OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #52

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it very interesting that JW was never put on SW's birth certificate, as her father, while HR was alive. Isn't that what this document is all about, JW proving he's SW's father? I'm so surprised it was never pressed as an issue by the W's. Weren't JW and HR planning a wedding at one point also? You'd think he'd have made it clear he wanted his name put on SW's birth certificate long before this date of 6 days after HR's death?
It looks to me like it says in the document, according to Jake:
"Hanna and I took the actions required for my name to be on the birth certificate."

So perhaps his name was on it?

‘I wonder if there is a possibility that the expert said “it’s not her (meaning HMR) signature but Gerlach has mistaken it for “her” meaning RN? Jmo
Gerlach likes to play it off to people that he’s old and forgets a lot but Gerlach is smart, I just hope that the jury’s realize that Rita helped 4 Serial killers get custody of their granddaughter and to get full access to what ever inheritance, Social Security and property that SW stood to get, JMO

Your first question about defense attorneys, can they confer with other..?
Got me wondering if that issue was covered in the early hearings relating to the gag orders. I don’t remember clearly. Does anyone?
I assumed that so early on in the proceedings, individual attorneys would not want to confer or share info. as it might not benefit their client. Meaning, let’s wait a bit and see how things play out, who may be offered a deal or which defendant may talk, before conferring with other attorneys.
There is a term, joint defense privilege or common interest rule
Here is the Wikipedia link.
It seems complicated. I can’t figure out if it applies to these cases, Wagners.
https://en.m.wikipedi a.org/wiki/Joint_defense_privilege

“The joint defense privilege, or common-interest rule, is an extension of the attorney–client privilege. Under “common interest” or “joint defense” doctrine, parties with shared interest in actual or potential litigation against common adversary may share privileged information without waiving their right to assert attorney–client privilege. Because the joint defense "privilege sometimes may apply outside the context of actual litigation, what the parties call a ‘joint defense’ privilege is more aptly termed the ‘common interest’ rule.””
It goes on and on.

A google search of these terms brings up many articles, but all are too complicated for me to understand when or to whom this rule or privilege would apply.

IMO, thus no link, but yes, I remember early on, Judge Deering telling the attorneys they were free to speak with the co-defendants or their attorneys, in order to defend their clients. Ugh..IMO, the Judge will regret this light decision. All JMO

Pretty sure they can, from that quote and based on a question that WS member PrairieWind answered for me several weeks ago. They're a verified atty. I can ask again, though, to be sure.

Again, and dont mean to be mean, but IMO, the Prosecution will offer NO plea bargains in these trials, especially Rita Newcomb's trial starting tomorrow. The prosecution is at peace with the evidence they possess, and my opinion is NO MERCY for this so-called great grandmother in her wicked and evil ways. I hope she goes to prison for the maximum time allowed!

ETA: Just checked last message from PrairieWind and, while they didn't address that issue specifically, I'm not sure the defendants attorneys would share much. It depends, probably on the defendants. If any attorney is planning to ask his client to plea bargain, at some point, they probably wouldn't talk with the others. I'll ask PW.

Motion denied. The prosecution objected to these witnesses as stated in their Motion to Continue (postpone) the trial. Judge Deering ruled against their Motion and did not add any provision onto his ruling that would bar the defense from calling these witnesses to the stand.

The prosecution can however, argue in court to have these witnesses excused from taking the stand but that might interfere with defendant's right to call witnesses on her own behalf. Pretty weak case if 3 witnesses can derail it.
--Just opinion.

Please...say again??? Last paragraph. Pretty weak case against which side?

Personally, I think RN and Gerlach have presented themselves in a most derogatory manner since day one. Either this pair is truly inept or have deceived the court (but not me!) as being mentally unfit to stand, and try this trial (Newcomb and Gerlach, respectively). I cannot wait until this trial starts tomorrow and I just hope the Jury can see through their dishonest tactics and find Rita Jo Newcomb guilty in all counts of her indictment. JMHO

"Hanna and I took the actions required for my name to be on the birth certificate."

JMO, but I don't read it that way at all. As a matter of fact, after seeing portions of some, but all of that one document, it is clear Jake Wagner was never named Sophia's father, nor was he given any rights as such. Why didn't he have his DNA tested is the biggest question here. IMO, too much baggage in his past and he wouldn't have won. Or perhaps...he is not the father of Sophia? Who knows or can prove?

Gerlach likes to play it off to people that he’s old and forgets a lot but Gerlach is smart, I just hope that the jury’s realize that Rita helped 4 Serial killers get custody of their granddaughter and to get full access to what ever inheritance, Social Security and property that SW stood to get, JMO
Yes...he makes it a point to be whiney.

Please...say again??? Last paragraph. Pretty weak case against which side?

Canepa says this:

"..The state cannot fathom, and the defense has not articulated, what relevant and admissible testimony these witnesses would have to offer in this case,”

“It is the state’s belief that the defense only seeks to call these witnesses in order to impeach them or to force them to assert their Fifth Amendment rights and refuse to testify.”

If Canepa thinks this then it means the witnesses won't say anything to hurt her case because they don't have any relevant testimony. If they take the 5th that won't hurt her case either because again, the Jury won't hear anything from them that is relevant in proving Rita innocent.

Thus, if Canepa wants these witnesses thrown out of court because they could hurt her case, is her case weak? How could they hurt her case?
I'm not saying she thinks they will hurt her case, but why did she put this in her Motion? It appears she doesn't want to cross examine them, why not if her case is strong?

Cross examine the heck out of them, make them look like unreliable witnesses, turn it to a State advantage. Just opinion, there are various ways to "read" this.

JMO, but I don't read it that way at all. As a matter of fact, after seeing portions of some, but all of that one document, it is clear Jake Wagner was never named Sophia's father, nor was he given any rights as such. Why didn't he have his DNA tested is the biggest question here. IMO, too much baggage in his past and he wouldn't have won. Or perhaps...he is not the father of Sophia? Who knows or can prove?

But your right, unless Jake can prove he tried to get on the BC it's just more spinning.

When was the DNA requested for SW?

Where is this quoted from, please, and is there proof that HR requested Jake's name on the birth certificate? If she had, there would be no reason for him to file such a document on April 28. Such a crock, IMO.

Amen, Johnny.

Canepa says this:

"..The state cannot fathom, and the defense has not articulated, what relevant and admissible testimony these witnesses would have to offer in this case,”

“It is the state’s belief that the defense only seeks to call these witnesses in order to impeach them or to force them to assert their Fifth Amendment rights and refuse to testify.”

If Canepa thinks this then it means the witnesses won't say anything to hurt her case because they don't have any relevant testimony. If they take the 5th that won't hurt her case either because again, the Jury won't hear anything from them that is relevant in proving Rita innocent.

Thus, if Canepa wants these witnesses thrown out of court because they could hurt her case, is her case weak? How could they hurt her case?
I'm not saying she thinks they will hurt her case, but why did she put this in her Motion? It appears she doesn't want to cross examine them, why not if her case is strong?

Cross examine the heck out of them, make them look like unreliable witnesses, turn it to a State advantage. Just opinion, there are various ways to "read" this.

BS, IMO. Let the trial begin.

Where is this quoted from, please, and is there proof that HR requested Jake's name on the birth certificate? If she had, there would be no reason for him to file such a document on April 28. Such a crock, IMO.
It's in the documents here:
Just because Jake wrote it does not make that statement true.

Last edited:
Personally, I think RN and Gerlach have presented themselves in a most derogatory manner since day one. Either this pair is truly inept or have deceived the court (but not me!) as being mentally unfit to stand, and try this trial (Newcomb and Gerlach, respectively). I cannot wait until this trial starts tomorrow and I just hope the Jury can see through their dishonest tactics and find Rita Jo Newcomb guilty in all counts of her indictment. JMHO

RN's brief stint on the witness stand in the previous hearing and Gerlach's interesting and confusing attempts to argue in her behalf indicate it's going to be a real "crazy train" tomorrow. Be prepared to be confused, unpleasantly surprised, occasionally amused. :eek::oops:o_O:rolleyes:

It's in the documents here:
Just because Jake wrote it does not make that statement true.

So does anyone know if JW paid child support or was it another way to beat the state and let the tax payers raise his kids, JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member