Found Deceased MI - Adrienne Quintal, 47, called for help, foul play possible, Honor, Benzie Co., 17 Oct 2019 #2

just a little over a football field and a half from the cabin..that's a long way to go barefoot and with snow on the ground. I think the concussion played a part. I am sorry for her and the family..may she rest in peace.
There was no snow on the ground on October 17. The temperature (given for Traverse City) that night was 47-48 degrees.

This reminded me (link below) of another story a couple hours east of there.
College student called police confused and ended up found in a few feet of water. Was colder then but still. Our waters can affect different people different ways. I was near Benzie end of October at our cabin and bf wanted to fish on the motorboat but I was freezing. Begged him out of going due to sun setting earlier and chill happening sooner.
I am more hesitant in water as I’ve been stranded on the Great Lakes before in the month of July even. In my situation we were stranded a full 12 hours during warm day but once sun set hypothermia started in from the incessant wind. Even myself being an experienced swimmer, lifeguard, and search and rescue certified diver I started to feel hopeless. Once it sets in it is hard not to feel hopeless especially if no one is around to help. And this is during a stable mind.
If she had any mental health issues or drug/alcohol influence I can imagine the feeling being intensified to a degree none of us can imagine.
Moo. I think she had an episode and wandered and hypothermia set in and things just went south.

MSU student who died on Saginaw Bay had wandered onto ice before falling into water

Last edited:
I think her family/friends had an idea this was not foul play but rather mental illness possibly caused by illegal drug use. The family was out searching for her close to the cabin - that should tell you something.
Yeah, as soon as we heard the details of what law enforcement found in that cabin, I think most of us thought the same.

I actually thought she would have made it a little further than she did, but would be in that general area.

Just glad they found her now, as I thought it might take until closer to spring.

So sad. Glad she was found. Too early to decompress but seems my first impression may have been right. If this does end up being a mental break, I hope family or potential suspects recover from unnecessary scrutiny.

yeah but even if she was running from a non-existent person, what happened when she got to the water ... she just laid down and died in 3 ft. of water?

AFAIK this water is part of the Platte. It’s really fast moving water even in its shallowest parts. IMO she got swept away at a different starting point and landed there which could also be how the dogs and LE missed her.

Published 12 hours ago
“[SBM]

The family of [Adrienne] Quintal confirmed that her body was found Saturday by a dam about 300-400 yards from the cabin where she went missing back in October.

Missing for more than two months, volunteer search and rescue teams with K9s helped to locate Quintal Saturday along with family members.

An autopsy will be done Sunday to determine the cause of death.

[SBM]”
Missing Southfield woman Adrienne Quintal found dead

10 hrs ago
“[SBM]

Benzie County Undersheriff Kyle Rosa said [Adrienne] Quintal’s family called at 1:30 p.m. Saturday to report a body had been found. It was in a flooded area within her family’s property near Honor. Rosa, a medical examiner and sheriff’s detectives recovered the body.

There were no obvious signs of trauma or foul play, Rosa said. A medical examiner will work to positively identify the body and determine a cause of death.

Rosa said Quintal’s family believes the body is hers, and he’s hopeful they’re right.

[SBM]

Land around the cabin is swampy and in parts almost impassable, making it very difficult to search, Rosa said. The body was located within the vicinity of where searchers looked before.

Rosa said the search for Quintal is suspended until the body can be identified. That could be as soon as Sunday.“
Body found near where woman went missing

I cannot stress enough the effects of firing 5 or 6 pistol rounds indoors without hearing protection. They are loud enough outdoors, but inside is absolutely deafening, and hearing would be affected for hours. There would be a loud ringing and would greatly exaggerate any disorientation or other current issues.

AFAIK this water is part of the Platte. It’s really fast moving water even in its shallowest parts. IMO she got swept away at a different starting point and landed there which could also be how the dogs and LE missed her.

No, it's the beginning of the North Branch Platte, a marsh drain essentially.
خرائط ‪Google

Platte proper is the thick one at the bottom. Her section is at the top, and meanders, splits and converges. That's where I actually expected she was, running W from the cabin. They have a trail from the other cabin to the pooled area she was found, and the leaves would make easy running. May have been an easy drive too, so FP is still on the table.
‬‏‏خرائط ‪Google

Cabin she was in is top center. Pool at bottom. Other cabin far left. I'd earlier thought the square in the water was a floating dock, but it may be the head of the tube running under Indian Hill.
‬‏‏خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Last edited:
RIP Ada, and my sincere condolances to you @cabff .

Often when the story is confusing and seemingly irrational, it is because the victim was acting irrationally. Ada should have been found much sooner and the family spared. It took great perseverance and willingness to look where clearly no one else would. I hope they get answers as to what happened.

There was no snow on the ground on October 17. The temperature (given for Traverse City) that night was 47-48 degrees.
Also, the police arrived at 2:58 am that morning... surely if she was that close she saw the lights? They were still there at daylight as shown in media photos... dozens of them. 500 ft away the whole time? Doesn't make sense. Did she fall and hit her head and drown? How could she be missed that close with all the people around and the temps not being freezing yet? How long before hypothermia sets in?

The water that's on family land less than a mile from there, and flows towards her plot, is spring fed, and bitterly cold all year. On the farm, a plate is lowered to block the tube under a foot bridge, and the water pumped to irrigate the berries. Having to reach in it is unpleasant, and falling in could easily be disorienting, esp if in an ASOC already.

Also, the police arrived at 2:58 am that morning... surely if she was that close she saw the lights? They were still there at daylight as shown in media photos... dozens of them. 500 ft away the whole time? Doesn't make sense. Did she fall and hit her head and drown? How could she be missed that close with all the people around and the temps not being freezing yet? How long before hypothermia sets in?
If Adrienne was experiencing a break from reality or paranoia and saw the lights, she might have tried even harder to hide from whomever she thought was out to get her, IMO.

Nov 09, 2019
“The friend called police, but had given authorities an incorrect address for Adrienne Quintal’s family cabin. By the time police
arrived at the right address some 40 minutes later
, they found bullet holes in the cabin’s windows, but no one inside.” (BBM)
Michigan woman told friend she’d been in shoot-out with 2 men just before she disappeared

Dec 10, 2019
“‘The search dogs were amazing,’ [Adrienne’s sister, Jenny] Bryson said Monday on Facebook. ‘Not able to cover as much area as we wanted because it’s so marshy/swampy up there.’“ (BBM)
Intense weekend search still finds no sign of missing Southfield woman Adrienne Quintal

12 hrs ago
“Benzie County Undersheriff Kyle Rosa said Quintal’s family called at 1:30 p.m. Saturday to report a body had been found. It was in a flooded area within her family’s property near Honor. Rosa, a medical examiner and sheriff’s detectives recovered the body.” (BBM)
Body found near where woman went missing

Perhaps the water was much higher around the time Adrienne went missing, and if so, maybe so she fell in while running away and drowned. MOO

I feel so sad for Adrienne and her family. Rest in peace.

ETA: Based on information released so far, I believe all of this happened very quickly. She was already deceased and in the water by the time LE arrived, IMO.

Last edited:
The water that's on family land less than a mile from there, and flows towards her plot, is spring fed, and bitterly cold all year. On the farm, a plate is lowered to block the tube under a foot bridge, and the water pumped to irrigate the berries. Having to reach in it is unpleasant, and falling in could easily be disorienting, esp if in an ASOC already.
Is this densely wooded? How could she not see the lights on inside the cabin from that distance? Heartbreaking.

Is this densely wooded? How could she not see the lights on inside the cabin from that distance? Heartbreaking.

I posted a few Google Maps, of differing perspective. The area varies from marsh to dense woods. It's unlikely she could have made a straight path to her resting place. Far more likely, trying to run in the marsh exhausted her, and when she reached the open water, was too weak to get out, and drifted to the dam/outlet where she was found. Or, ran up the 2-track straight to the water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back