GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

A Park Shed Its Reputation. Then Came the Tessa Majors Murder.

Interesting article about the park, present and past, and surrounding neighborhoods. Some discussion of 3 suspects, all young teens.

The ages of the suspects in the case further unnerved local residents. First, a 13-year-old boy who lives in Harlem was arrested in connection with the killing. He was expected to be charged as a juvenile with second-degree felony murder, robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, the police said.

The boy’s statements led investigators to two other suspects, one of whom is 14 years old and another who is believed to be the same age, officials said. One of the teenagers was detained and interviewed, and it was unclear whether he would be charged, officials said.

The other is believed to be the person who stabbed Ms. Majors and as of Friday evening was still being sought, according to a law enforcement official.
It’s too bad about the park. It’s really pretty and should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. But it’s pretty secluded and being right smack in the middle of the city, I guess it’s a natural place for crime to happen.

If he took part in the robbery, went with them knowing they were planning armed robbery, then he can be found GUILTY of murder as well. That's how it works when someone dies while you take part in a felony.
I know, and I think that is stupid. If you don't stab someone you shouldn't be charged with stabbing someone. Just saying. But the law is the law. Even though this one is kinda stupid.

I know, and I think that is stupid. If you don't stab someone you shouldn't be charged with stabbing someone. Just saying. But the law is the law. Even though this one is kinda stupid.
I don’t think it’s stupid at all. If someone participates in a murder they should be charged with a murder, even if their actual hand might not have plunged the knife in. His hand picked up the knife and handed it to the person who actually stabbed her. If he hadn’t done that, maybe she wouldn’t be dead. MOO

They might be young but seems to show complete disregard for human life. Supposedly first wanted to rob a man but decided not to-presumably because a man could have kicked their behinds. A slight girl makes a much easier target.
Yes and it makes it worse in my mind because they didn’t need to kill her. They brought a knife to “go mugging” and obviously were just fine with using it.

I don’t think it’s stupid at all. If someone participates in a murder they should be charged with a murder, even if their actual hand might not have plunged the knife in. His hand picked up the knife and handed it to the person who actually stabbed her. If he hadn’t done that, maybe she wouldn’t be dead. MOO
I'm not talking about this case, just in general.

He was part of a gang of feral youths who had been terrorizing the neighborhood for quite some time.

The ‘Little Kids’ Suspected in Tessa Majors’ Murder

He was arraigned as a juvenile rather than as an adult because he was not believed to have actually inflicted the wounds that resulted in the death of Tessa Majors.

“I’m 13,” he replied when asked to state his age.

Detective Vincent Signoretti testified that the 13-year-old had confessed to robbing Majors along with two other teens: a 14-year-old who had also been arrested and a third teen who remained at large.

By the 13-year-old’s account as told by the detective, the three teens had considered robbing a man before targeting Majors. The 13-year-old had cast himself as almost a spectator while one of his pals rifled her pockets and the other pal applied a chokehold such as been popular with New York muggers since the “bad old days” of the 1980s. One of the pals dropped a knife and the 13-year-old said he had picked it up and given it to them. The teen still at large began stabbing Majors, slicing through her down jacket and causing feathers to fly in the air. She had struggled up the steps leading to Columbia University and Barnard. The teens fled in the direction of their middle school and the deli and their homes.

The 13-year-old was remanded without bail.

And we also only have 13 year old claims that he didn't do the stabbing. But yet he claims he picked up the knife, I presume to explain his fingerprints on it. Because he supposedly didn't do the stabbing personally, he is charged as a juvenile. I presume all three are going to blame others as to which one actually did the stabbing. So the 13 year old seems to me as pretty savvy as far as the law goes. Charged as juvenile, will be out at 21. Charged as an adult-a whole another story.

And we also only have 13 year old claims that he didn't do the stabbing. But yet he claims he picked up the knife, I presume to explain his fingerprints on it. Because he supposedly didn't do the stabbing personally, he is charged as a juvenile. I presume all three are going to blame others as to which one actually did the stabbing. So the 13 year old seems to me as pretty savvy as far as the law goes. Charged as juvenile, will be out at 21. Charged as an adult-a whole another story.
It will be interesting to hear the other teens’ stories. I also won’t be a bit surprised if they all blame each other.

Absolutely. If he had pocketed the knife she would probably be alive today.
Felony murder is a well-established concept in the criminal law and a serious crime in almost every jurisdiction. He will probably not be tried as an adult though, but the one who stabbed her will, I hope.

I wonder(moo) if the statement that the 13 year old picked up the knife after the “actual murderer” dropped it is just an excuse as to why his fingerprints may be found on the weapon.
One of my daughters attended college in NYC. I worried about her every day. Unfortunately I worry for my children every time they leave my home. It isn’t where these crimes occur. It is the perpetrators, and they can be anywhere.
bbm
Exactly !
Thanks for pointing this out.
Some are too quick to assume he only handed the knife back; in some msm articles.

I don't believe he just picked up that knife.
A mugger who plans his activities after school the way some kids plan to go skateboarding, tells me this wasn't a new, after-school 'activity' for them.
13 years old can still be a hardened thief and/or murderer.
This was a frenzied and vicious attack.
I'm wondering if one of them covered her mouth so no one could hear her ?
How incredibly brazen to do this while still daylight hours --where anyone could've come across the murder while they were out for a walk ?
And who knows how many of those teens took part in Tessa's murder ?

Last edited:
He was part of a gang of feral youths who had been terrorizing the neighborhood for quite some time.

The ‘Little Kids’ Suspected in Tessa Majors’ Murder

He was arraigned as a juvenile rather than as an adult because he was not believed to have actually inflicted the wounds that resulted in the death of Tessa Majors.

“I’m 13,” he replied when asked to state his age.

Detective Vincent Signoretti testified that the 13-year-old had confessed to robbing Majors along with two other teens: a 14-year-old who had also been arrested and a third teen who remained at large.

By the 13-year-old’s account as told by the detective, the three teens had considered robbing a man before targeting Majors. The 13-year-old had cast himself as almost a spectator while one of his pals rifled her pockets and the other pal applied a chokehold such as been popular with New York muggers since the “bad old days” of the 1980s. One of the pals dropped a knife and the 13-year-old said he had picked it up and given it to them. The teen still at large began stabbing Majors, slicing through her down jacket and causing feathers to fly in the air. She had struggled up the steps leading to Columbia University and Barnard. The teens fled in the direction of their middle school and the deli and their homes.

The 13-year-old was remanded without bail.
bolding mine
Excellent post.

first bolded : What exactly were the parents doing while this was happening ? I know the aunt of one of them has already spoken out and defended one of the alleged killers. Depending on how well she knows these teens, it's unsettling as who makes excuses for someone involved in a murder ?
She may not know any more facts than the public.
But this indicates that the teens families might be front and center at their trial, supporting their 'innocent' teens.
If the parents are all at work, didn't the teens have any chores to do after school, or homework ?
Were they allowed to come and go from their homes as they pleased ?

second bolded : That's just frightening. Even IF the 13 year old didn't stab her himself -- how can a kid stand and watch without any pity as a young lady is brutally murdered ?
A 'spectator' usually indicates someone at a football game.

third bolded : Their middle school. Their homes. Chilling.
They lived by that park and were familiar with areas that might be more secluded.
This is not a group of teens who made a mistake and things went too far. These are experienced criminals who didn't stop at taking a life.
Who else have they robbed and terrorized ??

From the 13 year old's remarks to LE -- they know how to play the legal system
Where did they learn this from ? At home ?
And I don't believe they picked up their 'lifestyle' from movies or tv. They had examples to follow.

fourth bolded : It would appear that LE aren't falling for this teens' "story".
The 13 year old apparently expected to be allowed to walk after absolving himself of any responsibility in Tessa's murder.
Guess not.

Last edited:
https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/barnard-stabbing-suspect-held-without-bail-after-tessa-majors-murder/

The three are stated here as being in middle school together so all must be ages 13-maybe 15. Caution - disturbing details.

Z D, 13, told cops that his pal “dropped a knife” as the pair and a third male suspect pounced on the 18-year-old college freshman in Morningside Park on Wednesday evening during a robbery-gone-awry, said NYPD Detective Vincent Signoretti, who helped interview Davis.

“Mr. D picked [the knife] up and handed it back to [his friend], and then Mr. Davis watched his friends grab the victim, put her in a chokehold and remove items from her pocket,” the cop said.

Then Davis “saw the victim get stabbed. He saw feathers come out of her jacket, and them all three of them ran out of they park … and they went home,” Signoretti said.
Sounds a tad premeditated to me JMO

James Ford‏Verified account @jamesfordtv
BREAKING—the #NYPD shut down parts of Morningside Park again, after reopening the park yesterday. The dive team is back in the pond, looking for evidence in #TessaMajors ‘s murder. Park goers in areas where there may be evidence were told to leave the park.

Perhaps, second teen being held provided more info. Perhaps, LE doesn't have the actual knife that was used in the murder.

Sounds a tad premeditated to me JMO
Oh I definitely believe the robbery attempt was premeditated. They stated as much that after school they wanted to go out "mugging people." I'm not so sure the murder was though...I think they had the knife to show in order to make someone comply with handing over stuff...but who knows what triggered them to actually stab her. It's such a shame and just not understandable..IMO

I think it is brilliant, not stupid. If I agree to help my friends go find people to rob at knifepoint, then I should share the blame if someone gets killed in the process. Even if I didn't plan to kill anyone, I'd have to know that someone could die. Armed robbery is based upon the threat of death.

If I agree to take part in a home invasion, even if I don't shoot anyone, I am partially to blame if the homeowner is shot by one of my friends. Again, the threat of death and force is part of the crime.

I think this is a great law. If someone agrees to be the getaway driver for a store hold up, and the clerk is killed, the driver should be held responsible as well. He was part of the crime and assisted in the murder by driving the killer and the weapon to the scene and helping the escape. I think that is totally fair.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to hear the other teens’ stories. I also won’t be a bit surprised if they all blame each other.
Well, that's the beauty of the 'Felony Murder' law. Who cares if they all point the finger at each other. It doesn't matter which one of them did the actual stabbing. If they all participated in the armed robbery, they all get charged with her death. As they should. JMO

James Ford‏Verified account @jamesfordtv
BREAKING—the #NYPD shut down parts of Morningside Park again, after reopening the park yesterday. The dive team is back in the pond, looking for evidence in #TessaMajors ‘s murder. Park goers in areas where there may be evidence were told to leave the park.

Perhaps, second teen being held provided more info. Perhaps, LE doesn't have the actual knife that was used in the murder.

BBM

I was just going to say I wonder what they’re looking for? Then I saw the 2nd part of your post. You’re probably right about the knife because I can’t think what else it could be.

bbm
Exactly !
Thanks for pointing this out.
Some are too quick to assume he only handed the knife back; in some msm articles.

I don't believe he just picked up that knife.
A mugger who plans his activities after school the way some kids plan to go skateboarding, tells me this wasn't a new, after-school 'activity' for them.
13 years old can still be a hardened thief and/or murderer.
This was a frenzied and vicious attack.
I'm wondering if one of them covered her mouth so no one could hear her ?
How incredibly brazen to do this while still daylight hours --where anyone could've come across the murder while they were out for a walk ?
And who knows how many of those teens took part in Tessa's murder ?

^^^ Respectfully BBM

NYPD is obvi not going to take the arraigned teen at his word as to how his dna/fingerprints may be or are on the knife (IF they do have that knife). Yet they have repeatedly stated that they do not believe that he is the actual stabber and prob not the one who held her in the chokehold either.

This MAY be bc he was picked up in a neighborhood building lobby almost 24 hrs after the murder wearing, in the least, the same coat and sneakers as he wore on the night of the murder. They would know the clothing he was wearing bc they have the video footage of the three teens entering the park.

IF he was the choke holder or the (literal) murderer, his coat as well as his sneakers would have her blood stains/her DNA on one or both articles.

<snip> Surveillance footage shows the trio entering the park, but there is not footage of the slaying, Signoretti said. The video helped cops nail *advertiser censored*, sources said.

Police canvassing the area after Majors’ death spotted *advertiser censored* in the lobby of a building near the scene, noticing that his clothing was the same as one of the suspect’s in the video, sources said

https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/new-d...bing-of-barnard-college-student-tessa-majors/

<snip, BMM> When he was nabbed, *advertiser censored* was still wearing the same outfit, including red sneakers, he allegedly wore during the slaying, sources said.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/new-d...bing-of-barnard-college-student-tessa-majors/

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho