Wesley Hadsell charged with murdering A.J. Hadsell

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local case for me. It was all over the news here. Many of the places in the news are places I've been to or driven past. The Chesapeake location where a search was conducted is not that far from me. So glad to see this dirtbag is finally charged.

What evidence is there that he did it?

There is a huge forum detailing the case, investigaton, indictment and the rest Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell

To give you a quick summary:
Wes admitted to LE he saw AJ the day he went missing, then concocted a cover story and planted evidence -

Two days after she went missing, Wesley Hadsell told detectives he last saw her around 12:30 p.m. March 2 at a gas station on Tidewater Drive just north of Barraud Park, where he gave her $200. But police looked at the corresponding footage from the station's surveillance cameras and found nothing.

Video footage from a 7-Eleven near Little Creek Road – between A.J. Hadsell's home and the hotel where her father was staying – shows Wesley Hadsell's Astro van going past several times throughout the day.

He left a downtown Norfolk work site about noon that day, telling a co-worker he had to meet up with his daughter. Just after 1:30 p.m., he texted his boss that he'd had to give his daughter money.

He later told police he got an alert from the security system at the family home saying the door had been opened and closed between 1:40 and 2 p.m. A few minutes later, his other stepdaughter came home and found no one else inside.

"Hadsell appears to have tried to establish the alibi that he was back at work, and had last seen Anjelica Hadsell prior to the time of her abduction and murder," a detective wrote in court documents.

Hadsell's co-worker said he came back to the job site around 2 p.m., was highly agitated, asked for the rest of the day off and left.

Two days later, his van traveled 60 miles to the outskirts of Franklin, less than a mile from the North Carolina border, and right to the ditch where A.J. Hadsell's body would be found more than a month later.

Police found a shovel, a roll of duct tape and black work gloves in the back of WH's work van which he previously stated only he had access to and drove when AJ went missing and after. They analyzed the GPS unit inside the van, which revealed it was behind an abandoned residence about 10 miles south of Franklin, near the North Carolina border, for about 20 minutes.

When detectives went there on April 9, they found the body of AJ partially buried in a ditch. The ME filed her MOD as homicidal violence.

During the search of WH's hotel room, they found ammo and a scale with heroin residue hidden in a vent (which is what he is in jail for now). AJ's phone had pinged in that hotel room shortly before it was shut off.

In July, detectives received two letters from a 48-year-old inmate at the Western Tidewater Regional Jail claiming WH confessed to him and he has details of AJs death only the killer would know.

This doc contains the probable cause which details a lot of evidence (plus what they search and seized)
Wesley Hadsell Search Warrant

There is a huge forum detailing the case, investigaton, indictment and the rest Anjelica "AJ" Hadsell

Wes admitted to LE he saw AJ the day he went missing, then concocted a cover story and planted evidence -

Two days after she went missing, Wesley Hadsell told detectives he last saw her around 12:30 p.m. March 2 at a gas station on Tidewater Drive just north of Barraud Park, where he gave her $200. But police looked at the corresponding footage from the station's surveillance cameras and found nothing.

Video footage from a 7-Eleven near Little Creek Road – between A.J. Hadsell's home and the hotel where her father was staying – shows Wesley Hadsell's Astro van going past several times throughout the day.

He left a downtown Norfolk work site about noon that day, telling a co-worker he had to meet up with his daughter. Just after 1:30 p.m., he texted his boss that he'd had to give his daughter money.

He later told police he got an alert from the security system at the family home saying the door had been opened and closed between 1:40 and 2 p.m. A few minutes later, his other stepdaughter came home and found no one else inside.

"Hadsell appears to have tried to establish the alibi that he was back at work, and had last seen Anjelica Hadsell prior to the time of her abduction and murder," a detective wrote in court documents.

Hadsell's co-worker said he came back to the job site around 2 p.m., was highly agitated, asked for the rest of the day off and left.

Two days later, his van traveled 60 miles to the outskirts of Franklin, less than a mile from the North Carolina border, and right to the ditch where A.J. Hadsell's body would be found more than a month later.

Police found a shovel, a roll of duct tape and black work gloves in the back of WH's work van which he previously stated only he had access to and drove when AJ went missing and after. They analyzed the GPS unit inside the van, which revealed it was behind an abandoned residence about 10 miles south of Franklin, near the North Carolina border, for about 20 minutes.

When detectives went there on April 9, they found the body of AJ partially buried in a ditch. The ME filed her MOD as homicidal violence.

During the search of WH's hotel room, they found ammo and a scale with heroin residue hidden in a vent (which is what he is in jail for now). AJ's phone had pinged in that hotel room shortly before it was shut off.

In July, detectives received two letters from a 48-year-old inmate at the Western Tidewater Regional Jail claiming WH confessed to him and he has details of AJs death only the killer would know.

This doc contains the probable cause which details a lot of evidence (plus what they search and seized)

Thank you, Vail, for this in-depth summary. It is excellent!

Ty do you have theory of motiv?

I believe the crimes he committed prior to AJ's death would get him more time than the few years coming for the charges of which he is likely to be convicted.

This is news to me, as I don't recall the info about this medication being mentioned before. Anyone else?

"Hadsell's defense requested a subpoena of Governor Ralph Northam because the governor served as his stepdaughter’s doctor. The judge ruled that a subpoena be issued to the governor to attend the trial as a witness.The defense said in court that Northam prescribed AJ an antidepressant, notriptyline, in January 2015 while practicing as a physician in Norfolk.The subpoena reads that AJ’s mother had previously said that AJ had no history of depression, and claims that Northam’s testimony as to why he prescribed AJ an antidepressant and his overall treatment of her is extremely relevant to the case." Accused killer of stepdaughter, Wesley Hadsell, appears in court

"The defense says Northam’s testimony about AJ’s her mental health leading up to her disappearance and death is crucial for the trial. Hadsell’s lawyers argued the anti depressants along with journal entries of AJ’s show the teen may be been suicidal. In court, the commonwealth’s attorney argued AJ’s medical records at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters show the medicine Northam prescribed at that time was for headaches, not for depression." Gov. Northam to appear at Wesley Hadsell murder trial

So typical of this wretched human being to actually blame AJ herself, even though she was buried behind a house Wes' truck GPS tracked him directly to. Suicidal people don't bury themselves and plant digital evidence on GPS devices. Unbelievable.

"The defense says Northam’s testimony about AJ’s her mental health leading up to her disappearance and death is crucial for the trial. Hadsell’s lawyers argued the anti depressants along with journal entries of AJ’s show the teen may be been suicidal. In court, the commonwealth’s attorney argued AJ’s medical records at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters show the medicine Northam prescribed at that time was for headaches, not for depression." Gov. Northam to appear at Wesley Hadsell murder trial

So typical of this wretched human being to actually blame AJ herself, even though she was buried behind a house Wes' truck GPS tracked him directly to. Suicidal people don't bury themselves and plant digital evidence on GPS devices. Unbelievable.

It doesn't surprise me that he and his lawyers are grasping at straws (it DOES make me want to punch him, though).
They can grasp all they want. Truth will out.

I can't even imagine how that conversation went. "Well yes, she was buried, but in her depression she probably just dug a little hole, and covered herself up".

If Hadsell's defense attorney actually plans to say that, or even imply it, he's just a wicked and evil as Hadsell himself.

What an idiot! AJ just happened to kill herself right behind a house where her stepdad passed on his way to work and buried HERSELF in a shallow grave. Dumb***.

The governor should be a reliable witness! He is (was a practicing) neurologist/neurosurgeon before becoming governor so this backs up that the RX for Nortriptyline was for migraines.

I can verify that antidepressants are used for headaches. I suffered from migranes for decades and along the way my neurologist went through dozens of meds, not just antidepressants, from Cafergot to Talwin to Zoloft and well, just name it and we tried it. For me the best was when Imitrex came out. Nowdays they have tablets but I had to use a pen similar to an Epipen where I jabbed my leg.

My point is that headaches, be they migraines or just severe ones are treated with all kinds of meds so the defense is gonna have a hard time trying to argue against a neurologist. And no, I never developed a hankering for heroin during all that time nor did I become suicidal so I think that particular defense is a red herring.

The truth is that Wesley caused AJ's death. I still remember the "Aha" moment I had that he had killed her when he told that woman, whose name escapes me, in a very early interview, talking about his and AJ's movements that day - "Blah blah blah, money, gas station, blah blah... and that was the last time she ever saw me."

Not "The last time I ever saw her." That just hit me in the face and made me think that the last time Wesley saw AJ she couldn't see him anymore IYKWIM.

I can verify that antidepressants are used for headaches. I suffered from migranes for decades and along the way my neurologist went through dozens of meds, not just antidepressants, from Cafergot to Talwin to Zoloft and well, just name it and we tried it. For me the best was when Imitrex came out. Nowdays they have tablets but I had to use a pen similar to an Epipen where I jabbed my leg.

My point is that headaches, be they migraines or just severe ones are treated with all kinds of meds so the defense is gonna have a hard time trying to argue against a neurologist. And no, I never developed a hankering for heroin during all that time nor did I become suicidal so I think that particular defense is a red herring.

The truth is that Wesley caused AJ's death. I still remember the "Aha" moment I had that he had killed her when he told that woman, whose name escapes me, in a very early interview, talking about his and AJ's movements that day - "Blah blah blah, money, gas station, blah blah... and that was the last time she ever saw me."

Not "The last time I ever saw her." That just hit me in the face and made me think that the last time Wesley saw AJ she couldn't see him anymore IYKWIM.
I think a lot of us shared that "ah ha" moment. It stood out in such a way it was impossible to miss what he really meant.

What could they possibly wish to prove? That she ran out of her headache medicine and went to Wes for something to take the edge off? That she was imperceptibly suicidal and asked him to euthanise her? No jury is going to buy the paper bridge they're trying to build with that.

What could they possibly wish to prove? That she ran out of her headache medicine and went to Wes for something to take the edge off? That she was imperceptibly suicidal and asked him to euthanise her? No jury is going to buy the paper bridge they're trying to build with that.

I sure hope you're right. This creep has managed for years to evade justice. Let's hope that ends with this trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77