Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #119

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no historian but do enjoy ancient cultures and religions. Has the link between the name Delphi and its Greek roots been explored in relation to the murders? Mythology of the god Apollo arises from there. Once a pagan sanctuary, it was overtaken by Christianity. Could there be symbolic meaning of the murders based on the name of the town?

very interesting. I noticed that the local youths use the allegation to the extreme. They have “the Oracle”, the “Parnassus”, etc.

Delphi has two interesting things, one, the Oracle and the Pythia, and the other, the Treasury. Basically every city state had its own treasury there.

And wasn’t “omphalos”, the navel of the world, also there?

But Apollo, the sun-god, while definitely a pagan god, was not mean. Artemis, his sister, represented several cults merged together. And in some of them, she required the young virgin as the sacrifice. (See Iphigenia in Taurus). And later, when the Greeks walked away from human sacrifices, the somber goddess still required some blood...flogging of the Spartan youths at her altar was meant to give her some.

Several more things about the ancients.
1) Agamemnon, the father of Iphigenia, was supposed to sacrifice her by hitting her in the heart (chest) with the special knife. Not because he was the father, but because as the leader of the Danaans, he was also the chief priest. So he killed her (or she was moved to Taurus, whoever believes what)

2) now that you mentioned the pagans, I would like to see the photo of the clearing where the girls were found. I traveled to Greece, to Sparta; the altar of Artemis Orthia was closed, but I managed to make the photo via the mesh. It used to be an altar, but now looks more like a clearing. Would be interesting to compare.

ETA: Artemis required Iphigenia as the sacrifice because (forgot who) killed a doe dedicated to Artemis. So she did not provide the wind to the Greeks until she’d get the virgin. She was always depicted with a doe.

Last edited:
The Oracle at Delphi.....it is a thing :) google it and read if you wish, way too much stuff to post here.

The local school sports teams are named.....the Oracles, indeed, the Delphi Oracles.

I've pondered this potential angle to these murders, glad it was brought up here. There could be more to the spiritual/religous angle than what has been considered thus far.

"Paradoxically, in male-dominated classical Greece the most influential voice, the Delphic oracle, belonged to a woman."
The Oracle of Delphi—Was She Really Stoned?

Thank you. The trail pics & videos were very helpful. What is the significance of the tree with all of the shoes hanging from it?

Not sure... I also found it intriguing. The poster of these pictures was lost in the area and I did wonder if it was near the cemetery. I found a few things on Google . Some cultures ( unable to determine which cultures) hang shoes of the deceased . Gangs hang them as a sign of turf or a place to purchase drugs. There is also a website where to find these shoe trees throughout the world. This particular tree has mostly black shoes but also a child’s pair of pink boots Possibly a local would have more information?

Thank you. The trail pics & videos were very helpful. What is the significance of the tree with all of the shoes hanging from it?

Your guess is as good as mine :)

The caption on the picture mentions a sign saying Maple Street. I googled Maple Street, Delphi IN and it's an interesting result. The nearest Maple Street that I can find is in Flora, close by, but looks rather uneventful. Then there's 570 Maple Street, in Monticello, IN, where an AA meeting is apparently held. There's also a Maple Street in W. Lafayette, IN.

Not sure what that sign and the shoes are all about. What it DOES tell me is, there likely has been, and continues to be, quite a draw to the MHB area, the woods, etc. My guess is it's a REAL party place!

The Oracle at Delphi.....it is a thing :) google it and read if you wish, way too much stuff to post here.

The local school sports teams are named.....the Oracles, indeed, the Delphi Oracles.

I've pondered this potential angle to these murders, glad it was brought up here. There could be more to the spiritual/religous angle than what has been considered thus far.

"Paradoxically, in male-dominated classical Greece the most influential voice, the Delphic oracle, belonged to a woman."
The Oracle of Delphi—Was She Really Stoned?

I was there... Ask me how it looks now, and all the rumors related to it in old times.

But - the Oracle was probably one of the things uniting the city-states into one culture, that much later came to be known as the Hellenes.

However, getting drunk and tearing people into pieces, and doing ungodly things, and not remembering the next morning would be the realm of another god, Dionysus. His cult came from the East, and was very dark. And you are right, the orgiastes were women (the Maenads), and men, too.

If we want to look at weirdness in Greek history, it would not be the Delphi. One just has to read about Olympias, the mother of Alexander the Great.

ETA: what the Pythia (priestess of Apollo) prophecized, was carefully scripted by the priests, who knew the political situation well and had many spies in Greek city-states.

However, in the scandal when Spartan king Cleomenes I bribed the Pythia, she uttered her own words. Today, the situation would be resolved by the DNA ))) (Google Cleomenes and Demaratos).

Not sure... I also found it intriguing. The poster of these pictures was lost in the area and I did wonder if it was near the cemetery. I found a few things on Google . Some cultures ( unable to determine which cultures) hang shoes of the deceased . Gangs hang them as a sign of turf or a place to purchase drugs. There is also a website where to find these shoe trees throughout the world. This particular tree has mostly black shoes but also a child’s pair of pink boots Possibly a local would have more information?

Shoe tossing - Wikipedia

Everything is here, but I found one paragraph intriguing.

“In some cultures, shoes are flung as part of a rite of passage, for example, to commemorate the end of a school year, or a forthcoming marriage. Some theories suggest the custom originated with members of the military, who are said to have thrown military boots, often painted orange or some other conspicuous color, at overhead wires as a part of a rite of passage after completing basic training or when leaving the service”.

What if the rite of passage was joining some group? To kill someone as initiation?

Then judging by who they chose, these killers are total morons and don’t need to exist... they didn’t chose GK or his girlfriend or any lowlife, no, they chose smart, young, pretty girls,

Last edited:
If that was the case I think the girl’s behaviour might have been different or changed and from what Kelsi has said in the HLN interview they were both acting normal the night before and in the car ride before she dropped them off.
Wow. February 13th, 2017.
He must have been very angry to read that article or know it was coming out. (Don and Lisa are his in-laws)

So Don and Lisa are NOT CJ's in-laws .... ;)
Looks like i misread, they myst

Death threar
I don't know if it's true but I was always told shoes hanging from a tree was a drug buy meet up spot. MOO

I think hanging shoes are pretty unclear.
MOO Shoes can mean drugs, deaths, a gang area, graduation or finishing basic, or just silliness.

Looks like i misread, they myst

Death threar

I think hanging shoes are pretty unclear.
MOO Shoes can mean drugs, deaths, a gang area, graduation or finishing basic, or just silliness.

and usually over power lines.

the lady at the end of the bridge, it's a memorial to her deceased son. when greeno did his reenactment, she asked him to not litter, not smoke, not be more than an hour and no show her special, private memorial to her son....

is this the owner of the house at the end of the bridge? Or just a passerby?

links to AwsiDooger's Delphi pics.....

the trail

the town

Now I don’t know which one is the clearing, but here is an old photo of the altar of Artemis Orthia in Sparta (with Athena’s temple nearby).

it did not look like clearing in the old times. It does, now. Lakedemon is “hollow”, not unlike Midwest on a smaller scale, a flat area in the mountains. And there is no creek nearby, but Eurotas, that used to be a full river, and now a muddy brook, is way less than half a mile from this spot.

Attachments

• BC63BC6B-FF8E-4454-96DD-C826555E62C5.jpeg
    BC63BC6B-FF8E-4454-96DD-C826555E62C5.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 41
As we now know the DNA is back in the GK5 Nicole Bowen case and has implicated one more of the existing perps in that case. This has taken 8 months. Does it now go in CODIS to be available for matching with other crimes or do posters think it would have already been checked for Abby and Libby's case?
Now that the DNA is known to be available in the the Bowen case then yes GK DNA can be compared to any crime scene DNA collected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd