The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
from The Rules: Etiquette & Information :

FREEDOM OF SPEECH

While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. WS is based in the United States, but is not an agency of the Federal or any State government - so the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution and similar State amendments regarding your right to free speech DO NOT APPLY HERE.

Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed.

Posts and comments intended to incite conflict between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited.

WS Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, and delete any content found posted on this website.

Websleuths does not condone gossip, rumors, or bullying, yet the last umpteen pages in the previous two threads have exhibited vicious bullying of Meghan Markle, combined with wild speculation based on no known facts.

Threads #12 and #13 will remain closed until there is time for a full review. They may or may not reopen.

Last edited:
Please continue discussion here.

NOTE: Thread 12 and Thread 13 have been pulled for review. It is doubtful they will be reinstated but that will be up to Tricia.

Discussion of the recent news that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be stepping down as senior royals and relocating to North America resulted in nothing other than arguing between some members trashing MM and/or the couple, and other members trying to defend them.

These threads are not for bickering, gossiping or a bullying, rag-mag style of discussion. Eleven reasonably light-hearted threads ran relatively smoothly with very few hiccups, but the arguing that has started up over the announcement of the decision made by PH and MM has become excessive and is absolutely not Websleuths' style.

Like politics, religion, etc, the arguing over some issues can become quite venomous at times. Until Tricia has a chance to weigh in, please do not discuss the recent news in these threads. Such posts will be removed and if someone persists in bringing these issues back to the fore and causing more disruption in the thread, the thread will be closed.

Royals who actually work for a living
Royals with day jobs

Prince William, UK: helicopter pilot

The Duke of Cambridge used to have a day job. Instead of resting on his royal name, he became the first royal in the line of succession ever hold a civilian contract. He then took up a job as a helicopter pilot in the East Anglian Air Ambulance, where it was thought that his annual salary was $52,500 (£40,000)
Princess Eugenie, UK: company director
Princess Beatrice’s newly-married younger sister Eugenie has had a few jobs over the years. The princess worked for online auction house Paddle8 in New York from 2013 until 2015.
After she was headhunted while working at Paddle8, Eugenie joined the ranks of Mayfair-based gallery Hauser & Wirth as an associate director in the summer of 2015. Her hard work and determination hasn’t gone unnoticed as she was promoted to director in 2017, and it is said to be “well deserved”.
Zara Tindall née Phillips, UK: equestrian rider

Zara also designs her own range of equestrian clothing for Musto Outdoor Clothing.Daughter to Anne, the UK’s Princess Royal, you may recognise Zara from the British equestrian team as she competed at the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008 and London 2012.
Peter Phillips, UK: managing director

Like his sister Zara, Peter is no stranger to having a “day job”, and tried his hand working at a few different companies. After graduating from college, he worked for Jaguar as corporate hospitality manager and then for WilliamsF1 racing as sponsorship accounts manager. In 2005, he became a manager at the Royal Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh, but Peter has held the position of managing director at sports management company SEL UK since 2012.

Viscount Linley, 2nd Earl of Snowdon, UK: furniture maker and company chairman
Up until 2012, the Queen's nephew and Princess Margaret's son David Albert Charles Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon, ran his own high-end furniture and interior design business under the brand name Linley before selling it to the heir of a yachting family
Royals who actually work for a living | lovemoney.com
Prince Harry, UK: army captain to charity founder?

Harry had a day job. For 10 years he worked in the British Army, completing two tours of Afghanistan, where he was eventually made captain. He also launched the Invictus Games for injured military personnel in 2014.However, the royal is set to take it one step further. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced that they are stepping back from their roles as 'senior' royals of the British royal family in a bid to become "financially independent". It is unlikely that the Duchess will return to her former profession of acting to make her way, and the couple have annouced their intention to launch a new charity. It has been noted that the couple have trademarked "Sussex Royal" which could cover a range of goods and services including magazines, posters, greeting cards and clothing

I'm not sure I'd want to be in the Middle East right now either, but I'm sure his flight will avoid the dodgy areas!

The Sultan of Oman was, by all accounts, a great leader and a good man. It is apparently a beautiful and safe place to visit, because of the work the Sultan has done over the decades.

Did Queen Elizabeth get paid for repairing vehicles during the war?

William and Harry certainly are brave. Driving an air ambulance has to be incredibly dangerous. After all, the injured are in the most dangerous area.

I did not realize Harry served ten years? <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not realize Harry served ten years? <modsnip>

Military service is not all unbreakable stalwart men and women. There can be considerable mental damage and "fragility".

One of Harry's great pals, 37 year-old Jules Roberts a disabled veteran who had a wonderful charity, Walking with the Wounded, and assisted Harry in training for his South Pole trek for this charity committed suicide Aug 5, 2019. Harry is reported to have been devastated.

Please never ever forget damage is not weakness. It is not a personal failure or fragility. It is trauma, it is real, and it can have devastating consequences that don't have to have overt symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Military service is not all unbreakable stalwart men and women. There can be considerable mental damage and "fragility".

One of Harry's great pals, 37 year-old Jules Roberts a disabled veteran who had a wonderful charity, Walking with the Wounded, and assisted Harry in training for his South Pole trek for this charity committed suicide Aug 5, 2019. Harry is reported to have been devastated.

Please never ever forget damage is not frailty or weakness. It is trauma and it can have devastating consequences.
<bbm>

Needed more than the "Like" button. Thank you Herat.

This was quite possibly a tipping point for Harry.

Hoping for some more positive royal news in the next few days, some clarity.

This was quite possibly a tipping point for Harry.

Hoping for some more positive royal news in the next few days, some clarity.

Yes, the tragic loss of a friend by suicide makes one realize how short life can be. Makes one question everything sometimes.

In a way, these talks, and the future is an opportunity. The BRF have weathered decades of history in my lifetime, and centuries as an institution.

Hoping for some good news and clarity, too, CoverMeCagney.

I’m having good vibes about Prince Charles. I think he’ll be a levelheaded and a calming voice for his family.

Yes, the tragic loss of a friend by suicide makes one realize how short life can be. Makes one question everything sometimes.

In a way, these talks, and the future is an opportunity. The BRF have weathered decades of history in my lifetime, and centuries as an institution.

I’m having good vibes about Prince Charles. I think he’ll be a levelheaded and a calming voice for his family.
Yes, I once despised him

Through consistency and quiet hard work he and Camilla have won back my admiration for their duty and their unfailing support and apparent good humor with The Queen and Prince Philip, and his stalwart support of ecologically sound practices. His video about the Duchy of Cornwall is an eye-opener.

I think with Prince Charles, what you see is what you get.

It looks like Beatrice may have to scale down her wedding and may not get the same kind of press coverage her sister did, in part, because of her father’s scandal.

Big details about Princess Beatrice’s wedding confirmed by broadcasters

i haven’t read the article yet, but I feel badly for Beatrice if she does end up having a lower-key wedding than Eugenie due to the fallout around PA and his antics. But then I remember all the $$$ paid out for unneeded security for Eugenie’s wedding too, so I really don’t know how to feel about it.

Charles is 72 this year, he's been waiting a long time to do the job he was born to do. I hope he'll be remembered for being the "eco" king. He is to be admired for his forethought and commitment to that, if nothing else.

In other news, I have just been reading that when Charles was a baby, the family lived in Malta for a bit (military).

On November 20, 1949 – the second wedding anniversary of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh – the young princess flew to Malta to join her husband who was then serving in the Mediterranean Fleet. She spent her first Christmas on the island and lived at Villa Guardamangia, Pietà, with the Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma, Prince Philip’s uncle and aunt.

Imagine the future Queen not spending Christmas at the palace. I bet Twitter went wild...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288