FL - Brandi Peters, 27, & her 3 kids found murdered, Tallahassee, 20 Nov 2010 *Guilty*

Defense looks unhappy about LWOP verdict. They had the jury polled. Even the judge was taken aback. Defense wanted a DP so they can make "wrongful conviction" hay. That's not going to happen now. He'll go through the usual appeal process and I believe only about 1% of those cases are overturned. So he's finished. Good riddance!

ETA: It seemed like pros didn't really care whether he got DP or not either. They just kinda left it up to the jury!
Plus it will cost him to appeal!

His whole goal of playing death row victim has been squashed by the jury. He really seems disappointed. So does the defense atty that was holding his hand.

ETA: Hangman Hankinson gave a consecutive sentence on all 4 counts. Hankman also has no parting words for Segura. Just a dry sentencing and a see ya!!!

Did you notice they had HS hand cuffed when the verdict was read. If they held hands it had to done under the table.

Yes defense looked disappointed, that is why she asked for the jury to be polled. I think she was in shock!

I did think for a bit it was Death until the end and Hankinson said Life.

CTV just 2 life sentences!

His whole goal of playing death row victim has been squashed by the jury. He really seems disappointed. So does the defense atty that was holding his hand.

ETA: Hangman Hankinson gave a consecutive sentence on all 4 counts. Hankman also has no parting words for Segura. Just a dry sentencing and a see ya!!!

Actually counts 2, 3, and 4 are concurrent. But they are consecutive to count 1.

Oh I wonder why Hankman did it like that? So he counted Brandi as one and then combined the kids into one and made them consecutive? Hm. I guess it doesn't matter, life is life and we only get one life to live. Ha. I'm glad it's over for the families and the prosecutors and the whole community. It's been a long time coming. I think it warranted death, however once I realized his defense team was trying to game a DP verdict, I didn't really want it to be death. I didn't want him to get all the extra attention that a DP verdict carries. I think as a narcissist that's what he craved and wanted to leverage.

Some interesting insight...

Alan Tuerkheimer
@atuerkheimer

Principal, Jury Consultant at Trial Methods Inc. Attorney. Psychologist. Media Commentator. Wisconsin Badger. Dog lover.

The DP is exceptionally rare in this County. Sometimes jurors feel the DP for certain defendants is the easy way out. These jurors may prefer to let them “rot” in prison. Or think death is what a defendant wants. Or perhaps these jurors just couldn’t direct someone to die
https://twitter.com/atuerkheimer

Oh I wonder why Hankman did it like that? So he counted Brandi as one and then combined the kids into one and made them consecutive? Hm. I guess it doesn't matter, life is life and we only get one life to live. Ha. I'm glad it's over for the families and the prosecutors and the whole community. It's been a long time coming. I think it warranted death, however once I realized his defense team was trying to game a DP verdict, I didn't really want it to be death. I didn't want him to get all the extra attention that a DP verdict carries. I think as a narcissist that's what he craved and wanted to leverage.

I wondered why the Judge did it like that, too. I don't love it, to be honest. Makes it kinda seem the kids' deaths weren't "as bad" or their lives weren't as valuable.

And I totally agree about the defense team gaming a DP verdict. Them putting up nobody, and saying nothing really backfired! Maybe they would have gotten the DP if they'd put up a fight at all.

I don't like the fact that the defense thought that this was game period. The cards were stacked against them to begin with. If they were smart they should have seen that from the beginning. They were too close to the defendant to serve him justice.

jmo moo

I have a question, why could the family of Brandi not give their victim impact statements? I know yesterday her sisters (transcript) copy was submitted to the court ( I saw HS immediately bury his head reading it) the judge even commented if she gave it, no outbursts, or else someone should read it for her.
My gosh. That’s important closure for the family IMO.
To speak at, about & to that horrid murderer.

MOO

Did you notice they had HS hand cuffed when the verdict was read. If they held hands it had to done under the table.

Yes defense looked disappointed, that is why she asked for the jury to be polled. I think she was in shock!

I did think for a bit it was Death until the end and Hankinson said Life.

CTV just 2 life sentences!

Narc drama.
I think they all, her included ,thought they would be on the talk show circuit in 2020.

Henry Segura Penalty Phase - Verdict & Sentencing

I don't like the fact that the defense thought that this was game period. The cards were stacked against them to begin with. If they were smart they should have seen that from the beginning. They were too close to the defendant to serve him justice.

jmo moo

Wow, what a tude that female defense lawyer has...that look she gave the jury! I love the fact that the judge pointed how stupid she was being.

I have a question, why could the family of Brandi not give their victim impact statements? I know yesterday her sisters (transcript) copy was submitted to the court ( I saw HS immediately bury his head reading it) the judge even commented if she gave it, no outbursts, or else someone should read it for her.
My gosh. That’s important closure for the family IMO.
To speak at, about & to that horrid murderer.

MOO
I think it changed when the defense decided to not put up any evidence. The Prosecution changed all of theirs also. They only put up papers showing the autopsy's of Brandi and the children.

They just interviewed Prince. He’s turning the case over to people who do appeals for a living. Uh yeah, he “prally” needs a paying job now.
Prince is still going on and on about foreign blood evidence & cell towers. Eyeroll , sigh, the party’s is over Mr Prince.

MOO

I think it changed when the defense decided to not put up any evidence. The Prosecution changed all of theirs also. They only put up papers showing the autopsy's of Brandi and the children.

What’s crazy is defense made a bad decision..following a bad decision.
1-Asked for a 6 person jury ( backfired)
2- No push back on DP (backfired)

Yeah that was my impression as well. I can’t imagine the state wants to get tied up in death penalty appellate issues for the next 10 years after how long it took to bring this piece of crap to justice.

I feel like the defense table was taunting the jury during the whole penalty phase. Their msg to them was that they weren’t even worthy of being addressed once they delivered guilty verdict. It’s truly nauseating. The female atty had an ATTITUDE!! Whew! I wonder if jury saw right through them. This was a smart jury! They probably realized that Segura was trying to manipulate them. They’ve seen him in action on the stand after all.

Yeah that was my impression as well. I can’t imagine the state wants to get tied up in death penalty appellate issues for the next 10 years after how long it took to bring this piece of crap to justice.

I feel like the defense table was taunting the jury during the whole penalty phase. Their msg to them was that they weren’t even worthy of being addressed once they delivered guilty verdict. It’s truly nauseating. The female atty had an ATTITUDE!! Whew! I wonder if jury saw right through them. This was a smart jury! They probably realized that Segura was trying to manipulate them. They’ve seen him in action on the stand after all.

Great post and analogy!

Prince said on CTV that he would probably pass it on to a Team of experts who deal with appeals.

Of course they have all the evidence HG is innocent. cough cough

I have been listening to CTV and they seemed to have many interviews with various players from the courtroom. I hope I can find a link to post. Some of it is nauseating.

Can someone educate me.....is CTV known for being "defense-friendly?" Do they tend to always think the defendant is innocent, or more often than not? I'm just not understanding how/why they think Santos, an UNreasonable witness, has provided such reasonable doubt. I know the defense doesn't have to prove anything, but couldn't they have delved into Santos' life to prove he indeed is the "big man" he says he is? Involved deep in the cartel?

If we are to believe every mentally ill person who provides "reasonable doubt" for a defendant, wouldn't our justice system need to adapt.....the defense has to have some burden of proof as well? I mean, what a dangerous precedent. If HS was acquitted, I highly doubt they would have gone after Santos for these murders! Everyone knows that!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back