TX - Atatiana Jefferson, 28, fatally shot at home, Fort Worth, Oct 2019 *officer charged*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@claycane

Today is Atatiana Jefferson's birthday. She would have been celebrating turning 29 years old today but was killed in her own home while playing video games with her nephew.
78436269_776539086151392_7504639774125195264_n.jpg

But in his most recent job evaluation this spring, he received high marks from a supervisor who said, "You are a young officer working at a level commonly seen from more experienced officers. Keep up the good work!" Well there ya go, they knew he should have more experience but they did nothing. There it is, it's not his fault he had to kill an innocent in her own home.

Unless this is sarcasm you are way off base. Of course he needed more experience. A pilot with 2300 hours needs more experience. What would you have his superior do? The only way to get experience is to continue to work at the same job. By your way of thinking we’d have no police officers on the street because they didn’t have enough experience.

But in his most recent job evaluation this spring, he received high marks from a supervisor who said, "You are a young officer working at a level commonly seen from more experienced officers. Keep up the good work!" Well there ya go, they knew he should have more experience but they did nothing. There it is, it's not his fault he had to kill an innocent in her own home.

Unless this is sarcasm you are way off base. Of course he needed more experience. A pilot with 2300 hours needs more experience. What would you have his superior do? The only way to obtain more experience is to continue to work at the same job.

So terrible, not only is an innocent woman murdered in cold blood after BEING IN HER HOUSE her father dies right after that. The devastation this inflicted on her family is unthinkable. If we can't trust our police not to mindlessly kill us who can we trust?

That’s rather dramatic don’t you think? The officer didn’t “mindlessly” kill this woman. He didn’t begin his shift by thinking “ I’m going to go out and kill someone tonight”.
He responded to the call in good faith just like the man across the street who called the police in good faith. The officer made a lap around the house to ensure that no criminals were breaking into the house and was then confronted at a side window by a woman holding a gun.

What would you do in that circumstance?

Unless this is sarcasm you are way off base. Of course he needed more experience. A pilot with 2300 hours needs more experience. What would you have his superior do? The only way to get experience is to continue to work at the same job. By your way of thinking we’d have no police officers on the street because they didn’t have enough experience.
But could it mean something else?

Where it says quote:

"You are a young officer working at a level commonly seen from more experienced officers. Keep up the good work!"

I take it to mean something else. That his level of professionalism, how he does his job, is comparable to the work done by more experienced officers. In other words, he is learning more quickly than the average rookie.

Do you think more experience would have taught him to not act inappropriately?

Do you think more experience would have taught him to not act inappropriately?

I doubt it. He acted the same way as you would have had you seen someone with a gun pointed at you. Look I’m not patting him on the back. It was a a bunch of separate events that all led to the unfortunate death of this woman. If you think that the officer shot her with malice then you are wrong. It’s a political case and no way in hell will twelve people agree that it’s murder.

But could it mean something else?

Where it says quote:

"You are a young officer working at a level commonly seen from more experienced officers. Keep up the good work!"

I take it to mean something else. That his level of professionalism, how he does his job, is comparable to the work done by more experienced officers. In other words, he is learning more quickly than the average rookie.

That’s exactly what it means.

I would rather faster indictments. But, if it takes a little time and we get a strong set of charges I am all for it. Thinking of Ms. Jefferson's family this season as not only is she killed but her father has also passed. Gotta wonder if the stress of her death and funeral made him more vulnerable. RIP, Ms. Jefferson. Justice is coming.

I doubt it. He acted the same way as you would have had you seen someone with a gun pointed at you. Look I’m not patting him on the back. It was a a bunch of separate events that all led to the unfortunate death of this woman. If you think that the officer shot her with malice then you are wrong. It’s a political case and no way in hell will twelve people agree that it’s murder.

If he had proper training (I believe he did) he chose to ignore his training. I do not believe he had enough experience for this type of call. I believe there were other officers there, he seemed to be the one leading. He should have been following not leading. Of course, this will/has been turned into a political issue, that’s where the true victim gets lost. As far as the jury, I think we all have come to realize there is no way to know what those 12 people will do. As for how I would act if someone was looking through my window with a gun while I was playing video games with my nephew, I think I would have run to another room and called the police. Remember the victim did not know the person looking through her window was a police officer. Aaron Dean did not identify himself as police until he was shooting her through her window.

If he had proper training (I believe he did) he chose to ignore his training. I do not believe he had enough experience for this type of call. I believe there were other officers there, he seemed to be the one leading. He should have been following not leading. Of course, this will/has been turned into a political issue, that’s where the true victim gets lost. As far as the jury, I think we all have come to realize there is no way to know what those 12 people will do. As for how I would act if someone was looking through my window with a gun while I was playing video games with my nephew, I think I would have run to another room and called the police. Remember the victim did not know the person looking through her window was a police officer. Aaron Dean did not identify himself as police until he was shooting her through her window.

This is an example where the general public believes that they are experts in all police matters and tactics. How often do you hear a discussion about the how the fire department put out a fire?

This call was actually one of the simplest and routine call that the police respond to. In a week an officer or two might respond to some variation of this call five times. Let’s say two officers get out of their cars at the same time. I assure you that they don’t turn to each other and say “let’s see...you’ve been on the department three years and me? 18 months..you better walk around the house”.

So we have established what you would do if you saw someone at your window. What I asked you is if you were a police officer called to the scene of a suspicious situation what you would do if you looked in the window and saw someone with a gun pointed at YOU?

Also what training did the officer ignore?

This is an example where the general public believes that they are experts in all police matters and tactics. How often do you hear a discussion about the how the fire department put out a fire?

This call was actually one of the simplest and routine call that the police respond to. In a week an officer or two might respond to some variation of this call five times. Let’s say two officers get out of their cars at the same time. I assure you that they don’t turn to each other and say “let’s see...you’ve been on the department three years and me? 18 months..you better walk around the house”.

So we have established what you would do if you saw someone at your window. What I asked you is if you were a police officer called to the scene of a suspicious situation what you would do if you looked in the window and saw someone with a gun pointed at YOU?

He did not identify himself; I believe that is part of their training. If I were a trained, experienced police officer going to a well-lit home I would have identified myself. There would have been no shooting if he had let the victim know who he was. He could have done that right at the beginning of approaching the opened well-lit front door. As for what would I do if I were called to the scene of a suspicious situation, I would identify myself right from the beginning as a police office. I am not insinuating I am an expert in all police matters. This dude screwed up. He did not identify himself, it’s just that simple. This young lady should not have been killed. To compare police to firefighters doesn’t make sense. Firefighters do not have to identify themselves, it’s obvious who they are and why they are there. Just to be to clear, I support Law Enforcement, my home fly’s the American flag with the blue stripe. I believe most police involved shootings are justified. Cool your jets dude, this guy is in the wrong.

I agree with most of what you are saying. However, something went wrong that the outcome of this incident did not end the same as the 5+ Similar calls a week officers receive. This is JMO but I think the difference lies in that this particular officer did not give the woman in the window (with a gun) time to respond to his commands as most officers would have done before firing and she had no way of knowing it was a police officer in her backyard. Yes we will see how this all plays out in court and what a jury rules but I think there will be evidence of negligence on the part of this officer. Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak