OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a post after he went missing by his mom - in it she tells him “he’s famous now”

I think, like many kids his age - he wanted to be a famous popular YouTube star -

I hope & pray he didn’t feel suicide was the way to accomplish that -

I saw a post after he went missing by his mom - in it she tells him “he’s famous now”

I think, like many kids his age - he wanted to be a famous popular YouTube star -

I hope & pray he didn’t feel suicide was the way to accomplish that -
I agree!!!!!
It’s almost as if parents who do this enjoy humiliating their kids. Not ok.

amateur opinion and speculation

It’s like they use their kids to either prove how super they are as a parent or ...how they are the long suffering parent.

That “LOOK AT ME” thing has really caught on in our society - it’s horrifying to me.

I thought this was worth sharing.

When Your Child Is Missing: A Family Survival Guide

It's a guide about what to do if your child goes missing, as well as the process used in finding them.

I think his family is really trying to follow these. I feel for them I really do. We all make mistakes as parents, and whether or not those mistakes have any play here, NO PARENT DESERVES THIS PAIN.

I thought this was worth sharing.

When Your Child Is Missing: A Family Survival Guide

It's a guide about what to do if your child goes missing, as well as the process used in finding them.

I think his family is really trying to follow these. I feel for them I really do. We all make mistakes as parents, and whether or not those mistakes have any play here, NO PARENT DESERVES THIS PAIN.

AGREE.

There’s no such thing as a perfect parent - I think we tend to be hyper critical as a way to self soothe ourselves in saying, “ THAT would never happen to OUR family”

There’s NOTHING I can think of that more terrifying to a parent than literally losing a child. I thought I’d go insane when I lost mine in a store for 5 minutes- Again the first time I allowed him to go trick or treating with his friends & without me and he was late & phone battery died. I called 911 and literally started babbling incoherently, my neighbor had to take the phone & talk for me.

I’m just thinking back to when I was his age...that is an age of passionate extremes. Like anger or being in love. IMO this age does not have the reasoning to plan on being gone “forever”. Everything is short term. His resources have to have run out by now so what scenarios are we left to consider?

I’m just thinking back to when I was his age...that is an age of passionate extremes. Like anger or being in love. IMO this age does not have the reasoning to plan on being gone “forever”. Everything is short term. His resources have to have run out by now so what scenarios are we left to consider?

He seems to believe he lost everything & everyone.

That’s my understanding and I’ve asked the same question. We don’t know if he had access to Xbox live, a tablet, secret accounts... most teens by 14 have TWO if they have parents that monitor them. One mom & dad knows about and another secret one.

My husband's very younger sister actually had a burn phone that she hid outside from her parents for when she got her phone taken away. She was about the same age, 14. I was shocked when I found that out because she didn't seem like the type to do that or go against her parents. She wasn't allowed to have a FaceBook account either when she was a preteen but she secretly had one of those too.

My concern is he had access to a device and streamed he was upset and someone that he had communicated with him in the past picked him up and took him. I think the he probably went willingly but now is being kept against his will. I feel he's very tuned in to his mom and her needs almost in a unhealthy way so I think that initially he was mad and upset but once he's cooled off would have come back already.

Investigators and school officials worked together to rule out whether Harley ever made it to school that Friday, searching all of their buildings and properties twice, including in the ceiling areas, dugouts, and other areas he could have hidden, said Port Clinton City Schools Superintendent Pat Adkins.

“The people behind this [effort] are not only our community members, but they are our friends and family,” he said. “We saw that with Devin when people came out in support, and people are coming out in support [now] for Harley. We fully believe Harley will return to Port Clinton, but we just have no idea where he is right now.”

This incident has been especially hard with students on break for its entirety, and that it came so closely on the heels of another tragedy — the accidental shooting death of a second-grader on Dec. 14, Mr. Adkins said. School administrators and counselors will meet Thursday to decide how to address Harley’s disappearance when students return to school on Monday.

Shannon Twining, who lives down the street from the Dilly family, said Harley would come by to pet their dogs, and that her 13-year-old daughter knew him. The family searched together in wooded areas, in other city neighborhoods, and at the library where her daughter said Harley liked to go.

“Basically, every time we go out, we are constantly heads on a swivel, looking around and making sure we don’t see him anywhere,” she said.

Ms. Twining said in the upcoming year that she plans to organize a coalition of parents willing to make sure kids make it safely to school and posted her thoughts on social media, which has played a large role in both ideas on where he might be, and on public opinion, both positive and negative.

“We are a tight-knit community, we should be looking out for each other,” she said. “If more parents get together, we can make sure no kid walks, and that every kid gets to and from school safely.”
'We are one big family:' Port Clinton rallies in effort to find missing teen

BBM
______

Port Clinton Police Department
Harley Dilly Update, Wednesday, January 1st, 2020

Good Morning Friends,

Unfortunately, we have NO new information that I am able to share with you this morning regarding Harley.

In our meeting with the family this morning, they appreciate everyone’s prayers, and thoughts over Harley’s disappearance!

Information as of December 31st, 2019;

• I would like to advise you that through the entire investigation of the disappearance of Harley Dilly, the family has fully cooperated and we have no reason to believe they are involved.

• Our investigators continue to research the records that we have been able to obtain thus far.

• The investigation is being conducted by federal, state and local law enforcement partners.

• Here’s what I need from you. I need the investigation to be allowed to continue uninterrupted.

• Please don’t spread rumors, rather, if you have information about this case, please contact the

Port Clinton Police Department (419) 734-3121

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (800) 843-5678.

• I am asking our residents to continue to help by sharing flyers in person and on social media.

• Please allow the professionals involved in this case to continue to do their job - we are working tirelessly and will continue to do so until Harley is brought home and reunited with his family.

• Briefing on this case has shifted from a daily in-person briefing to information solely provided via the Port Clinton Police Department Facebook page.

• If there is a major case announcement, we will notify the press via our Facebook page with appropriate lead time and share information about where and when the briefing will be held.

• This shift in briefing allows us to continue focusing resources on the case and should not be construed otherwise - we appreciate the community’s outpouring of support and sharing Harley’s picture and the tip line information.

We currently have the following agencies at our office or have been involved with this investigation;

Black Swamp Search & Rescue
Clermont County Sheriff's Office
Delaware County Sheriff’s Office
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Grant County Sheriff’s Office (Kentucky)
Kentucky Search Dog Association
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Ohio State Highway Patrol
Ottawa County Drug Task Force
Ottawa County Prosecutors Office
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office
Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office Underwater Rescue and Recovery Team
Port Clinton Fire and Rescue
Shawnee Hills Police Department
United States Customs and Border Protection
United States Marshals Service

Chief Hickman

In one video, titled “1st QnA Come And Join Me,” a shirtless Harley Dilly gives out his phone number and takes questions from one viewer.

“I am 12 right now, Aug. 12,” Harley says. He also refers to himself being banned from a social media site.

Harley’s mom makes video: Stop bashing my family

In another video, Harley talks about how he was charged with menacing for setting up a school mate into a fight for which he planned to sell tickets so others could watch the other boy get beat up.

Harley has been missing since Dec. 20. Port Clinton police Chief Rob Hickman initially was using the police department’s Facebook page to make announcements about their search efforts. But, late last week, he started having daily press conferences. Hickman does not take questions, however, during this daily briefings, and it’s not clear what he hopes to accomplish by having them.

Hickman has gotten some pushback after his posts at Facebook, which includes telling readers at the site early on not to search for Harley, assuring commenters at the page that police were conducting a thorough investigation.

“I have received calls and messages as to ‘Private Investigators’ working with our agency for the disappearance of Harley Dilly,” Hickman posted. “WE have asked NO Private Investigation Company to assist us with this search, they may have volunteered, however we have NOT requested their help!”

“Unless the police chief can vouch for residents of every home with a light on, he really shouldn’t be encouraging a vulnerable and small boy to knock on the doors of strangers’ houses,” one commenter replied to the chief’s suggestion. “Granted, most folks are good and helpful, but it seems a bit risky. A store or business office would be better.”
Sandusky Register

Sounds like school will be back in session soon. Perhaps the LE agencies could set up a meeting with his friends at school. Maybe just talking they could come up with leads. I now think he did reach out to someone online.
I keep thinking of the young girl in Wisconsin that was taking and held captive. She did escape. May e Harley thought at first all was good and now he is being held against his will by someone.
Prayers to all affected and involved for their safety as well as Harley's.

I hope this isn't self-harm. Or him staying home from school in order to meet up with someone he met online. Those are the two most likely scenarios in my opinion and I hate the idea of both of them.
I think there’s also a third option: That he was upset, and walked off into the woods. From there, it’s possible that he ultimately ran into trouble.

I know they searched that area, but search teams have missed people before.

My optimistic prediction is that Harley will surface by end of week.
I think his absence has been self imposed, and he will return hearty and hale.

Praying my optimism is spot on.
Amateur opinion and speculation

I think my working theories are that either he is being held against his will or that maybe he was walking on ice somewhere and fell under. When he disappeared, it was during a cold spell here. A few days afterwards it warmed up but perhaps it was cold enough for ice to form on some smaller bodies of water. Or maybe another misadventure of some sort.

Attachments

• D6D5EBF8-3B2E-4F95-8BAA-E8BD3880B54B.png
    D6D5EBF8-3B2E-4F95-8BAA-E8BD3880B54B.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 9
I think there’s also a third option: That he was upset, and walked off into the woods. From there, it’s possible that he ultimately ran into trouble.

I know they searched that area, but search teams have missed people before.
I wonder about homeless encampments in the area. Here in Seattle a while back there was a runaway from out of state,she was held at knifepoint,and sex trafficked,by a so called benevolent 'homeless' person who took her in. It's a huge problem here. LEO hands are pretty much tied, they can't do warrant checks etc. So many of these encampments are safe Havens for predators, but not for young vulnerable runaways.
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member