DNA Doe Project - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredibly complete concise info. Thanks. Best part:
There are other threads popping up here and there, but I believe people make new threads because they are not aware of the three mentioned above, which makes the need for a DNA/genealogy sub-forum greater.

I think you are spot on about the other threads popping up. I almost made a new one before I found the other thread. I just found out about this one today from a kind poster.

Scattered around your house or apartment, lightly coating the surface of your coffee table and lurking in the nooks and crannies of each room, are millions of your skin and hair cells. There are so many, you likely don’t even notice them or feel any ownership over these lost biological bits of yourself. But what if someone came into your house and took them?

This slightly changes our question: If a scientist had your cells, would you care? Would you hand over this discarded part of yourself for the greater good? And are these cells even yours in the first place?
Do you actually own your DNA? It's complicated | Inverse

When law enforcement came, the officials began making note of the few facts that would come to encompass her entire identity. She was young, between 17 and 25. She had semen inside her. She had blond hair with strawberry highlights. There was $40 in the pockets of the clothes she wore, a pale-purple shirt and jeans, size 7-8, branded One Tuff Babe.

@Tricia “Sadly ironic, considering her fate,” a commenter remarked on the true-crime discussion forum Websleuths. That same commenter would later give her a nickname of “Lavender Doe”—chosen for the color of her shirt.

What It Means to Name a Forgotten Murder Victim

30-year-old mystery solved: ‘196 Jane’ ID’d through genealogy

PAW PAW, Mich. (WOOD) — Thirty years after a hunter stumbled across the skeletal remains of a woman off I-196 in Van Buren County, she finally has a name: Maria White Bateman.

Bateman, 28, was from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

[...]

‘IT COULD SOLVE THEM ALL’

Christensen said Bateman’s identification is just the beginning.

MSP’s Fifth District, which covers nine counties, is the primary agency on six other remains cases. The earliest remains of the six were found in 1979, the most recent in 2014. The Fifth District, which is piloting the genealogy testing process for Michigan State Police is working to submit samples from those six cases for testing, a process it hopes to complete in the next year.

“It’s unbelievable,” Christensen said. “It’s just a really powerful tool. When you look at the ages of these cases and the amount of work that’s gone into them, to have a tool where you can get a potential pointer to an identification, that’s huge.”

There are at least 24 cases of unidentified remains through West Michigan and more than 300 statewide.

Read more: 30-year-old mystery solved: ‘196 Jane’ ID’d through genealogy

Her thread: Identified! - MI - Covert Township, WhtFem 730UFMI, 23-40, Near I-96, Oct'88

I'm really excited that MSP’s Fifth District has decided to submit 6 more cold cases to DNA Doe Project. It's such an awesome thing when LE realizes the power of this tool and decides to apply it to as many cases as possible. I'm going to check NAMUS and the UID forum to see if I can figure out which Michigan cases they might be working on next.

These are the Counties covered by the MSP 5th District: MSP - District 5 - Southwest

Van Buren | Kalamazoo | Allegan | Barry | Berrien | Cass | Calhoun | Branch | St. Joseph

I found 12 cases in those 9 counties on NAMUS:

1979 Covert Twp John Doe:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
MI - MI - Van Buren Co, Wht/HispMale, 33-69, Broken Nose, Spanish Medallion, Timex, Covert Twp, July 1979

1987 Keeler Twp. John Doe (Age 15-22)*
MI - MI - Van Buren Co, HispMale, 15-22, Busch Gardens Tee, Keeler Twp, Dec 1987

1988 New Buffalo Jane Doe:
MI - MI - New Buffalo, Wht Fem 43-53 UP8228 foud in lake Michigan April 1988

1992 Berrien County Torso Jane Doe:
MI - MI - Berrien Co, Female Torso, 30-42, Brown Pants & Pantyhose, 11 Aug 1992

1992 New Buffalo Jane Doe:
MI - MI - New Buffalo Twp, WhtFem 129UFMI, 65-75, wrapped in sheet, Aug'92

1993 St. Joseph County Child John Doe (Age 7-12)*
MI - MI - St. Joseph Co., WhtMale UP9894, 7-12, partial skull buried, Nov'93

2000 Benton Township John Doe
MI - MI - Benton Twp, Wht/HispMale 586UMMI, 35-50, in shallow grave, Dec'00

2002 Berrien County John Doe
MI - MI - Berrien Co, Wht/HispMale, 20-40, Car Accident Victim, *GRAPHIC PIC* June 2002

2010 Covert Township John Doe
MI - MI- Van Buren Co, Asian Male, 25-40, Beach of Lake Michigan, Covert Twp, Oct 2010

2011 Comstock Jane Doe
MI - MI - Comstock, WhtFem Skeletal UP8820, 35-55, in woods near I-94, Apr'11

2014 Saugatuck John Doe (Maxilla w/teeth)**
MI - MI - Allegan Co, Male, 18-99, Maxilla w/teeth, Shore of Lake Michigan, Saugatuck, July 2014

2014 South Haven John Doe
MI - MI - Allegan, WhtMale, 35-60, Lake Michigan Beach, South Haven, Nov 2014

*These cases that are children and possibly teens DNA Doe Project is unlikely to take on as they have said in the past they will not work child cases.

**Saugatuck Doe is only partial Maxilla with teeth, may be difficult to get DNA

Last edited:
“Using DNA analysis and forensic genealogy is the next tool in our crime-solving arsenal. DNA Labs International’s Genealogy Team works closely to help find the person(s) of interest by building out a family tree utilizing two DNA databases,” explains Ross. “We are committed to helping victims of crime find justice and working collaboratively with law enforcement to help them uncover new leads that we know will help bring closure to countless cases, many of which have remained unsolved for years.”
DNA Labs International Employs a Team Approach to Solving Crime With Genealogy - The Ritz Herald

Thanks for the articles @imstilla.grandma but I don't see anything about the DNA Doe project in those links. Can we please try to keep this thread on the topic of discussing the DNA Doe Project and their cases? I stopped following the Parabon/GEDmatch General thread because it became a bunch of members arguing about the ethics of using genetic DNA and posts were no longer only about the Parabon Labs cases, but it became a general DNA article link thread. If WS wants to have a debate thread about the DNA ethics issue that is fine with me but I'm not interested in arguing or reading a bunch of opinion/blog posts on the topic. I want to follow the DDP cases that are being solved and see how many people getting their names back. I find their work inspiring, uplifting and I don't want the negativity to invade this thread too. Pretty please can we make sure we are discussing DNA Doe Project, their cases (or their potential cases) here? :)

MOO.

Last edited:
Thanks for the articles @imstilla.grandma but I don't see anything about the DNA Doe project in those links. Can we please try to keep this thread on the topic of discussing the DNA Doe Project and their cases? I stopped following the Parabon/GEDmatch General thread because it became a bunch of members arguing about the ethics of using genetic DNA and posts were no longer only about the Parabon Labs cases, but it became a general DNA article link thread. If WS wants to have a debate thread about the DNA ethics issue that is fine with me but I'm not interested in arguing or reading a bunch of opinion/blog posts on the topic. I want to follow the DDP cases that are being solved and see how many people getting their names back. I find their work inspiring, uplifting and I don't want the negativity to invade this thread too. Pretty please can we make sure we are discussing DNA Doe Project, their cases (or their potential cases) here? :)
I support this sentiment and believe that forum threads with very specific topics in the title should stay on topic at all times.

I support this sentiment and believe that forum threads with very specific topics in the title should stay on topic at all times.

Thank you. I hope it is taken in the spirit I mean it. I don't want to be rude and I don't want to tell others how to post. Ima's posts are usually very helpful and positive ones. I'm certainly not perfect and I may go off topic sometimes myself. I think it's cool if someone wants to try to understand DNA Doe Project's methods better and we can talk about that and try to help educate each other (I'm still learning about it too). I just don't want to see this thread overwhelmed with general DNA topic articles and heated debate on whether DDP should be doing what they are doing. I saw that happen in the other thread and it got ugly (many posts were removed). I had to put some members on ignore and finally I had to un-watch the thread because alerting wasn't getting the thread back on topic.

MOO.

MOO.
Me third, although I, as non-Native English speaker, worry if I worded myself poorly or not correct in post #220 and therefore am kinda responsible for this misunderstanding?

MOO.
Absolutely. I hope you already are aware of the respect I have for you. My errors in posting were due to haste, failure to take the time to understand difference in threads/topics and selfishness.
Please readers of this thread:
I beg forgiveness.

Absolutely. I hope you already are aware of the respect I have for you. My errors in posting were due to haste, failure to take the time to understand difference in threads/topics and selfishness.
Please readers of this thread:
I beg forgiveness.

Oh no. No begging is needed grandma and you really did nothing wrong. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings. You are trying to help by posting articles for us and that is not selfish. It's ALL OK. I just don't want to see this positive thread go away like the other one. Seeing the successes of DNA Doe Project make me smile and I'm so happy you are here trying to help us too. :)

Me third, although I, as non-Native English speaker, worry if I worded myself poorly or not correct in post #220 and therefore am kinda responsible for this misunderstanding?

No, your post was perfect English. I didn't add to it back then because I thought you put it perfectly what the different topics are for these different threads.

Some updates!
They posted a photograph of the now identified Marcia Bateman.
Rebel Ray, Barron County John Doe 2017 and Corona Girl are in bioinformatics.
Redondo Jane Doe is undergoing sequencing.
Summit County John Doe is undergoing extraction.

Some updates!
They posted a photograph of the now identified Marcia Bateman.
Rebel Ray, Barron County John Doe 2017 and Corona Girl are in bioinformatics.
Redondo Jane Doe is undergoing sequencing.
Summit County John Doe is undergoing extraction.
Yes! I am so excited about Rebel Ray and Corona Girl. Williamson County Sheriff's Office are so great and they've been so open to working with new technology, unlike a lot of PDs. Great work to the sequencing team and good luck to the bioinformatics team!

Also, I'm a little confused. Was the news outlet in Michigan incorrect with the former Doe's name? They said her name was Maria White Bateman but DDP said it is Marcia Kaylynn Bateman. Anyways, congratulations to Van Buren County LE and the DDP Team! Much love to them and everyone who worked this case. I will be sending my thoughts to Marcia's family during this difficult time. She was such a lovely young woman.

Also, I'm a little confused. Was the news outlet in Michigan incorrect with the former Doe's name? They said her name was Maria White Bateman but DDP said it is Marcia Kaylynn Bateman. Anyways, congratulations to Van Buren County LE and the DDP Team! Much love to them and everyone who worked this case. I will be sending my thoughts to Marcia's family during this difficult time. She was such a lovely young woman.
The difference between the names Marcia and Maria is a single letter so probably a typo on the part of the Michigan news station.
As for White, they possibly wanted to emphasize her skin color but misplaced it while writing the text.

Also, I'm a little confused. Was the news outlet in Michigan incorrect with the former Doe's name? They said her name was Maria White Bateman but DDP said it is Marcia Kaylynn Bateman.
The article that broke the news now starts with
**CORRECTION: Based on incorrect information provided by police, a previous version of this article listed the wrong name for the woman. The error has since been corrected.

Her name is indeed Marcia Kaylynn Bateman.

No, your post was perfect English. I didn't add to it back then because I thought you put it perfectly what the different topics are for these different threads.
Phew! Thank you :) I thought I had messed up big time!

@imstilla.grandma , we didn't mean to gang up on you like that, and for that I apologise, but we are also very protective of this thread, simply because it's such a positive and informative thread (made real by some of the most loveliest people on WS!) and we don't want the same kind of dumpster fire the Parabon/DNA/GEDmatch thread was for a while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member