KY KY - Kelly Hollan, 6, Hindman, 13 Feb 1982

Isn't this supposed to be a victim friendly forum? The accusations about mom here are over-the-top. No one knows what really happened, or what she may have gone through all of these years. What if she came here and read this and she is innocent?
I agree. Just because many parents now are pathologically obsessive "helicopter parents" who make their kids' lives not worth living by hovering over them constantly, that's no reason to judge the mother for not monitoring her son every second of the day back in 1982. It was a different era--an era when parents gave to their kids some freedom to explore--an era when some kids actually got some enjoyment out of life instead of feeling like supermax prisoners.

I agree. Just because many parents now are pathologically obsessive "helicopter parents" who make their kids' lives not worth living by hovering over them constantly, that's no reason to judge the mother for not monitoring her son every second of the day back in 1982. It was a different era--an era when parents gave to their kids some freedom to explore--an era when some kids actually got some enjoyment out of life instead of feeling like supermax prisoners.
12 at night seems a little late to call the police. She could have been calling neighbors. As a kid in the late 80’s early 90’s I played outside with friends. You might stop in a house get a drink warm up or cool off depending on the time of year. Little kids sometimes hung out with their older siblings and other kids and you kind of looked out for each other. Parents let you play longer if everyone was getting along. It’s possible she thought he was with kids or that he got lost and didn’t want to have the cops show up only to find him seconds later. Some kids wander more than others. Maybe he was one of them and his mom thought he’ll be back.

I understand that the 1980s were a different era, and that parents regularly gave children more freedom to be outdoors unsupervised.

But here's what I don't understand:

School was canceled that day because of "heavy snow," six inches according to what was recorded that day in Hazard, KY, just 30 minutes away. It was bad enough to go to school, but not bad enough to play outside? Okay, so maybe the snowfall wasn't so bad in the front yard. But this 6-year-old kid played from 11 a.m. straight to at least 4 p.m. (the last time the mom says she saw him), a full 5 hours, in "heavy snow"?

Who was he playing with? If he was with other neighborhood kids (who also would've been home because school was out), then I might understand the mother's actions better because the thinking in that time period was "strength in numbers." What could possibly happen in a large group of kids who all know each other? But the Doe Network article makes it sound like he was playing alone. For 5 hours.

What really gets me, though, is: "About 6 p.m., the mother looked outside for Kelly. She couldn't find him, so she decided to eat supper and wait for him to return" (italicized and underlined by me).

So by her own admission, she hadn't seen him in 2 hours. He'd been outside now for about 7 hours. Without food since breakfast at least 8 hours ago. In heavy snow. For the life of me, I just can't imagine calling out for my 6-year-old kid who's been outside in those conditions all day, whom I haven't actually seen in 2 hours, not finding him, and then going back in to have a warm dinner without him.

All of this put together makes me suspicious of the mother.

Last edited:
If you read up the case it says she wasn’t allowed to call and there are a few possible reasons why that are discussed earlier.
I read up on them. I'm not trying to judge. It's not like she had a reason to believe he was abducted.

I grew up in the area during that time. We were allowed outside but in my family we ate lunch and had to be in for dinner. When it was cold out with snow we didn't go out. Maybe this family is set up differently. Maybe they didn't have the food for lunch. I don't know but I do know he didn't have a regular coat. If you read the description it's more like a windbreaker if I'm remembering correctly. It would have been really cold on him. He would have had to warm up. It makes me think he was whatever happened...happened early on. There was snow that day what about foot or tire prints? I grew up (early years) in Scuddy holler which is very close to Knott county. Close enough that this is in our back yard. My father has passed but my step mother is still alive and she's never left the area. I'll see what she knows about it if anything.

I grew up in the area during that time. We were allowed outside but in my family we ate lunch and had to be in for dinner. When it was cold out with snow we didn't go out. Maybe this family is set up differently. Maybe they didn't have the food for lunch. I don't know but I do know he didn't have a regular coat. If you read the description it's more like a windbreaker if I'm remembering correctly. It would have been really cold on him. He would have had to warm up. It makes me think he was whatever happened...happened early on. There was snow that day what about foot or tire prints? I grew up (early years) in Scuddy holler which is very close to Knott county. Close enough that this is in our back yard. My father has passed but my step mother is still alive and she's never left the area. I'll see what she knows about it if anything.

I’m not from the area. I grew up in PA and there were a few really bad snow storms. If you go out when it’s still snowing it’s extra cold usually. I always went out usually when it stopped. A windbreaker wouldn’t be something you would wear unless you had 3 or 4 layers underneath it. Usually kids do have to come in, pee, get dry gloves, get food, change socks. I wasn’t sure if he had been in and out of the house or if neighbors kind of watched each other’s kids. I’d be curious to know what the neighbors said After Kelly went missing.
Thanks for posting this!

I am an ameatur search Angel on DNA Detectives group on FB, and Kelly his mother recently today infact 11/10/2020, made a claim on on this group. That Kelly's son (an unknown child) showed up on her front doorstep and had found her through DNA research. That her son is ALIVE and she is still trying to find him. Lots of people have made requests for her to clarify the post as its a bit confusing. However she has not responded to those claims. I am from KY not far from this area where all this took place. There are rumors around here that she has a slight intellectual disability and had siezures. So if this is true that may have been the reasons for not checking on him more often etc... She has been active in her posts responding to other questions but not ones to clarify her post itself. For example someone said .. do DNA on these sites... she responded that she had in fact done so. If the grandson did DNA to find her then there is some questions and clarificatons that need to be made about his conception b/c at the very least this kid was alive and grown man at the time of the sons conception. However having disappeared that young he may have forgotten his life before and been raised as another person. Its def. an interesting development to say the least. Anyone can joind DNA detectives btw so ... go check it out if your interested in her post!!

I am an ameatur search Angel on DNA Detectives group on FB, and Kelly his mother recently today infact 11/10/2020, made a claim on on this group. That Kelly's son (an unknown child) showed up on her front doorstep and had found her through DNA research. That her son is ALIVE and she is still trying to find him. Lots of people have made requests for her to clarify the post as its a bit confusing. However she has not responded to those claims. I am from KY not far from this area where all this took place. There are rumors around here that she has a slight intellectual disability and had siezures. So if this is true that may have been the reasons for not checking on him more often etc... She has been active in her posts responding to other questions but not ones to clarify her post itself. For example someone said .. do DNA on these sites... she responded that she had in fact done so. If the grandson did DNA to find her then there is some questions and clarificatons that need to be made about his conception b/c at the very least this kid was alive and grown man at the time of the sons conception. However having disappeared that young he may have forgotten his life before and been raised as another person. Its def. an interesting development to say the least. Anyone can joind DNA detectives btw so ... go check it out if your interested in her post!!

I just read her post.... wow is all I can say.

Welcome to Websleuths!

Be aware that the Terms of Service (TOS) ask for a supporting link for posts, also note that most social media is off-limits.

If you are in the area, could you qualify as a Verified Insider?

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

jmho ymmv lrr

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hollan_kelly.html

Kelly J. Hollan Jr.

Left and Center: Hollan, circa 1982;
Right: Age-progression at age 29 (circa 2004)
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: February 13, 1982 from Hindman, Kentucky
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: November 17, 1975
Height and Weight: 4'0, 60 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, blue eyes. Hollan has a scar on the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip. He may be called "Kelly Junior Holland" by some agencies.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A blue and white shirt, a blue hooded jacket with the zipper torn at the bottom, blue jeans and brown shoes.
Medical Conditions: Hollan was born with a cleft palate and has a speech problem as a result. He cannot pronounce certain words clearly.

Details of Disappearance

Hollan's school canceled classes on February 13, 1982 due to a heavy snowstorm. He stayed at home with his mother in their residence in Pine Tree Hollow in Knotts County, Kentucky (approximately 5 miles outside of Hindman, Kentucky). Hollan went outside to play in the family's front yard at approximately 11:00 a.m. His mother stated that she last checked on him at approximately 4:00 p.m. Dinner was prepared at 6:00 p.m. but Hollan's mother was unable to locate him at that time. Assuming he went elsewhere, she had dinner without him. When Hollan failed to arrive home by midnight on February 14, the day after he was last seen, the police were summoned to the residence. They initially assumed he had wandered off, perhaps to one of several abandoned mines in the area, and frozen to death. No trace of Hollan was found after an exhaustive search; he has never been seen again. Investigators now believe he was abducted.

Strange, but another crime was committed recently same little hollow Kelly was last seen at.
MOUSIE, Ky. (WYMT) - Troopers with Kentucky State Police say they were called to a shooting in the Mousie community in Knott County Sunday morning.

Troopers say a 33-year-old Bradley Mullins was found on Pine Tree Hollow in Mousie and pronounced dead by the Knott County Coroner.

The person who called in the report said an unfamiliar vehicle was parked in the driveway.

Troopers say foul play is suspected at this time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back