Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've been able to find on forensic medicine sites: In layman's terms, the pace and progression of dying depends on the severity of the compression, whether only chest, or only abdomen, or both are compressed, and pre-existing state of health of the victim. Inability to draw a breath causes pace of heartbeat to increase, and changes start to occur in hemodynamics (blood moving through vessels), incl. rupture.

Poor Harley. Really hope he did not suffer long.

I was expecting dehydration as COD unless he was stuck so tight where he couldn't wiggle or squirm. I'd think with oxygen deficiency by compression, he would have succumbed much sooner than 6-7 hours. Not sure about "compression" but I know that your brain starts dying from lack of oxygen in about 5 minutes if suffocated.
Exactly, that 6-7 hours is throwing me off.

Have you guys seen this video. I think it shows his personality. It sure does show that he admits he's a handful but he like owns it. He also says don't let things get you down. Well, as much as this little guy wanted to be a YouTube star I think he'd be loving all the views and attention he's getting now. Unfortunately due to bad circumstances. I guess the sheriff nailed it early on that he though something happened to Harley by misadventure.

April 19th Vlog
•Apr 19, 2018

I've been looking for videos from his YouTube (after they deleted his profile).. thanks for posting!

The roof pitch on that old house is extreme. It is very, very steep. It was extremely risky for Harley to try to reach the chimney. If the roof is made from slate (crumbling slate at its old age), that was even more risky.
View attachment 225885
I believe the temperature was 18 that morning . I think steep and slippery.

Just found out about our precious boy,Harley :( Harley rest in Peace ,sweet one. Whatever it was that had you at such a bad place, you're free now. Fly high sweetheart. I didn't know you but I loved you in less than 24 hours. So many people came to love you the same way,in a short time :( My heart weeps for what you went through in your short life.I pray you didn't suffer when you ascended to the other angels. Prayers for all those that loved you!!

JMO
Until we get time of death, I dont think we can really assume he died quickly or not.

Because lets suppose he managed to get one foot or a hand onto something that helped him keep his body from going further down into a tighter place but then eventually over time he couldnt hold on any longer and finally had to let go which caused him to slide further down and eventually died of the compression.

So until we get an estimated Time of Death I dont think we can safely say this was a quick death or not. Even when autopsy is back I am not sure how accurate they can get the TOD.
Yeah I'm not assuming anything, just going off of the MSM report that quoted 6-7 hours. Seems awfully long.

So the police didn't search an abandoned house that was right there opposite Harley's house? Because there was no sign of forced entry? That's such a poor excuse. Kids are small and sneaky.
The cops cannot break into a locked home because a 14 yr old has been reported missing, or perhaps a runaway. They repeatedly asked everyone to search their properties.

They looked at the exterior of this home and found no signs that anyone had been trying to enter the home. Should they have climbed on the roof and looked inside the chimney? Maybe. IDK.

The child would have been deceased already, even if they had done so. Sad but true. :(

Last edited:
Sorry, I have to disagree on the grounds that "Harley would have been clever enough to have found another way"; of the classic teen boy-ism: the family stories where "remember the time that Bobby thought he could toboggan off the second floor roof? Broke both arms when he landed; and after we got him doctored up, we asked him what he was thinking when he came up with this plan. He said:

'I don't know. It seemed like a good idea at the time'"

In my experience, it's practically the clarion call of teenage-boy passage.
All you have to do is watch Ridiculousness to realize that guys (and not just teenage boys) don't always think before doing something. And, yes, some girls/women do, too, but just watch the show, YouTube, news, etc and it's pretty obvious that dumb/dangerous things are overwhelmingly doe by males.

Reactions: TRB
I stayed up late last night and went to bed early this morning but did not sleep well. "No body found" was the news so I thought that there was a chance that Harley was still alive. I feared the worst and hoped for the best. A month ago, I never heard about Harley until the news went national. I did get to know him after viewing his many videos and SM postings. Such a sweet kid gone too soon. Children are taught that Santa comes down the chimney but do children get taught about the dangers of chimneys as they grow older? The correct address of the house is 507 Fulton Street. My earlier comment had the wrong house. Once a posting is 60 minutes old, it cannot be edited. That is the message that showed up as a pop up. I did report my error but error is still up. Sorry for the errors.

I stayed up very very late last night watching the live videos and waiting for some kind of news. When I realized nothing was going to come out, I finally fell asleep.

I watched the presser earlier and everything in my soul hurts.

I have teen boys. Specifically, I have a 13 year old who makes bad decisions and who you could say has behavioral issues. Watching Harley's videos was so eye opening.

I will not cast blame or judgment.....but I hope and pray my son never ever loses sight of how very much I love him.

I ran errands today and as I'm walking out the door of a clothing store, there is a maroon puffer jacket on the rack. Then as I drove out of the parking lot, someone is crossing the street with the same jacket.

As much as I'm very good at keeping a wall up against these cases, sometimes it leaks into your personal life and it haunts you.

I just want to thank each and every one of you personally....it takes a very special person to read these cases day in and day out and want to help, even at your own emotional detriment.

This case hit me because it made me realize that I would have a 14 year old child and niece, but they passed before they even got a chance to live. I had a miscarriage and my niece passed at 3 days old. (Trisomy 13 baby) What hits me hardest is the fact that the year my niece was born...it was Dec 20 I was talking to her Mom and she told me "this is your baby to" she was born the next day and we found out all the health issues and she passed just before Christmas. I was asking those two Angels to look over HD the entire time and now, he has joined them. It's crushing in a way, but knowing that he is in a place where he doesn't have the anxiety and fears he was showing in videos. That is one thing that helps through the cases, always look at the positives to the negatives. (IMO)

If that house was on so many peoples radar why didn't someone just break in to check. I would have accepted minor charges with extenuating circs, would have got a slapped wrist and maybe a fine.
Why didn't LEO Check it. Leave no stone unturned. I just don't get it. The excuse doesn't wash with me. Not when you have a missing endangered CHILD. Plus Chief made blatently clear Do Not Tresspass. Like you will get his boot up your Behind if you do. So I understand the public,and volunteers not doing that. Even though many obviously wanted to. But were forbiden from doing so.
MOO

You are skirting the issue. What if Harley had been tied up to the wall and his mouth taped shut? Do you think he could have died of starvation?

While I disagree with some of your frustrations, we do know that the way some of these searches progress is based on protocol and likely scenarios. Harley's death may (and many would argue, should) cause a review of how LE approaches searches when an abandoned building appears secure. You are right he could have been placed in a basement or other area of the home because the interior was not searched-- in this case, it seems that his jacket and glasses were on the 2nd floor not visible to people walking around the outside of the home.

Much of how protocol is determined is by a "post-mortem" of tragic events. Columbine, Sandy Hook, mine accidents, trains where breaks failed, etc have been analyzed with the idea that it is possible to create procedures that prevent tragedies and mitigate damage from tragedies when they are unavoidable. It is interesting to think that there may be ways of warning /capping/ developing mechanisms that prohibit people from entering a chimney. Additionally, I would think that new procedures will be created to examine "abandoned" or unoccupied homes within a range from the person's last known sighting. We have had children accidentally fall into unsecured septic tanks, wells, etc and be found (tragically after they passed) because we all including LE look down rather than looking up. Harley's case is a perfect reminder to look up.

Get him microchipped, too! ;) (I have a 16 y/o boy and an 18 y/o girl that are pretty good kids, but I still sometimes would like to have them microchipped!)
not microchipped, that only helps if they are found, you need to implant a tracking device. I have considered that on both of my kids and they are home bodies. I have worked for Animal Control, my animals are Microchipped, so if they get lost they can be returned, but if my kids wander off, I wanna be able to pull up an app and see a flashing dot and see exactly where they are....ok so I'm a paranoid parent and individual.

Get him microchipped, too! ;) (I have a 16 y/o boy and an 18 y/o girl that are pretty good kids, but I still sometimes would like to have them microchipped!)

I will say that it was the major independence milestones---- bus alone, extended school trips, driving alone---that made me panic. However, dropping my child off at a college across numerous states while reading WS about the number of young men missing after drinking near water and young women raped/abducted/killed that made we want a microchip, even though I know it would never happen. One of my kids has always been cautious and measured but one of my other ones is absolutely reckless. We can talk, plan, send article links, and try to bubble wrap any way we can but the truth is that sometimes tragic things happen despite our best attempts. But, I could be on board with tracking devices and microchipping for a couple of more minutes of restful sleep.

Off topic. Chipping children. Remember the flip side, that same technology to give you peace of mind, can & would be used (hacked) by undesirables than mean your children harm.

I recently heard a college student refer to their mother as a “smother”. It did make me laugh a little.

not microchipped, that only helps if they are found, you need to implant a tracking device. I have considered that on both of my kids and they are home bodies. I have worked for Animal Control, my animals are Microchipped, so if they get lost they can be returned, but if my kids wander off, I wanna be able to pull up an app and see a flashing dot and see exactly where they are....ok so I'm a paranoid parent and individual.

My daughter started college the fall that Heather Graham disappeared and I was a wreck as I observed the case of Ms. Graham's disappearance from afar. I feared and grieved along with so many others when the videos of her movements that night were made public, her body was discovered, and the connection to other disappearances and attacks was determined.

So, tracking device insertion in upon departure to Kindergarten and removal upon college graduation.

Unfortunately, as shown in that case and this, tragic accidents and other violations can occur very quickly, help is not always immediately available, and there is no such thing as 100% safe.

I think I end up posting something similar in most cases of missing kids. There has never been a safer time to be a kid in America.

Perception doesn’t come remotely close to reflecting the reality. We are more connected and informed than we have ever been. We are merely exposed to more stories of missing kids now.

Here’s a summary from a few different articles, and a couple of those articles. It’s about 5 years old, but nothing has changed.

Contrary to popular belief, kids in America are way safer than they've been in decades

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...afer-time-to-be-a-kid-in-america/?arc404=true

It's Incredible How Much Safer America Has Become Since The 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member