VA VA - Ralph Leon Jackson, Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter, 4 May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
HARRISONBURG -- Ralph Leon Jackson could have expected at least a life term in prison when entering federal court to be sentenced for shooting two people last year at a scenic overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What he could not know was the intensity his victims' families and friends would show Thursday as they labeled him cowardly, cold-blooded, sick and selfish.

Blasts from Jackson's 20-gauge shotgun and an ensuing fight disfigured Christina Floyd, then 19, of Palmyra, and killed Charlottesville disc jockey Timothy Davis, 27.

"I'll never be able to forgive you for that," Daniel Olewine, a friend, said directly to Jackson, who had turned in his chair to face whatever might be said.

Staring back at the killer during almost an hour of testimony was a framed photo of Davis propped up on the witness podium.

From there, his mother, Leticia Davis, talked about her only child as a man motivated to advance his radio career and begin a family. He enjoyed doing simple things, like being with his two cats and hanging out with friends. He worked closely with volunteers at WNRN, including Floyd, and considered the station's signal tower on Carters Mountain to be a favorite place.

"When you shot him, he was doing one of those simple things: He was just enjoying a sunset on a beautiful spring day with a pretty girl on a mountain overlook," Davis said during a tearful, 10-minute statement. "At least a beautiful view was the last thing Tim saw before you shot out his big, brown, beautiful eyes. I shudder to think of the horrific pain he must have felt."

U.S. District Judge Samuel Wilson sentenced 57-year-old Jackson, of Stuarts Draft, to life plus 35 additional years in prison, without the possibility of parole.

Reading a brief statement, Jackson apologized to the families, and said he hopes they see some justice in his sentence.

"I do not now, nor do I ever expect to understand, my actions," Jackson said.

Authorities never pinpointed a motive for the shooting.

From victim statements, the randomness of the brutal attack still weighs on them.

"I've never been fearful of much in my entire life ... felt pretty damn near invincible," Floyd wrote in a statement read aloud by an attorney. "April 5, 2010, all that changed drastically. I will never be the same person."

Authorities said that on the night of the shooting at Rock Point Overlook, Jackson sat waiting in his car about 15 minutes before firing his first shot out the window. He fired again while approaching the victims, who were both left injured on the ground.

Floyd fought back, but Jackson knocked her about 6 feet over a cliff and rained down rocks that fractured her skull and broke her finger. A shotgun blast had punctured one of her lungs.

She fled to a passing pickup truck that rushed her away.

Rescuers found Timothy Davis 200 feet below the cliff.

Two days after the attack, a tip led authorities to Jackson's ranch-style house at 1880 Howardsville Turnpike. He'd had no prior criminal record, authorities said, and was described by a neighbor and his employers at Delmar's Body Shop in Staunton as a quiet type who mostly kept to himself. He was married, with two children, and had served in the Army, according to Assistant Federal Public Defender Frederick T. Heblich Jr.

Davis died two days after Jackson's arrest.

"I can't erase those images of Tim at the hospital," Leticia Davis told the near-capacity courtroom, where more than 50 people listened.

She said she tries to remember the good things about her son, including how he loved curry chicken and had a dry sense of humor like that of his father, who died of cancer exactly five years before Thursday's hearing. Her speaking became more emotional as she concluded by telling Jackson that his life sentence should be a "living hell that you deserve."

Friends and relatives remembered Timothy Davis as generous with his time and as genuine, "like an older brother, there to help with problems."

"What distinguished Tim was his enthusiasm, his drive, his love for people," said Michael Friend, WNRN general manager.

In Floyd's statement, she described the difficulties in telling people what happened to her, often opting to refer to "the accident." She said hand surgeries keep her from playing the flute and lacrosse.

And she said she fears when cars pass by and her own reflection in dark windows.

"Sometimes I'm afraid to sleep," she wrote.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ronald Huber called Floyd's strength "unbelievable," and said authorities built much of their case on her recollections. The prosecutor was choked up by the testimony Thursday, and said it was the most compelling he has heard.

In her statement, Floyd said she went to the parkway that day with Davis for the reason many others do too: to get away from stress.

"Little did we know," she wrote, "it would be the worst day of our lives."

This is the only reference tot he military that I have found.

Blue Ridge Parkway shooter gets more prison time after emotional testimony

Thanks for posting the link Rob, i'll try and see if i can confirm anything from this later. And yes that article is blocked in the EU which is why i hadn't seen it, i'm sure jaejae can confirm that.

HARRISONBURG -- Ralph Leon Jackson could have expected at least a life term in prison when entering federal court to be sentenced for shooting two people last year at a scenic overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

What he could not know was the intensity his victims' families and friends would show Thursday as they labeled him cowardly, cold-blooded, sick and selfish.

Blasts from Jackson's 20-gauge shotgun and an ensuing fight disfigured Christina Floyd, then 19, of Palmyra, and killed Charlottesville disc jockey Timothy Davis, 27.

"I'll never be able to forgive you for that," Daniel Olewine, a friend, said directly to Jackson, who had turned in his chair to face whatever might be said.

Staring back at the killer during almost an hour of testimony was a framed photo of Davis propped up on the witness podium.

From there, his mother, Leticia Davis, talked about her only child as a man motivated to advance his radio career and begin a family. He enjoyed doing simple things, like being with his two cats and hanging out with friends. He worked closely with volunteers at WNRN, including Floyd, and considered the station's signal tower on Carters Mountain to be a favorite place.

"When you shot him, he was doing one of those simple things: He was just enjoying a sunset on a beautiful spring day with a pretty girl on a mountain overlook," Davis said during a tearful, 10-minute statement. "At least a beautiful view was the last thing Tim saw before you shot out his big, brown, beautiful eyes. I shudder to think of the horrific pain he must have felt."

U.S. District Judge Samuel Wilson sentenced 57-year-old Jackson, of Stuarts Draft, to life plus 35 additional years in prison, without the possibility of parole.

Reading a brief statement, Jackson apologized to the families, and said he hopes they see some justice in his sentence.

"I do not now, nor do I ever expect to understand, my actions," Jackson said.

Authorities never pinpointed a motive for the shooting.

From victim statements, the randomness of the brutal attack still weighs on them.

"I've never been fearful of much in my entire life ... felt pretty damn near invincible," Floyd wrote in a statement read aloud by an attorney. "April 5, 2010, all that changed drastically. I will never be the same person."

Authorities said that on the night of the shooting at Rock Point Overlook, Jackson sat waiting in his car about 15 minutes before firing his first shot out the window. He fired again while approaching the victims, who were both left injured on the ground.

Floyd fought back, but Jackson knocked her about 6 feet over a cliff and rained down rocks that fractured her skull and broke her finger. A shotgun blast had punctured one of her lungs.

She fled to a passing pickup truck that rushed her away.

Rescuers found Timothy Davis 200 feet below the cliff.

Two days after the attack, a tip led authorities to Jackson's ranch-style house at 1880 Howardsville Turnpike. He'd had no prior criminal record, authorities said, and was described by a neighbor and his employers at Delmar's Body Shop in Staunton as a quiet type who mostly kept to himself. He was married, with two children, and had served in the Army, according to Assistant Federal Public Defender Frederick T. Heblich Jr.

Davis died two days after Jackson's arrest.

"I can't erase those images of Tim at the hospital," Leticia Davis told the near-capacity courtroom, where more than 50 people listened.

She said she tries to remember the good things about her son, including how he loved curry chicken and had a dry sense of humor like that of his father, who died of cancer exactly five years before Thursday's hearing. Her speaking became more emotional as she concluded by telling Jackson that his life sentence should be a "living hell that you deserve."

Friends and relatives remembered Timothy Davis as generous with his time and as genuine, "like an older brother, there to help with problems."

"What distinguished Tim was his enthusiasm, his drive, his love for people," said Michael Friend, WNRN general manager.

In Floyd's statement, she described the difficulties in telling people what happened to her, often opting to refer to "the accident." She said hand surgeries keep her from playing the flute and lacrosse.

And she said she fears when cars pass by and her own reflection in dark windows.

"Sometimes I'm afraid to sleep," she wrote.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ronald Huber called Floyd's strength "unbelievable," and said authorities built much of their case on her recollections. The prosecutor was choked up by the testimony Thursday, and said it was the most compelling he has heard.

In her statement, Floyd said she went to the parkway that day with Davis for the reason many others do too: to get away from stress.

"Little did we know," she wrote, "it would be the worst day of our lives."

This is the only reference tot he military that I have found.

Blue Ridge Parkway shooter gets more prison time after emotional testimony

Thanks for that I am sure I saw he was a ten year military veteran in one report but that was some time ago and do not think I saved it. It was from that public defender though so thanks for the post.

Here is another report about the above case where an arrest has been made through the use of investigative genetic genealogy;

Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey announced today that a 64-year-old man has been charged with the murders of two women using investigative genetic genealogy to help solve the decades-old crimes.

It marks the first time in Los Angeles County that a criminal case has been filed using the innovative forensic tool.

"Thanks to advances in technology and forensics, we are now able to virtually reach back in time and find those responsible for these vicious crimes," District Attorney Lacey said.

District Attorney Jackie Lacey Files First Investigative Genetic Genealogy Case in Los Angeles County

Here is another report about the above case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a suspect:

‘DNA can be faulty’ says attorney for man charged in Reseda and San Bernardino County cold case murders

Here is another report about the above case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a suspect:

‘DNA can be faulty’ says attorney for man charged in Reseda and San Bernardino County cold case murders

Again I say to the Public Defenders in my opinion there has been a misidentification of an innocent man as the offender in the Golden State Killer case and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. It is also my view the conviction of Mr Talbott in Washington State was a wrongful one and he of course still protests his innocence as he did at the time of the verdict:

Mr. Vaultz maintains his innocence,” his defense attorney, Damon Lamont Hobdy, told reporters outside the courtroom. “Surprisingly, Mr. Vaultz has taken this very well … he understands that this is going to be a fight.”

Hobdy said he did not yet have discovery documents from the prosecution, but indicated that the evidence tying his client to the murders could be flawed.

“Their contention is that it’s a DNA case,” Hobdy said. “DNA can be faulty.”

Here is an interesting looking video. As I have said in my opinion the debate about ethics in the use in genetic genealogy needs to be placed in the context that in my view LE have wrongly identified a number of innocent men as the offenders in serious crime cases:

I think this video is worth posting again from ISHI where Detective Holes presents his case against the suspect Joseph DeAngelo in the Golden State Killer case and it includes a slide show including the accused Golden State Killer Joseph DeAngelo:

Here are details of another cases were investigative genetic genealogy has been used to identify a suspect in a serious crime case and of course it was a horrible crime and the victim and her relatives deserve justice:

An Arizona man is arrested in the 1979 murder of a woman in Nevada - CNN

Here is another report about the above case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a suspect in the case:

Arizona man to plead not guilty in 1979 killing in Nevada

Here is another report about the above case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a suspect in the case:

Part of the above report;

RENO (AP) — A 73-year-old auto dealer from Arizona is expected to plead not guilty in Reno in the cold-case killing of a California woman more than 40 years ago.

RELATED: Possible serial killer captured in northern Arizona

Defense attorney David Houston said Monday he intends on Tuesday to challenge DNA evidence that prosecutors say leads to Charles Gary Sullivan.

Here appears to be a case where there has been another arrest after the use of investigative genealogy:

DNA On Plastic Spoon Leads To Livermore Man's Arrest For 1997 Rapes

I of course do not know who the offender is in the above case. What I will say again is that in my opinion Joseph DeAngelo is not the Golden State Killer and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and this in my view is of relevance to the defence of any one arrested through the use of investigative genealogy inspired by the arrest in the Golden State Killer case:

Martinez has lived next door to Vien and his family for 20 years, and says Vien is married with at least two daughters in their 20s and a granddaughter.

“Very proud grandpa,” said Martinez. “Walking around the neighborhood like grandpas do, and I thought nothing of it, then within two weeks, this breaks. Shocking.”

Vien is scheduled to enter a plea during a scheduled court appearance on Wednesday. He is currently being held without bail.

I of course do not know who the offender is in the above case. What I will say again is that in my opinion Joseph DeAngelo is not the Golden State Killer and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and this in my view is of relevance to the defence of any one arrested through the use of investigative genealogy inspired by the arrest in the Golden State Killer case:

Martinez has lived next door to Vien and his family for 20 years, and says Vien is married with at least two daughters in their 20s and a granddaughter.

“Very proud grandpa,” said Martinez. “Walking around the neighborhood like grandpas do, and I thought nothing of it, then within two weeks, this breaks. Shocking.”

Vien is scheduled to enter a plea during a scheduled court appearance on Wednesday. He is currently being held without bail.

I am in favour of criminals being caught and victims being identified. I just want to make people who are concerned about the use of investigative genetic genealogy that I believe LE have actually misidentified a number of innocent people as being the offenders in serious crime cases and this of course has serious consequences on the accused people and their families. I also believe this has relevance to the campaign to encourage people to enter their DNA into GEDMATCH and other websites and it is something that US Citizens and all people should be aware of before they make a decision to allow LE and genealogists to access their DNA:

DNA Doe Project has tentative identity for Clark County murder victim - Local News 8

Part of the above report;

RENO (AP) — A 73-year-old auto dealer from Arizona is expected to plead not guilty in Reno in the cold-case killing of a California woman more than 40 years ago.

RELATED: Possible serial killer captured in northern Arizona

Defense attorney David Houston said Monday he intends on Tuesday to challenge DNA evidence that prosecutors say leads to Charles Gary Sullivan.

Here is another report about the arrest in the above case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify the suspect:

Prosecutor: Suspect in 1979 killing may be a serial killer

Here is another report about a case where a man has recently been arrested through the use of investigative genealogy:

I do not know who the offender was in the above case but as I have stated in is my view that there have been many misidentifications through the use of flawed investigative genetic genealogy science and this has lead to innocent people being wrongly accused by LE who because of erroneous supposed DNA hits are a trillion to one convinced they have the right offender. These are often in very cold cases where the supposed DNA hits are difficult to counter through alibi's etc because of the length of time that has passed. It is my view that Mr Talbott in Washington State is innocent and was subject to a wrongful conviction and the FBI were aware there was no legitimate DNA hit in this case as they are aware that the actual offender in the Golden State Killer case was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. I believe Jackson was responsible for numerous crimes across the whole US and that a number of innocent men have been wrongly accused of his crimes through the use of scientifically flawed genetic genealogy science.

Last edited:
I do not know who the offender was in the above case but as I have stated in is my view that there have been many misidentifications through the use of flawed investigative genetic genealogy science and this has lead to innocent people being wrongly accused by LE who because of erroneous supposed DNA hits are a trillion to one convinced they have the right offender. These are often in very cold cases where the supposed DNA hits are difficult to counter through alibi's etc because of the length of time that has passed. It is my view that Mr Talbott in Washington State is innocent and was subject to a wrongful conviction and the FBI were aware there was no legitimate DNA hit in this case as they are aware that the actual offender in the Golden State Killer case was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. I believe Jackson was responsible for numerous crimes across the whole US and that a number of innocent men have been wrongly accused of his crimes through the use of scientifically flawed genetic genealogy science.

I want to make a view further points about what I have said above.

The reason I make these points is to try and protect innocent people and their families and also because it is just that the right people suffer for crimes. In the above case the DA has convinced himself the man is a Serial Killer on the basis of the DNA hit. As I say the FBI in my opinion were aware there was no valid DNA hit in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State and because this information was withheld from his defence they pursued a consensual intercourse defence which was never going to wash with the jury. I address the Public Defenders and say challenge the DNA hits directly as in the Alabama case and good luck because you can see what you are up against:

“All evidence points to defendant being a serial killer,” state Attorney General Aaron Ford said in a court filing submitted ahead of Charles Gary Sullivan’s arraignment Tuesday in Reno in the 1979 bludgeoning death of 20-year-old Julia Woodward. Sullivan, 73, pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.

However, no evidence was described in court and Sullivan’s attorney, David Houston, said in an interview he doesn’t believe DNA evidence that was presented to a grand jury ties Sullivan to Woodward’s killing.

“Even if DNA shows he had contact with her, where is the act of murder proved?” Houston asked.

Last edited:
I just want to make the point again that it is my opinion that in the case that inspired the use of investigative genetic genealogy an innocent man was actually misidentified by LE as the offender and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. Since his arrest many other people including many elderly people have been identified by LE as possible suspect in serious crime cases and there may have been similar mistakes in other cases.

I do not know who the offender is the Florida Serial Killer case but I am certain that in the Golden State Killer case there was a misidentification and the actual offender in the case was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. I also believe the conviction of Mr Talbott in Washington State was a wrongful conviction and the FBI were or are aware there is no legitimate DNA hit in this case. The point I am making is what I have just stated are relevant to the Florida Serial Killer case where LE clearly state in the video below they will be seeking the death penalty:

I do not know who the offender is the Florida Serial Killer case but I am certain that in the Golden State Killer case there was a misidentification and the actual offender in the case was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. I also believe the conviction of Mr Talbott in Washington State was a wrongful conviction and the FBI were or are aware there is no legitimate DNA hit in this case. The point I am making is what I have just stated are relevant to the Florida Serial Killer case where LE clearly state in the video below they will be seeking the death penalty:

CeCe Moore in the above video states there has been successful identifications in all cases where investigative genetic genealogy has been used. I say again to concerned people and Public Defenders that in the first case it was used the potential suspect identified was innocent because the science was flawed and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and CeCe Moore was incorrect in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State where is was actually wrongful conviction.

Of course it was LE in Florida who got a court order to access all the DNA profiles at GEDMATCH and here is another recent report about the use of investigative genetic genealogy in Florida:

DNA Labs International Employs a Team Approach to Solving Crime With Genealogy

In the above Press Conference ParaBon Labs lead genetic genealogy scientist clearly states that in every single case where investigative genetic genealogy has been used inspired by the Golden State Killer case there has been a correct identification. I do not believe this to be the case and I believe there have been many mistakes including by CeCe Moore and ParaBon Labs. One case where I believe there may have been a misidentification due to flawed science is the case of a man accused of an Alabama double murder. This man and others of course face the death penalty is found guilty:

State pursuing death penalty against suspected serial killer indicted on 3 more murder charges | MyCentralOregon.com

Here is part of the above article:

Genetic genealogy has been called a “game-changer” in the effort to crack cold cases. Since the arrest of the suspected “Golden State Killer” in April 2018, about 100 suspects have been identified through the technology, according to genealogy expert CeCe Moore.

Moore, who worked on the Hayes case, has appeared as an expert in ABC News “20/20” episodes and has been quoted in ABCNews.com articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong