GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

If she collapsed on the south side of the guard box, she had to have stumbled past the box. I don't think anyone was there. JMO.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/a...6/?temp_hash=cb7353ff15cccdff02d2b9ade3ea226e
Hears a link to what I read.

Posh Ivy League college denies fault over teen freshman’s brutal stabbing death

✔@Columbia

Update | As we have shared elsewhere, troubling reports about the absence of the public safety officer assigned to 116th and Morningside are inaccurate. The officer was at his post and came to the student's aid immediately upon recognizing that she was hurt.

Hears a link to what I read.

Posh Ivy League college denies fault over teen freshman’s brutal stabbing death

✔@Columbia

Update | As we have shared elsewhere, troubling reports about the absence of the public safety officer assigned to 116th and Morningside are inaccurate. The officer was at his post and came to the student's aid immediately upon recognizing that she was hurt.
I hope this is true. I would hate to think that she languished and died based on no care or no one on site.

A WORD TO THE WISE.....

POLITICAL STATEMENTS OF OPINION ARE A VIOLATION OF TOS. IF YOUR POST INCLUDES SUCH STATEMENTS, IT WILL BE REMOVED, NOT EDITED TO COME INTO COMPLIANCE WITH WEBSLEUTHS RULES. THAT MEANS THAT ENTIRE POSTS WILL BE REMOVED EVEN IF THERE IS A SINGLE REFERENCE TO A POLITICAL STATEMENT. WE DO NOT HAVE THE TIME OR RESOURCES FOR EDITING POSTS THAT SHOULD BE FOLLOWING THE WEBSLEUTHS RULES. CONSIDER CAREFULLY WHAT YOU WRITE BEFORE POSTING SO AS NOT TO LOSE YOUR POSTS.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel
Websleuths

If she collapsed on the south side of the guard box, she had to have stumbled past the box. I don't think anyone was there. JMO.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/a...6/?temp_hash=cb7353ff15cccdff02d2b9ade3ea226e

Article written by writer, journalist Michael Daly:

<snip> She was left grievously wounded and alone. She started up the wide granite steps toward her home away from home. She ascended to the left and then to the right and then up one 20-step flight and then another and then another. She somehow reached the top.

A Columbia University public safety officer was in the security booth by the top of the stairs, but she turned away from it toward some benches. She was bent over with her hands on her knees when the guard saw her. Her leggings and running shoes led him to assume she was just winded.

She sat down on the ground and then struggled to get up, and started in the direction of Barnard but fell over. The guard hurried to assist her. He was joined by a couple who had been passing by and a woman who had been walking her dog.

Barnard Student Who Came to NYC Full of Hope Has Unimaginable End

I just don’t get why they had to stab her? I mean, even if she resisted and bit them, they were a group of teen guys and she was a slight 18 year old girl. They could have overpowered her easily, taken her phone, bag, whatever. No reason to kill her for a stupid phone that they dropped anyway. Stupid to take her life and ruin theirs for absolutely nothing.
Wouldn't be the first time someone was killed senselessly for their possessions, would it?

Jordan Brown was exonerated, firstly. I have my personal opinions about whether or not he committed that crime, but that was an exoneration. Fully overturned. So not the same in any way.

Second, this is legally neither voluntary and certainly not involuntary manslaughter.

Third, our highest courts have ruled it is neither cruel nor unusual to lock up a kid for life who commits murder. Not everyone can be rehabilitated. So far, all we know is there is a 12 year old and a 13 year old who MURDERED an 18 year old for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Who is to say either one or both of them can be rehabilitated?

I for one don't believe people who murder deserve chances at rehabilitation. I don't care if they are 13 yo. If you are 13 and kill someone and aren't so deeply and dangerously mentally ill that you should be locked up anyway...you knew enough to know to not kill. Anyone who would take the chance deserves nothing but to be prevented from doing it to others. I don't think it's fair to all the innocent people out there to risk their lives.

The park is a pretty scary even in the day time (to me anyway). I have had occasion to be in the neighborhood and walk down and up that same staircase. There are often loud arguments among people who hang out there. While there is some police presence at the end or beginning of the school day, there are few people who cut across the park at night or during off-times.
The steep terrain creates an environment where it is hard to move quickly if you need to do so and has some twists and turns that make escaping harm harder. There are also not great sight lines where others can see what is happening or you can see who is approaching. On the other side of Columbia/Barnard is Riverside Park which always has more foot traffic and an easier view of the people and cars near you. And, because of the roads, it is easier to flag someone for help if you need to do so.

I so agree. You could not get me to walk through that park--ever. Plus to make it worse, she went through after nightfall, unfortunately. Morningside Park is scary--and looks scary. I stay away from Central Park too except for the outer edges.

It may be helpful for people to have a map of the area. Tessa was walking up the stairs at 116th and Morningside Drive. It is a step staircase with no sight lines to Morningside Drive until you are just about at the top. The EAst Campus/Greene (Law) and Faculty house are elevated and not street level access on Morningside or Amsterdam Ave. The arrows indicate ingress and egress from campus.

http://www.columbia.edu/files/columbia/content/morningsidemap_2015aug.pdf
Thank you for this map. It’s very helpful!

Thank you for this map. It’s very helpful!
Such a mixture in that area. The prestigious Columbia University, the beautifully stunning (especially during the holidays) Saint John the Divine Cathedral, and a park that could be a beautiful respite in the big city, but instead has a rep for scariness and danger..and now, once again, murder.

I wonder(moo) if the statement that the 13 year old picked up the knife after the “actual murderer” dropped it is just an excuse as to why his fingerprints may be found on the weapon.
One of my daughters attended college in NYC. I worried about her every day. Unfortunately I worry for my children every time they leave my home. It isn’t where these crimes occur. It is the perpetrators, and they can be anywhere.

Does anyone happened to know how far the security officer's booth/post is from the top of the stairs? I'm just trying to get a better picture of what the area looks like. I've seen a photo of the stairs she had to climb, but where is the security booth in relation to the top of the stairs?

IMO, I think that bringing in the politics (mayor, etc) just invites polarization. I live in and around NYC and work in very poor, crime ridden areas. I posted earlier that I struggled at Morningside Park because I don't feel safe due to the people who hang in the park, the terrain, and my ability to be seen or heard if I have a problem. I didn't feel safe there for many years, under many administrations.

I worked not far from where the young man was killed with a machete last year (in the Bronx) and there are areas where I encourage the youth in my care to never to go--- that killing was not about policing but rather a huge gang issue in that part of the Bronx. I work with young people and families who have been victims of horrific crime under many administrations-- not just the current or distant past administrations. I am always as cautious as I can be but none of that guarantees that I will never be a victim of a violent crime. In fact, when I was a victim of a violent crime, it was in a very nice neighborhood in a tawny town in CT, not very far from the confines of NYC--- it was just as brutal and took equally long to recover from.

My spouse attended Columbia. My child was on campus walking to 125th station on Wednesday at 6:30 (by the grace of all that is good, they were unharmed). I was on the Barnard and Columbia campuses a lot, especially out of the bubble on the Teacher's College campus. There is a fairly good police presence in and around campus with walking patrols, bike patrols, and squad car patrols. Morningside Park is not part of the campus but there are patrols on Morningside Drive-- remember the Cathedral backside is there as is St.Luke's Roosevelt hospital with doctor parking all along the Morningside Drive, along with the Columbia Buildings with no access to most buildings from Morningside Drive. There are often foot patrols walking along and around the area. Go north a little to the City College neighborhood and the presence is a lot, a lot less. Go even farther north and the presence is non-existent.

Awful things happen. If we look at all of the people missing in "good" areas and "bad" areas, we will see that evil happens despite economics, color, age and gender. I appreciate that WS tries to encourage us to step away from the political because the disappearance and killing of others deserves to be above a right or wrong in political thinking. JMO.

I checked "crime in Morningside Park", and am a little sketched out by the local neighborhood article I found:

West Side Rag » ‘Sucker-Punch Attacks’ in Morningside Park Have Neighborhood on Edge

Sure sounds familiar, doesn't it? BBM:

Several attacks in Morningside Park in recent weeks — some allegedly committed by children between the ages of about 12 and 15 — have raised concerns among neighbors in the area. Friends of Morningside Park has sent around a notice about the attacks, and a vigil is set for Thursday, May 9 at 6 pm to call attention to the violence.

In the past two weeks, three robberies were committed by a group of young people that appear to fit the same description, according to Captain Aneudy Castillo, commanding officer of the 26th Precinct. Castillo says that the suspects may also be responsible for other recent assaults.

“Two females and five males, very young,” he said. “They range in age from 12 to 15. Over the previous two weeks, they’ve committed three robberies. One robbery we can definitively say is them. We will shortly have arrest warrants for their arrest. The other two, we’re very confident it’s them, but we still have to do some work to establish probable cause. We expect to arrest them by the end of the week. We have their addresses, their names, we have everything we need to pick them up.

“We’ll bring them and interview them and, usually, especially with kids that are this young, in the presence of their parents, they admit to other things they’ve done.”

“None of victims can identify perpetrators, because they snuck up and attacked them,” he added.

“I want the community to rest assured that they’re identified, we know where they live, everybody in this precinct knows who they are, and we’re keeping an eye on them, and we’re going to make sure it doesn’t happen again,” he said.

I had the same thought myself as her fellow classmates, that maybe Tessa hadn't been in the city long enough to know that Morningside Park isn't safe after dark...

Students Say Barnard And Columbia Failed To Warn Them About Rising Crime In Morningside Park

Majors was not the first victim of a violent crime in Morningside Park this year, but neither Barnard nor Columbia told students about the series of crimes or any other risks in Morningside Park, according to three current students who spoke with Gothamist.

"There was a security orientation, but there wasn't anything about that park specifically," said Sarah Kopyto, a first-year Barnard student.

Though no official warning about the park was provided by Columbia or Barnard, all three current students said other students had cautioned them not to walk through the park, especially after dark.

"It's not safe. I was told not to walk through that park," Melony said. Melissa said that when she started freshman year "upperclassmen told me not to go through the park when its dark."

A 12-year-old girl allegedly took part in a spree of robberies around Morningside Park in April; long-time LGBT and AIDS activist Bob Lederer suffered traumatic brain injury after he was beaten and kicked in the head by a group of youths in Morningside Park on April 17; and in November the NYPD made arrests in a pattern of robbery cases in the area that "parallels this incident here," NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said at the Thursday news conference.

"Juveniles anywhere from 14 to 16 years of age arrested in that pattern," Shea said. According to the Times, there had been 20 robberies inside Morningside Park or on its perimeter as of December 8th of this year, compared to seven in the same period last year.

I know the area well myself, as I used to sublet there in the 90's and after I sublet, would visit many of my friends in the graduate programs; we knew not to go into Morningside Park after dark either.

A Park Shed Its Reputation. Then Came the Tessa Majors Murder.

Interesting article about the park, present and past, and surrounding neighborhoods. Some discussion of 3 suspects, all young teens.

The ages of the suspects in the case further unnerved local residents. First, a 13-year-old boy who lives in Harlem was arrested in connection with the killing. He was expected to be charged as a juvenile with second-degree felony murder, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, the police said.

The boy’s statements led investigators to two other suspects, one of whom is 14 years old and another who is believed to be the same age, officials said. One of the teenagers was detained and interviewed, and it was unclear whether he would be charged, officials said.

The other is believed to be the person who stabbed Ms. Majors and as of Friday evening was still being sought, according to a law enforcement official.

Does anyone happened to know how far the security officer's booth/post is from the top of the stairs? I'm just trying to get a better picture of what the area looks like. I've seen a photo of the stairs she had to climb, but where is the security booth in relation to the top of the stairs?

I posted a Google Maps photo in post #78. The booth is just on the south side of the staircase.

gotcha. thanks.
Well still IMO a kid his age deserves a chance rehabilitation.
And that's not unprecedented. Look at Jordan Brown fro example, he's in college now and he did a subjectively worse crime. (especially if looking at motive)
Unless theres something about this kid that would make him be treated differently than Jordan did, but idk.
Jordan Brown's conviction for murder was overturned.,

If this 13 yr old is convicted of murder and then it is overturned, he will be in same position as Jordan---given a chance to attend college etc.

But if not, and he is found guilty of stabbing an 18 yr old girl to death, in an armed robbery---I hope he does LIFE in prison. Maybe paroled at some point, after 30 years or more--depending upon his behaviour.

Why are "we" saying that this 13-year-old boy deserves this and that when we don't know what happened? The information we have so far is: Tessa was killed with a knife and robbed, they have a 13-year-old and a 14-year-old in custody. Apparently, the 13-year-old wasn't even the one who killed her.
If he took part in the robbery, went with them knowing they were planning armed robbery, then he can be found GUILTY of murder as well. That's how it works when someone dies while you take part in a felony.

We don't know if they planned to stab someone. That has not beet stated by LE and shouldn't be spoken as fact.
We don't know what happened.
We only know they are children and we don't know the circumstances that led to this point.

Unless you have a link to where MSM has said this was premeditated murder? Id like to see that if it exists.
The 13 yr old admitted they were in the park looking at people to rob. That doesn't mean murder was premeditated. But if someone dies while you are committing a felony, you can be charged with murder one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back