GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

What is the sentence of first or second degree murder in this country? I'm guessing this will be second degree murder?

Justice Moore thanked jurors for their time.

“You’ve thought very hard and been very careful and returned a verdict ... this has been a particularly difficult trial and, for that reason, I am going to discharge you from sitting on a jury for the next seven years,” Justice Moore said.

A number of the jury members were crying.

Grace Millane trial: Jury convicts man of murdering British backpacker

It's been so stressful for the jury. Grace's family must be so relieved.

Grace's parents, Gillian and David Millane wept after the verdict was read out at the High Court at Auckland.

Justice Simon Moore thanked the jury for their efforts in such a difficult trial.

The public gallery was almost full as the verdict was read out, as it has been every day of the trial.

I don’t think they have degrees of murder in NZ but not sure. A NZ poster earlier said sentencing may not occur for month or more?

no degrees of murder. And yes sentencing may be a while. We should find out the date very soon. Not sure when suppression will be lifted? Possibly if he is facing another trial it may take some time? That’s the only reason I can think of why it might remain.

The media will be ready to go with all the deets about him as soon as they can go for it.

Grace's parents, Gillian and David Millane wept after the verdict was read out at the High Court at Auckland.

Justice Simon Moore thanked the jury for their efforts in such a difficult trial.

The public gallery was almost full as the verdict was read out, as it has been every day of the trial.

Will they have the chance to address the killer and read victim impact statements if they choose?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back