OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The date of his disappearance, Friday 12/20, troubles me. Typically, kids cut class, ditch school, take off the day before Christmas break--not much tends to be going on. Teachers are lax about absentees, especially because this was a Friday--families want to get the jump on traffic, etc. HS kids are excited for holiday breaks because of the impending freedom in the air. HD/someone else could have gotten hold of alcohol or drugs, which HD could have used. Not being used to imbibing, etc., and being a small, lightweight person, he could have overdone it or worse. Teens panic in those situations. If no teens in his HS have fessed up, I think HD may have been victimized by someone he met online who lied about his intent.

A user mentioned the police chief had potentially dealt in nefarious activity in the past.
Has anyone came across any articles [WS appropriate; non-blogs, etc.) expanding on this?Nothing has been mentioned on HD’s mother’s employment, correct?
I’d like to easily discard the theory of Harley staying put at home until the mother left in order for HD to engage in an activity.

I'm not sure what you are referencing about the police chief. I may have links to MSM but I'm not sure what you are asking.

Nothing in MSM about Harley's moms employment.

I rarely answer calls from my kids schools because they call me up to twice a day, times two kids. Any time they are even tardy to a class you get a robo-call. I could completely understand not answering these. I usually just let them go to VM and delete them (after checking of course)

ETA they do a morning call and afternoon call.

BBM:

As an aside, that sort of constant notification does sound quite excessive.
Is the school forced to do this to ward off helicopter parents?
Good Grief.
I can see where this could easily lead to a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" situation, which would be unfortunate.
Schools should really re-evaluate that practice.

Anyway, to my real question:

If one of your kids headed off to school complaining of feeling sick that morning, would you still let a call from the school go to V/M, or would you pick up?

I honestly don't know many parents who wouldn't be keeping at least half an eye on their phones for a potential distress call under those circumstances.

JMO.

Last edited:

Dec. 20

According to a post from his mother, 14-year-old Harley Dilly was last seen at Port Clinton High School at 3 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 20. He was wearing a maroon puffer jacket. She described him as 4 feet, 9 inches tall and 101 pounds in weight.

Police later stated that Harley was last seen around 7 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 20.

The timeline was not accurate at first. Harley did not come home from school/no phone/he was not reported missing until the next evening.

BBM:

As an aside, that sort of constant notification does sound quite excessive.
Is the school forced to do this to ward off helicopter parents?
Good Grief.
I can see where this could easily lead to a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" situation, which would be unfortunate.
Schools should really re-evaluate that practice.

Anyway, to my real question:

If one of your kids headed off to school complaining of feeling sick that morning, would you still let a call from the school go to V/M, or would you pick up?

I honestly don't know many parents who wouldn't be keeping at least half an eye on their phones for a potential distress call under those circumstances.

JMO.

I agree, this sounds so excessive! That would drive me nuts! I homeschool my kids, so I don’t know if this is normal practice. I have never heard of it before. My first thought was, “It would drive me crazy to be aware of their every move,” and then I realized how ridiculous that sounds...since I homeschool, and am basically aware of their every move.

I agree, this sounds so excessive! That would drive me nuts! I homeschool my kids, so I don’t know if this is normal practice. I have never heard of it before. My first thought was, “It would drive me crazy to be aware of their every move,” and then I realized how ridiculous that sounds...since I homeschool, and am basically aware of their every move.
Previous cases exactly like this one are exactly why many schools have these systems. If my kids did not show up for school I would get a call from an actual person in an hour or so asking what the reason was. They were always out for legit reasons. I could also check online through Parent Portal any time.

Previous cases exactly like this one are exactly why many schools have these systems. If my kids did not show up for school I would get a call from an actual person in an hour or so asking what the reason was. They were always out for legit reasons. I could also check online through Parent Portal any time.

I understand if they didn’t show up at all. But if they’re tardy for a class?

I rarely answer calls from my kids schools because they call me up to twice a day, times two kids. Any time they are even tardy to a class you get a robo-call. I could completely understand not answering these. I usually just let them go to VM and delete them (after checking of course)

ETA they do a morning call and afternoon call.

Do your kids go to Harley's school? Do we know if Harley's school does this?Because it evidently creates a situation where the parents won't answer calls when it is important. That is awful.

There is a reason schools call home to check on absent students. It’s for the child’s protection as well as to ensure that parents are aware if students are playing hooky (especially for older students in high school). I can absolutely and totally understand missing a call as I work and don’t sit by my phone constantly. Now what I can’t get as a parent is seeing the missed call at some point from the school and not returning the call. Or at least questioning what the heck that call would be about and start to worry. Moo

Fellow homeschooler here. I feel ya. We are pretty protective, but we let them be boys.
Mine are young though and I'm not sure how I'll be handling it when the teens come.

I'M VERY AFRAID.

Do your kids go to Harley's school? Do we know if Harley's school does this?Because it evidently creates a situation where the parents won't answer calls when it is important. That is awful.

I agree completely.

It's not just awful, it's dumb.

It completely desensitizes parents.
They become inured to the school's calls.

A call from your kid's school during their school day should provoke a sense of urgency, not lead parents to say to themselves, "Ho-hum, looks like he's late to class again, I'll have to talk to him about that later on" and ignore the school's ringtone.

JMO.

No, I am in Michigan. However, I do wish they would differentiate between if it was a tardy or an absence. It does make it more of a nuisance and 'noise'. To another posters point, there is always the parent portal I can log in to if I need to confirm, but usually I just text my daughters and they let me know what class they were late to.

I think that with all the mandatory lock down and evacuation drills that are now in place in schools many parents have become numb to these robo calls etc. Although times have changed in recent years and this is all fairly new to schools and parents I still feel parents know when their kids are not feeling well and would be cognizant when to be on high alert.

With that being said, I’m having a feeling that HD may have had many calls home from school because of behavioral issues.

Don’t kill the messenger here but maybe HD’s mom was so used to these calls home she just avoided them. I am a special educator and this is very much the case in many instances.

No, I am in Michigan. However, I do wish they would differentiate between if it was a tardy or an absence. It does make it more of a nuisance and 'noise'. To another posters point, there is always the parent portal I can log in to if I need to confirm, but usually I just text my daughters and they let me know what class they were late to.

If I'm understanding correctly, I originally thought that what you meant was you get a call if your child either is absent altogether, or is late arriving to school (tardy). But now it seems you are saying that you get a call if your child is late for ANY class throughout the day? Is that correct? I have never heard of this! What teacher has the time to report every late student of every class to the office, and what office staff has time to call every parent of every student who is late arriving to class? Something is weird here lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean