to testify against her husband and co-defendant, Mossimo Giannulli, the insider added to Us Weekly.

Will America forgive Lori Loughlin?

Loughlin and her husband pleaded not guilty and are hoping to win acquittal. The indictments show a host of emails shared between the couple indicating they knew that they were giving money to Rick Singer, the fixer.

The intent of exchange, though, remains in question.

“You know, she should fight it,” said Greg Skordas, a criminal defense attorney in Salt Lake City. He said, however, that could hurt the couple because prosecutors “just want them to come in and accept some responsibility and own their problem, rather than fight it and make it ... difficult for everyone.”

Good lawyers will advise their clients to accept responsibility if there’s a good chance that they’re going to be found guilty. Since so many parents in this scandal have pleaded guilty, the chances of Loughlin being let off appear low.

“Almost anyone will tell you that with repentance comes forgiveness. The best thing you could do is advise them to accept responsibility. Because that’s how you get more favorable treatment at sentencing.”

Last edited:
If L and M have a jury trial, can the prosecution show that all these other people who have pled guilty have received jail terms? Can the prosecution show the videos of Lori prancing into the first hearing, smiling and signing autographs?

Martin Fox, 62, from Houston, is scheduled to appear in Boston’s federal court today to plead guilty to a racketeering conspiracy charge in a deal with prosecutors.

Fox brokered bribes to help wealthy parents rig their children’s college entrance exams. He’s also accused of arranging bribes to get two students admitted to the University of San Diego as recruited athletes, and one to the University of Texas.

His plea deal requires him to forfeit $245,000 he received through the scheme.

His charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, but prosecutors are recommending a sentence at the low end of federal guidelines.

Former Texas Tennis Club President To Plead Guilty In College Admissions Scam

another "source" commenting:

Lori Loughlin is 'Discouraged' and 'Concerned' About Other Parents' Sentences in College Scandal

Toby MacFarlane was sentenced to six months in prison after pleading guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

“There’s a similarity to the cases,” says the source close to Loughlin. “And they’re smart enough to see that. So they’re very concerned. If this guy pleaded guilty and was still given six months, what does that mean for them? If they’re convicted, their sentences are going to be very severe. Also, they face more charges than Mr. McFarlane did. They’re very discouraged.”

In addition to charges of money laundering conspiracy, conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and honest services mail and wire fraud, Loughlin and Giannulli were handed an additional federal charge last month: one count each of conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery.

They now face up to 45 years in prison.

As the case against Loughlin and Giannulli moves forward, the source says they’re trying to think about other things. “It’s very hard for Lori not to obsess about this case and what her future will be,” says the source. “She knows that she should focus on all the good things in her life, but it’s almost impossible for her to do it. This is hanging over her head every single day.”

A source told Us that now that Lori is probably going to trial to contest the charges (unless she takes a surprise final-hour plea deal), Bella and Olivia are "really upset with her" because of the effect the trial will have on their lives. Lori is also worried about that: "She knows she has caused so much damage to her daughters’ lives and reputations and knows a trial would only make it worse," the source said.

In September, Us reported that Olivia, who had been a beauty vlogger and YouTuber, was still a little "resentful" of her mom for ruining her career. “Olivia Jade is worried that she won’t be able to build a brand after what her parents have done,” a source told the outlet then.

How Lori Loughlin's Daughters Olivia Jade and Bella Feel About Her Pleading Not Guilty

Geez, no one in that family is taking responsibility. Do these girls not realize that they should just be glad the government isn't handing down charges against them, too. Olivia, find something else to do, you will never be able to build back your "brand" back with photos of you posing on an ergometer and flipping off the press - or how about your dad telling his accountant he had to "work the system" to get you both into USC.

Last edited:
RSBM

Geez, no one in that family is taking responsibility. Do these girls not realize that they should just be glad the government isn't handing down charges against them, too. Olivia, find something else to do, you will never be able to build back your "brand" back with photos of you posing on an ergometer and flipping off the press - or how about your dad telling his accountant he had to "work the system" to get you both into USC.

You're not kidding @JerseyGirl! That entitled, spoiled brat is worried about her brand?????? I say throw charges at those girls and give them something to really worry about!

another "source" commenting:

Lori Loughlin is 'Discouraged' and 'Concerned' About Other Parents' Sentences in College Scandal

Toby MacFarlane was sentenced to six months in prison after pleading guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

“There’s a similarity to the cases,” says the source close to Loughlin. “And they’re smart enough to see that. So they’re very concerned. If this guy pleaded guilty and was still given six months, what does that mean for them? If they’re convicted, their sentences are going to be very severe. Also, they face more charges than Mr. McFarlane did. They’re very discouraged.”

In addition to charges of money laundering conspiracy, conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and honest services mail and wire fraud, Loughlin and Giannulli were handed an additional federal charge last month: one count each of conspiracy to commit federal programs bribery.

They now face up to 45 years in prison.

As the case against Loughlin and Giannulli moves forward, the source says they’re trying to think about other things. “It’s very hard for Lori not to obsess about this case and what her future will be,” says the source. “She knows that she should focus on all the good things in her life, but it’s almost impossible for her to do it. This is hanging over her head every single day.”

What kind of friend would be leaking this stuff, as I don’t see it as anything that inspires sympathy for LL. Are reporters making this up?
Or maybe this is coming straight from LL, but why?

You're not kidding @JerseyGirl! That entitled, spoiled brat is worried about her brand?????? I say throw charges at those girls and give them something to really worry about!

I think the hoopla about charging any students is moot because it's not a crime without the payments being made--which were made by parents only.
Parents contacted Singer, parents instigated and got their kids involved, parents paid.

Conspiracy for the kids maybey? Not worth it or they would have been charged by now. Just alot of rumor and media hype--when articles say the students may be charged.

Opinion.

Well I for one would not oppose any of the offspring who were aware being charged. Hand down Community Service. A long stretch of some tough stuff. I think some could use a hefty slice of humble pie. IMO

I think the hoopla about charging any students is moot because it's not a crime without the payments being made--which were made by parents only.
Parents contacted Singer, parents instigated and got their kids involved, parents paid.

Conspiracy for the kids maybey? Not worth it or they would have been charged by now. Just alot of rumor and media hype--when articles say the students may be charged.

Opinion.

Yeah, I’m for sure not a lawyer .... but is fraud a fraud? Or, if not , what is it? I would love to her from a lawyer in this respect. Other than that, as far as I know these “children” are legal adults.
How about @gitana1.

Well I for one would not oppose any of the offspring who were aware being charged. Hand down Community Service. A long stretch of some tough stuff. I think some could use a hefty slice of humble pie. IMO

Oh yes, for sure on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member