Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking but finally caught up.
Poor Grace.

Just a little question please. Are witnesses for the defence compelled to attend?

I don't understand why her ex-boyfriend would fly to the other side of the world to defend her killer?

Some of my exes are d!cks but I'm not sure I'd ever defend someone who hurt them

He does not have a choice in the matter. And whatever he says (he has to tell the truth) or how he says it, her boyfriend should never feel that he is defending her killer.

He's reminding me of Ian Stewart who killed poor Helen Bailey... He came up with a pack of lies at first and then changed his story in court to the most ridiculous defense. They are so narcissistic they think they can win people over. Wouldn't surprise me if he took the stand like Stewart did

He probably won't be there. He'll probably appear via video link

That's what I think too - it would be far too costly for NZ to foot that bill. Grace's parents will be here at their own expense.

He's reminding me of Ian Stewart who killed poor Helen Bailey... He came up with a pack of lies at first and then changed his story in court to the most ridiculous defense. They are so narcissistic they think they can win people over. Wouldn't surprise me if he took the stand like Stewart did

Yes ... I must say, I thought of Helen's case when I was listening to the details of this one, last week. Parts of the accused's actions also remind me of Clayton Weatherston (evil, evil man).

Thanks for the replies all!

He does not have a choice in the matter. And whatever he says (he has to tell the truth) or how he says it, her boyfriend should never feel that he is defending her killer.

Nope, certainty he isn't. I imagine that he feels awful about being called to give evidence

(BBM) - I agree ... his actions (to my eye) point to panic and clumsiness. It certainly wasn't (again, to my eye), a planned event - otherwise he would've had all this stuff already. But regardless, he is guilty and I hope the jury finds that.

I really do believe things went too far with Grace to the point where she said she wasn't comfortable and he wouldn't take no for an answer. IMO, he probably considered the fact she was a backpacker as an advantage once reality had hit of what he'd done ... perhaps he thought she wouldn't be noticeably missed as they're often off doing their own thing (generally speaking), traveling, rather than keeping in contact with friends and family constantly. Little did he know that she had this very strong family who fought tooth and nail to find her. If I'm not mistaken, one of her brothers raised the alarm about her missing well before the police got involved. And I hate to think what would have happened had the waitress from the Mexican bar not come forward to report she saw him with Grace. He could've potentially got away with murder!

Nah they still would have found the Facebook comments and saw that they'd recently friended each other. He literally handed himself in on a platter by commenting on Grace's profile photo around the same time she was last seen IMO.

Also speculation of a fake leg...I don't think so, as wasn't it reported early on that he was quite good at softball but his team mates found him strange? Maybe an old sporting injury is the reason he's walking kinda weird.

I still keep thinking how utterly weird it is that he mooched through Grace's handbag while she went to the loo ...

I wonder if he was looking for cash, would be interesting to know how long he was rummaging in her bag for. Wouldn’t be surprised to learn the takings have been down at work as well.

I think so ... or would imply otherwise and paint the suspect as a liar.

He's been called by the defence, so they clearly feel that whatever he says will support their case.

In my 24 years of being sexually active, I have never even thought of trying anything like this, until a long-term partner and I explored and experimented quite recently, and even then VERY tentatively. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would be suggesting this on a first date, and of the few that would, it would be the minority who have casual hook-ups and this is their thing. If that was the case here, there would be multiple one-night-stand partners up there giving evidence! The evidence of one long-term boyfriend cannot be compared to the brief encounter that Grace had with this weirdo

Hadn't read the above before, sorry if it was already posted!

As for the ex boyfriend being called as a defence witness - does this imply he will say Grace was into choking / asphyxiation?

They are likely latching on to something that emerged in the discovery phase.

This guy was interviewed by the police no doubt - in that interview he said something. Now the defence get to ask him about it.

He's been called by the defence, so they clearly feel that whatever he says will support their case.

In my 24 years of being sexually active, I have never even thought of trying anything like this, until a long-term partner and I explored and experimented quite recently, and even then VERY tentatively. I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would be suggesting this on a first date, and of the few that would, it would be the minority who have casual hook-ups and this is their thing. If that was the case here, there would be multiple one-night-stand partners up there giving evidence! The evidence of one long-term boyfriend cannot be compared to the brief encounter that Grace had with this weirdo
You're probably 40 at the earliest. The world has changed a lot. And the outlook of young people have too.

I'm not going to sit here and big up myself to internet strangers but I'm a very normal, decent looking mid-20s man and I can tell you that if you took a lass home and started to lightly put your hands around her neck, she'd brush it away or enjoy it. She wouldn't call you a rapist. It is very very common. It's probably the next step after normal intercourse.

I am beginning to think that the accused has latched onto tiny details and extrapolated them to suit his case. Basically, I am anticipating Grace did say she liked being choked. But that's after the equivalent of a slab of beers between two people in three hours.

Still can't believe this... bloke was the last person to ever see her alive. It's a cruel irony where he nearly walked off because he thought he was too good for her.

Also, has anyone noticed the footage of him kissing her has been removed from almost all the CCTV recaps on the news? I feel like it'll become some lost media.

If he testifies via video link I guess it'll be likely first thing Monday morning -- Sunday evening in the UK. Any later in the day and it would be night in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj