Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King #2

(To me) It's obvious her boyfriend is responsible. Find out who he was, find her killer.

Has any of her then-friends talked yet?

If investigators have tracked down any friends/acquaintances during the time she went missing and the time she was found and interviewed, there has been no mention of it that I've seen.
I think a few of us were in agreement, before she was identified, that her injuries & death were most likely the result of domestic violence.

If investigators have tracked down any friends/acquaintances during the time she went missing and the time she was found and interviewed, there has been no mention of it that I've seen.
I think a few of us were in agreement, before she was identified, that her injuries & death were most likely the result of domestic violence.

Most certainly domestic violence. I'll be shocked if it wasn't

She had no shoes, like she was comfortable at someone's home

It seems personal because of the beating and strangulation. Women murdered by partners are most often strangled. But then there's the lifestyle of hitching rides all over the country.
She may have just finally met up with the wrong man. Hadn't she recently left her mother's home? Also was recently in Shelby County (The Way??) Would family know if she had a friend she was travelling with?
I'm thinking whoever placed her in that roadside ditch left a ton of DNA evidence. Wonder if all of her clothing was kept and may still be possible to test for DNA. It doesn't sound like she was just pushed out of a vehicle either. And location seems like someone familiar with the area.

I was reading over the detectives' update on previous page here, of Marcia's known locations in the 2 weeks or so before her murder. It seems she may have been on her way back to The Way from her mother's home. Or to a group of followers possibly near Troy.

I ran across this article about The Way in the Washington Post published just 6 months after Marcia's death. It explains the cult in historical terms and how it was operating in her day. It is quite lengthy but a very good and informative read. There are members and former members statements too. One thing deep into the article that struck me was how the cult bought up properties in different areas of the country. One property was in New Mexico, used as a survivalist training camp. Could explain the pollen analysis on her buckskin jacket.
I hope it can be accessed as sometimes the Washington Post only gives a few free reads before requiring a subscription.
Does LE read here? This may be of interest to them also if they dont already have information on this cult that was current and published at the time of her death. LE has stated for some reason, that they believe she was heavily involved.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...of-many/a328f0cf-0b02-41fc-8a62-28757730bce8/

I was reading over the detectives' update on previous page here, of Marcia's known locations in the 2 weeks or so before her murder. It seems she may have been on her way back to The Way from her mother's home. Or to a group of followers possibly near Troy.

I ran across this article about The Way in the Washington Post published just 6 months after Marcia's death. It explains the cult in historical terms and how it was operating in her day. It is quite lengthy but a very good and informative read. There are members and former members statements too. One thing deep into the article that struck me was how the cult bought up properties in different areas of the country. One property was in New Mexico, used as a survivalist training camp. Could explain the pollen analysis on her buckskin jacket.
I hope it can be accessed as sometimes the Washington Post only gives a few free reads before requiring a subscription.
Does LE read here? This may be of interest to them also if they dont already have information on this cult that was current and published at the time of her death. LE has stated for some reason, that they believe she was heavily involved.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...of-many/a328f0cf-0b02-41fc-8a62-28757730bce8/

When I spoke to the detective on her case a year or two ago, he said he read this thread, but this was before Marcia was id'd. Not sure about now, though.

Trying to use latest forensic methods to catch her killer.
Once authorities were able to identify the body as Marcia King of Little Rock, Arkansas, Miami County Sheriff’s detectives have been able to reconstruct her whereabouts, relationships, and other information from the weeks leading up to the discovery of her remains on Greenlee Road west of Troy in April of 1981.

A scientific breakthrough able to extract nuclear DNA profiles from a rootless hair shaft gives investigators the opportunity to reexamine hair evidence collected from the crime scene. Previously, hair samples had to contain a root bulb in order to pinpoint a DNA pattern that could be cross referenced with the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) to search for a match.

Now, all foreign hairs collected have the potential to provide investigators with searchable DNA data.

As a result, the Miami County Sheriff’s Office is reviewing all evidence related to their unsolved homicides.

Investigators are awaiting results of testing on hair evidence from the Marcia King case.

The investigation remains ongoing, and anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at 937-440-6085, or click here to leave an anonymous tip.

Jane 'Buckskin Girl' Doe identified after 37 years
V7WRTNBQNFC77JWXBDLUFVFTP4.jpg

Marcia King was nicknamed "The Buckskin Girl" for 37 years until her remains were finally identified in April 2018 (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
MIAMI COUNTY, OH (FOX19 NOW) - On April 24, 1981, a 21-year-old woman was found strangled to death along a road in Miami County, Ohio.

Her name remained a mystery for 37 years.

Finally, on Wednesday, investigators identified the Jane Doe who became known as "The Buckskin Girl": Marcia L. King, of Arkansas.

King had been dead just a few hours when authorities discovered her body on Greenlee Road, about 20 miles north of Dayton. She was fully clothed, wearing jeans and a fringed buckskin jacket with a Native American design.

That jacket became a key identifier in the cold case and evolved Jane Doe's nickname to "The Buckskin Girl."

King's killer has never been found, but authorities say the case will move forward now that the victim has been identified.

Investigators are focusing on the last month of King's life. She was known to have ties to Pittsburgh and Louisville, Ky., areas...

LINK:
Jane 'Buckskin Girl' Doe identified after 37 years

I grew up in The Way ministry and worry that tracking down the people who may have know her at the time will be difficult - though not impossible as I have seen discussions on message boards of former TWI members who knew Marcia in Pittsburgh before her murder. I hope with continued DNA advancements and dogged police work that Marcia's case is solved one day.

Somewhere on WS there was a post by a local to the area she was found in who mentioned the local's gossip was that she was killed by a jealous boyfriend. I'd bet a sizeable amount of cash the killer is still around that area, & probably not even concerned about being linked to her death. Violence against women is still often treated like a laughing matter in backwater parts of the United States. It's even been a battle to get laws in metropolitan areas of the US caught up to where Domestic Violence issues can be addressed....Just saying!

Just a question, Does anyone know how to get a hold of the administration of "Who Was Buckskin Girl" Fb page( I believe it is Springrain)? I tried to message her here and on Fb, but I haven't got a response. Thanks!

I grew up in The Way ministry and worry that tracking down the people who may have know her at the time will be difficult - though not impossible as I have seen discussions on message boards of former TWI members who knew Marcia in Pittsburgh before her murder. I hope with continued DNA advancements and dogged police work that Marcia's case is solved one day.

Can you say what message boards? Are they public or private for members only?
So you mind telling how you came to leave The Way? Just curious.

Can you say what message boards? Are they public or private for members only?
So you mind telling how you came to leave The Way? Just curious.

It is called the Greasespot Cafe. It isn't very active nowadays but is still up online.

My mom joined the group when I was a toddler so I was part of it most of my life. When I was a teen it became apparent to me what it was and I knew I didn't want to be a part of it. It wasn't pleasant living in my house once I expressed my thoughts about the group in my late teens. I got a scholarship to college and left home when I graduated. Didn't have much to do with my family for a while until the group imploded in 2000. I spoke about growing up in a cult on a podcast called Made Us if you have interest in the experience or the Way Ministry specifically.

It is called the Greasespot Cafe. It isn't very active nowadays but is still up online.

My mom joined the group when I was a toddler so I was part of it most of my life. When I was a teen it became apparent to me what it was and I knew I didn't want to be a part of it. It wasn't pleasant living in my house once I expressed my thoughts about the group in my late teens. I got a scholarship to college and left home when I graduated. Didn't have much to do with my family for a while until the group imploded in 2000. I spoke about growing up in a cult on a podcast called Made Us if you have interest in the experience or the Way Ministry specifically.

Sorry you lived through that. Religious abuse can be the worst, since it's a cultural taboo to intrude on people's spiritual belief system.

I found some photos on that message board(The Greasespot Cafe)... although, I can't post them on here because it would be against the rules(which is understandable). They were photos from the time period that Marcia would have been a member.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back