UID Victim: The Asian Male, UP9355, John Doe #8, poss. died 1996-2001, found Gilgo Beach Apr 2011

Where's the basis for a possible match to Asian male on OP?

So has there been any updates on Mo Zhang? His pages are down but this Unidentifieds is still up.

For what its worth, I do have a theory that Namus might be leaving one of the (mp or uid) pages up so people are unable to make the connection and protect their privacy. I wont speculate further on that unless someone is willing to throw in some more info?

So has there been any updates on Mo Zhang? His pages are down but this Unidentifieds is still up.

For what its worth, I do have a theory that Namus might be leaving one of the (mp or uid) pages up so people are unable to make the connection and protect their privacy. I wont speculate further on that unless someone is willing to throw in some more info?
Whats happening with this missing person?
Information removed?
What typically happens when names are removed from sites like the Charly Project, NAMUS, etc?
Arent they usually followed Up with a update?
Is LE keeping info close to the vest like they did in the case of Peaches?

Last edited:
Whats happening with this missing person?
Information removed?
What typically happens when names are removed from sites like the Charly Project, NAMUS, etc?
Arent they usually followed Up with a update?
Is LE keeping info close to the vest like they did in the case of Peaches?
If there is a criminal element (like murder) in a case then they keep most things secret. If not (like suicide) then they also keep it secret out of privacy and respect for the person and their family. But if they were to remove both the missing AND unidentifieds pages then its easy to make the assumption that they were the same person, so my guess is that they remove the missing persons page, but not he unidentified so people cant make that connection. If that is the case, people could be working on multiple unidentified cases that are already solved, and wasting hours and hours of time.

99% sure this is the guy, he disappeared from university and left all his belongings behind.

Possibly ran away from university whilst studying abroad, to avoid pressures, considering Doe may have been trans, as an Asian myself I can imagine the pressure in the early 90's to be gay let alone trans- especially as Koreans tend to have added pressure to be more alike as opposed to an individual. Very possible Kim ran away at age 22 to start fresh and free of a sense of duty to New York city to pursue the American dream. Furthermore, the facial features in the reconstruction do seem similar to those of a Korean decent- this is purely my opinion though haha.

You cannot deny the faces are identical. Height and age check out and considering he was studying interstate from overseas, a 14 hr drive to New York city may not have been out of the question if Wook Kim was in fact running away to explore his sexuality. Additionally remains may have been buried between 5-10 years prior anywhere between 2011 and 2001. At 2001 Kim would have been 30 years old exactly.

Anyway photos added below and submitted for review.

Would love to hear what you guys think though?!

2864UMNY_LARGE.jpg
WKim1_LARGE.jpg

WKim_LARGE.jpg

2864UMNY
4414DMWI - Wook Kim

99% sure this is the guy, he disappeared from university and left all his belongings behind.

Possibly ran away from university whilst studying abroad, to avoid pressures, considering Doe may have been trans, as an Asian myself I can imagine the pressure in the early 90's to be gay let alone trans- especially as Koreans tend to have added pressure to be more alike as opposed to an individual. Very possible Kim ran away at age 22 to start fresh and free of a sense of duty to New York city to pursue the American dream. Furthermore, the facial features in the reconstruction do seem similar to those of a Korean decent- this is purely my opinion though haha.

You cannot deny the faces are identical. Height and age check out and considering he was studying interstate from overseas, a 14 hr drive to New York city may not have been out of the question if Wook Kim was in fact running away to explore his sexuality. Additionally remains may have been buried between 5-10 years prior anywhere between 2011 and 2001. At 2001 Kim would have been 30 years old exactly.

Anyway photos added below and submitted for review.

Would love to hear what you guys think though?!

2864UMNY_LARGE.jpg
WKim1_LARGE.jpg

WKim_LARGE.jpg

2864UMNY
4414DMWI - Wook Kim
Welcome to Ws mekoshell!
Interesting suggestion, the noses look similar- could not find a thread for Wook although he has been mentioned on several different threads, just got one started..
WI - Wook Kim, 22, University of Wisconsin student from South Korea, 15 July 1993

This guy's facial features align perfectly to the facial reconstruction:

Mo Zhang
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/z/zhang_mo.html

2002636580045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

I have sized the above images so that they are comparable. If you click your mouse on Mo's photo and drag it to the right over the reconstruction, Mo's photo becomes transparent, and you can test the similarity of their facial shapes and spacing of their facial features.

ETA: I just realized that this trick only works if you are using the Mozilla Firefox browser.
That’s the man I seen in the pictures, and he said his name is Mo Zang . He was dressed in woman clothing, blouse dress right above the knees. He had a brown wig on , short with some bangs. I thought it was a woman when I got to his pictures; but he told me it’s a man. He was on a marshy beach, like a mini photo shoot but he looks confused. In the vehicle he is in motion with his hand up in front of him.

Suffolk top cop: Officials unable yet to ID 2 Gilgo victims

Some excerpts:

"Suffolk investigators trying to unravel the mystery of the Gilgo Beach killings have been unable to identify two victims or potential suspects connected to the case using the emerging technique known as genetic genealogy.

A law enforcement source familiar with the case, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the genetic material of the two victims — that of an Asian man and a toddler — had undergone some degradation, likely because of their exposure to the elements through the years, making it difficult for detectives to find new leads...

...Another problem facing investigators in the use of genetic genealogy, and which may be an issue in the Gilgo case, is that people of Asian ancestry don’t submit their DNA profiles in large number to public databases in efforts to search for relatives, Fitzpatrick said. That narrows the potential pool of genealogical avenues for police to search, she said.

Fitzpatrick explained that there are steps law enforcement can take in an attempt to work with degraded DNA.

One method, which officials said is being used to identify the Korean War dead, is known as next generation sequencing, or NGS. The technique requires specialized equipment not readily available to local police but allows experts to make electronic copies of a DNA sample and dig deep into the genome, Fitzpatrick said.

Despite the recent setback on the two unnamed victims, Hart said her team is working hard to find answers.

"We are not giving up on those two," Hart said."

That’s the man I seen in the pictures, and he said his name is Mo Zang . He was dressed in woman clothing, blouse dress right above the knees. He had a brown wig on , short with some bangs. I thought it was a woman when I got to his pictures; but he told me it’s a man. He was on a marshy beach, like a mini photo shoot but he looks confused. In the vehicle he is in motion with his hand up in front of him.
May I ask where this info was obtained? I haven't heard of this before, what pictures are you referring to? What vehicle was he in etc. etc.? TIA.

Was the rule out based on DNA? Apparently, while DNA can be used to rule out missing persons as unidentified, law enforcement also rules out possible matches at their discretion and based solely on their opinion. Meaning if a detective looked at Santiago and concluded "this is not a good match" without running the DNA for match, Santiago would be ruled out in Namus as Asian Male. Obviously a huge flaw in the Namus system. How do we know they actually ran the DNA of Santiago against Asian Male?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back