GUILTY CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #68

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I've followed this case in here from day one. I don't know why a missing person in Colorado caught my attention waaaay down in southeast Ohio but it did. I'm a man full growed, had been a sergeant in the Army, a Captain with a sheriff's department and now retired after 25 years in corrections but the verdict brought tears to my eyes. No shame. Praying for peace for Kelsey's family, friends, and all who had to deal with investigating and prosecuting this horrific case.
I'm right there with you Mudflap! I'm near Kings Island! This was my first every case here on websleuths.

One other thing of note that May said in the press conference. A reporter asked if they had taken safety precautions for the people whose names were on PF's hit list. May said, "Absolutely. For those that you've heard about, and those that you haven't heard about... we've notified every single one of them and taken precautions."

I wonder what else they learned.
I expect all the B’s to be on the hit list so when he beat the charges in all his arrogance there would be no one left to claim custody of the baby IMO

rsbm
I think Sam has done an excellent job, I hope he covers the Kelsie Schelling case that is going to trial here soon.

Oh that would be fabulous. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll be there with bells on.

(Speaking of perps’ mamas—-Donthe’s mama’s been reading cookbooks about “eye of newt” too! Despicable folks.

Kelsie’s mom, Laura, digs through dirt in the ditches herself looking for her daughter and unborn grandson, Kadrey. No mom should ever have to do that. I can’t wait for all of them to get the books thrown at them too!!!! Donthe is what you get when you mix Chris Watts and PF, killing his pregnant girlfriend!!!!!)

Did you expect victim impact statements and sentencing to take place immediately after the verdict? For some reason, I was not anticipating that. I guess those victim impact statements had to be prepared, or in Cheryl's case, the letter written in advance. Thank goodness for the Guilty verdict. We expected, but how horrible would it be to have those remarks and letter prepared, then never even get the chance to say.

In other cases I have followed, that usually doesn't take place until several weeks after the verdict. But I'm glad it all happened rapidly in this case.

Would the defendant's family be allowed to give a statement before sentencing (vom)? Doesn't sound like they did, but would that have been allowed? Not like it even matters when it's a life sentence without parole, plus a few hundred extra years. But any case, very glad for no Mama Watts "Son, I forgive you" type theatrics. I imagine that PF would have been given an opportunity to say something before he was sentenced... and once again chose to remain silent. I haven't read anything on that, so just curious.
To be honest, I don't want to hear anything SF has to say. She said more than enough when Kelsey was alive. Then plead the 5th to protect herself from having to testify to the truth about what time he came home for Thanksgiving dinner, the fire in the back yard, etc.

I think of them every time I’m in a Kelsey thread. Or any thread. Not a day has gone by where I haven’t thought of them and that’s probably going to be true for the rest of my life.

It changed the way I look at the world, yet it feels wrong saying that when I know how much more it’s affected others who were closer to her or closer to the case. The crime was horrific and many people have a permanent hole in their lives because she and the girls are gone. But even if those things somehow magically went away the impact of the aftermath is mind-numbing for so many people. Her family and friends continue to be hounded by press and trolls. They’re hounded everywhere. At least one instance of someone with a dying family member who had to have their hospital room moved and fake name used because there are horrible people out there who just want to post whatever they can.

Kids have have been affected. Trust and security are gone. School’s different for them now. Grades have fallen. Bullies are born. Many will recover but some might not.

For so many people, life as they know it has forever changed and not for the better. Home purchases have had to be cancelled. Relationships get stressed. Mental and physical health suffers.

I needed to bring that up to answer your question. Because when I “watched” the trial what hit me the most were all these innocent people who’s lives are never going to be the same. Every one of those people on the paper towel list that know someone actively wanted them dead. Imagine finding out someone who you took under your wing wanted you dead. Imagine being his wife.

The people who worked w/Kelsey will be bonded by this horrible tragedy and reminded of it every time they try to recruit a new instructor. Her students—how many if them will be hit w/a wave of sadness out nowhere when flying a plane?? KK’s kids. KK’s friends. KK’s hospital. The woman who gave KB the baby gate and other neighbors will have a hard time selling their homes. Some may have been financially secure a year ago and in a financial pickle now.

It blows my mind, and yet that’s nothing compared to what KB’s family is in for. TV movies. True crime documentaries. Podcasts. Lots of podcasts. And Books. Maybe by KK. Maybe by jury members. Maybe by some woman in the midwest who writes PF in prison. Who knows. It’s a nightmare that doesn’t stop.

I’d like to think the internet trolls and podcasters devouring anyone associated w/the Watts case and the comments they generate full of lies, mean things and the occasional death threat—will leave the Berreth family and associated innocents alone. There’s not as much controversy here. We have almost universal agreement that Kelsey was “good” while Patrick’s corner is empty. (though I’m sure he’s getting plenty of fan mail). Even his family has gotten pretty quiet so maybe folks in this case will be spared. Probably not. I’ve learned there are some people who are just so awful they’ll say just anything for clicks and thrills. They have no conscience and nothing can be done to stop them. It sucks.

When you see this stuff it’s not much of a leap to start thinking people suck. There are days now when I really feel that way. I hate it and I hate knowing with every new crime like this a new group of happy, innocent people are going to be tossed into that world.

I hope in the process of ranting I managed to answer your question.

Hugs!!!!!!!

To me, it's the difference between moral definition of criminal and legal definition of criminal.
Morally they are no different, but alas legally they are.

From my own standpoint in this case...personally...I think she is worse because she could have stopped it many, many, many, many times and she didn't. We all agree she was on board.

But..she didn't actually do it..and she wasn't there when it happened. So legally, not as bad.
To me..worse.

I would just like to add that PF could have stopped it at any time. Perhaps when his then friend JM told him to get that nonsense out of his head! They are both despicable, but I could never say she was worse. I would call it even.

KK seems to know how to wrangle cows so I suppose she can pursue a career much like Patrick's with some donkey manicure skills added. Probably an opening near Cripple Creek, don't ya think?.

To have studied her way through the rigorous math and science of a nursing degree and be denied work in her field carries its own humiliation.

Even if she misses only 18 months of her children's lives while in prison, that's a whole lot of loss.

I wonder if she was the shining star in her family, what with being Rodeo Queen and all, and now she's the black sheep (which I suppose is especially bad on a cattle ranch)!

So, yes, her life is shot.
Hmmm.

I think you’re definitely on to something here, career-wise.

I do believe there’s an empty bunk on the Franch where KK will find privacy while wrangling beasts.

Bonus: She can ‘nurse’ Ma, PRN.

(Oh wait! I already said that in my sentence about beasts.)

To be honest, I don't want to hear anything SF has to say. She said more than enough when Kelsey was alive. Then plead the 5th to protect herself from having to testify to the truth about what time he came home for Thanksgiving dinner, the fire in the back yard, etc.
Oh I don't either. At all. I was just curious about the sentencing format because I didn't expect that today.

Frazee asked Kenney to kill Berreth three times, Colorado Bureau of Investigation Agent Gregg Slater testified in February, adding that he was angry each time she didn’t execute one of his plans, including using a poisoned drink from Starbucks.

“I think, based on my observations of Patrick Frazee over the last year, that there’s a potential that Patrick Frazee indicates and is consistent with a sociopath,” Beth Reid, one of the prosecutors on the case, told NBC News after the verdict. “That’s a person who has basically an inability to feel empathy with other people.”
Patrick Frazee was sentenced to life plus 156 years in death of fiancée, Kelsey Berreth

I wouldn’t bet my life on it. I still think SF is way past her eyeballs in this case. I don’t believe PF ever did anything without Ma’s approval. Never turn your back on those two. In MO KK is the first target especially if she does time. Much easier target. Next on the list is the Berreths because they have the baby and it is their fault PF is locked away. With them gone she would claim custody. I know LEO is watching her but she is no different then PF and it is MO she has already placed somethings in motion. I pray for the Berreths that they never let their guard down. The sooner they can bring charges against her the better I will feel.
Good points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member