ID ID - Connie Johnson (still missing), 76, & dog, Ace (found safe), Fog Mountain, 2 Oct 2018

It's fall again , beautiful time of year. Still think of Connie and her family and her best bud often. Prayers for you all. Just had to stop in here,we won't forget you Lady !

I sure hope Ace is doing ok. I'm betting Connie would want the best for him.

As far as I know Ace is still with the family that I reported had him last. I can’t believe it’s been a year. I haven’t heard anything more from her daughter but I also haven’t had the chance to ask. We’ve all been busy in our lives. Next time I see her I will have to ask

As far as I know Ace is still with the family that I reported had him last. I can’t believe it’s been a year. I haven’t heard anything more from her daughter but I also haven’t had the chance to ask. We’ve all been busy in our lives. Next time I see her I will have to ask
I do think of Connie often, and had hoped she'd be found. Hoping her daughter and family are doing well! And Ace, of course :)

• Missing Since: 10/02/2018
  • Missing From: Idaho County, Idaho
  • Classification: Lost/Injured Missing
  • Date of Birth: 12/11/1941 (77)
  • Height and Weight: 5'7, 140 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Johnson's ears are pierced. She may use the last name Saylor.
Details of Disappearance
Johnson was last seen at Big Rock Base Camp in Idaho County, Idaho, fourteen miles from the town of Powell, on October 2, 2018.

She worked as a camp cook for Richie Outfitters, which organizes hunting trips in the Montana and Idaho wilderness. The place she disappeared from is only accessible on foot or by horseback. She had previously worked as a wilderness ranger for the U.S. Forest Service, and her friends stated had good survival skills and 25 years of wilderness experience.

She was last seen when the hunters left the camp. The next day, October 3, the hunters had radio contact with Johnson, but were unable to understand what she was saying. She has never been heard from again. When the hunters returned to the campsite on October 5, Johnson and her border collie, named Ace, were both gone. She had left her jacket behind on a table, lying on top of her gun.

The search for Johnson was called off on October 16. Three weeks later, Ace was found wandering alone at the Moose Creek ranger station, about fifteen miles from the campsite Johnson disappeared from. Although underweight, the dog was in good health. A photo of Ace is posted with this case summary. There was no sign of Johnson.

Johnson's daughter, who lives out of state, does not believe her mother's disappearance was intentional. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Idaho County Sheriff's Office 208-983-1100
Source Information

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    241.9 KB · Views: 16
I don't particularly think foul play was involved in this disappearance.

For starters, the woman was 77 years old. Many things can happen at that age: for example, a heart attack or a stroke, susceptibility to broken bones. Also, I'm tired of hearing "[the disappeared] had good survival skills and experience". It doesn't matter: people really underestimate how hostile the wilderness can be, how easy it can be to become lost after veering off a trail even by just a little and dying from hunger and exposure.

I think it's much more plausible that she may have been walking around in the vicinity of the campsite and suffered a stroke, or perhaps injured herself (breaking a bone, for example), and succumbed to the elements. And before people point out that the area was searched, I'd like counter that searches in the wilderness can very easily miss what they're looking for, just because of how dense the undergrowth can be and how plant matter can impede visibility.

I think of her too. Haven’t gotten to see or speak to her daughter in a while since covid.
Hi there, when you do get to speak to Connie's daughter please tell her there are lots of us here at WS thinking of her Mom and keeping them in our prayers.
Am reassured that Connie left this Earth in the place she loved and enjoyed so much. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back