Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Coroner Bill Yates says the testing will take 2-4 days but the final report won’t be ready for 4-6 weeks.”

Coroner: Paighton Houston’s cause of death is pending after autopsy

The microscopic examination of tissues takes approximately 2 days for completeness. The toxicology report 4-6 weeks.
In an autopsy there is a gross examination. This is where the pathologist describes body, weighs organs, looks for any type of injury, etc. The microscopic examination is just what is sounds like. Slices of tissue are examined under a microscope.

MOO but I feel like COD will be based on toxicology reports since they already released the body.

Amateur speculation
I don't think this news really means anything. The corpse was old, so results might not be clear cut. Being as PH did have a drug problem at one time, it only makes sense that the coroner would wait for toxicology tests. For instance, say a body has a bullet hole in the head. It would be easy to say that's how the person died, but what if you run toxicology tests and a month later you find the person had enough cocaine in them to kill an elephant? Now the question becomes a little more complicated. Kind of an extreme example, but you get what I'm saying.

I don't think this news really means anything. The corpse was old, so results might not be clear cut. Being as PH did have a drug problem at one time, it only makes sense that the coroner would wait for toxicology tests. For instance, say a body has a bullet hole in the head. It would be easy to say that's how the person died, but what if you run toxicology tests and a month later you find the person had enough cocaine in them to kill an elephant? Now the question becomes a little more complicated. Kind of an extreme example, but you get what I'm saying.
True, also are you referring to a certain celebrity death?

I didn’t do a program, but after realizing that what I would have portrayed at the time as recreational, was actually something i relied heavily on daily, I knew stopping was my only option. The withdrawals were brief yet horrendous. The recovery was long and solemn. It was well over a year before I even started to feel normal. The stigma took years to wear away. What I can tell you from personal experience is that avoiding at all cost, places and people who you knew in that life is paramount. I won’t say that going out is never a possibility, or that you never truly recover. I could set on top of a mountain of my drug of choice today, and never waiver. I have no desire. If anything sobriety led me in the total opposite direction. Today I don’t drink or smoke or partake in anything stronger than an aspirin. To live with a clear head has become my drug. Total normalcy is my stability. I will say, that a year in, or 2,3, and maybe even 4 would have been too soon for me to have been in that environment. I can also tell you that with or without a program, those who make it understand that total divorce of the elements of their addiction however long it takes, is all that will get you to your next sober day.
Yes! I am 6+ years out. I finally moved 8+ hours away & stayed there for years & never speak to those ppl. Never will again either. I do know the reality. Its a very DRASTIC and expensive measure for some, however. Solemn is a very good description of the process, pain would be too lol I wont even entertain the idea I could sit on a mountain of it and be unphased, that is very dangerous thinking, for me anyway, probably for most.

I choose not to go to parties or bars, which means my circle of friends is almost nil 6+ years out. I cannot imagine not socializing more in my 20's. So IMOO, Paighton did have a long road ahead but it does sound like she was on her way to being clean, if she wasn't already. I believe she wanted that anyway. In my experience, relapse was part of getting to the "sober forever" part but moving away for a long time & ending all contact w/ those ppl was paramount. You are correct there.

If relapse and OD happend in this case I want to know it was not used as a weapon against Paighton or in defense of their actions whoever they are.

Also, Paughton was so much more than this. I think that is important for ppl to understand. Not that I knew her but I do. She is all of us. And she was dearly loved.

I agree 100% rickcross! LE needs to do everything right regardless of whether it was an OD (because people may be charged for various things) or outright murder (because people will be charged.) Advising the public is probably not even on their To Do List. The family and the DA are the only people they need to inform before everything is complete. But dang it sure is a long wait.

So, it has not been mentioned then if any of her personal items have been found? A common pattern I’ve seen is perp’s throwing stuff along the side of the road, sometimes within a couple miles of the disposal site, but they easily could have also dumped stuff in a dumpster, off a bridge...did they leave any of her personal items at the recovery site..

They took the time to conceal/bury her. They didn’t want her found, or at least anytime soon. This obviously means someone has something to hide. This could be because they supplied the drugs, or because they killed her intentionally. I’ll be anxiously awaiting the test results, with everyone else.

Her poor family.

Last edited:
Did autopsy give approximate date of death? If that could have been addressed in the autopsy report but wasn't, it should raise serious question about B'ham LE. If the approximate date of death was after 12/20-12/21, I think kidnapping/murder is most probable. I'm no expert, but from from my limited knowledge it seems that the state-of-the-art is advanced enough to be pretty accurate on a deceased body. It seems like this is a critical data point and they should have brought in an expert if they were not competent enough in this to do it themselves.

Does anyone know if Paighton smoked cigarettes? Do they allow smoking in the bar, or does one have to walk outside?

I think you will be eating your words when the autopsy comes out. I highly doubt that there will be drugs in her system
Simple fact, it is not a crime for someone to overdose at your house. If it happens, do you call 911 or grab a shovel? Its easy to take the fact that she once had issues, and try to blame her death on that, but it is also lazy.
The people involved in this aren't very bright. The only reason arrests haven't been made is because there are several people involved, and LE wants evidence on ALL those people before they arrest any of them.
Simple fact #2, somebody told LE where that body was. That person had to be one of the people involved. I believe they know the entire story and are working on evidence to prove it.
All MOO
Even if no drugs show up in her system, that wouldn't mean she wasn't lured out of the bar with the promise of getting high that night....just saying....

Hello brand new to Websleuths, lurked quite a bit but just joined today. I thought I could add a little value to the conversation.

<modsnip: Sorry Jlay22, but rumor/hearsay is not allowed at Websleuths>

Welcome to Websleuths Jlay22!

I remember my very first post ( 7 years ago) was removed because I transgressed the TOS!

Don’t be put off by the fact your post was snipped.....you’ll soon get the hang of it.

The moderators here do a good job & the rules regarding ( for example) rumour/hearsay are what sets Websleuths apart from other online forums.

The sheriff’s office added, “On Thursday January 2, 2020 information developed by investigators working the missing persons case of 29 year old Paighton Houston led them to a home on Chapel Drive in Hueytown. Investigators from the Birmingham Police Department, Trussville Police Department, Jefferson County Sheriff Office and Hueytown Police Department worked together to narrow down the possible location of the body of Paighton Houston. On January 3, 2020, Investigators executed a search warrant at the home and located human remains on the property. Those remains were transported to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office and later identified as the remains of Paighton Houston. The examination is not complete and there has been no determination of the manner and cause of death. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing this investigation and prosecution will be through the Bessemer Division of Jefferson County.”

Paighton Houston Found Dead: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

If no one was killed (you yourself said it was "attempted murder" which would imply no one was dead) how could they charge them with murder?
That's what I was wondering too! This guy shot at a couple missed, a sheriff lived in the are, heard the shot, persued and caught him. But, his charges are 2 different murders and a shooting complaint. Very strange.

ETA Here's the story, you'll have to look him up at JCO to see his actual charges Shooting suspect quickly nabbed after police chief hears shots, jumps into action

Ok, so the latest news may make it seem more likely that there was possible drug use. (Although we can't determine for sure.) So that is leading me to some practical questions. Can you fine folks help me make a list of possible reasons someone NOT guilty of harming PH, would go the effort of moving her body then burying her?

I'd like feedback of both why a friend would do this, or why a stranger would do this. It just seems very extreme, when people who OD are saved ever day by having emergency medication administered. I feel that there is still a huge piece of the puzzle missing. Seems that it won't be simply a relapse/OD.

I asked everyone in my family how they would react if they were with a friend who OD, or partying with a stranger who OD. Not one could think of any scenario in which they would bury the victim.

All I see is a statement made by her mother not unlike the statement made by her friend that she willingly left the bar with the two men. Wherein lies the difference that websleuths believe one but not the other? Is it because the media has put the mother in front of cameras and not the friend or is it because one makes us feel good and one makes us feel bad?

At least for some here, other sources of info can be a factor, even though they can't be discussed here. Some of that going on. At that point, mom was merely repeating what she'd been told.

I get what you are saying but there shouldn't be any withholding of info on the death certificate itself. Federal and local laws have specific guidelines for information and release of death certificates. A death certificate must still be completed with notation of any findings but if specific COD is not found it will be marked as "pending investigation" and the DC will be amended later with official COD. There can be no burial or cremation without a DC so the family will receive it shortly. If there was nothing found at autopsy it will say that but if one were to have any type of finding it would be listed now. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86