VA VA - Ralph Leon Jackson, Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter, 4 May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my view based on years of research that the use of investigative genetic genealogy has been used to incorrectly accuse innocent people of heinous crimes they did commit through scientifically flawed procedures. As I have said here it my belief the Golden State Killer AKA EAR/ONS was actually a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. Here is another report about investigative genetic genealogy:

Western New York leaders eager to use genealogy testing to solve violent crime

It is my view that ParaBon Labs and their chief genetic genealogist scientist CeCe Moore have actually incorrectly identified many innocent people as the offenders in the cases they have worked because the investigative genetic genealogy they have used is scientifically flawed. This is of course very serious in cases were LE is determined to seek the death penalty:

The suspected serial killer, Robert Hayes, was arrested in September, more than a decade after his alleged crimes. He was charged in September for the 2006 slaying of 35-year-old Rachael Bey in Palm Beach County. He pleaded not guilty.

State pursuing death penalty against suspected serial killer indicted on 3 more murder charges

Here is a some information about genetic genealogy from the World Science Festival website:

picscece_moore.jpg

Genetic Genealogist
CeCe Moore is a professional genetic genealogist who is considered an innovator in the use of DNA for genealogical purposes. Currently, she is working as the genetic genealogy consultant and scriptwriter for PBS’ Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and recently completed work for Genealogy Roadshow. She is the author of the personal genomics blog Your Genetic Genealogist, which boasts tens of thousands of readers from 180 countries and Adoption and DNA where she writes about adoptees who have discovered their genetic heritage through DNA testing. Moore is frequently consulted by the press, recently appearing on 20/20, CBS This Morning and The Doctors and quoted internationally including in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, People Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, ABC News, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Wired Magazine, The Root, Fox Health, BioArray News and many others.

It’s All Relatives: The Science of Your Family Tree | World Science Festival
CeCe Moore | World Science Festival

As I said I believe the conviction of Mr Talbott in Washington State was a wrongful one based on flawed science and the FBI were or are aware there was no legitimate DNA in this case and other cases. Therefore in my view it has set a dangerous precedent with the continued use of investigative genetic genealogy without the full facts being made aware to the US Public and accused peoples Public Defenders:

Trial For Truck Driver Identified By Genetic Genealogy Could Set Precedent In New Method To Fight Crime

Here is part of the above report:

He was linked to a decades-old cold case with genetic genealogy research. Even though his arrest came slightly after the arrest of the Golden State Killer suspect Joseph DeAngelo, he is expected to be the first suspect linked to a murder through genetic technology to make it to trial.

Talbott has pleaded not guilty to killing British Columbia residents and high school sweethearts Jay Cook, 20, and Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, who were killed while vacationing in Washington State in 1987. Cuylenborg was found in a ditch bound by her hands with plastic ties. She had been violently raped and shot in the head. Cook was found two days later, 60 miles away, strangled and beaten to death.

Genetic genealogist CeCe Moore, who is now the chief genetic genealogist at Parabon, worked with law enforcement to upload DNA from the crime scene to GEDmatch. Moore was able to identify relatives connected to that DNA on GEDmatch and developed two family trees, which eventually pointed to Talbott as the lead suspect. He lived near the murder scene back when Cook and Culenborg were killed, according to the Washington Post.

In my opinion Joseph DeAngelo is not the Golden State Killer and there has been a misidentification in the case and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. As I state here I believe he is an innocent man wrongly accused through the incompetence and lack of ethics of Paul Holes. Here in this Podcast he mocks the health deterioration of Mr DeAngelo he has caused and hopes for his death. This is simply not good enough me in my opinion:

LIVE from My Favorite Weekend in Santa Barbara from Jensen and Holes: The Murder Squad

Also Billy Jenson should know better that in my view Joseph DeAngelo is a terrible suspect outside of what I view to be flawed and erroneous investigative genetic genealogy science.

Here is recent Podcast about investigative genetic genealogy:

Here is another blog about investigative genetic genealogy:

Orlando police Det. Michael Fields was sure he had the break he needed right in front of him to close in on a serial rapist: a list of people whose DNA partially matched the man he hunted. The list disappeared. After a year of criticism from privacy advocates and genealogy experts, the owner of a popular DNA-sharing website had decided law enforcement had no right to consumer data unless those consumers agreed. He persuaded a judge to grant him access to the entire database, the genetic records of more than 1 million people who never agreed to police search

Few Rules or Oversight in Police Use of DNA Databases | The Crime Report

I want to see cold cases solved for victims and victims relatives. Here are details about Cold Cases in Washington State. I need to say again it is my opinion there has been a number of misidentification of innocent men as suspects in serious crime cases through the use of investigative genetic genealogy. One of this cases was the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State and the FBI are aware there is no legitimate hit in this case:

King County Detectives using creative ways to get tips on teen girl’s cold case murder

DNA from cigarette butts leads King County detectives to suspect in nearly 30-year-old cold case

Here is a recent report about developments in a case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a possible suspect:

The Sun Journal reports that James Howaniec wrote in a defense motion that the crime scene was “badly botched,” the investigation was flawed, and that the only physical evidence consists of “few spermatozoa molecules.”

Steven Downs, of Auburn, Maine, is charged with first-degree murder and felony sexual assault in the 1993 death of 20-year-old Sophie Sergie. Downs was a freshman living in the same dorm where her body was found.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ks-to-have-cold-case-charges-tossed-in-alaska

Here is a recent report about developments in a case where investigative genetic genealogy was used to identify a possible suspect:

The Sun Journal reports that James Howaniec wrote in a defense motion that the crime scene was “badly botched,” the investigation was flawed, and that the only physical evidence consists of “few spermatozoa molecules.”

Steven Downs, of Auburn, Maine, is charged with first-degree murder and felony sexual assault in the 1993 death of 20-year-old Sophie Sergie. Downs was a freshman living in the same dorm where her body was found.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ks-to-have-cold-case-charges-tossed-in-alaska

I am of course for sorry for the victims and their loved ones in these cases and want to see justice for them. I also want killers taken off the streets and hope never to be in the same position. However as I have said on this thread I believe there have been a number of serious mistakes and the misidentifications of innocent men in the cases involving investigative genetic genealogy which I believe is a flawed science. I have stated in the case that stated them all I believe there was misidentification of an innocent man and the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson. This has relevance to all the cases that have used investigative genetic genealogy subsequent to it including this Alaskan case. So I again address Public Defenders when I say question the scientific validity of supposed DNA hits even ones that are presented as a zillion to one irrefutable fact:

Decades went by without progress in her mysterious murder -- until April 2018, when the cold case unit learned of the genetic genealogy technology used to identify the suspected "Golden State Killer" in California, authorities said.

(MORE: DNA leads to man's arrest for 1993 murder in Minneapolis)
The novel investigative technique of genetic genealogy takes an unknown killer's DNA from a crime scene and identifies the suspect through his or her family members, who voluntarily submit their DNA to genealogy databases. Since April 2018, genetic genealogy has helped identify more than three dozen suspects, said CeCe Moore, chief genetic genealogist with Parabon NanoLabs.

Man arrested in woman's 1993 murder after police inspired by 'Golden State Killer'

Here is another recent report about the use of investigative genealogy by LE to identify potential suspects in serious crime cases:

‘The potential is great:’ Public DNA databases are solving violent crimes (and raising privacy concerns)

I say again that in my view a number of innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit through the use of scientifically flawed investigative genetic genealogy by LE. This includes the Golden State Killer case where it is my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State which was a wrongful conviction because his legal defence were not made aware of the fact there was no legitimate DNA hit. These to me are important points that need to be factored in when LE and the genealogists they employ promote the argument for the continued use and expansion of investigative genetic genealogy to try and identify further potential suspects in serious crime cases. Today is Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to everyone but today in my opinion innocent US Citizens remain accused of crimes they did not commit through the use of scientifically flawed genetic genealogy and of course this has serious consequences for them and their families.

I say again that in my view a number of innocent people have been wrongly accused of crimes they did not commit through the use of scientifically flawed investigative genetic genealogy by LE. This includes the Golden State Killer case where it is my opinion the actual offender was a man called Ralph Leon Jackson and in the case of Mr Talbott in Washington State which was a wrongful conviction because his legal defence were not made aware of the fact there was no legitimate DNA hit. These to me are important points that need to be factored in when LE and the genealogists they employ promote the argument for the continued use and expansion of investigative genetic genealogy to try and identify further potential suspects in serious crime cases. Today is Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to everyone but today in my opinion innocent US Citizens remain accused of crimes they did not commit through the use of scientifically flawed genetic genealogy and of course this has serious consequences for them and their families.

Of course LE in Florida recently obtained a court order to access all the DNA profiles at the website GEDMATCH. I again address concerned groups and ask them to look at the situation in the context of what I have said about the fact that in my view LE have actually in a number of cases been accusing the wrong person of the crimes after their use of investigative genetic genealogy:

In Late October 2019, Detective Michael Fields of the Orlando, Florida Police Department obtained the apparently first-ever warrant to be able to search a commercial database containing sequenced DNA and genealogical genetic ancestry information in an effort to track and identify a serial rapist who assaulted a number of women decades ago. After Judge Patricia Strowbridge granted the detective his warrant, which allowed him to override the privacy settings of 1.2 million users on GEDmatch and search through all their information

Developing Story: Forensic Genomics, Surveillance, and Ethics – Science & Justice Research Center

Here is another report about the developments in this Alaskan case:

The defence also contends another man allegedly confessed to his sister that he killed Sergie. The other man, who was later arrested in connection with a different homicide, has a history of violence against women, according to the court documents.

Defence attorneys characterized Downs as having been “a healthy, good looking, popular, happy, intelligent, dean’s list student from a solid family in Maine.”

Defence seeks to have cold case charges tossed in Alaska | The Star

There is an interesting section on investigative genetic genealogy in the above report including on the Angie Dodge case:

“In the process of searching for the correct puzzle pieces, many pieces that don’t belong are also collected. These pieces belong to other puzzles that may be associated with the crime, may provide assistance in finding correct pieces, or may even belong to puzzles that are completely irrelevant.”

The Angie Dodge case is perhaps the best-known example of a cold case that was recently solved due to advances in the field of DNA forensics. But what, exactly, is a “cold” case?

The ISHI Report November 2019 - Advancements in Technology Are Warming Up Cold Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member