Found Deceased MA - Susan Willand, 54, Chelmsford, 20 Dec 2019

This article was posted yesterday and the police describe why they are focusing their search on the river/river's edge in that particular area. They must have camera footage that tracked her directly to this spot. IMO this is a recovery mission now and it's so sad.

Search ongoing for missing Chelmsford woman

Ahern added, “Our search efforts will continue until we find Susan. We have focused on the river’s edge and surrounding area, because that is the last place she is seen, based on our investigation.” Ahern added, “We believe our community is safe. We encourage anyone with information or cameras that face the search area from the opposite of the river -- Lowell -- to contact us.”

No danger to the community (because they feel it is self-harm).

It does sound like they have evidence, beyond the reported last sighting near her condo, that place her near the water.

With Merrimack River temperatures near 40 degrees and dropping, a body may not decompose and rise to the surface until the water warms up. We saw that last year with the January 14th disappearance of Achim Bailey in Springfield (RIP). FYI- the Merrimack river is dammed in Lowell, 4 miles downstream.

Found Deceased - MA - Achim Bailey, 23, told parents he was going to a bar, Springfield, Hampden County, 11 Jan 2019

I saw a tiny tidbit of info just now...there is a completely volunteer search effort being organized tomorrow by Susan's close friends and family (police will not be present). The search will take place at the Southwell Park ball fields because according to the organizers that was in fact the very last place she was seen. You can see the info for this event and call for volunteers on fb. One person asked if Susan was seen on security camera footage at the ball fields and a family member answered that it was true to the best of their knowledge. Maybe locals can weigh in on this location?

I saw a tiny tidbit of info just now...there is a completely volunteer search effort being organized tomorrow by Susan's close friends and family (police will not be present). The search will take place at the Southwell Park ball fields because according to the organizers that was in fact the very last place she was seen. You can see the info for this event and call for volunteers on fb. One person asked if Susan was seen on security camera footage at the ball fields and a family member answered that it was true to the best of their knowledge. Maybe locals can weigh in on this location?
If I'm looking at the map correctly, it looks like the Southwell Park ball fields are behind a school and the boat ramp with access to the Merrimack River is at the edge of the fields.

Any news from today's informal search? I've seen nothing from MSM.

Reactions: Dre
Any news from today's informal search? I've seen nothing from MSM.

Nothing other than they are organizing a new search (again community led, not police) in the same area in New Year's Day. The family is still urging people in North Chelmsford communities to check home and business security cameras for any pertinent footage and to share with police.

Search ongoing for missing Chelmsford woman

Searches by air, ground and water have yielded no clues in the disappearance of Chelmsford resident Susan Willand, police said.

“On [Dec. 27,] with the assistance of [environmental state police,] we were finally able to get a boat in the water and conduct a limited search,” said Ahern, adding, “Side sonar was deployed from the boat, in an effort to map the river bottom. Our search efforts proved negative.”

Ahern said a volunteer search was organized Dec. 28. “Several citizens and myself once again searched the area where Susan was last seen, with negative results. We will continue our efforts to find Susan.”

“We’re still conducting some small-scale searches,” Police Chief James Spinney said. “We continue continue to circle back, and talk to the family ... nothing significant has come in to our station.”

Family of missing Chelmsford woman asking for public’s help – Lowell Sun

By Robert Mills | rmills@lowellsun.com | Lowell Sun
PUBLISHED: January 3, 2020 at 7:18 pm | UPDATED: January 3, 2020 at 7:19 pm
It has been two weeks since 54-year-old Susan Willand, the single mother of a grown daughter, left her cellphone, wallet and car keys at her home in North Chelmsford and vanished.

Despite a massive search effort from Chelmsford police, with assistance from other local police departments, Willand has been seen only once since — in surveillance footage from the Southwell softball field in North Chelmsford, in which Willand was seen at 7:38 a.m. on the day she disappeared.

“Sue has not been seen or heard from since,” her family said in statement shared widely Thursday night. “She left her dog and her daughter alone in the house, which is very uncharacteristic.”

• 1658.jpeg
  • 1659.jpeg
  • 1671.jpeg
1 of 12
Photos of Susan Willand provided by her family.

Chelmsford police have searched for Willand extensively, and on Dec. 23 the search effort included roughly 130 police officers from surrounding communities, according to Chief James Spinney.

Massachusetts Environmental Police have used sonar to check for Willand in the Merrimack River, and police have scoured all the surveilliance footage they could get their hands on from businesses in the area, all with no additional sign of Willand, according to Spinney.

Chelmsford officers are still conducting daily checks and searches in areas around North Chelmsford as well.

“There are no signs of foul play,” Spinney said. “There’s no indication that anyone has done her harm.”

A niece, Susan Teal, said Willand had undergone a trauma just weeks before she disappeared, when her longtime boyfriend suffered a stroke in the middle of the night.

“She woke up and realized it was happening and called 911 and saved his life,” Teal said. “He’s the love of her life and she wanted to take care of him 24/7.”

Teal said the family suspects the stress of organizing the logistics of caring for her boyfriend, and work, and the holidays, may have led Willand to disappear even though it’s so out of character.

“She always puts other people before herself,” Teal said. “We’re holding out hope that we can find her and get her help and bring her home safely.”

Willand is 5 feet, 7 inches tall, with bleach blond, shoulder-length hair, a thin build and green eyes, according to her family. She was last seen wearing a dark navy blue, almost black coat with a furred hood.

The family said in a statement that Willand is extremely athletic and an avid walker who could cover long distances, which is why they are asking people in towns throughout the region to keep their eyes open.

The family is asking people, especially now that many are returning home from holiday trips, to check surveillance footage and check around homes, in sheds or in parked cars or other potential hiding spots for any evidence of Willand.

“Susan is adored by her family and friends. She is a passionate person, who cares for others more than herself,” the family said in a statement. “She works hard and raised her accomplished daughter on her own, always the fun, cool mom ready with tenderness and love. Sue is fun-loving and adventurous, going on hiking trips and family vacations.”

Teal, said the family is all working together and working in shifts to organize searches and work with police.

“It’s really important that the public look for her and get out there and be really attentive when looking for her,” Teal said.

“This is so completely unlike her. She had dealt with a trauma recently and we were reaching out to her. We don’t think she was taken by anyone,” Teal said. “But we feel like we want to tell her and make sure she knows we all love her and we want her to come home safely.”

The family thanked those who have already reached out and helped, saying the support “has helped us keep up hope and courage as we continue our search.”

“Her friends and family love her, and her community has come together to ensure she comes home safely,” the family said in a statement. “Sue, if you can hear this, please come home. We just want to know you are safe and we want you to know that we love you unconditionally.”

For additional information and updates on the search effort, visit: Find Sue Willand.

Anyone with any information on Willand or her whereabouts is asked to immediately call Chelmsford Police at 978-256-2521.

still missing: Police continue searching for missing Chelmsford mother | Boston.com

In the weeks since her family reported her missing, authorities have searched throughout North Chelmsford, particularly around the area where she was seen on a surveillance video later that day she disappeared, over near the Southwell Softball Fields near the banks of the Merrimack River off Wotton Street,

Searches by foot, drone, K-9, and by boat have all proved fruitless. Officers continue to look daily.

Local authorities will now coordinate with Massachusetts State Police to search the river with a team of divers given the chance that Willand could have fallen through the ice and into the water.

Police, however, do not have specific information that Willand entered the river.

I was hoping that with the unseasonably warm weather there recently that there would be news of searches, hope she is safe and gets home to her family.

No, that location is directly downstream from where Susan was last seen. I don't remember exactly where the dam is but I'd guess maybe three miles downstream.

I don't know of any other people missing in the area who were last seen near the river. It could be her :(:(:(

This is the dam in the center of Lowell, about 3 miles from Southwell field where Susan was last seen. The current in the river between the two locations is not very strong due to the dam, and from what I have read, bodies stay submerged pretty close to where they sink in the absence of strong currents. Also, I'm not sure a body would rise already with the cold river temps in winter. Lowell is a working class town with a fair amount of crime as well.

But still a body in water is unusual, so this may be Susan IMO.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.32.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.32.03 PM.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.32.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.32.50 PM.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 9
This is the dam in the center of Lowell, about 3 miles from Southwell field where Susan was last seen. The current in the river between the two locations is not very strong due to the dam, and from what I have read, bodies stay submerged pretty close to where they sink in the absence of strong currents. Also, I'm not sure a body would rise already with the cold river temps in winter. Lowell is a working class town with a fair amount of crime as well.

But still a body in water is unusual, so this may be Susan IMO.

It's been unusually warm this month, though.

No, that location is directly downstream from where Susan was last seen. I don't remember exactly where the dam is but I'd guess maybe three miles downstream.

I don't know of any other people missing in the area who were last seen near the river. It could be her :(:(:(
Afraid to think it, but unfortunately with the proximity to where she was last seen most likely it will be her. moo.
Prayers for Susans loved ones.

If the body was found this afternoon and they're planning on releasing a statement later today, there must not be much doubt about identification.
DA: Body found in river is missing Chelmsford woman

LOWELL — Just a few weeks before the late December day when Susan Willand walked away from her home, the North Chelmsford woman did something that was fully in character for her. She helped someone else. Willand, 54, had awakened in the middle of the night and called 911 when she realized her boyfriend was having a stroke. "She woke...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back