Etiquette & Information Discussion

I've been going through the missing but not forgotten threads, finding those without posts, and adding a comment or a picture or update . I feel bad seeing any missing person without at least one comment and sometimes there is an update to the case I can post. Namus changed from .org to .com and posts are missing their photos which I am replacing. I just finished the 1970s and suddenly wondered if it fell under power posting? Is it all right or should I stop? I'm only trying to help and since I am retired, I have the time to do a research of several each day.
You are the bomb! Thank you for your work!

I read the rules and specifically the INSULTS and DEROGATORY COMMENTS section. Where do comments like "finally a voice of reason" or "finally someone who is educated" or "finally someone who isn't ruled by emotion" etc. fall with respect to this rule? Usually it happens when someone's opinions in that forum are vastly different than most of the other posters and it's a response to someone who posts something in line with their own opinion. I get that that can be a lonely and possibly frustrating position to be in but it's pretty insulting to almost everyone else in the thread. It's less of an actual compliment to that poster and more of a dig at everyone else. Is this something that should be reported or more of a scroll and roll / ignore poster thing?

Please tell me what I did wrong. I have no idea. Thanks xoxo

Hi,
I am trying to post a reply regarding some general information I know about the area a person is listed as missing from. It keeps telling me I cannot post because my message is spam. I do not understand. I have read the rules and I am just listing General info to help other posters who have questions. Why am I unable to do reply? Please and thank you.

Hi,
I am trying to post a reply regarding some general information I know about the area a person is listed as missing from. It keeps telling me I cannot post because my message is spam. I do not understand. I have read the rules and I am just listing General info to help other posters who have questions. Why am I unable to do reply? Please and thank you.

Can you tell me either here or via PM what thread you are trying to post to so I can look into it for you?

Can you tell me either here or via PM what thread you are trying to post to so I can look into it for you?
Yes thank you for your quick response. I am trying to post in the thread for Sunny Sramek. I apologize, I’m still trying to figure out how to use the site so I’m not even sure if I am doing it correctly. However, I’m glad to see I was able to post and reply here.

Yes thank you for your quick response. I am trying to post in the thread for Sunny Sramek. I apologize, I’m still trying to figure out how to use the site so I’m not even sure if I am doing it correctly. However, I’m glad to see I was able to post and reply here.

I am not seeing anything that should block you from posting. Please try again and if that doesn’t work let me know and I can post it for you at the moment and will contact our tech support guru.

I am not seeing anything that should block you from posting. Please try again and if that doesn’t work let me know and I can post it for you at the moment and will contact our tech support guru.

Thank you, I was able to post this time! I appreciate your help!

I am new here and do try very hard to abide by the rules but I will make unintentional mistakes. I received an alert that my comment was deleted due to posting violations. A body was found in a vacant house and the owner and address of the house was listed on MSM. I posted a link to public records that showed much more information to help clarify relevant information about the house. The owner of the house is considered an "innocent" and is not allowed to be posted onto the forums.

I am new here and do try very hard to abide by the rules but I will make unintentional mistakes. I received an alert that my comment was deleted due to posting violations. A body was found in a vacant house and the owner and address of the house was listed on MSM. I posted a link to public records that showed much more information to help clarify relevant information about the house. The owner of the house is considered an "innocent" and is not allowed to be posted onto the forums.

I believe you've pretty much answered your own inquiry in the body of your post.

It's the deceased body, victim, decedent that's the topic of the thread and although the physical address was printed in the news, the innocent property owner has a right to privacy as does the identification of his/her personal assets.

Should the property owner ever be named a POI or suspect in the case, that individual can then be sleuthed including a link to the property record.

As a real estate investor and landlord with no control over the federal and state statutes for public recording of property owners, real estate taxes, deed, etc., I would hate to learn that my privacy invaded all over a crime sleuthing internet site because of the misfortune of a tenant (most of whom are personally unknown to me).

Furthermore, in the incident you reference in your post where the home owner's name was published in the MSM article, a responsible poster here typically will modify the posted article to include only the owner's initials and not his/her name cited by MSM. We do this specifically to protect their privacy and add an ETA disclaimer at the bottom of the post stating the owner's name edited by me to protect privacy.

*ETA - edited to add

Last edited:
How do I block posts from someone whose posts I do not care to read?

Thanks for your help.

How do I block posts from someone whose posts I do not care to read?

Thanks for your help.
Click on their name in the box to the right of their post. You will some information about them in a box, and in the right middle area of the box, there will be some orange text that says "Ignore." Click on Ignore and you will no longer see their posts.

Help!! The ask a Mod forum is closed, so I have no way to ask the question. Can someone please define "main stream media" for me? I posted a link to a webpage that was not social media, not a personal webpage, and was not specifically for one missing person, in fact wasn't even a missing person website, and it was removed for not being MSM. Is MSM limited to newspapers? I searched the admin forums and didn't see a definition. It wasn't in the FAQ either. Can someone help me out?

Help!! The ask a Mod forum is closed, so I have no way to ask the question. Can someone please define "main stream media" for me? I posted a link to a webpage that was not social media, not a personal webpage, and was not specifically for one missing person, in fact wasn't even a missing person website, and it was removed for not being MSM. Is MSM limited to newspapers? I searched the admin forums and didn't see a definition. It wasn't in the FAQ either. Can someone help me out?
NBC, ABC, CNN, etc., and legit newspapers (no enquirer type stuff).

Does anyone else have a problem with the search function? I checked if a thread was up and had name spelt right but it didn't show, but there was a thread. It's done this before, so it seems to be hit or miss? :confused:

Does anyone else have a problem with the search function? I checked if a thread was up and had name spelt right but it didn't show, but there was a thread. It's done this before, so it seems to be hit or miss? :confused:

Within the search feature, make sure you remove the checkmark from the box that says "search this thread" and if you want to search all of WS, also remove the checkmark from the box that says "search this forum".

I'm trying to understand why the Julia Mann threads were deleted. I understand that she was found. There is a whole forum for "located" persons so that cannot reasonably be the cause that her threads were scrubbed. There is also a section in the Rules saying that WS will not delete threads. Yet it seems to have happened here. Am I missing something? Can someone explain the specific circumstances that led to her thread being scrubbed from WS against the Rules?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back