FL FL - Detra McGuire, 23, Lake City, 2 Nov 1988

Hey thanks for the questions! I will try to answer them as best as I possibly can. I am waiting on some important updates from the sheriffs office regarding this case, so I may reserve some answers till I can get some confirmations from them. Also, I am hoping to score more reports from the CCSO to have some of these questions answered.

What I know based on CCSO's findings and from their Crimestoppers site, Detra was last seen leaving the Gatorwood Apartments on 11/2/88. From what I gathered, Elara lived with Detra and her children at the apartment complex, not far from Detra's parents (in fact I think they lived next door). I am not sure why Elara would wait so long to report her missing. Maybe perhaps he figured she went to a friend's house? Perhaps they got into an argument before she left, which he may have taken as "she needed some time alone"? I hope future reports can detail some of this. Also, I lived in Lake City for nearly a decade, so I have some in-depth knowledge on geo locations in the area.

To answer the question about the distance from the McGuire residence to the I-10 discovery point, it is roughly 15-20 minutes from each other. The Gatorwood Apartments, now known as something else, is off Lake City Avenue, which is about 2 miles west of I-75. Because Roshanda was found on the westbound section of I-10 between the two Lake City exits, my theory suggests the vehicle was in downtown Lake City, likely in the Five Points neighborhood or Historic Downtown Lake City. Exit 303 takes you into Five Points, whereas Exit 301 takes you into Main Street/Louisiana Avenue. By Roshanda's body being found WB, thats the only option. Technically, there is a third way into Lake City from I-10; but its a long shot that the car came from there. That would be the on-ramp that is near the Baker County line, about 10 miles from downtown Lake City.

But the thing is that she was running to the store. Some reports suggest she was running errands. Either way, she went somewhere and never came back. When Elara's car was found in Ellisville some time later, CCSO did check for prints and other things, but Detra's belongings were still in the car. Ellisville is about 15 minutes south of Lake City if you take I-75. It also lies off U.S. 41. It is still not known publicly if there was labwork done on the car, but I assume there was considering that the vehicle was connected to a homicide. There is still quite a bit of information the CCSO is keeping close to the vest for now.

As to where she went, where she shopped, I couldn't tell you. That would probably be a question for a family member that was close to her. The family has refused to be a part of any of these efforts to solve this case. According to an individual that knows the family, her parents are still extremely heartbroken over this case and that they don't want to relive any of this. To a point, I have respected their decisions on this; however CCSO has always been helpful regarding any questions I had on this case.

Now to why I have also included the named POI I mention in TCCF (CL). I spoke to a woman from Five Points that knew both Detra and CL. According to her, Detra may have had a side fling with CL, and CL had known members of Detra's family. I can't confirm this, but I did submit this tip to CCSO so they could look into it. Based on my research, CL was arrested for murder in 1989 for the murder of his very young girlfriend and her brother. According to the affidavit I read regarding this murder, CL was known to date younger women and was especially known to date married women. The person I spoke with confirmed this, and that one time, he was nearly murdered by the husband of a woman he was fooling around with.

What also struck was the fact that he had also been arrested for murder when he was young. If he could murder someone in his teens, then murder this woman and her brother, whose to say Detra didn't have an affair with CL and that for some reason she and her daughter were murdered by this mad man? Because of the information I gathered, and even though its "suspicion", I still think CL can't be ruled out unless the CCSO has dug deeper into this. I do know CL has a son with the same initials and that he too has a record. But I don't think he would have anything to do with this.

Sorry if I am all over the place with this. I haven't read the reports in some time and have personally been trying to take a break from all things True Crime for a bit lol.

Personally, I still consider Elara Murphy a person of interest, as well as CL.

Thank you for you answers. I just want to unraffle this case. I had also some kind of "melt down".....needed to get away some time from the sadness of this cases. My thing is....how come that the missing persons report (dispatcher) date/time doesn't fit with some other dates....Was there any proof she ever left to run errands....(seen in store, errands in car) Everybody can say anything....how many cases are around that a mostly a male spouse said....ohhh she just left (with another man etc.) and police took that for real.....

I am deeply saddened by this case. They found her car with her belongings in it so she thought she would be right back if she left with someone. The car was running well?

I am deeply saddened by this case. They found her car with her belongings in it so she thought she would be right back if she left with someone. The car was running well?

Also I noticed there were 2 murders around the same time of young black women. Its disturbing they dont have more information on these murders also. One was Laverne Mack 04/88 whose body was dumped in the woods in 1988 and Pamela Gamble 11/88 whose body was found on CR 131 battered and assaulted and wrapped in a blanket in 1988. Also in 1990 there was another murder of Nancye Jenkins whose body had blunt force trauma. A lot of murders in such a small time period

I doubt this case newly entered into Namus is Detra, given the distance between where her car was found and Miami and the lack of clothing match. Just throwing it into the mix as it seems some FL police are reviewing/entering old UID cases. Those more familiar with Detra's case may want to take a look.
FL - FL - Miami - BlkFem/Oth/Uncert, 30-55, UP64267 in a field Apr '89

Also I noticed there were 2 murders around the same time of young black women. Its disturbing they dont have more information on these murders also. One was Laverne Mack 04/88 whose body was dumped in the woods in 1988 and Pamela Gamble 11/88 whose body was found on CR 131 battered and assaulted and wrapped in a blanket in 1988. Also in 1990 there was another murder of Nancye Jenkins whose body had blunt force trauma. A lot of murders in such a small time period

Yes it is very interesting how Laverne and Pamela's cases happened within a close time span of the Mcguire murder/abduction. I've been doing more research on this case, and for the first time got access to the newspapers from the time. It appears that former Lake City councilman and current Charter Review Committee member, Glenel Bowden, lost faith in the sheriffs office a month after the McGuire incident and requested that FDLE look into the cases. He accused Sheriff Tom Tramell of "systematic racism" essentially; but Sheriff Tramell rejected that claim. This was from the December 15th, 1988 edition of the Lake City Reporter.

Right now, I am considering plans to meet with Mr. Bowden to discuss this letter later this year. I follow him on Facebook, and hes been pretty focused on the current political climate; but when things cool down, I want to pick his brain on this.

I am finally here, now that I have time, to go over some things that I discovered on this case, thanks to the local newspapers. Because the information I am about to present is public information, there will be some name drops here. Also, I think its very imperative for the Lake City locals to understand the crime that occurred over thirty years ago; as more people are forgetting about it.

With that said, last week after getting off work, I drove to the Florida Gateway College library; where they possess the microfilm for the Lake City Reporter. I began to do some digging, going back to the November 3rd, 1988 edition. There, it discussed the discovery of an unidentified girl that was found on I-10. She was located about a mile East of the Lake City/White Springs exit by a truck driver named Aaron Dale Stokes of Lake Butler. He worked for the LJ Kennedy Trucking company and was heading to New York State for an assignment.

Though at the time Mr. Stokes was unavailable for comment, his daughter discussed the events to the Reporter. She stated that her father told her the body was still warm and that initially he thought it was a dog and ended up swerving the truck around it. He had also checked for a pulse; but there was none. Another truck driver named George Champion of Maxville, FL also pulled over and was able to get to a phone at the Munchies gas station off the highway. When Florida Highway Patrol and the Columbia County Sheriffs Office got there, it was sometime before 9:30pm. The road had been closed down for most of the night while investigators pieced everything together.

What was discovered was that there were two pools of blood about a dozen feet apart on the Eastbound section of I-10. The girl had been found bleeding from the face and that she was wearing a pink sweater, green t-shirt and pink corduroy pants.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next day's edition of the Lake City Reporter declared that the search was on for Detra McGuire, the child's mother (who at this point, the child's name was Roshanda McGuire). It appears very early into this investigation, Detra was not considered a suspect in this case. Based on information from the police reports and the news paper, there appeared to be signs of foul play early on.

It wasn't until days later that her car was found at the L&G Truck Stop around 11:30pm that Friday in Ellisville, Florida (in the southern part of Columbia County, just 15 miles south of Lake City). It was a 1988 black Nissan Sentra. The paper identified it as Detra's, until an article the next week posted a photograph of the car with baby booties hanging from the rear-view mirror, revealing the car to belong to Elara Murphy, Detra's boyfriend.

It was also revealed that Detra lived at the Gatorwood Apartments, which is off U.S. 90 on the west side of Lake City. She was 5'7" and weighed about 135 lbs. The paper also stated shed was wearing a grey sweatshirt, jeans and bedroom slippers when she left with Roshanda on her ill-fated trip.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When the paper came out releasing a photo of the car, it was revealed Elara Murphy was the owner of the car and had been living with Detra at the Gatorwood Apartments. He did not know where she was, nor what had happened to the baby when she was thrown out of the vehicle the night Mr. Stokes found Roshanda. Then after that, there was no more real coverage about the case in the newspaper until about a month later, when Lake City Councilman Glenel Bowden began to raise questions about how the sheriffs office was handling the cases involving African American missing and murdered in the county. Detra and Roshanda's case was one of a few cases that occurred in 1988 that hit the African American community. The others involved:

* Lavern Mack, a 26 year old woman who went missing in August 1987. Her skeletal remains were recovered near I-10 in April 1988. It was determined she died from homicidal violence.

* Leroy Mills, a 72 year old man, was reported missing in March of 1988. His wallet was found in a dumpster the day after he was reported missing. I am still unsure of the status of the investigation; however, I will attempt contact with the Lake City Police Department soon.

* Pamela Gamble's body was found near Bunn Road and Tustenugee road by the I-75 overpass in August of 1988.

Of the cases mentioned, the McGuire case and those of Mack and Gamble are STILL unsolved. As mentioned, I'll attempt an update on the Mills case later.

Glenel Bowden wrote a letter to the FDLE, asking for them to investigate the cases. He accused the CCSO of not paying attention to the situation, and then accused Sheriff Tom Tramel of implementing "systematic racism". Though Sheriff Tramel vehemently denied any kind of system playing, the FDLE decided to get involved. However....After the paper publicized the political discussion concerning the cases, that's where the discussions ended in the paper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PERSONAL THOUGHTS: I am happy to be able to publish additional information to this case. Its been a case I've followed for a long time. I know the family of Ms. McGuire have been very adamant about wanting to forget this case, but unfortunately, forgetting this case means no justice for her or the baby. It's a rare event that I don't honor the wishes of the family; but in this case I've made heavy exceptions with no regrets.

I personally think someone knows what happened and what led up to the events of this case. I think they still live in Columbia County and walk among us. Detra would be in her fifties today if she was still alive. I am also aware that she had another daughter who is still living in Lake City.

Based on what I've read over the years, her boyfriend has never been labeled a person of interest in this case. And there haven't been further leads. But I've always been asking myself: Is there a reason, other than grief, why the McGuire's don't want to see justice in her case? Do they know who did it? Big questions I've always asked myself.

BREAKING: I was slipped this by a friend who is making a podcast series on her case. He told me to do whatever with this.

Looks like Elara has been a really big person of interest. He failed his polygraph in 1988, days after the MP report was made.

upload_2020-8-20_18-27-56.jpeg

Thanks to a friend who is helping me with further research in Detra’s case, we have uncovered a new photo of Detra. This was from her high school year book from 1986. She’s going to get justice, both her and Baby Ro!

Attachments

• B2CC5032-5E9A-4E1A-B5EB-C81A8DB15BAE.jpeg
    B2CC5032-5E9A-4E1A-B5EB-C81A8DB15BAE.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks to a friend who is helping me with further research in Detra’s case, we have uncovered a new photo of Detra. This was from her high school year book from 1986. She’s going to get justice, both her and Baby Ro!

Thank you so much for still working on this case! (and for the additional picture) The little one and Detra need justice! It's about time.

Detra Renvictoria McGuire – The Charley Project

Last updated February 8, 2021; picture added, details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Detra was last seen leaving her residence at Gatorwood Apartments off Huntsboro Street in Lake City, Florida, en route to the store, at 7:00 p.m. on November 2, 1988. She disappeared with her two-year-old daughter, Roshanda McGuire. They lived with Detra's other child and her boyfriend in the same apartment building as Detra's parents.

A few minutes after 9:00 p.m. that same day, Roshanda's body was found lying in the road on eastbound Interstate 10 between Highway 441 and Highway 41. She had road rash, bruises, scratches and abrasions, her neck was broken, her head was bleeding, and she had no pulse. She was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. A photo of Roshanda is posted with this case summary.

Detra's vehicle, a black 1988 Nissan Sentra with the Florida license plate number 729-AWC, was later found abandoned at Ellisville Truck Stop in Columbia County, Florida. There was no sign of her at the scene.

No one has ever been charged in Roshanda's death, but authorities stated her mother was not a suspect. Her boyfriend is a person of interest in Detra and Roshanda's cases. He took a polygraph several days after Roshanda's death, and failed it. He has not been charged in her case, however. Detra's disappearance and Roshanda's murder remain unsolved.

I have a few things that I have been questioning while reading this thread. Either 2 people were involved, (one driving the car and one who threw the child from the car) or possibly Detra herself threw the baby. If Detra knew that she was in some sort of trouble, maybe she thought Roshanda had a better chance of survival. I'm just speculating as a mother. Or Detra was the driver and a passenger threw the child out to scare Detra into submission. Maybe Detra had already been harmed and the perpetrator didn't know what to do with the baby. Now that my brain is thinking of alternate theories of events, my mind is spiraling.

Still wondering if this case could be related, but the question is in what way?

Crime Stoppers of Columbia County

Project Cold Case Database

Laverne Mack

Web_Mack,%20Laverne.JPG

On April 7, 1988, the skeletal remains of 26-year-old Laverne Mack were found on eastbound I-10 in Columbia County, Florida. Her body was dumped in the woods. The victim was last seen alive on Center Street in Lake City, Florida.

On 4/17/1988, Human remains were found in a wooded area of US 441 and Interstate 10. The remains were later identified as that of Laverne Mack. Laverne had been reported missing on 08/11/1987 by Lake City Police Department. There was not enough evidence to determine the cause of death and after several interviews, no suspects were able to be identified. Anyone who has any information about this case, the identity, or location of the suspect(s) is asked to contact the Columbia County Sheriff`s Office at 386-752-9212.

Bumping for Detra and Roshanda. Baby girl found dead on the highway, allegedly thrown out of a car. Where is Detra? I just can't believe she did this to her baby Roshanda and left on her own accord.

I’ve read the entire thread but not the attachments. A few thoughts come to mind.

If Mom was headed out to do errands, why was she still wearing slippers? Did she normally wear them out to do things?

Mom took the 2 y/o but not the other child. How old was the other child? Older as in too rambunctious to deal with in a store? Old enough to remember domestic violence? Younger as in an infant who required constant care? Who stayed with the other child? Or was the other child with the Gparents?

Is the boyfriend the bio Dad to one or both kids? Did he resent the kids being there?

Maybe Moms family has been threatened to not look into their daughters whereabouts. I wonder how much they helped with child rearing.

If the boyfriend was involved, he had to have had an accomplice, to get back home after leaving the car at the truck stop. While his car was missing, did he use her car? How did he get around, go to work, etc.

If the child was tossed out a window of that car, maybe her DNA was on the window ledge. In November, it would have been chilly after dark. I wouldn’t think anyone would normally be riding around with their windows open.

I’ve read the entire thread but not the attachments. A few thoughts come to mind.

If Mom was headed out to do errands, why was she still wearing slippers? Did she normally wear them out to do things?

Mom took the 2 y/o but not the other child. How old was the other child? Older as in too rambunctious to deal with in a store? Old enough to remember domestic violence? Younger as in an infant who required constant care? Who stayed with the other child? Or was the other child with the Gparents?

Is the boyfriend the bio Dad to one or both kids? Did he resent the kids being there?

Maybe Moms family has been threatened to not look into their daughters whereabouts. I wonder how much they helped with child rearing.

If the boyfriend was involved, he had to have had an accomplice, to get back home after leaving the car at the truck stop. While his car was missing, did he use her car? How did he get around, go to work, etc.

If the child was tossed out a window of that car, maybe her DNA was on the window ledge. In November, it would have been chilly after dark. I wouldn’t think anyone would normally be riding around with their windows open.

Hey PayrollNerd! I can definitely answer all those question, but give me a few hours. Driving up to Columbia, SC. It’s a pretty interesting case. Bit of Hope posted a link to a podcast that John Lordan came out with, with assistance from myself and friend Gwen, and it should help with those answers until I get back. I may be able to add a little more.

I’m not sure what Detra’s wardrobe habits were; however, what is interesting is that based on reports I have on this case, the clothing has varied. One report indicated that she got into a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of shoes to get comfortable in prior to stepping out. Because of this, I take the clothing portion with a grain of salt.

So the other daughter was 7 years old at the time of her disappearance from what I remember. She actually went to the county fair that night with Detra’s sister. I don’t know what happened after the fair, but it could be assumed she was likely with the grandparents or staying with her aunt.

Is the boyfriend the bio Dad to one or both kids?

He is not the biological father. A man named Fred was. At the time of Detra’s disappearance, he was serving in the US Army in Panama. And as far as I know, there were no hostilities between the kids and the boyfriend. But that doesn’t mean that there wasn’t. There very well could have been some tension. There was speculation in the FDLE reports that Detra was considering leaving the boyfriend because of the fact that he couldn’t hold down a job or help with bills. There was also some violence noted between Detra and the boyfriend. One such incident took place in High Springs, where they were living at. Apparently, the boyfriend had slashed her hand with a knife in the middle of an argument. There is no LE documentation to back this up other than what family members told FDLE agents; however, again, doesn’t mean that it isn’t true.

This is the million dollar question-who indeed was the accomplice in this case. It would be bullish to assume the boyfriend worked alone if he did it. Detra had to have been murdered in the woods…question is, WHO helped the boyfriend dig the hole, if there is one? WHO picked the boyfriend up from the truck stop when he parked it? WHO is the second person who knows something. Someone certainly knows something.

If the child was tossed out a window of that car, maybe her DNA was on the window ledge.

Maybe. But maybe not. She was fully clothed when she was thrown from the vehicle. When police impounded the vehicle, there was no indications of DNA on the car or anything unusual other than a small blade of grass, but that wouldn’t tell a story….everyone has some grass or dirt in their car unless they are a religious car vacuumer. I’m unsure if CCSO or FDLE still has the car impounded.

Hopefully this helped! Feel free to ask any more questions and I can try to answer them best as I can. I will add that according to CCSO, the detectives on this case may be working a new angle. I wasn’t given much more than that, but to me, it sounds like something may be happening soon. So stay tuned!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back