UK - Man trapped upside-down on top of 290 foot tall chimney, Carlisle, 28 Oct 2019

From that link:

A family statement said: 'Phil was a strong, brave man who achieved a lot in his short life. Sadly, due to recent disclosures he made about historic trauma he suffered, Phil was battling with his mental health, with the love and support of his family and health professionals whilst trying to overcome this'

Terribly sad. Married with two children and three grandchildren, a popular and well loved chap. RIP Mr Longcake.

How sad :(. I wish he'd been able to get the help he needed :(.

ETA: I mean, I wish it would have been working to heal him. I realize he was getting help. So very sad :(.

Yeah, how did he climb a ladder that started 15 feet off the ground? I mean how is that even possible? Was he some amazing rock climber?

If you look at that video I posted, the last 10 seconds or so show a real close up of the chimney , and you can see there are metal brackets or something all the way up. I can only assume he managed to scramble up using those, or that there was something nearby to climb on to.

This is truly astounding. If he were intoxicated, how was he able to climb that massive chimney, only then for it to go haywire at the very top? RIP

Very desperate and in much mental anguish is my guess :( He looks very strong and fit too. Not many would have managed to climb up there.

I just want to give him a hug. He seems the kind of guy I'd like to be friends with.

What a horrible set of decisions the rescue services had to make - a helicopter could have made him fall, anyone climbing up the ladder could have made him fall. There's no way they could have let him fall in front of all those people let alone risking the lives of rescuers on the chimney. The only way he could have been saved, realistically, is if the 90m cherry picker was more instantly available. A tragic story all round.

What a horrible set of decisions the rescue services had to make - a helicopter could have made him fall, anyone climbing up the ladder could have made him fall. There's no way they could have let him fall in front of all those people let alone risking the lives of rescuers on the chimney. The only way he could have been saved, realistically, is if the 90m cherry picker was more instantly available. A tragic story all round.

Sadly, I think if it weren't for lawsuits, they might've tried the helicopter. Maybe that would've caused or contributed to his death, but at least there was a chance. Now he's dead anyway and had no chance with the cherrypicker.

Speaking publicly for the first time, Phil’s family have decided to talk to the Guardian to explain the circumstances surrounding his death in an effort to prevent similar tragedies.

In July, Phil told his family he had been sexually abused on a regular basis from the age of eight to 15. The perpetrator, he said, was still alive.

He had kept this secret all his adult life – even from his wife, Andrea, whom he married when they were both 17 – but he eventually opened up after his family noticed a sudden change in his character. “It was instantaneous,” said his son Rob Longcake, 31. “One minute he’s Dad as we know him and then he completely changed.”

Phil reported his allegations to Cumbria police on 3 August. Barely nine weeks later the investigation came to an end. The suspect, who denied any wrongdoing, was arrested and interviewed but later released without charge. In a statement, Cumbria police said they decided there would be no further action on evidential grounds as they could not corroborate Phil’s account.

Man who died on Carlisle chimney told police he was abused as child

Are there any theories as to how he became wedged? Getting tangled up trying to get off the ladder onto the roof or something? He must have been properly wedged to have been able to hold his own body weight all that time.

Are there any theories as to how he became wedged? Getting tangled up trying to get off the ladder onto the roof or something? He must have been properly wedged to have been able to hold his own body weight all that time.

He didn't get wedged, one of his feet got caught on the inside of the ladder. It's not clear if he slipped just before that point. As he was dangling by one foot, they were very cautious not to cause him to fall by vibration etc.

He didn't get wedged, one of his feet got caught on the inside of the ladder. It's not clear if he slipped just before that point. As he was dangling by one foot, they were very cautious not to cause him to fall by vibration etc.

I appreciate that, it's poor wording on my behalf - I wondered how his foot got caught in a way that stopped him from falling even though his body weight and gravity was against him

I've been wondering quite how it happened too. It seemed his stuck foot was right at the very top of the ladder. I'd assumed it was wedged between the ladder and the chimney.

Very very sad :(

Chimney death man 'upset over historical abuse'

A grandfather who died after being stuck upside down at the top of a 290ft chimney was upset by a decision not to prosecute allegations of historical sexual abuse, an inquest has heard.

Robert Philip Longcake placed himself in a "position of extreme peril" at the top of Dixons Chimney in Carlisle.

The court heard it was unclear whether he had tried to jump or had changed his mind and slipped, catching his ankle.

Coroner Dr Nicholas Shaw recorded a narrative verdict.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back