Press conference regarding previously undisclosed evidence scheduled for a January 16th at 1 p.m.

"It seems so unlikely for LISK to leave an object with such a "personal" stamp on it behind."

Seems impossible, since LISK isn't dumb. LE has said that a "partial ligature" was found on one of the Gilgo 4, and I'd have to conclude that this belt, or part of belt, is that ligature. Otherwise LE wouldn't be confident that LISK "handled" it, as if it was just lying around near or even under one of the bodies it wouldn't be compelling evidence (just something that could have been tossed there by an unrelated party). So it seems hard to imagine a serial killer using a weapon with his own initials on it. Now, putting those initials there as a statement to somebody else, that could have merit...

I agree with all of what you say.

If it's the probable murder weapon, it's no wonder they don't want to release it. And if it's broken (partial), they might not know how long it is.

I suspect that the reason the letters appear on a reddish background when the belt is described as black is that they're on the reverse side of the belt, where the leather is often left unfinished. On the rough leather, it could be hard to determine precisely whether the printing was embossed and painted, or simply painted. It looks embossed but not deeply to me.

Re post.
Black Belt Could Hold Clues To Gilgo Beach Killer

beltnew___16140616469.jpg

(Suffolk County Police Department.)
''LONG ISLAND, NY — For the first time, police released a "significant piece of evidence," in the Gilgo Beach murders — a black belt embossed with the letters "HM" or "WH,"; the letters are 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. The belt was found at the initial stages of the investigation at a crime scene and is believed to have been handled by the suspect and did not belong to the victims, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart said at a press conference Thursday.''
''The public remains a critical resource and tips are sought, Hart said. The public can also go to p3tips.com or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS, as well as Gilgonews.com.''
GilgoBeachmap.jpg

A timeline of the Gilgo Beach murders. / Suffolk County Police.

Completely agree.. also, i can't help but wonder - LISK appears to have been so meticulous (as far as we know anyway - no knowledge of other evidence DNA etc having been released to the public). It seems so unlikely for LISK to leave an object with such a "personal" stamp on it behind.[/QUOTE

Unless something happened that made him flee immediately. An approaching car or person, perhaps?

Completely agree.. also, i can't help but wonder - LISK appears to have been so meticulous (as far as we know anyway - no knowledge of other evidence DNA etc having been released to the public). It seems so unlikely for LISK to leave an object with such a "personal" stamp on it

Unless something scared him and caused him to flee immediately; perhaps an approaching car or person?

It just took me five minutes to look up all of the WH's and HM's who went to my high school (West Islip High School, pretty much due north by a few miles from Gilgo) during the years I think are relevant (high schooler's from 1969 to 1977). There were quite a few males with matching initials (though not my own suspect, of course). It would probably take me weeks to do some checking on each of them to rule them out.

But it wouldn't take me nine years. The constant reevaluating that the Police Chief mentioned is nonsense; LE would've known within months if they could do anything with those initials, and should have released the information to the public a long time ago. So why would they release it now? I can think of only the following choices:
1. Netflix (and Kolker's silly book, and I only make fun of his silly book because I didn't think of writing it). Even more people will now be looking at the Suffolk County Police Department and wondering just how corrupt and negligent they are (even if the film doesn't paint that part in broad strokes). Here they belatedly attempt to show how they're working on the case and reaching out to the public. It's baloney.
2. Netflix (and Kolker's etc). Hey, this movie is gonna debut at Cannes or some such, and Amy Adams (as Mari Gilbert, yeah right) is a big star. Geraldine Hart likes to share some of the spotlight just as much as the next cop: wait till her grand kids see her on TV!
3. Netflix (and, y'know). "You know what would be great for the movie, SPCD? Headlines, that's what. Create some, would ya? The creepier the better!"

That's all I've got.
AGREED!!!!

Hello All ! I am new to the boards however I will act like I have been here since the start lol. Anyways the LISK case has always had my attention and last night I just started to watch the A & E show The Killing Season. I have been following case however not as close as some of you. Something that Drew my attention was the Burlap and LISK's use of it. Did you notice that the other victims not on Long Island were also dismembered and I believe that Burlap was also used which lead to me believe that there was and or is only 1 LISK. Something that also caught my attention was the guy who operated the nursery on Long Island that had the Burlap I believe his last name was Bisset? Anyways it was brought to light that he committed suicide and I find that very interesting as it was brought to light that the Suffolk D.A. was about to charge him. What are your thoughts?

I showed my husband to see if it looked farmiliar and he said it looks like the 'projects' his dad and brother would do while locked up in looney bins. He said they both had a couple of stamped belts they made while there. I hadn't seen that anywhere so thought I'd throw it out there.

I've been keeping a Case Archive of this one for years and years.
The "Justice" section. I keep hoping they will get him.
Justice by amanda reckonwith

Cell phone, try clicking this, then scroll.. 1/16/20 The black leather belt is embossed on the inside with the letters WH or HM.

The main Case Archive starts at the beginning. Back then, I kept it in Monthly sections. That went away as time went on.
Gilgo Beach Long Island Murders -NY- by amanda reckonwith

Cell phone, try this and scroll.. 1/7/12 Updated, the 11 found remains along Ocean Parkway. (click to enlarge)

I showed my husband to see if it looked farmiliar and he said it looks like the 'projects' his dad and brother would do while locked up in looney bins. He said they both had a couple of stamped belts they made while there. I hadn't seen that anywhere so thought I'd throw it out there.

Or in a high school shop class, or a boy/Girl Scout camp.

Just a few comments on the belt. The font used appears to be retro asian vector font. In that particular style of font, the " H " crosses at the top, so the intials, imo, are H M , not W H.

Also, one of the victims was discovered with a ligature still around her neck. Pretty sure this belt is the ligature.

I think that belt is just throwing a bone to show they are making some sort of progress on this case. Without seeing the whole belt, knowing how long or short it is, how wide, was it a belt to keep your britches up or was it an "accessory" decorative belt, like the type that comes with a dress or tunic, it's kind of hard to make a connection to anything.

I also think it looks like it could something made in arts & crafts at summer camp, or the ha-ha hotel.

MOO

Here is a recent report about one of the crimes associated with the Long Island case:

Scarborough victim's mother hopes new evidence will solve "Gilgo Beach" murders
The article says today, January 18, is Megan Waterman’s birthday and she’d be 32 years old. I hope this is the last birthday that passes without answers and if the belt is what starts the ball rolling, then let’s roll with it. It may not seem like the best clue but remember, and if I recall correctly, Bittrolff was eventually caught by a cigarette butt.

I think that belt is just throwing a bone to show they are making some sort of progress on this case. Without seeing the whole belt, knowing how long or short it is, how wide, was it a belt to keep your britches up or was it an "accessory" decorative belt, like the type that comes with a dress or tunic, it's kind of hard to make a connection to anything.

I also think it looks like it could something made in arts & crafts at summer camp, or the ha-ha hotel.

MOO

If the belt’s size is revealed, its owner could start losing weight at a record pace. “If it doesn’t fit you must acquit” comes to mind.

Also... do any of you really believe this belt belong to LISK personally ? I'd be more inclined to believe it came from a previous victim. But, who knows ?

I think it belonged to the killer instead of a victim.

I remember when embossed leather belts and bracelets were everywhere. In the early nineties/early grunge and Lollapalooza days, almost every guy my age (I’m almost 54) had one and used their initials as a conversation starter (“can you guess my name...”). Maybe the killer hung on to the belt long after it was trendy because it was useful.

Those are just my current thoughts but I’m with you, who knows?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back