GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

His stepbrother on NZ news just said "He is a pathological liar, lies to the point where there is no out; then breaks down and cries and runs away. I think it was a power thing more than a violence thing. His tears [during the police interview]; to me they seem more tears for himself. I'm just so incredibly sorry for her families loss, I can't imagine the pain and hurt and what they have had to go through in court. All because he doesn't have any shred of a decent human being inside himself"

I've just typed that as I was listening to TV1 news so apologies for typos/items missed.
Thanks! wow, the jury got this right, they saw right through him too. The lies, the fake tears, but really no emotion for anyone but himself.

I think he was crying because he knew that was what a ‘normal’ person might do in that situation. Ie. It’s a learned response that he can turn on and off. Thus far he seems to not know how to act in social interactions.....and when his mask slips ppl get to see the real him JMO

I want to know more about why the name suppression isn’t being lifted? Even the British media aren’t naming him still and they didn’t care about the suppression law last year. So confused...

Hi everyone. I have been following cases on here for years with interest but rarely comment. However, there is something I noticed that I don't think anyone has mentioned. I studied criminal law in the UK and I don't know how similar NZ criminal law is but what I noticed is to do with previous convictions. In the UK, there is a lot of law around 'bad character' evidence as it is called. It is determined before a trial whether or not previous convictions can be admitted as evidence but once the trial commences, there are 7 ways they can be introduced. One of the ways is if the defendant or any of his/her representatives speaks negatively about the victim or any witnesses. In plain English, if they slag off anyone else, they become free game.
I noticed when the Defence began presenting their case, he started going to great lengths to make it clear Grace had done nothing wrong.
"I want to be 100 per cent clear there is no blame attributed to Grace, and there should be no shame."
Why not blame Grace? The defendant was fighting for his life and nobody else was in the room. He could have totally blamed her. This makes me strongly believe he has previous convictions. Incidentally, I noticed the same thing in the Vincent Tabak (Joanna Yeates) case when the Defence was very careful about not blaming Joanna for inviting VT in for a drink and it transpired that VT had pictures of women being strangled on his laptop.
Anyway, just my thoughts!

Hi everyone. I have been following cases on here for years with interest but rarely comment. However, there is something I noticed that I don't think anyone has mentioned. I studied criminal law in the UK and I don't know how similar NZ criminal law is but what I noticed is to do with previous convictions. In the UK, there is a lot of law around 'bad character' evidence as it is called. It is determined before a trial whether or not previous convictions can be admitted as evidence but once the trial commences, there are 7 ways they can be introduced. One of the ways is if the defendant or any of his/her representatives speaks negatively about the victim or any witnesses. In plain English, if they slag off anyone else, they become free game.
I noticed when the Defence began presenting their case, he started going to great lengths to make it clear Grace had done nothing wrong.
"I want to be 100 per cent clear there is no blame attributed to Grace, and there should be no shame."
Why not blame Grace? The defendant was fighting for his life and nobody else was in the room. He could have totally blamed her. This makes me strongly believe he has previous convictions. Incidentally, I noticed the same thing in the Vincent Tabak (Joanna Yeates) case when the Defence was very careful about not blaming Joanna for inviting VT in for a drink and it transpired that VT had pictures of women being strangled on his laptop.
Anyway, just my thoughts!
Good spot! Not sure if the law is the same here but there’s every chance.

When the detective spoke at the end of the family’s statement he says something to the effect ‘due to the ongoing court process I can’t comment on anything’. Normally they’d at least make some comment after verdict and prior to sentencing wouldn’t they? Makes me think there’s definitely a separate trial underway for this guy. Can anyone find any other court cases currently underway for ‘Crown v K’???

I want to know more about why the name suppression isn’t being lifted? Even the British media aren’t naming him still and they didn’t care about the suppression law last year. So confused...
I think @sunnynz was likely dead on the money that he must be facing other criminal case(s) with other victim(s). So the suppression is to protect the integrity of those pending cases maybe.

On the bright side of suppression, at least the Millanes can go home to the UK now and not see the killers smirking face on newspapers and TV! That's a plus

Journalist on twitter says “there are very good reasons for the name suppression, all will be revealed eventually” ... I wonder if it’s more that other women have come forward to report him and file charges, u know like that first girl said she seen his name being reported in the U.K. media and she decided to go to the police about her experience?

This link has the video interview with the killer’s step brother. It also mentions that the killer’s father was in court most days and that the case has divided the family.

‘I’m just so incredibly sorry’ - Step-brother of Grace Millane’s murder apologises to her family
Thanks sunnynz. Poor Grace, he was on a power trip and his aggression was escalating, imo. Even though he didn't set out to murder her, I think he was destined to, he's a horrible human being. :(

Detective Inspective Scott Beard, who was in charge of the Grace Millane murder investigation, said because the court process was ongoing he was unable to comment this evening.

Grace's killer faces life imprisonment for her murder, with at least 10 years non parole.

At sentencing the judge can extend this period so the killer could spend much longer in jail.

Grace Millane trial: Jury convicts man of murdering British backpacker

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back