MO MO - Janet Knife, 26, Jefferson City, 13 Nov 1986

I think the gap between her teeth could have been narrowed by the braces, but totally closed? I don't know...
I guess it would depend on a few things. I don’t know much about braces or how long they have to be worn. If I had to guess, by looking at her younger photos, she would have had to wear them for awhile in order to correct some of her dental issues. From what I can tell, she didn’t have them in 1977, at least not when the yearbook photo was taken. So I’ll say summer 1978 she got them. That’s about 8 years? I don’t think I know anyone who has had to wear braces that long. o_O

I’m no dentist and it’s still a little hard for me to see her teeth clearly, but I just wonder if braces alone would have corrected what I’m seeing? Idk... JMO.

ETA: here’s the best up-close I can get from my phone...
3DB5877F-2FA8-4A53-AAD9-4658E9E7888E.jpeg

Current rule outs/exclusions/non-matches: (per NamUs)
UP5321 12/02/1990 McDonald MO
UP1567 06/01/1987 Knox TN (Shotgun JD)
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (black and white ancestry, race uncertain, maybe a mix)
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
No longer listed
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA No longer listed
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

For convenience the links.

Current rule outs/exclusions/non-matches: (per NamUs)
UP5321 12/02/1990 McDonald MO
UP1567 06/01/1987 Knox TN (Shotgun JD)
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (black and white ancestry, race uncertain, maybe a mix)
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
No longer listed
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA No longer listed
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

For convenience the links.

I guess it would depend on a few things. I don’t know much about braces or how long they have to be worn. If I had to guess, by looking at her younger photos, she would have had to wear them for awhile in order to correct some of her dental issues. From what I can tell, she didn’t have them in 1977, at least not when the yearbook photo was taken. So I’ll say summer 1978 she got them. That’s about 8 years? I don’t think I know anyone who has had to wear braces that long. o_O

I’m no dentist and it’s still a little hard for me to see her teeth clearly, but I just wonder if braces alone would have corrected what I’m seeing? Idk... JMO.

ETA: here’s the best up-close I can get from my phone...
View attachment 219247

You would have braces for 2 to 3 years. After that nowadays they put in a retention wire. I don't know if they did this in the seventies/eighties.

From a dentist side:
At the end of the brace treatment when the tooth movement is complete, the teeth must grow and remain in their new position. A retention wire or retention bracket is used to stabilize the teeth. A retention wire, also called splint, is a metal wire that is glued to the tongue side of the teeth. In the beginning that feels strange for a while, but soon you do not notice it and you are used to it. The splint must remain in place for a few years after the active treatment. If you want the certainty that your teeth will stay upright for longer, we advise you to leave the splint as long as possible.

Last edited:
Last seen in Jefferson Missouri, car found in Fultondale, Alabama, and her destination was Georgia.

Tracing the route in Google Maps, she drove 9 hours of a 13 hour drive. She made it half way there.

The question is, where in Fultondale Alabama her car was found? Gas station? Rest stop? Motel? Mall? Abandoned in the road?

Depending on the location of the car, she could've met with foul play.

And on what date the car was found.....and what was for her the logical/most convenient route? Were certain highways even there those days?

upload_2019-12-8_10-13-5.png

I'm not sure what to think of all the rule outs from Virginia. You would think if you search you would look for UID's along the lines of the possible route and not a couple of states away. Or did I miss something?

I'm not sure what to think of all the rule outs from Virginia. You would think if you search you would look for UID's along the lines of the possible route and not a couple of states away. Or did I miss something?
I think Virginia is one of a couple of states, if not the only one, who tested just about all of their UIDs with MPs in NamUs. I’ve noticed especially since I started posting the ruleouts on threads here, almost all of them have at least one from Virginia. Though most of them have several...

So, death date 1986 but listed in 1993. Was 1993 a date when someone submitted for presumed death?

cial Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

defaults
No Image
Text-only collection

Name: Janet Elaine Knife
[Janet Elaine Clark]
[J Knife]
Race: White
Birth Date: 26 Nov 1959
Birth Place: Versailles M, Missouri
[Tuscumbia, Missouri]
Death Date: Nov 1986
SSN: 498749187
Signature on SSN Card: Janet Knife
Relationship of Signature: Signature name differs from NH’s name.
Notes: 16 Dec 1975: Name listed as JANET ELAINE KNIFE; 24 Nov 1978: Name listed as JANET ELAINE CLARK; 27 Oct 1993: Name listed as J E KNIFE

I think Virginia is one of a couple of states, if not the only one, who tested just about all of their UIDs with MPs in NamUs. I’ve noticed especially since I started posting the ruleouts on threads here, almost all of them have at least one from Virginia. Though most of them have several...

Ah, thanks...good to know and good they do.

So, death date 1986 but listed in 1993. Was 1993 a date when someone submitted for presumed death?

cial Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

defaults
No Image
Text-only collection

[Janet Elaine Clark]
[J Knife]
[Tuscumbia, Missouri]
Notes: 16 Dec 1975: Name listed as JANET ELAINE KNIFE; 24 Nov 1978: Name listed as JANET ELAINE CLARK; 27 Oct 1993: Name listed as J E KNIFE

Maybe there was a Mr. Clark who did this?

Learn something new everyday ...

Guide to Using Social Security Administration Records | Legacy Tree

“Social Security Death Index (SSDI)
The Social Security Death Index is an index to all deceased individuals who have held social security numbers and whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration.”

J. E. Knife
in the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014

Name: J. E. Knife
Social Security Number: 498-74-9187
Issue year: 1975-1976
Issue State: Missouri

“Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
One additional online database should be included in any discussion of records of the Social Security Administration. Ancestry’s collections include the Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007. These are extracts of claims filed with the Social Security Administration, and include life claims for disability or retirement benefits, death claims for survivor benefits, applications for a replacement SS card, or applications for changes to a SS card (e.g., a name change).”

Janet Elaine Knife
in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
[Janet Elaine Clark]
[J Knife]
[Tuscumbia, Missouri]

Here’s an example used on that link:
17F672CD-9911-48B7-82FC-69FD2E89BB5A.jpeg
“Priscilla had several name changes. According to her index entry, Priscilla Fay Bolling registered for a social security card in November 1943, changed her name to Priscilla Fay Ripley in January 1952, and changed her name to Priscilla Fay Reedy on 24 January 1978. She was alternately known as Mrs. John Ripley and Mrs. Priscilla Bailey.

Using this information, we located two marriage records for Priscilla:

9 September 1977—Priscilla Fay Ripley married Edward Carroll Reedy.

15 May 1943—Priscilla Fay Jones married Benjamin Franklin Bolling.

We did not, however, locate a marriage record for Priscilla Fay Bolling to John Ripley. However, because of the Social Security Applications and Claims Index entry, we know the marriage occurred, and when we found the record for the marriage of Priscilla Fay Jones to Benjamin Franklin Bolling, we knew we had the right person, and were able to obtain her birth certificate, confirming her parentage.”

Maybe there was a Mr. Clark who did this?
I’m going to guess she was declared dead in 1993?

There’s not much detail when it comes to the circumstances of her disappearance, but usually if it doesn’t mention a spouse, I just assume the person didn’t have one at the time. Or they had one in the legal sense but not otherwise. Since both of her parents were alive in 1993 (and I fell asleep before I could find anything on her marriages ;) ), it’s hard to say who filed to have her declared deceased. Based on these two records anyway...

I’m going to guess she was declared dead in 1993?

There’s not much detail when it comes to the circumstances of her disappearance, but usually if it doesn’t mention a spouse, I just assume the person didn’t have one at the time. Or they had one in the legal sense but not otherwise. Since both of her parents were alive in 1993 (and I fell asleep before I could find anything on her marriages ;) ), it’s hard to say who filed to have her declared deceased. Based on these two records anyway...

I agree with the year she was declared dead. I find it somehow strange that in the Find a Grave memorials both her parents don't mention her as preceded them in death or even mentioned her as their daughter. Maybe they still hoped she was found and she could have her own grave/memorial. Don't forget to sleep............

I agree with the year she was declared dead. I find it somehow strange that in the Find a Grave memorials both her parents don't mention her as preceded them in death or even mentioned her as their daughter. Maybe they still hoped she was found and she could have her own grave/memorial. Don't forget to sleep............

No mention of her is unusual, it seems she has four siblings. Sad nothing more is known publicly about her disappearance. Noticed though her family mostly is in Tennessee.

Janet Elaine Jones
Birth Date: November 26, 1959
[Tuscumbia, Missouri]

Notes:
16 Dec 1975: Name listed as JANET ELAINE KNIFE
24 Nov 1978: Name listed as JANET ELAINE CLARK
27 Oct 1993: Name listed as J E KNIFE
**For clarification, I’m not sure why I inadvertently pasted her name as “Jones” here. It should have been Knife.**
(I know most of you knew that :p)
Could be why I’ve been thinking she was married twice :confused: Still can’t find anything else... One thing I’ve never been able to do though is easily spot a possible adoptee or whether someone shares a birth date with one or more sibling. OT, I’m not saying that’s the case here!

I think the gap between her teeth could have been narrowed by the braces, but totally closed? I don't know... It can't be that bad claiming you as relative :)
I just caught this BOH! You’re kind to say that! (And wise to includethat bad” :D)

**For clarification, I’m not sure why I inadvertently pasted her name as “Jones” here. It should have been Knife.**
(I know most of you knew that :p)
Could be why I’ve been thinking she was married twice :confused: Still can’t find anything else... One thing I’ve never been able to do though is easily spot a possible adoptee or whether someone shares a birth date with one or more sibling. OT, I’m not saying that’s the case here!

I just caught this BOH! You’re kind to say that! (And wise to includethat bad” :D)

Could it be because her fathers name (and mother's married name) is Jones. Or they are the wrong parents. Made me think Janet maiden name is Jones.....It's of course possible she was a foster child and her maiden name is Knife.

I assume this is probably a dead thread by now, and I haven't looked at it in years, but I thought I'd return and clear up a few things.

First, yes, Janet was my mother. I am one of her 2 children by different fathers. She was married once out of high school to Oliver Clark Jr (Nickname Dusty), and divorced about a year later when she found him cheating on her. She was engaged to the man she was visiting in Georgia, my father, who was already married at the time. She had 1 sibling, a half sister. And the other information seems to be mostly false that was found. Her parents are both still alive, and not who were listed in the post above. I believe somehow 2 different people got mixed up there, as none of our family I know of live in Tennessee. We've never had her declared officially dead, though it is possible some official somewhere may have.

As far as what the family thinks....well..... the general consensus was that my father killed her. He investigated at first, but the military, which he was serving in at the time, never really pursued it. He ran away years later to Alaska and North Carolina and has a family somewhere. I don't know much about him, as I've never spoken to him nor have the urge. His name is Ken (Kenneth) Deppe.

Last edited:
Also, to correct another thing I saw that was discussed. Her birth name was Janet E. Brown (grandmother's maiden name), and Layman Jones was listed as her father, but not a part of her life. When my grandmother married Billy Knife, he adopted her legally and the original certificate was destroyed or archived, not sure which. She went by Janet Knife her entire life until she was married to Mr. Clark, then went back to it after her divorce.

Last edited:
Also, to correct another thing I saw that was discussed. Her birth name was Janet E. Brown (grandmother's maiden name), and Layman Jones was listed as her father, but not a part of her life. When my grandmother married Billy Knife, he adopted her legally and the original certificate was destroyed or archived, not sure which. She went by Janet Knife her entire life until she was married to Mr. Clark, then went back to it after her divorce.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us @cauthon1041 It must be very hard..the not knowing what happened to your mother and also what people think about what your father possibly did.... Good thoughts for you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giulian.57
Back