CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucas trial in Pueblo delayed again

The trial of Donthe Lucas for first-degree murder in the disappearance of Kelsie Schelling of Denver has been postponed to next year after the judge in the case granted a motion filed by the defense to push back the date.

Lucas’ trial now is scheduled to begin on Jan. 14. It had previously been scheduled to begin July 30. Before that the trial was scheduled for April 2.

Guillermo Garibay, one of Lucas’ defense attorneys, filed a motion to move the trial to June 3.

In the motion, Garibay stated more time is needed to prepare for trial due to the large number of prosecution witnesses that had been endorsed as of Jan. 7 and the additional number of witnesses that have been endorsed afterward. He also cited the demanding workload preparing for trial given the “overwhelming” amount of discovery that needs to be reviewed and studied, and the difficulty in locating and interviewing many witnesses who frequently move without providing forwarding addresses.

“Requiring the defense to proceed to trial on July 30... guarantees because counsel does not have sufficient time to adequately prepare to give Mr. Lucas the fair trial, effective assistance of counsel, the complete defense, and the fair trial to which he is entitled to,” Garibay wrote.

Prosecutors objected to the delay and urged the judge to deny the defense’s motion to continue the jury trial.

Donthe Lucas trial will stay in Pueblo

PUEBLO – A judge has denied a motion from attorneys for Donthe Lucas to change the location of his murder trial in the death of Kelsie Schelling in 2013.

Other motions brought up in Friday’s hearing questioned some of the prosecution’s witnesses, and brought up introducing lie detectors tests and showing Kelsie’s medical record.

“It is a really exhausting process,” said Laura Saxton, Kelsie’s mother. “I think every time we do it it is like you’re thankful for something to be going on not just being in limbo, but it is you know a very tiring process but it is nice to have some progress made.

Lucas is due back in court on July 30th ad his trial is set for January 2020.

Now that we have "justice" for Kelsey Berreth, hoping we get justice for this Kelsie as well.

There was a hearing today, but once again they are keeping this case and evidence very hush hush.

Public held out of court for latest Donthe Lucas hearing - KRDO

Pre-trial motions hearings for Donthe Lucas' case continued Monday, but almost nobody was allowed to be present for it.

For this hearing, everyone except for the defense, prosecutors and the judge were kept out of the courtroom when the hearing began at 1:15 pm.

The judge said the information discussed during today’s hearing could potentially taint a jury. This isn't the first time the judge has kept members of the press and public out of a motions hearing pertaining to Donthe Lucas' case.

Lucas' trial is scheduled to begin in January of 2020. Lucas has been charged with first-degree murder in connection to the disappearance of his pregnant girlfriend, 21-year-old Kelsie Schelling.

Donthe Lucas back in court on Monday

Nov 18, 2019

PUEBLO — Donthe Lucas, the man who is accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend, will be in court on Monday.

Lucas has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges.

The trial was originally set for late July, but Lucas' lawyers say the have new scientific evidence and more time is needed.

[...]

The murder trial for Lucas is set for January 2020 and last approximately one month.

Defense attorney for Donthe Lucas tries to step off Kelsie Schelling case

PUEBLO, Colo. (KKTV) - UPDATE 11/22/19:
The defense attorney for a man accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend in Colorado back in 2013 is trying to step away from the case. The announcement came in court during a hearing on Friday. The attorney is one of two representing Lucas and asked the judge to be dismissed from the case, as of 3:30 p.m. on Friday the judge had not granted the request.

Donthe Lucas is charged with the 2013 disappearance of his then-girlfriend Kelsie Schelling. The court decided to add another hearing this week because the judge needs more time to decide what can or can't be used in the upcoming trial. Now that one attorney for Lucas put in a request to step away, another motions hearing was scheduled for Monday. It isn't clear if this will change the scheduled trial date, again.

The defense attorney for a man accused of killing his pregnant girlfriend in Colorado back in 2013 is trying to step away from the case. The announcement came in court during a hearing on Friday. The attorney is one of two representing Lucas and asked the judge to be dismissed from the case, as of 3:30 p.m. on Friday the judge had not granted the request.

Donthe Lucas is charged with the 2013 disappearance of his then-girlfriend Kelsie Schelling. The court decided to add another hearing this week because the judge needs more time to decide what can or can't be used in the upcoming trial. Now that one attorney for Lucas put in a request to step away, another motions hearing was scheduled for Monday. It isn't clear if this will change the scheduled trial date, again.
:mad::mad::mad: I just saw this when seeking kktv.com to KB trial videos. How awful for KS family.

(Marking spot)

(Thanks for the update. Not in the mood to get my blood pressure up atm.)

Thanks for the article. I hadn't seen hair belonging to his mother was found in Kelsey's vehicle.

Originally, the trial was scheduled for April of 2019, but new evidence was found in the case over the summer. Schelling's attorneys said investigators found a 6-inch hair in the back of Schelling's trunk. After DNA testing, investigators found the hair to be the same as Sara Lucas, Donthe's mother.

Thanks for the article. I hadn't seen hair belonging to his mother was found in Kelsey's vehicle.

I agree with the prosecutor that SL hair in the trunk of KS vehicle was of no surprise and sorry that defense was able to garner yet one more trial delay for an expert to examine the hair evidence.

KS family has lived through 3 trial delays and with defense attorney seeking to withdraw from case I'm not counting on the five-week jury trial beginning Jan. 14, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.

I hate this.

Donthe Lucas trial for murder of Kelsie Schelling pushed back a 3rd time

During a court appearance on Wednesday, the family of Kelsie Schelling learned the murder trial for Donthe Lucas would be pushed back a third time.

One of the defense lawyers for Lucas withdrew from the trial. The current team of three lawyers for Lucas did not feel prepared for a trial that was already rescheduled in January. The new trial date is slated for May 5 and is expected to last about five weeks.

I hate this.

During a court appearance on Wednesday, the family of Kelsie Schelling learned the murder trial for Donthe Lucas would be pushed back a third time.

One of the defense lawyers for Lucas withdrew from the trial. The current team of three lawyers for Lucas did not feel prepared for a trial that was already rescheduled in January. The new trial date is slated for May 5 and is expected to last about five weeks.

Donthe Lucas and Mark Redwine both. Nobody’s forgotten about Kelsie and Dylan and we will still be here with bells on to see them rot whenever the time comes. Doesn’t matter if it’s tomorrow or two years.

Last edited:
Donthe Lucas and Mark Redwine both. Nobody’s forgotten about Kelsie and Dylan and we will still be here with bells on to see them rot whenever the time comes. Doesn’t matter if it’s tomorrow or two years.

These Creeps are slowly being cornered, and once we have guilty verdicts, their pathetic lives are on a downhill path, in Prison with fellow inmates.
MOO.

Carl Winder KOAA‏ @CWinderKOAA
DONTHE LUCAS CASE MOVED TO MAY 5TH: Lucas is accused of killing Kelsie Schelling back in Feb. 2013. The case got moved because the court felt the lawyers for Lucas aren’t prepared to defend Lucas in January. A new lawyer for Lucas was brought on last month. @KOAA

EK-mYECWkAAS3xU.jpg

3:02 PM - 4 Dec 2019
Its quite unfortunate and frankly unfair that the system can continue to be manipulated in this way.

Too bad the Judge from the Berreth trial can't be put on loan to Pueblo to sort this entire mess out as it appears to be in shambles.

I don't understand if the Defense atty's are private or Court appointed? Regardless of who is funding the Defense, it seems that more than enough time has passed to mount a defense.

MOO

Its quite unfortunate and frankly unfair that the system can continue to be manipulated in this way.

Too bad the Judge from the Berreth trial can't be put on loan to Pueblo to sort this entire mess out as it appears to be in shambles.

I don't understand if the Defense atty's are private or Court appointed? Regardless of who is funding the Defense, it seems that more than enough time has passed to mount a defense.

MOO
One of DL's public defender's asked Judge to remove him off this case at last hearing (11/22/19)!

It appears his request granted and now another excuse to push the trial off from Jan 14 to May 5, 2020. :mad:

The trial was scheduled to start in April 2019, but new evidence found in the case over the summer postponed it until January 2020. Police said because the investigation remains active, they cannot provide details on what led to the arrest. Police told Dateline they have not found Kelsie’s remains.

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

The trial was scheduled to start in April 2019, but new evidence found in the case over the summer postponed it until January 2020. Police said because the investigation remains active, they cannot provide details on what led to the arrest. Police told Dateline they have not found Kelsie’s remains.

Six years of Dateline's Missing in America: 134 still missing

Hopefully his mother will get arrested for her hair being in Kelsie's car

I agree with the prosecutor that SL hair in the trunk of KS vehicle was of no surprise and sorry that defense was able to garner yet one more trial delay for an expert to examine the hair evidence.

KS family has lived through 3 trial delays and with defense attorney seeking to withdraw from case I'm not counting on the five-week jury trial beginning Jan. 14, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.

Hopefully his mother will get arrested for her hair being in Kelsie's car

I'm not sure if the interpretation is correct on the hair anyway. The direct quote from the article said
"Schelling's attorneys said investigators found a 6-inch hair in the back of Schelling's trunk. After DNA testing, investigators found the hair to be the same as Sara Lucas, Donthe's mother."

Could it be assumed the hair did not have a root follicle, so they had to do mitochondrial DNA. Therefore, the hair would be the same as his mother's?

Yet I agree with others, why does it matter because that his hair in her trunk might be expected and I don't see what the significance is other than a reason to delay the trial for no reason. Again, assuming that the mitochondrial DNA testing was the only thing available for that hair.

ETA reconsideration because it was a 6in hair and his hair was shorter at the time? I guess we'll have to wait to see if it was full DNA profile vs. Mitochondrial.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone caught this, but Donthe was seen getting getting into his mother's car. Maybe the person in the stills from Wal-Mart are not of a man, but a woman?
SBM
For example, she explained that the video showed Lucas climbing out of her daughter’s car and walking to the back of the car and climbing into his mother’s vehicle.

Denver woman disappears after sending ultrasound to boyfriend

I have been away from this thread for so long, I did not get the significance of the hair. This morning I took the time to start of the very very beginning of this thread and going through it entirely. Now I understand the significance of the hair. And why a post from June 4th, 2014 above-mentioned the mother.

"In an interview with The Denver Post, Saxton revealed many details that have never been discussed publicly.

For example, she explained that the video showed Lucas climbing out of her daughter’s car and walking to the back of the car and climbing into his mother’s vehicle.

The car remained overnight. At 7:20 a.m. the next morning a man wearing sunglasses, gloves and a hoodie came out from behind the Walmart, walked directly to Kelsie’s car, opened the door, climbed in and immediately drove away."

Thank goodness for this site where I can go back from a start and pick up on stuff that I totally had missed because I have not been following it and got sidetracked.

Denver woman disappears after sending ultrasound to boyfriend

ETA finding @spamelope post, who kept This Thread updated so much thank you! You are a very good soul

RSBM
Ties to East St Louis area. In the Post article, it was said "mother's car." I have it on good authority it's not hers, it is his.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member