She's back again!

What frightens me is that this woman HAS children! Books or no books...they are going to become some messed up adults! Religion and mental illness don't mix, IN MY VERY PERSONAL OPINION!

look at all the murders committed in the name of religion by mentally ill people .....esp. recently a lot of mothers.......andrea yates, big example, and the woman who cut off her baby's arms ..... tragic - so much tragedy......

In a day and age when kids can barely read and only write in a broken text message form she wants to take away one of the only books kids will read. What a dunba** I feel sorry for her family. I already have the book on order from amazon to be deliverd to me it's release date. Just like I did with the others. No I have never been involved in witch craft my religion (which the Harry Potter did not wipe out with a wand) doesn't allow that.

Well, if you want some fun summer reading, pick up Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books...and read them in order.

Steamy mysteries...what more could a WS girl ask for???

That sounds good... I'll go check them out!

What frightens me is that this woman HAS children! Books or no books...they are going to become some messed up adults! Religion and mental illness don't mix, IN MY VERY PERSONAL OPINION!
I do not like it when it is decided by some zealot what we and our kids should not read or view. It is up to our own decisions not somebody who has their own 'axe ' to grind. After all it was not uncommon for Adolph Hitler to burn books in public bonfires.......

I too grew up in a house where there were always books, books of every kind. When an older sister started working, she got "book of the month" selections. I would read those when only 12 and didn't understand some of them. I had to re-read when I got older to see what they were really about. I read to my kids and had them read to me when they were old enough, that is interesting because it sparks conversations you might never have had. When I worked, co-workers would bring in sacks full of paperbacks. Some were really good, many were not. My daughter soon picked up the habit of reading and if there was one I thought a little too mature for her I sure wouldn't tell her not to read it! She'd ask me what it was about and I would describe it in a way I thought she wouldn't be interested, sometimes it worked. My son didn't pick up the habit until in his 40's, he had back surgery and soon tired of daytime TV while re-cooping. He reads slowly but retains every word. If you can't afford to travel or be exposed to every walk of life, you sure can do it through books.

(quote)Maybe Laura Mallory is related to the Dursleys....what a Muggle!(unquote)

maybe she is related to the dursleys, but dont forget, hermione's parents are also muggles, and they must be very good folks, to be so understanding of their magical daughter :)

My grandson did a book report on a book that made no sense in the story or point it should have been teaching. I did very well in college in literature and then writing essays, but this book never got to the point or moral of the story. I typed his summary and wrote my own scathing review tacked on at the end. I do wish schools would check the books that they assign reports on and make sure that they are understandable by elementary age and adults since they do need to be prepared for college paper writing. Harry Potter is such a long series of books and I don't know that they should be assigned as reading and testing. My other grandson was assigned to read one, and just read bits of it and took his test based on the movie. He has no desire to be a warlock

My grandson did a book report on a book that made no sense in the story or point it should have been teaching. I did very well in college in literature and then writing essays, but this book never got to the point or moral of the story. I typed his summary and wrote my own scathing review tacked on at the end. I do wish schools would check the books that they assign reports on and make sure that they are understandable by elementary age and adults since they do need to be prepared for college paper writing. Harry Potter is such a long series of books and I don't know that they should be assigned as reading and testing. My other grandson was assigned to read one, and just read bits of it and took his test based on the movie. He has no desire to be a warlock

What was the book your grandson did a book report on?

I think the first Harry Potter book would be a good book to use in the classroom. It's got a great message about friendship and faith. So much happens to Harry in that first book -- it's a great fantasy and escape. In the end, the children do not even solve their problems through magic. First they play a mean game of chess, then Hermione saves them by using her brains (telling them how to escape that plant). Harry flies to catch that key, but broom flying is kind of like a sports skill. Then, in the end, it was his faith and honesty with the sorcerer's stone in his pocket that saved the day.

The first book remains my favorte, but I can't wait for the final book!

My ex-SIL refuses to allow my nephew to read or see HP, on religious grounds... which I respect, but find totally hypocritical because she allows him to read LOTR books and watch the LOTR movies. I have yet to figure out her concepts that witches/wizards/ethereal beings in the LOTR series are benign, but yet the witches/wizards/ethereal beings in HP are a spawn of the devil, evil, and trying to undermine our children.

LOL, if she is fighting this hard in grade school, just think how crazy she is going to be when her kids get to be teens and really get interested in choosing their own viewing/reading material. I predict they will be avid fans of The Ring, Saw, Chainsaw Massacre and etc.

Does this women know the difference between fantasy(fiction) and reality(as in non fiction)

This women sounds a tad delusional...........

Whew! So glad she lost again!
I am waiting with baited breath for the final HP book! Can't wait to get it!
We'll be going to see TOOTP movie the night it comes out. Big HP fans in my house! No surprise there! :p

Are any of you going to your local Waldenbooks or Borders for the Deathly Hallow's Ball? The book stores are putting it on the night that the last HP books are sold. The ball runs from 09:30 until 12am on July 20th here. You can purchase the books at 12am. They ask that you either dress up as your favorite HP character or in ball attire. Lots of prizes being given away! Check your local store! It's gonna be a blast! And it's the last one! (boohoo) The kids and I can't wait! I'm taking a bunch of neighbor kids with me too! :p I guess Mallory would say I'm recruiting :razz: :D

Whew! So glad she lost again!
I am waiting with baited breath for the final HP book! Can't wait to get it!
We'll be going to see TOOTP movie the night it comes out. Big HP fans in my house! No surprise there! :p

Are any of you going to your local Waldenbooks or Borders for the Deathly Hallow's Ball? The book stores are putting it on the night that the last HP books are sold. The ball runs from 09:30 until 12am on July 20th here. You can purchase the books at 12am. They ask that you either dress up as your favorite HP character or in ball attire. Lots of prizes being given away! Check your local store! It's gonna be a blast! And it's the last one! (boohoo) The kids and I can't wait! I'm taking a bunch of neighbor kids with me too! :p I guess Mallory would say I'm recruiting :razz: :D
I consider myself a conservative Christian, and I find nothing wrong with Harry Potter. In fact, my teenaged daughter and I will probably fight over who gets to be first to read the last book coming out on the 21st. I already ordered my book from Amazon.

My ex-SIL refuses to allow my nephew to read or see HP, on religious grounds... which I respect, but find totally hypocritical because she allows him to read LOTR books and watch the LOTR movies. I have yet to figure out her concepts that witches/wizards/ethereal beings in the LOTR series are benign, but yet the witches/wizards/ethereal beings in HP are a spawn of the devil, evil, and trying to undermine our children.

How does she feel about Wicked? And your hat?

Seriously, if you can "respect" such screwed up beliefs, you're a better person than I.

Oh my heavens! She is not alone in her thinking. From the Washington Post article: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/offbeat/2007/04/laura_mallory_v_harry_potter_3.html
came this post in response to the article:

"Satan is so clever in his deception. The pro-Potter lobby (can't spell Potter without Pot) truely believes they are fighting for literacy. But those of faith have the vision to see that there fight is being manipulated by the Dark ONe.
Laura Mallory is not alone. She speaks for the majority of mom's who want to protect our children from the evil forces in the world. God has given us the strength and we will not stand for your evil spewage. We have the will and the solem duty to defend our loved ones.

God Bless You Laura!

Posted by: Maria | April 21, 2007 10:19 AM"

The snip about "can't spell Potter without Pot" just about blew me away! There is enough true evil in this world without looking for it under leaves (pun intended) and rocks. I would hate to live my life with this mindthought!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back