IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

I think they were familiar with the shopping center. I live 10 minutes from it. I moved here after it happened. It’s very easy to get lost in that parking lot if you don’t know where you’re going.

I also think the guy we have the sketch of is dead. I think his accomplices got rid of him once they saw his sketch all over the news. I also think it’s possible the sketch guy isn’t from this area since no one has turned him in yet. I don’t recall this case receiving much national attention, and I watched all the crime shows back then.

I think both vehicles were involved in this. One person stayed in the car and was the getaway driver and the other went in the store around 10:40. Maybe he went in to tell the other guy there was a cop in the plaza and they needed to bail. There was probably uncertainty what to do with the hostages and they were probably discussing when RM heard them say something that made her call 911. I don't believe she would have called if she thought they were going to just leave. She knew they were probably going to kill them and she felt they were going to die either way so the best chance was calling the police. I am also certain there was another voice on the 911 call that is not the victims or the person in the sketch.

I think both vehicles were involved in this. One person stayed in the car and was the getaway driver and the other went in the store around 10:40. Maybe he went in to tell the other guy there was a cop in the plaza and they needed to bail. There was probably uncertainty what to do with the hostages and they were probably discussing when RM heard them say something that made her call 911. I don't believe she would have called if she thought they were going to just leave. She knew they were probably going to kill them and she felt they were going to die either way so the best chance was calling the police. I am also certain there was another voice on the 911 call that is not the victims or the person in the sketch.
Me too. SUV shows up right at the 30 minute mark of sketch guy entering. That could have been the trigger too. Either that are target cop.

I have to think he is not very smart leaving a cup behind with DNA on it. Of course he didn't expect anyone to survive to point it out but I would think that these people who probably planned this out didn't pay attention to minor details that could end up biting them in the rear one day.

I have to think he is not very smart leaving a cup behind with DNA on it. Of course he didn't expect anyone to survive to point it out but I would think that these people who probably planned this out didn't pay attention to minor details that could end up biting them in the rear one day.
They’re not smart and incredibly lucky. It amazes me to this day that they were able to commit such a brazen crime in that location and stay for the lenght of time and not get caught.

This crime is always on my mind. I drive by the shopping center several times a week, and I shop there at least a couple times a week. I lived here a couple of years before I was aware of this crime. I have always felt so safe in this shopping center. It really blew my mind something like this happened there. My husband works within a 5 minute drive. His admin assistant is the one that told me about it. We got to talking about the cameras one day and she said this is the reason why they installed them. Then of course I had to research it.

Here’s where I’m at atm on this case. I think the perp(s) had some insider info on how deliveries at Lane Bryant worked. I say this because they knew the area stores delivered amongst themselves, and the papers they had looked authentic enough for RM to call another store. I also think they knew that particular store probably didn’t have security cameras. One would assume most stores like this had cameras in 2008. I think someone involved had ties to either a Lane Bryant employee in the area or a delivery person in the area.

I think some locals were involved. I don’t see them getting out so quickly if they didn’t know the area really well. I think the guy we have the sketch of may not be local since no one has turned him in. I think he had ties to the area. I think that his accomplices killed him after the sketch came out and that’s why he’s not triggered any databases yet. I don’t see this person staying out of trouble for all this time. Maybe they couldn’t isolate his prints and just have his dna?

I think 3-4 if not more were involved. The 2 cars in the video that show up just before the call but are gone by the time the cop arrives. It would be crazy if they weren’t involved and just randomly there and did not notice anything or come forward with all the commotion going on by then. I think there were probably 2 people in each car. I think they let him out and backup was going to come in at the 30 minute mark or the target cop scared them. You can here him talking in another part of the store when the 911 call is first answered. When he says “I’m loosing it” and “foolishness” about 20 seconds into the call he’s the closet to her. I think by then he had noticed she was on the phone. I think she’s killed about then. I think the others are killed right after and it’s edited out. Then I think he fled. I think the call never disconnected.

I’m not sure if this case will be solved. It needs a fresh set of eyes or some breakthrough in technology. Maybe that would help. I think as far as tips from the general public goes that time has passed. They could release some more info but who knows if that would trigger anything this long after. I think the best bet we have for it getting solved is when someone that knows something develops a conscious or gets mad and turns them in. I pray it’s soon for everybody’s sake.

I'm not surprised either. There has been so little on this case. I have never seen it featured on any TV program on ID or any other crime channel. There are very few podcasts, compared to other crimes. I wish someone would do a "Nightmare in Las Cruces" type documentary for this case. If I had the money I would do it myself. It might bring more national attention to the case.

I always get excited when I see that there is activity on the thread. I don't have any connections to the case (have never even shopped at a Lane Bryant) but it's close to my heart for some reason. It's just so bizarre. Thanks to you guys who are posting!

Just now came across this thread, cannot believe that i have not heard of this case before.
Well my first thought after seeing the suspect's composite, is one that might annoy people as i do not have a great knowledge about AA hairstyles, or even if the perp is AA, could he be from elsewhere?
BUT..
having just the one little braid paraded in front of his face with its' little green beads, seems kind of effeminate and precious somehow and strangely at odds with the that big strapping perp, capable of the stone cold murder of 5 women unrelated to him.
Did the perp have greenish coloured eyes and was told the pretty little beads would help bring them out, was green a gang/ sports team colour?
Did he have an over-sized mother who shopped there, was she humiliated there in some way, was he? imo, speculation.

Lane Bryant Murders: Last Piece Of Case's Puzzle Needed, Cops Say
The alleged shooter is described as:
  • between 6 feet and 6 feet 2 inches tall with a husky build and broad shoulders;
  • between 25 to 35 years old, at the time of the murders, making him 35 to 45 years old today;
  • having braided hair that day, with three to five puffy cornrows pulled toward the back of his head and a single braid with four light-green beads on its end dangling down his right cheek; and
  • wearing a charcoal gray ski or skull cap at the time of the murders, with a dark-colored, waist-length jacket and black jeans that had embroidery on their back pockets resembling a cursive letter "G".

Just now came across this thread, cannot believe that i have not heard of this case before.
Well my first thought after seeing the suspect's composite, is one that might annoy people as i do not have a great knowledge about AA hairstyles, or even if the perp is AA, could he be from elsewhere?
BUT..
having just the one little braid paraded in front of his face with its' little green beads, seems kind of effeminate and precious somehow and strangely at odds with the that big strapping perp, capable of the stone cold murder of 5 women unrelated to him.
Did the perp have greenish coloured eyes and was told the pretty little beads would help bring them out, was green a gang/ sports team colour?
Did he have an over-sized mother who shopped there, was she humiliated there in some way, was he? imo, speculation.

Lane Bryant Murders: Last Piece Of Case's Puzzle Needed, Cops Say
The alleged shooter is described as:
  • between 6 feet and 6 feet 2 inches tall with a husky build and broad shoulders;
  • between 25 to 35 years old, at the time of the murders, making him 35 to 45 years old today;
  • having braided hair that day, with three to five puffy cornrows pulled toward the back of his head and a single braid with four light-green beads on its end dangling down his right cheek; and
  • wearing a charcoal gray ski or skull cap at the time of the murders, with a dark-colored, waist-length jacket and black jeans that had embroidery on their back pockets resembling a cursive letter "G".
I’ve saw some people speculate the green may have something to do with a gang in online comments. I don’t know enough about that stuff though to analyze it.

I'm not surprised either. There has been so little on this case. I have never seen it featured on any TV program on ID or any other crime channel. There are very few podcasts, compared to other crimes. I wish someone would do a "Nightmare in Las Cruces" type documentary for this case. If I had the money I would do it myself. It might bring more national attention to the case.
Even if the police refuse to give any more info I think it would be good. I’d love to see interviews from local Lane Bryant employees from around that time. I’d love to hear their thoughts. I’ve always been interested just to hear their thoughts on store delivery’s, staffing, and security.

I’ve saw some people speculate the green may have something to do with a gang in online comments. I don’t know enough about that stuff though to analyze it.
Not necessarily what the perp had in mind, but nonetheless it fits, just speculation - regarding the 4 hair beads, green of course is associated with money and in many Asian societies, the number 4 is associated with death.
Tetraphobia - Wikipedia

I don’t know anything about hair styling, but it seems to me that he would have had to had his hair braided by someone else. Aren’t their hair styling places that specialize in braids? Or do regular hair salons do hairstyles like this?

Is it possible that he didn’t usually wear his hair like this but he chose a drastically different hair style that day hoping anyone searching for him would focus on the unusual hair style?

Is it possible that the braids were hair extensions that he had done before and removed right after the crime?

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about hair styling, but it seems to me that he would have had to had his hair braided by someone else. Aren’t their hair styling places that specialize in braids?
Yes there is, but a lot of them get their braids done by someone they know to save money. They did go around to the local salons to see if anyone recognized him when this first happened.

I don’t know anything about hair styling, but it seems to me that he would have had to had his hair braided by someone else. Aren’t their hair styling places that specialize in braids?
Imo, someone certainly carefully styled the perp's hair and that person no doubt knows who he is, they would recognize their own handiwork and the bead choice.
Maybe since nobody has spoken up as far as we know, a family member did it for him?
Thinking LE should publish his sketch with the emphasis on his hair in hair-styling mags and AA hair styling places nation-wide.
Getting a bit of a Jesse Matthews type vibe (without the sexual violence)..
speculation, imo.

WTVR.com
The disturbing timeline of Jesse Matthew's sexual violence

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member