IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
This picture gave me chills. Then I realized I went to high school with Patrick's sister and may have known him at one point. I was in classes with his sister, and I remember her brother being around. I thought he was older, but it's possible he was younger. We graduated in 2010. I often saw the family at the Fareway in Evansdale, so he would be familiar with the area.

Was the grocery store where the boys were hanging out called the Fareway? Wasn't that where the girls stopped to ask for directions to the lake?

Do you remember anything about him?
IF he's the kid I remember (I remember two girls and a boy in the family, and the sister's FB page lists him as the only brother, so I'm fairly certain it's him), he was a quiet kid, but polite when spoken to. His parents did enough talking for all of their kids, honestly. I texted my mom to see if she remembers anything - she still lives in the area, and I think she went to high school with his mom. She would talk to his mom and dad often. I remember he was on the bowling team. I plan to see if I can find my senior yearbook when I'm home for Christmas in 2 weeks, because he should have been a sophomore that year. I think the reason I was thinking he was older, honestly, was because he seemed more "mature" in his demeanor than his sister, but looking back, I don't remember him being in school when I started but he was still there when I graduated.

I hadn't heard the girls stopped and asked for directions to the lake. Sounds like it's a rumor, but possible - I don't think I would have known how to get there by myself at their age; I remember asking my mom for directions on how to get there around their age. This case is all so eerie for me, since I rode my bike the same paths they did when I was growing up.

I can say with absolute certainty the last time I saw the parents was at Fareway, circa 2013. That's actually the time I was thinking of, because I remember the dad always made me uncomfortable so I wasn't thrilled to see them. I can also say they did not live in Cedar Falls when they were growing up. The kids went to East, so they lived in Evansdale or East Waterloo. My mom might know. It looks like part of the family lives in Colorado now and parts are still in the Waterloo area.

UPDATE: Apparently, Patrick has a cousin, and he's the kid on the bowling team I was thinking about. I did know Patrick's sister, and she was often seen with her cousin around town. His cousin was also the one on the bowling team. Also, it was Patrick's aunt and uncle who my mom was friends with and I saw at Fareway.

Last edited:

Yes, this was what I was talking about. I thought that was the name of the grocery store but wasn't sure. I do remember doing searches early on around the store to see which path the girls could have taken along that area.

Thanks for finding this. It also gives me the opportunity to complement you on your sleuthing and posts, not only on this thread but on many other cases too.
You are a true asset to WS.

If anyone wants to do some sleuthing, I can verify this is Patrick's step-grandfather. His mother is said to live in Aurora, CO, and his aunt (the one I was referencing) still lives in Waterloo. Jennifer Boose, who would be a step(?) cousin to Patrick, and I can confirm she died of a drug overdose. The whole family is messed up in the drug scheme. Her brother, Joseph Jr., was arrested for murdering his girlfriend's toddler. ((Deputies say Waterloo man confessed manner, motive of murder)

I found a male with the same name who is listed as a sex offender. I'm not sure how he's related though...but he's too old to be the young Patrick who's under arrest.

He and his father share the same first & last name. According to his social media, his dad was born in 1970.

I was reading the thread that talked about the grocery store and bike trail. Growing up in the area, my mom was adamant that I stay off bike trails unless I was with an adult, so I had no idea that the bike trail extended to downtown Evansdale. I was always given directions that kept me on main sidewalks. So, I was envisioning this entire time that they were riding on sidewalks and main roads - I'd pictured that, assuming they were abducted where their bikes were found (it would be difficult to have placed them there without someone noticing, IMO), they had to ride through the park, and I'd long wondered why the heck they would ride back behind the lake since I never would have considered it myself. Assuming someone told them to take the trail (I can't imagine any sensible adult telling them to, but a teenager may have or someone with bad intentions (to corner them?) may have.

Also, seeing they would have gone past the skate park changes my perspective. My overprotective mother never allowed us to go to it - and a lot of misfits hung out there. I can just see a kid like young PB there, seeing the girls riding along, and who knows what happened. I have a hard time imagining a teen pulling the abduction/murder off on his own, which is why I think if he was involved in any way he had help.

This link to the skate park also includes a map showing where the park is located in relation to the lake. You can see the green line showing the bike trail from Fareway grocery store going to the backside of the lake where the bikes were found.
Note: A truck was seen parked on Arbutus Avenue which ends at a small lane going to an equipment building. This lane which is not shown on the map continues on through some trees to the lake.
Note: Pictures of the park may not show as it was back in 2012.
Skate Park

This link to the skate park also includes a map showing where the park is located in relation to the lake. You can see the green line showing the bike trail from Fareway grocery store going to the backside of the lake where the bikes were found.
Note: A truck was seen parked on Arbutus Avenue which ends at a small lane going to an equipment building. This lane which is not shown on the map continues on through some trees to the lake.
Note: Pictures of the park may not show as it was back in 2012.
Skate Park

“The Phil Muehl Skate Park is located on the Cedar Valley nature trail in the 900 block of W. Gilbert Drive in Evansdale.”

Oh wow, the similarities between his mug and BG sketch, the hair is throwing me off with the comparisons though. Never heard of this guy till today. IMO

Also, if he was captured by DNA do think that in either L&L or A&L cases a match would have been made already or does it match one person at a time?? I honestly don’t know how that works.

Well this depends on what comparative samples they have in our girls’ cases, moo.

Oh wow...

Yes, this was what I was talking about. I thought that was the name of the grocery store but wasn't sure. I do remember doing searches early on around the store to see which path the girls could have taken along that area.

Thanks for finding this. It also gives me the opportunity to complement you on your sleuthing and posts, not only on this thread but on many other cases too.
You are a true asset to WS.

I second this. @dotr rocks.

Patrick Richard Burt

UPDATE: Bond set at $1.5 M in 2015 trail attack

Formerly lived in Waterloo and Cedar Falls, sounds like his parents live in Cedar Falls. If my arithmetic's right, he would have been 17 in 2012.

I've seen that mug shot somewhere before.

This is one of the best tips we've seen in years for this case. Thanks to the local citizen for the information about kids hanging out at the Fareway store. I do recall the discussion back then about whether the girls stopped there on their bike trip. Same with the skate park. We followed those trails and more on Google Maps via many routes.

Has anyone confirmed yet where this person was living when the girls were kidnapped and murdered?

This is one of the best tips we've seen in years for this case. Thanks to the local citizen for the information about kids hanging out at the Fareway store. I do recall the discussion back then about whether the girls stopped there on their bike trip. Same with the skate park. We followed those trails and more on Google Maps via many routes.

Has anyone confirmed yet where this person was living when the girls were kidnapped and murdered?

PB was arrested September 12, 2012, in Black Hawk County for Disorderly Conduct.

He was not arrested until April, 2019 for the sexual assault that happened in July, 2015.

From what it sounds like (not sure how to confirm it), he left the area sometime after his 2015 crime. Many of his family members, including his parents, went with. I remember reading earlier that someone profiled the killer having left the area after media attention died down to this case, but it sounds like he had other crimes to run from.

However, I think attacking/raping a girl and leaving her for dead is quite different from abducting two girls from a trail, murdering them, and leaving them in a remote location. If he was involved with this particular crime in any way, he had to have a partner who's a more experienced criminal JMO.

From what it sounds like (not sure how to confirm it), he left the area sometime after his 2015 crime. Many of his family members, including his parents, went with. I remember reading earlier that someone profiled the killer having left the area after media attention died down to this case, but it sounds like he had other crimes to run from.

However, I think attacking/raping a girl and leaving her for dead is quite different from abducting two girls from a trail, murdering them, and leaving them in a remote location. If he was involved with this particular crime in any way, he had to have a partner who's a more experienced criminal JMO.

He was also arrested in Black Hawk County on February 24, 2017....

Trying to play catch up and the past threads (before #37) were shut down for some reason? Does anyone have any bullet points or articles that will give any of us just joining main points in the case? I have read this thread and the last one (#37).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong