AMBER ALERT CT - Vanessa Morales, 1, missing after mother found deceased, Ansonia, 28 Nov 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been stated that the doors were locked/unlocked when mom was found? Any signs of a break in? What was the relationship between mother/father?
the only thing I read/heard from LE was that they went there around 1 pm, no signs of issues however when they went back that same day at 7 pm they saw enough to make entry. I think the scene didn't change other the fact family/coworkers called twice and with a child involved gave them cause. IMO

This is local to me (25 minutes away), and I have realized as people share posts on FB regarding baby Vanessa, that I have mutual friends with her family. Because of this I know Mom’s name, even though family is being very hush hush about what even happened to mom.

I’m sure LE has their reasons for keeping quiet, but I’m curious as to what they are. Any ideas?

This is local to me (25 minutes away), and I have realized as people share posts on FB regarding baby Vanessa, that I have mutual friends with her family. Because of this I know Mom’s name, even though family is being very hush hush about what even happened to mom.

I’m sure LE has their reasons for keeping quiet, but I’m curious as to what they are. Any ideas?

I got mom/dad and almost every uncle and aunt. The thing is, we can't post any of it until someone is named in MSM. It's the rules and believe it or not, for good reason.
I personally feel the names are not coming out to protect the sensitive situation with a 1yr old. She is missing. That's were the main focus is on at this point. IMO

Press Conference - December 3:
  • Homicide occurred at and Venessa is missing from 6 1/2 Myrtle Avenue, Ansonia, CT.
  • Ansonia Police, CT State Police, Derby Police and the FBI are now investigating.
  • "Engaged all of our resources to investigate this case"
  • Main focus is finding Venessa Morales to make sure she is safe
  • Monday, Dec 2 at approximately 12:56pm, Ansonia Police received a request for a welfare check for a female at 6 1/2 Myrtle Avenue after she failed to show up for work or call in sick. Officer went to residence, tried to make contact, and received no answer at the home.
  • At Approximately 7:30pm, a second request for a welfare check was received for 6 1/2 Myrtle Avenue. Officers were dispatched and "while checking the home, made a decision to force entry." Once inside, a body of a deceased white woman was located.
  • "Information was received that a Venessa Morales, age 1, should have been in the home but there was no one else in the home"
  • Detectives began to interview the father as well as family members from both the mother and father's side
  • FBI joined the investigation to search for the missing child
  • No last clothing description.
  • Best timeline is her being last seen by a relative on Friday evening
  • Death investigation is being handled as a homicide and a positive identification is pending the autopsy
Questions - Lieutenant Lynch answering:
  • Is the father a suspect in this case? - "We have no identified suspects in the case at this time. We are following several leads and tracking those down as we go and making sure we check everyone out"
  • Is the father being cooperative? - "The father has been cooperative. He has been interviewed by us. We are still in the process of gaining information from him."
  • Did the father live in the home? - "Our information is the father occasionally stayed at the home but did not live at the home"
  • Active search going on? - "Members of Ansonia Derby and State Police are out checking different locations that we have been able to glean from information received as part of our investigation"
  • Amber Alert? - "We have had multiple discussions. We are at the point where we are following every lead we have. Once we have exhausted all those leads, we will then look at and probably institute an Amber Alert"
  • Anybody else in the picture? Living in the home? - "Our information is that the mother and child lived in the home"
  • Any reason to believe the public might be in danger? - "We do not believe the public is in danger. We do not believe this was a random act. We believe this is an isolated incident and we are actively pursuing all leads related to it."
  • Can we call it domestic? - "We are not making that determination at this time."
  • Had the police been called to this home before in the past for other issues? - "From our records checks, we have no other calls to the house of any meaning and no other calls with any of the residents we have identified as living there."
  • Is the property an apartment or a house? - "It is a single family house."

Last edited:
1-Year-Old Connecticut Girl Missing from Home Where Her Mother Was Found Dead
Snipped bbm
Officers first arrived at the house around 1 p.m. after a welfare check was requested because Vanessa’s mother did not show up for work, nor did she call in sick or seemingly tell anyone where she was. No one answered at the house, however, and the officers left.

But by Monday evening, family members grew concerned and requested a second welfare check. When officers returned around 7:30 p.m., they found evidence of a forced entry to the home, and Vanessa’s mother dead on the premises.
——
My hope is the baby was the target and she’s still alive...
JMO

My first inclination based on stats and Occam’s razor is DV...I’m curious what LE saw the second time they came that made them force entry. In the latest article above in bold it states that they saw signs of forced entry. Was that not present at the earlier welfare check or did they simply not look enough to see it? Where are you baby girl? Ugh I hate this.

Hopefully autopsy can give them a better time frame with at least relative time of death known so they can start narrowing this down (not sure if a heater was on in house or other factors that might skew the findings).

My first inclination based on stats and Occam’s razor is DV...I’m curious what LE saw the second time they came that made them force entry. In the latest article above in bold it states that they saw signs of forced entry. Was that not present at the earlier welfare check or did they simply not look enough to see it? Where are you baby girl? Ugh I hate this.

Hopefully autopsy can give them a better time frame with at least relative time of death known so they can start narrowing this down (not sure if a heater was on in house or other factors that might skew the findings).
Excellent point - and when was mom really seen for the last time ? Last Friday evening based on the presser - so what was the state of the body? Had she been dead for days? Ugh

I feel like we are heading down a road where it is going to come out that they really dropped the ball by not already issuing one.

There's no ball dropping here. There are specific criteria for an Amber Alert, and this case doesn't reach the threshold. The reason for the specific criteria is to ensure it's not overused, which then reduces its value. If every time a child went missing we did an Amber Alert, people would stop looking. They're rare, in part because they only use it (with rare exceptions) when there's a vehicle descriptor and a non-custodial, non-familial abduction.

Connecticut Amber Alert - Frequently Asked Questions

Someone asked about why they went inside the second time they were called to the house for a welfare check, but not the first. My guess is they knocked, saw nothing amiss at the front door, and left. Job completed. Second time around, someome maybe made sure to check all doors/windows, look inside as best they could, and either there was a force at another entrance or they could see mom inside. And then made entry and the discovery of the body.

Dad is 'cooperating' per LE. But they're very tight lipped about names, even moms. And I wonder if this is because without names we can't search court database. One theory in my head is they suspect dad, but they have him and not the child, and they don't want to jeopardize finding the child if she's being hidden, so they don't want him to feel backed into a corner, pressured.

I absolutely believe in my gut they have an idea of who has her at least, even if they aren't sure where.

From the presser: LE forced entry, they didn't say they noticed forced entry. They could have looked into windows and saw stuff knocked over etc and that's why they decided to go in. IMO
1-Year-Old Connecticut Girl Missing from Home Where Her Mother Was Found Dead
Snipped bbm
Officers first arrived at the house around 1 p.m. after a welfare check was requested because Vanessa’s mother did not show up for work, nor did she call in sick or seemingly tell anyone where she was. No one answered at the house, however, and the officers left.

But by Monday evening, family members grew concerned and requested a second welfare check. When officers returned around 7:30 p.m., they found evidence of a forced entry to the home, and Vanessa’s mother dead on the premises.
——
My hope is the baby was the target and she’s still alive...
JMO

The article I posted said they found evidence the second time of forced entry to the home - so which is it? Was there no forced entry the first time? I think this is a very important detail because if there was no forced entry that first check - then that narrows down the time she might have been taken IMO

From the presser: LE forced entry, they didn't say they noticed forced entry. They could have looked into windows and saw stuff knocked over etc and that's why they decided to go in. IMO
The article states that they also saw signs of forced entry - you think that’s just reporting error perhaps?

ETA: oops posted same time as above.

There's no ball dropping here. There are specific criteria for an Amber Alert, and this case doesn't reach the threshold. The reason for the specific criteria is to ensure it's not overused, which then reduces its value. If every time a child went missing we did an Amber Alert, people would stop looking. They're rare, in part because they only use it (with rare exceptions) when there's a vehicle descriptor and a non-custodial, non-familial abduction.

Connecticut Amber Alert - Frequently Asked Questions

Someone asked about why they went inside the second time they were called to the house for a welfare check, but not the first. My guess is they knocked, saw nothing amiss at the front door, and left. Job completed. Second time around, someome maybe made sure to check all doors/windows, look inside as best they could, and either there was a force at another entrance or they could see mom inside. And then made entry and the discovery of the body.

Dad is 'cooperating' per LE. But they're very tight lipped about names, even moms. And I wonder if this is because without names we can't search court database. One theory in my head is they suspect dad, but they have him and not the child, and they don't want to jeopardize finding the child if she's being hidden, so they don't want him to feel backed into a corner, pressured.

I absolutely believe in my gut they have an idea of who has her at least, even if they aren't sure where.

Agreed. While dad is said to be “cooperating“ I think they do have a good idea of what happened. As they said the public is not at risk and this was an isolated, targeted incident...I think they’re getting their ducks in a row while also trying to find the little one. Not releasing mom’s name is key. The reason gave for holding back her name was pending identification/notification but we know the family is already involved and has certainly identified her...

The article I posted said they found evidence the second time of forced entry to the home - so which is it? Was there no forced entry the first time? I think this is a very important detail because if there was no forced entry that first check - then that narrows down the time she might have been taken IMO

It does say that however I'm going off what I actually heard LE say. Things can get mixed up with MSM. I agree if there was forced entry it could change the ball game but until we get clarification I'm going off the presser. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member