Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious if the friend called PH's phone, when the friend was leaving the bar.

When girls go out drinking together, and they ride to the club together, the driver usually makes a solid attempt to contact the friend when she is leaving. Even if she saw her walking out of the bar, it could be that she was going outside to smoke a cig or a joint, or to get some air, and it wouldn't necessarily mean she was gone and didn't need a ride home.

Did the friend text or call PH and ask if she still needed a ride?

Especially if one leaves their cigarettes and purse in that car, imo. When we went out, we'd stick our id and cash or debit in our pocket. Since you have to smoke outside, we'd leave everything else in the car, as we'd be out to smoke in it. Eta: keeping track of your crap in bar/ having it stolen sucks

Last edited:
That travel time from Birmingham to Trussville is not correct. I’m from the area. Trussville is more like 20 minutes from that part of Birmingham.

We don’t even know if the friend went home anyway, maybe she went to someone else’s house.
Being so drunk you passed out and don’t remember anything is sometimes an excuse when people don’t want to remember things, and it also sometimes really happens.
We know very little of what happened that night, I believe the family when they say the police followed some leads but they didn’t pan out (paraphrasing).
It’s hard for me to not suspect someone she knows, as it’s just so often the case.

Yeah ok, I believe that like I believe I'm skinny as a fence rail...pfft, not even close to the truth. HOW can she claim to be asleep at 12:15 when it takes anywhere from 1 hr 24 mins - 1 hr 44 mins to get to TRUSSVILLE, Al from Birmingham, Al?? was she driving in her sleep or did she leave as soon as PH left? I got the time to drive from Maps.google.com I entered in Trussville and Birmingham and it gave 3 times as there are 3 different routes.
Was it ONLY PH she was driving for? Was the friend drinking as well? If she was then she had to slow down and be more cautious so NOT to get a DUI. SO, I'm not buyin the asleep at 12:15 story, especially after going to a party. I have gone out, NOT drank or done anything, gone home and been wound for sound even after having to drive an HOUR to get home. You have to let your body settle down from party mode into hibernation mode and IDK abt y'all but I am not one that can instantly flip a switch and be "ok time for bed"
Where are you seeing the friend lived in Trussville? I assumed the friend lived close/closer to the bar probably, which would explain meeting at the friend's house and driving together. Also, if I recall correctly from visiting family in Birmingham a lot, I think your map is off. Trussville is relatively close, if I recall.

Where are you seeing the friend lived in Trussville? I assumed the friend lived closer/closer to the bar probably, which would explain meeting at the friend's house and driving together.
I was going based on where Paighton lived. I was unsure as to where the friend lived. I was just going based on PH's home location since we don't have any other info to go on. I'm not sure if the friend lived closer to the bar or not. they could have decided taking 1 car was easier than taking 2 since they were both going to the same location. A lot of people will carpool when many are all going to the same place.

We don’t even know if the friend went home anyway, maybe she went to someone else’s house.
Being so drunk you passed out and don’t remember anything is sometimes an excuse when people don’t want to remember things, and it also sometimes really happens.
We know very little of what happened that night, I believe the family when they say the police followed some leads but they didn’t pan out (paraphrasing).
It’s hard for me to not suspect someone she knows, as it’s just so often the case.
That travel time from Birmingham to Trussville is not correct. I’m from the area. Trussville is more like 20 minutes from that part of Birmingham.
I went based on what Google maps said. I'm not from the area, but that's a HUGE discrepancy based on what you are saying.

I sent the list below to all the reporters I listed, plus the two Southern_Girl recommended. Let you all know if I receive responses, thanks for all the great questions you guys!
  • Where did her phone ping all day Friday?
  • How many coworkers were at the bar Friday night?
  • What time did they actually get to the bar?
  • Was Paighton drinking alcohol that night?
  • Does BPD have Paighton’s cell phone records yet?
  • Is it unusual for Paighton to leave her car somewhere & catch a ride with someone else?
  • Is this co-worker she texted someone that she would depend on if she needed help?
  • Would love for LE to show a timeline of Paighton's known activities on during the day and night on Friday.
  • Was she at work on 12/20 and who saw her there?
  • Who was she in contact with that day and night via text/cell?
  • When was the last time her mother actually spoke to her on the phone or in person?
  • Who can confirm she actually went to Tin Roof?
  • Was she seen on video at Tin Roof or any nearby business cameras?
  • If she was there, did she eat or drink alcohol?
  • Was her debit card found inside Tin Roof or in the parking lot?
  • Does Paighton have a significant other?
  • Did she text anyone else mentioning feeling in trouble?
  • When did her phone go silent?
  • Was her car at the coworkers home the next day? Who picked it up and when?
  • Has the car been processed?
  • Have any of her possessions been found? Coat, phone, purse, wallet, credit cards, etc?
  • Why hasn’t LE organized any searches for her?
  • Did anyone outside of the co-workers see Paighton at the bar or leaving the bar?
  • Has Paighton ever used Uber or Lyft? Does she have an account with either?
  • Has anyone ever offered to pay for Paighton's Uber or Lyft ride?
  • On the morning after Paighton went missing did the friend/co-worker contact Paighton’s family or did some of her family members contact the friend/co-worker to inquire of Paighton’s whereabouts?
  • Why hasn't anyone interviewed or talked to the coworker/friend that reported PH missing to her parents?
  • Why didn't the friend report PH missing on her own since she was with her and saw her leave and was the one that received the text message?
  • Have any of her friends stepped up to talk about her?
  • What exactly did Sergeant Johnny Williams say about the video?
  • Is the friend /co worker male or female?
  • Did this friend or coworker normally have contact with Paighton's mother. Or how did she/he know Mom's contact info?

The information about debit card being found in the bar as well as the information that the friend fell asleep before seeing the text are hearsay as far as I know.

If anyone has verified this, please let me know. Until then, both those pieces of information are pure speculation in my book. Moo

MSM from today saying police unable to find the two heavy set men in surveillance video. Do they not exist and something else is going on?
B’ham Police: Surveillance video in Paighton Houston case does not show 2 men she reportedly left with

ETA the way it’s stated, there are no heavyset black men in the surveillance video from that night. Is that how you all read it?

The only “update” today, on this Dec 27 article, seems to be the headline.
I feel like bad journalism is going on.
But I would emphasize this:
BBM
Officers believe Houston willingly left the Tin Roof bar with two heavy set black men on Friday, December 20, based on information provided in the missing persons report.

Anyone care to attempt to post up the facts relative to this case? I'm not being a smarty pants, I'm just not sure I personally can say I have any actual facts to put out there for folks who come to this thread.

All the so called 'facts' that came out early on are, IMHO, in question.....meaning, she was at the bar, she had a fight, she left with 2 black guys, she texted a desperate message......all these things, IMHO are now in question as to their accuracy, unless positive proof, of which I am unaware, is available otherwise.
^^sbm

Bringing forward my earlier post of MSM verified information and questions which I think still applicable -- with the exception of latest 12/31/19 update from LE that video surveillance viewed thus far does not depict two men matching the description given by workmate.

Nobody is saying these two men do not exist but only that they were not captured on video. There's also no MSM confirmation that PH was captured on surveillance video.

Outlining previously linked MSM info below and questions in italics.

Thread is peppered with unverified info so if it's not listed below it likely came from social media/FB which cannot be verified and therefore not allowed to be discussed here. Please don't respond to this post and/or questions with information from social media.
  • Reportedly, PH left her car at a workmate's home and rode with her to the Tin Roof bar to meet additional friends from work -- number in her party is unknown.
  • What time did PH and her friends arrived at the bar?
  • The live music allegedly started around 10:30 pm.
  • Around 10:45 pm, PH was allegedly seen from across the room leaving the bar willingly with two unknown men.
  • [Per 12/31/19 update by LE, this sighting of PH leaving the bar with two unidentified men was by PH's workmate that later received a text message from PH. At this time, LE also stated that surveillance video viewed thus far failed to depict any men meeting the description provided by friend].
  • How long had PH been at the bar when she left?
  • Was PH drinking/intoxicated when she left the bar?
  • Was the workmate drinking/intoxicated?
  • Did any other friends see her leave?
  • Where did they think she was going?
  • Smoke break?
Some media reporting PH left with two strangers. Did this come from LE or did media assume the men were strangers? [12/31/19 update - the men were said strangers by the workmate].
  • Around 12:15 AM, PH sent a SOS text to workmate that she earlier rode with to the bar.
  • Where did PH send the text from?
  • Who was she with at 12:15 AM?
  • Was PH still with the two men when she texted her workmate?
  • Was she alone?
  • Other than putting her workmate on notice about a possible future phone call, there are no reports that PH phoned her friend for help.
  • We don't know exactly when anybody first attempted to phone PH except that calls went straight to voicemail.
  • We know that there's been no activity with her bank account but don't know if PH had any money with her when she disappeared.
  • LinkedIn provides PH is employed at a very established family trucking company.
  • Was PH subject to random employee drug testing at her job?
  • Where did PH live? [ According to statements by mother, it's now believed PH lived with her parents].
  • Was PH in a relationship?
  • Had PH ever disappeared before and under what circumstances?
  • It was cited by Christ Health Center that heroin addiction brought PH to the brink of death from a severe case of endocarditis and sepsis sometime 2018, and doctors told her parents to prepare for the worst. PH stated “I was in a very bad place and had long since lost hope that I was worthy of love or ‘healing.”
  • There's no evidence that PH was using or has ever relapsed since 2018.
ETA: Sorry about format -- looks ok until saved. :eek:

Last edited:
MSM from today saying police unable to find the two heavy set men in surveillance video. Do they not exist and something else is going on?
B’ham Police: Surveillance video in Paighton Houston case does not show 2 men she reportedly left with

ETA the way it’s stated, there are no heavyset black men in the surveillance video from that night. Is that how you all read it?
Yes. Apparently no men matching that description were spotted on video.

So they either were there and somehow managed to avoid being spotted on camera, or they don’t exist in the first place.

I’m leaning towards the latter, but that’s without knowledge of the surveillance setup at the bar.

From what we know right now, either scenario is possible.

perhaps I made a mistake during the look up but I was pretty sure I had both cities in there. I didn't put addresses in for anything

I put in the the “Tin Roof” to “Trussville”.
Maybe just putting in “Birmingham” put you on the other side of the city, and maybe you searched at rush hour?
I’m just taking a wild guess how that could happen.

This is awesome. Thanks for doing this!
I sent the list below to all the reporters I listed, plus the two Southern_Girl recommended. Let you all know if I receive responses, thanks for all the great questions you guys!
  • Where did her phone ping all day Friday?
  • How many coworkers were at the bar Friday night?
  • What time did they actually get to the bar?
  • Was Paighton drinking alcohol that night?
  • Does BPD have Paighton’s cell phone records yet?
  • Is it unusual for Paighton to leave her car somewhere & catch a ride with someone else?
  • Is this co-worker she texted someone that she would depend on if she needed help?
  • Would love for LE to show a timeline of Paighton's known activities on during the day and night on Friday.
  • Was she at work on 12/20 and who saw her there?
  • Who was she in contact with that day and night via text/cell?
  • When was the last time her mother actually spoke to her on the phone or in person?
  • Who can confirm she actually went to Tin Roof?
  • Was she seen on video at Tin Roof or any nearby business cameras?
  • If she was there, did she eat or drink alcohol?
  • Was her debit card found inside Tin Roof or in the parking lot?
  • Does Paighton have a significant other?
  • Did she text anyone else mentioning feeling in trouble?
  • When did her phone go silent?
  • Was her car at the coworkers home the next day? Who picked it up and when?
  • Has the car been processed?
  • Have any of her possessions been found? Coat, phone, purse, wallet, credit cards, etc?
  • Why hasn’t LE organized any searches for her?
  • Did anyone outside of the co-workers see Paighton at the bar or leaving the bar?
  • Has Paighton ever used Uber or Lyft? Does she have an account with either?
  • Has anyone ever offered to pay for Paighton's Uber or Lyft ride?
  • On the morning after Paighton went missing did the friend/co-worker contact Paighton’s family or did some of her family members contact the friend/co-worker to inquire of Paighton’s whereabouts?
  • Why hasn't anyone interviewed or talked to the coworker/friend that reported PH missing to her parents?
  • Why didn't the friend report PH missing on her own since she was with her and saw her leave and was the one that received the text message?
  • Have any of her friends stepped up to talk about her?
  • What exactly did Sergeant Johnny Williams say about the video?
  • Is the friend /co worker male or female?
  • Did this friend or coworker normally have contact with Paighton's mother. Or how did she/he know Mom's contact info?

(snipped by Carbuff)
Some media reporting PH left with two strangers.​
Did this come from LE or did media assume the men were
strangers? [12/31/19 update - the men were said strangers by the workmate].

They could be strangers to the workmate but known to PH, though.

The only “update” today, on this Dec 27 article, seems to be the headline.
I feel like bad journalism is going on.
But I would emphasize this:
BBM
Officers believe Houston willingly left the Tin Roof bar with two heavy set black men on Friday, December 20, based on information provided in the missing persons report.
And that’s why this is all up in the air. Law enforcement believes (or is saying they believe) that she left with these two men, as that’s what was relayed to them in the missing persons report.

It isn’t their investigation telling them that, but information from a third party.

As for the journalism, I suppose it’s hard when LE isn’t communicating anything. Apparently there haven’t been any leaks either, which is a good thing.

As frustrating as that is to us.

I put in the the “Tin Roof” to “Trussville”.
Maybe just putting in “Birmingham” put you on the other side of the city, and maybe you searched at rush hour?
I’m just taking a wild guess how that could happen.
When I put Tin Roof Bar in Birmingham to Trussville in my GPS, it says it’s a 20 minute drive/17 mile trip, FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998