Mark Sievers Trial General Discussion Thread

MM's fury and indignance is SO misplaced, especially his scrunchy-face rage about the lie detector stuff. I hope Mrs. Mummert talked some sense into him this weekend and told him to tone down the asshattery.
Mummert is highly calculated. His people (wife as well?) are all calculating how far he can go before he alienates the jury. He strikes me as a very exacting lawyer who is going the distance for his client. Can't fault him for that but he needs to be careful.

I'm with you - Dr. P was such an important witness and very credible. I keep thinking about those voicemails. Such a dumb move on MS's part to leave them, yet he thought he was smart to do so. The voicemail asking the doctor to check on her irritates me to no end - laughing and making jokes when he knew that most likely she was dead. He is a sick and evil person.

Forget Florida prison - I want all 3 of them thrown into an alligator infested fenced in swamp in the everglades.

I wonder if MS thought the Dr. would never say anything since MS had done the doctor's family a favor by watching their pets when on vacation. It seems as if the doctor didn't know he was being used for a bit of time after the murder.

I would just adjust one thing in your post- laughing and making jokes when he hoped beyond hope that she was dead. He must have freaked a little bit when the doctor did not tell him she was dead. MS never asking about what was happening to her (hospital) is the major giveaway that he was not surprised by the outcome.

Mummert is highly calculated. His people (wife as well?) are all calculating how far he can go before he alienates the jury. He strikes me as a very exacting lawyer who is going the distance for his client. Can't fault him for that but he needs to be careful.
KAEN, bbm above...hmmm, at this point I think he has already crossed the line ... Judge Kyle won't let his courtroom become a free-for-all-shouting-fest. I think things will change pretty quickly. Unless of course, MM's strategy is to get jurors to dislike him, instead of his client? In which case, he is doing an excellent job.;)
;)

I'm with you - Dr. P was such an important witness and very credible. I keep thinking about those voicemails. Such a dumb move on MS's part to leave them, yet he thought he was smart to do so. The voicemail asking the doctor to check on her irritates me to no end - laughing and making jokes when he knew that most likely she was dead. He is a sick and evil person.

Forget Florida prison - I want all 3 of them thrown into an alligator infested fenced in swamp in the everglades.
I'm still yet to listen to Dr P's witness testimony and the playing of the voicemail recordings, but I got the gist from your comment that MS' behaviour was just as cold as it's been the entire time. I noticed during the defence's opening statement that MS smirked and stifled a giggle when his defence attorney described the first blow to Teresa's head.

He laughs because it's literally funny to him. He's ecstatic. He's loving it. He can't hold back just how good he really feels about it. He's on a high. His level of narcissism almost outshines little Miss "I slit his throat, stabbed him 27 times and shot him in the head", doe eyes JA herself. At least JA had the ability to compose herself during her trial. I thought she was the worst narcissist I'd ever seen, but now MS takes the cake.

Prosecution: What was the discussion like between you and Mr S while you drive over to the S' home?
Dr P: (describes the voicemail and short conversation held with MS while driving) ... He had wanted me to just go into the house and go check on her and I didn't think that was appropriate and I was telling him that I would knock on the door first before I would go into the house.

Dr P: ...The first thing I did when I left the house was I called MS directly and asked him where the girls were. I did that before I called 911... he said that they were with him and I told him that he needed to come home now and that I would call him back.
Prosecution: Did you tell him why he needed to "come home now"?
Dr P: No I did not.

Prosecution: Did he ask you why he needed to "come home now"?
Dr P: No he did not.

Prosecution: Did you tell him what you had seen in the house?

Prosecution: Did you have another opportunity to talk to MS about what had happened to Dr Sievers in the house?
Dr P: Yes after I got off the phone with 911 I called MS to talk to him further about what had happened. The main premise behind that was to find out information because I knew that the police were going to be asking me: Where was she, where was she coming home from and whatever and so I was asking MS about her flight arrangement and things like that.
Prosecution: Did you tell him at that point that Dr Sievers was deceased?
Dr P: No, I did not
Prosecution: Why not?
Dr P: I didn't feel it was my duty or responsibilty. I told him that something terrible had happened and that she was hurt. I didn't say what I had found when I went in the house.
Prosecution: Is that something you would have done on the phone?
Dr P: No.

Prosecution: During that, or any conversation that day, did he ask how his wife was hurt?
Dr P: He didn't ask specifically but he asked, "Was it a robbery?" He didn't ask how she was hurt, where she was hurt, where she was going to or being taken to

Prosecution: On the weekend immediately prior to Monday the 29th, did you get any other phone calls or voice messages from MS?
Dr P: Yes - the night before I found her which would have been a Sunday night, I got a voicemail message from him saying that he was "checking in on me" for some reason, and wanted to know if I was okay and that Teresa was going to be coming home that night.

Prosecution: Was that something that MS frequently did? Did he frequently call to check on you and see how you were doing?
Dr P: No, we never really had much conversation about travel plans and things like that. We didn't have that kind of relationship.
Prosecution: So how would you describe the fact that he called and left you this message the night before, checking on you? How would you describe that?

Dr P: It was very odd, just - very strange that he did.

Voicemail messages:

First message:
Hey M, this is also M. I'm just calling to check on you - see how you are doing. I was texting with M and she said you already made it back safely. (inaudible) Anyway, you got the idea. I will talk to you later. Teresa comes back tonight, and then the girls and I will be back on Wednesday night. Just wanted to say hello and see how you're doing. Take care, M. Bye.
Second message:
Hey M, this is M. I called yesterday just to check on you - now I'm calling you today to see if you can check on Teresa. *giggles* I know it's early: 9.30 in the morning and you're probably at work and that's okay. Teresa's not at work yet and the office is calling and texting and we can't get through to Teresa so I just thought maybe if you were not at work, you could possibly swing by the house. And the garage code is 1-3-1-3, enter, and the door opens up. Anyway, if you get this message, great, otherwise I'll call my Mom and have her come over and check on Teresa. Maybe she's just sound asleep. It's just not like her (inaudible) to be a half an hour late for work. And not answer her phone. Actually, (inaudible) ...is normal for me, but not being late for work. I'm rambling. I'll talk to you. Thanks, M

Prosecution: During your discussions with MS, did he indicate to you, at all, how he knew Dr S was at home?
Dr P: Yes, so when I was driving to their house, we were talking on the phone and he had told me that he had traced the phone to the house, that he knew she was there. He went on to say that he didn't know why she wasn't answering, because the phone was dead. We engaged in conversation about that because I said "How can you find a phone when the phone is dead?" He said he knew that she was in the house and he wanted me to just go in.

(Regarding suspects and CWW being named as a suspect. Dr P was aware through conversation about CWW's link to the S family, and is describing the conversation he had with MS about CWW being named as a suspect)
Prosecution: Firstly, what was the tone of that conversation?
Dr P: Well, I guess I was angry that his friend was arrested for it. I called him and asked him about it and the response was that, "Oh, he didn't do it. They have no evidence on him. They're picking away at my friends, trying to get to me." Which I still cannot figure out why he wouldn't be mad if somebody was arrested for killing your wife.
Prosecution: Were you surprised at his response?
Dr P: Yes I was, very much so.

Source:

Prosecution: What was the discussion like between you and Mr S while you drive over to the S' home?
Dr P: (describes the voicemail and short conversation held with MS while driving) ... He had wanted me to just go into the house and go check on her and I didn't think that was appropriate and I was telling him that I would knock on the door first before I would go into the house.

Dr P: ...The first thing I did when I left the house was I called MS directly and asked him where the girls were. I did that before I called 911... he said that they were with him and I told him that he needed to come home now and that I would call him back.
Prosecution: Did you tell him why he needed to "come home now"?

Prosecution: Did he ask you why he needed to "come home now"?
Dr P: No he did not.

Prosecution: Did you tell him what you had seen in the house?

Prosecution: Did you have another opportunity to talk to MS about what had happened to Dr Sievers in the house?
Dr P: Yes after I got off the phone with 911 I called MS to talk to him further about what had happened. The main premise behind that was to find out information because I knew that the police were going to be asking me: Where was she, where was she coming home from and whatever and so I was asking MS about her flight arrangement and things like that.
Prosecution: Did you tell him at that point that Dr Sievers was deceased?
Dr P: No, I did not
Prosecution: Why not?
Dr P: I didn't feel it was my duty or responsibilty. I told him that something terrible had happened and that she was hurt. I didn't say what I had found when I went in the house.
Prosecution: Is that something you would have done on the phone?
Dr P: No.

Prosecution: During that, or any conversation that day, did he ask how his wife was hurt?
Dr P: He didn't ask specifically but he asked, "Was it a robbery?" He didn't ask how she was hurt, where she was hurt, where she was going to or being taken to

Prosecution: On the weekend immediately prior to Monday the 29th, did you get any other phone calls or voice messages from MS?
Dr P: Yes - the night before I found her which would have been a Sunday night, I got a voicemail message from him saying that he was "checking in on me" for some reason, and wanted to know if I was okay and that Teresa was going to be coming home that night.

Prosecution: Was that something that MS frequently did? Did he frequently call to check on you and see how you were doing?
Dr P: No, we never really had much conversation about travel plans and things like that. We didn't have that kind of relationship.
Prosecution: So how would you describe the fact that he called and left you this message the night before, checking on you? How would you describe that?

Dr P: It was very odd, just - very strange that he did.

Voicemail messages:

First message:
Hey M, this is also M. I'm just calling to check on you - see how you are doing. I was texting with M and she said you already made it back safely. (inaudible) Anyway, you got the idea. I will talk to you later. Teresa comes back tonight, and then the girls and I will be back on Wednesday night. Just wanted to say hello and see how you're doing. Take care, M. Bye.
Second message:
Hey M, this is M. I called yesterday just to check on you - now I'm calling you today to see if you can check on Teresa. *giggles* I know it's early: 9.30 in the morning and you're probably at work and that's okay. Teresa's not at work yet and the office is calling and texting and we can't get through to Teresa so I just thought maybe if you were not at work, you could possibly swing by the house. And the garage code is 1-3-1-3, enter, and the door opens up. Anyway, if you get this message, great, otherwise I'll call my Mom and have her come over and check on Teresa. Maybe she's just sound asleep. It's just not like her (inaudible) to be a half an hour late for work. And not answer her phone. Actually, (inaudible) ...is normal for me, but not being late for work. I'm rambling. I'll talk to you. Thanks, M

Prosecution: During your discussions with MS, did he indicate to you, at all, how he knew Dr S was at home?
Dr P: Yes, so when I was driving to their house, we were talking on the phone and he had told me that he had traced the phone to the house, that he knew she was there. He went on to say that he didn't know why she wasn't answering, because the phone was dead. We engaged in conversation about that because I said "How can you find a phone when the phone is dead?" He said he knew that she was in the house and he wanted me to just go in.

(Regarding suspects and CWW being named as a suspect. Dr P was aware through conversation about CWW's link to the S family, and is describing the conversation he had with MS about CWW being named as a suspect)
Prosecution: Firstly, what was the tone of that conversation?
Dr P: Well, I guess I was angry that his friend was arrested for it. I called him and asked him about it and the response was that, "Oh, he didn't do it. They have no evidence on him. They're picking away at my friends, trying to get to me." Which I still cannot figure out why he wouldn't be mad if somebody was arrested for killing your wife.
Prosecution: Were you surprised at his response?
Dr P: Yes I was, very much so.

Source:
Thank you, thank you so much for your detailed post!! I watched it again. I think Dr. P's testimony has been a huge impact so far.

I saw on the second day CWW's hand kept going up to his shoulder as though it hurt. I hate what he supposedly said, due to his bad shoulder, that he wasn't able to hit hard enough. He knew Teresa human to human, and yet had no qualms to take on that job they were hired to do..

And it doesn't really even make sense. He said he is right-handed and it was his left shoulder.

@TrueCrimeAddict55

You're so very welcome, my friend. And I very much agree - he is a key witness to the case and was able to give some incredible details from his close, personal perspective. He found the body. He knew MS since he'd married Teresa. They'd known each other for years but had never grown close. I think he was in the perfect position to shed light on MS. So unfortunate that he was the one to have been chosen by MS to find Teresa's body (the office receptionist at Teresa's medical practice had offered, but MS refused). Due to their unchanging status as acquaintances rather than actual friends, this highlighted how strange MS' voicemail on Sunday night truly was. And considering the couples didn't necessarily treat each other like family, it also highlighted how strange it was that MS would ask Dr P to just walk straight into the family home.

Considering he's only "a doctor, not a lawyer" (I giggled a little when he said that), he did incredibly well to remember so many details and to eventually realise their importance. It makes his statements so unbelievably important. His testimony is quite damning when paired up with the burner phones, the cell tower pings and text messages that help to certify that the phones belonged to MS and CWW, the delayed plane flights, the staging of the homicide as a burglary 'gone wrong', etc. It casts an incredible amount of doubt over MS' innocence (but I think he did a good enough job of that himself when the courtroom cameraman caught him smirking and giggling when listening to his defence lawyer describe how Teresa was killed).

I would like to say that it seems inevitable that he'll be found guilty...

But I'm also scared that he may end up walking free like OJ and CA.

Especially moreso considering OJ and CA were being tried for murder, all the evidence was there and their incompetent juries let them off. They're trying to pin MS for conspiracy to murder. Maybe it's just because they had manipulative, greasy defence reps who put on a effective show. MS just seems to have a thing for bald guys with beer guts and glasses - his attorney is nothing special and doesn't particularly have a way with words. I have every hope that justice will prevail, but nothing is certain.

Thank you, thank you so much for your detailed post!! I watched it again. I think Dr. P's testimony has been a huge impact so far.
If I was on the jury, the State has me 100% with this Dr P’s careful discript of not only what he thought but what he felt.
MS does not know how to “feel” IMO.
MS picked the wrong person to “go check” on his murdered wife.
He actually would of had more of a backing testimony if his mother had found her.I have no doubt he would of thrown his own mother under this bus if Dr P had not complied.

MOO

I thought she asked him last week and he said he was right-handed?
I don’t recall him specifically being asked that, but if he said that, he lied. I know for a fact he is left handed. What I do remember is he stated he had the hammer in his right hand when he was following Teresa into the house. I didn’t believe him then. Who carries the weapon in their non-dominant hand? Ridiculous. I think Wayne has lied A LOT.

Side note as I tune in this morning- why on earth does MM wear suits that are "Shhmediums"? When he buttons his jacket, it appears that he can't even take a deep breath.

I also noticed that. Would think that’s uncomfortable considering the ups & downs in the courtroom. The many button ups for the ole sidebar, gotta look your best.
Just like ‘lawyer’ Mark thinks he looks leaving the courtroom with his legal pad under his arm. He’s not fooling us with all that BS writing, flipping thru legal pad pages, etc. Poser Mark, trying to blend in with the attorneys sitting there AND approaching the bench with them. Question: I didn’t know defendants could approach the bench like that. When did that start?

I also noticed that. Would think that’s uncomfortable considering the ups & downs in the courtroom. The many button ups for the ole sidebar, gotta look your best.
Just like ‘lawyer’ Mark thinks he looks leaving the courtroom with his legal pad under his arm. He’s not fooling us with all that BS writing, flipping thru legal pad pages, etc. Poser Mark, trying to blend in with the attorneys sitting there AND approaching the bench with them. Question: I didn’t know defendants could approach the bench like that. When did that start?

I assume it's at the discretion of the judge since it also happened in JRR's trial. In Florida the judge can also allow jurors to ask questions, but this judge seems to not allow that.

I don’t recall him specifically being asked that, but if he said that, he lied. I know for a fact he is left handed. What I do remember is he stated he had the hammer in his right hand when he was following Teresa into the house. I didn’t believe him then. Who carries the weapon in their non-dominant hand? Ridiculous. I think Wayne has lied A LOT.

Small detail, but quite a few lefties, especially of his vintage, are pretty ambidextrous, and it isn't surprising to me that he may write with his left and wield a hammer (nails, not people) with his right. Both myself and one of my children are VERY left-handed, but both of us will throw and catch a ball, swing a racket, brush our teeth, sway a fly and hammer a nail with our right hands as easily as our left (ostensibly dominant) hand, and we'll do it generally without thinking about or changing it.

May or may not be true for CWW, and he clearly lies all the time, but he may not be lying about this detail specifically, IMO.

How old are the Sievers kids now? Who do they live with and in which state? I hope they are being shielded from this as much as possible.

YES, thankfully the kids are away from all in Florida but they’ve had some concern as a couple of times the Rodgers’ trial news hit close locally up around there. I forget their ages but they live with Teresa’s mom in NY state or Connecticut. Her sister Anna Lisa does live in Connecticut.

YES, thankfully the kids are away from all in Florida but they’ve had some concern as a couple of times the Rodgers’ trial news hit close locally up around there. I forget their ages but they live with Teresa’s mom in NY state or Connecticut. Her sister Anna Lisa does live in Connecticut.

Good. I'm glad they are not in FL.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back