Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, 31 May 2019 #4

Beagle

Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-to-his-byron-bay-hostel-20190608-p51vrb.html

Serious concerns are held for the whereabouts of a Belgian backpacker who has been missing for more than a week, after he failed to return to his hostel in Byron Bay.

Theo Hayez, 18, was reported missing on Thursday by staff at the Byron Bay WakeUp! Backpacker hostel, when they noticed he had not checked out of his room.

9c8d92cb90fb1352ef4cf290d7105d2b766906a3

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3

Last edited by a moderator:
I may get crucified for this but the chances of Theo having walked out of that bush alive are next to none. Whether he died due to misadventure, or met with foul play and was buried, he’s in there somewhere. I understand the need to track his exact movements from that night, but I don’t see how that will help locate his body, honestly. It’s not as simple as finding someone that knows something, and being pointed in the right direction. There’s been many cases in the past where police still failed to locate the body, even after they had narrowed down their search area. Theo didn’t simply vanish into thin air, he’s in there, but only time will tell if he is ever found...

I may get crucified for this but the chances of Theo having walked out of that bush alive are next to none. Whether he died due to misadventure, or met with foul play and was buried, he’s in there somewhere. I understand the need to track his exact movements from that night, but I don’t see how that will help locate his body, honestly. It’s not as simple as finding someone that knows something, and being pointed in the right direction. There’s been many cases in the past where police still failed to locate the body, even after they had narrowed down their search area. Theo didn’t simply vanish into thin air, he’s in there, but only time will tell if he is ever found...
What bush? Tracking located him leaving the trail, on the beach and up to the headland?

If his family do not believe that he went up over the cliffs and into the water, and they believe that he was in possession of his mobile phone until at least 1am, then he has to be out there somewhere.

I tend to agree with you. If Theo is not in the water, he is likely in the national park there somewhere.

And if he was with someone else (which I am not convinced of one way or the other) I don't think anyone is going to admit it.
They would need to find Theo. Then hope they can find forensics as well, after all this time.
Finding his phone and having that forensically checked would be an added bonus. imo
But I dont know how anyone is going to be pinned as actually being with Theo that night, even if they were. Unless there is a willing witness.

Definitely not going to crucify you, I think what you posted is completely relevant /

I think by tracking his exact movements it may lead to more possibilities or answers. It already has.

Even though the homeless man is not a suspect (that we know of) if they didn't get Theos data and retrace the gps locations they never would have been alerted to him walking passed that location and that person may have seen him or know something. As they have not been able to locate this man we have no idea if and what he knows.

I think the retracing footsteps helps focus on new ideas and possibilities of why he might have gone where he did.

For instance, I went and did part of his route a week ago up Tennyson and around the concrete slab and pitch.

Whilst there I located dozens and dozens metal cylinders which turned out to be Nitrous Oxide around the spot he spent a bit of time at.

Even though many do not believe Theo would have taken this stuff to me it opened up possibilities due to the side effects of these drugs and could explain his eratic and out character behaviour.

Probably is nothing but just another example of how retracing his steps might lead to other avenues.

I agree probably wont help find a body but you never know. I truly hope he is found.

Definitely not going to crucify you, I think what you posted is completely relevant /

I think by tracking his exact movements it may lead to more possibilities or answers. It already has.

Even though the homeless man is not a suspect (that we know of) if they didn't get Theos data and retrace the gps locations they never would have been alerted to him walking passed that location and that person may have seen him or know something. As they have not been able to locate this man we have no idea if and what he knows.

I think the retracing footsteps helps focus on new ideas and possibilities of why he might have gone where he did.

For instance, I went and did part of his route a week ago up Tennyson and around the concrete slab and pitch.

Whilst there I located dozens and dozens metal cylinders which turned out to be Nitrous Oxide around the spot he spent a bit of time at.

Even though many do not believe Theo would have taken this stuff to me it opened up possibilities due to the side effects of these drugs and could explain his eratic and out character behaviour.

Probably is nothing but just another example of how retracing his steps might lead to other avenues.

I agree probably wont help find a body but you never know. I truly hope he is found.

I think everyone's efforts are admirable. As you say, it may not find Theo ... or it might. But at least everyone involved, and Theo's family, can feel assured that they have done everything possible to find Theo and what happened to him that night. The inquest should reveal any other known facts - which the police will have investigated.

I, too, sincerely hope Theo is found. I'm sure that we all do.

This will be a very tough Christmas for Theo's family ... their first Christmas without him.

Last edited:
There’s nothing saying he went over the headland or to the lighthouse or into town. If he remained no further than CC his exit was either by the sea, the car park, the scrub or Tommy’s track ( where his cap may have fallen upon leaving). IMO

I don't know about anyone else, but when I consider the headland, I consider it the whole area that I have snipped here. The whole national park area.

z.JPG

Just wanted to clarify my own perspective on the headland area - as opposed to the town area. It may be similar to others perspective (or not).

Theo also may not have exited that area at all. imo
There seems to be no clues indicating that he moved on from there.

Last edited:
Arakwal National Park.

The general vicinity, really.
Really!
We already have information from the mapping data that he left the bushland as I've mentioned.
Now he must be still in the bush. Really?
Remote possibility but not definite as you seem to assume.

Really!
We already have information from the mapping data that he left the bushland as I've mentioned.

Are you speaking of the final gps point? The one 'closer to town'?

I am under the impression that it was still within the general national park area - but away from Cosy Corner. Perhaps closer to Tallow Beach Road, is my impression.
Which is why I have wondered if Theo wandered back that way, to go around and up to the lighthouse.

Last edited:
Really!

I’m not all that familiar with Byron Bay, but there seems to be an awful lot of ‘bush’ surrounding the area that Theo’s phone GPS last placed him. The mapping data that you are referring to last places him at Cosy Corner, yet he hasn’t been found, so I’m not sure how that is relevant. I believe he was on his way back to the hostel when something happened. So, if he walked to the beach via bushland, why wouldn’t he just go back the same way.

Is there anyone in this thread that has been involved in the official search? I have a bit of an out there suggestion.

Is there anyone in this thread that has been involved in the official search? I have a bit of an out there suggestion.

If you do have any information or something that you think might assist Theos family pease also reach out to them on either the FTH FB page/discussion group or you can head to the official LFTH website which has contact details there. Happy Xmas to you.

https://lookingfortheohayez.wixsite.com/theohayez

Just thinking things over...

Let’s say Theo met someone local who took him via Milne track to CC, maybe to consume purchased drugs, they may have left him there on his own at his request. Since he seems to have used GM and tried to go through lantana to get back on the track that leads back the way he came, that indicates he may have been in his own at that time, otherwise he would have been guided back by the local he met.

Theo is using his phone a lot that night, so perhaps his phone battery just dies at last ping site which is CC. So perhaps he just gets completely lost in dark trying to navigate back the way he came. Is that area big enough to get lost in for a few days and die from dehydration?

Only other options I can think of are that he got as far as the Tallows Carpark and someone dodgy offered him a lift, or, his phone did die, and he went back to someone’s house and overdosed, or person he arranged to meet near Tennyson had his car parked at Tallows Carpark, and after walking from Tennyson to CC, returned to car voluntarily or involuntarily.

All just possible scenarios to mull over.

Just thinking things over...

Let’s say Theo met someone local who took him via Milne track to CC, maybe to consume purchased drugs, they may have left him there on his own at his request. Since he seems to have used GM and tried to go through lantana to get back on the track that leads back the way he came, that indicates he may have been in his own at that time, otherwise he would have been guided back by the local he met.

Theo is using his phone a lot that night, so perhaps his phone battery just dies at last ping site which is CC. So perhaps he just gets completely lost in dark trying to navigate back the way he came. Is that area big enough to get lost in for a few days and die from dehydration?

Only other options I can think of are that he got as far as the Tallows Carpark and someone dodgy offered him a lift, or, his phone did die, and he went back to someone’s house and overdosed, or person he arranged to meet near Tennyson had his car parked at Tallows Carpark, and after walking from Tennyson to CC, returned to car voluntarily or involuntarily.

All just possible scenarios to mull over.

"Is that area big enough to get lost in for a few days and die from dehydration?"

It is yes but it would depend where.

And if he was injured or in trouble I have always assumed he would just use his phone to call or message for help. He likely would not know the Triple 0 emergency number being from OS (likely and presumption) but he knew how to google pretty well so it wouldn't be hard to look for that or Byron police or call his family to ask them to get help as last resort. All based on him being conscious of course.

He seemed far to sensible to not contact someone if he was hurt but in saying that, he may have become separated from his phone if injured?

The amount of searching that took place I would have thought he would be found TBH. If not by police, the volunteers. (even after the time had passed) (Unless he was burried)

I still hold that option he got into a car at Tallows too. Honestly, I still haven't given much thought lately what happened, each time I do I'm overwhelmed at the lack of sense all of his movements make that night.

Last edited:
So did some testing today on a few apps that I had read about from research elsewhere and with the help of TDawg explaining how they all work.

Pokemon Go and also Ingress, both apps that work on Google maps data in real-time.

In Byron Bay there were several locators and markers that followed along some of Theos route. They included Tallows beach, Milne track, Patterson St, The REC fields, Kingsley St and an area above cosy corner around the location he went into the bush,

When you look at the map you could be convinced with the possibility Theo might have been playing either of these games at the time.

Sadly when I visit CC there was nothing on either the apps making me walk up into the bush to chase anything and the same at Tennyson so IMO I do not believe he was using either these apps.

(attached map for REF)

I also walked along Tennyson and screen recorded my location comparing it to Theos map of where he walked and where I stood the blue dot was well incorrect and the blue radius circle showed me the approx location in which I would say was about 5m from where I actually was.

I can't say with any certainty with what I tested today that Theo was on the slab, in the cricket nets or under the tree where the Nitrous cylinders where. One image here I stood on the slab and it appears close on here but the other is when I stood off road nearly in house garden yet still showed me way off and location out

Because all the 3 areas are so close to each other you just cannot tell.

Attachments

• 98814513-DFBF-493A-B2C6-5C0A16CED792.png
    98814513-DFBF-493A-B2C6-5C0A16CED792.png
    722.7 KB · Views: 100
  • F397352C-A8AB-4DC1-8330-79C00111A4B3.png
    F397352C-A8AB-4DC1-8330-79C00111A4B3.png
    751.1 KB · Views: 103
  • E6C0A0AC-BA0A-493E-965D-622922308F02.png
    E6C0A0AC-BA0A-493E-965D-622922308F02.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 98
  • A6ED2FCF-C87D-4FB9-B28B-40177E79C044.png
    A6ED2FCF-C87D-4FB9-B28B-40177E79C044.png