GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm
Same here -- why didn't she get 15 years with no parole? Grrrrr.

I don't think she spent more than 90 days in women's prison before she was secretly moved. And authorities refuse to say where she was moved to. IMO, that means she's likely at a rehab center - not exactly punishment.

Jonathan Darling, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office, did not provide a reason for the change or say when it occurred.

“Ms. Carter is still in custody of the Bristol County Sheriff’s Office but is not currently in a Bristol County corrections facility,” Darling said in an email to Boston.com. “We will not be providing details on her whereabouts or the circumstances.”

Sheriff’s office: Michelle Carter moved from jail but remains in custody | Boston.com

This case has similarities and differences with the Alexander Urtula Case case whose girlfriend, Inyoung You, has now been indicted for Involuntary Manslaughter in another texting coercion case.

I am posting the link for reference; MA - Alexander Urtula, Suicide, Girlfriend indicted in texting Case - Boston - 20 May 2019

PLEASE keep the discussions appropriately separate. It's fine to discuss both cases but keep the focus here on this victim, the perpetrator and the families involved, as well as legal aspects arising from these cases.

In Feb. 2019, attorneys for Michelle Carter said that they were going to ask the Supreme Court of the United States to overturn her 2017 involuntary manslaughter conviction in the death of Conrad Roy III, who took his own life by intentionally filling his truck cabin with carbon monoxide. Less than a year later, SCOTUS rejected that appeal.

Carter’s attorneys wanted SCOTUS to settle whether it is constitutionally protected free speech to encourage another person to commit suicide. In their SCOTUS petition, Carter’s lawyers argued that her conviction violated both the First and Fifth Amendments.

In Sept. 2019, Carter also got some bad news. Her attempt to get out of prison early failed.

Even though the Bristol County Sheriff’s Office reportedly describedher as a “model inmate” shortly after she started serving time in February, the parole board was clearly still concerned. The parole board decision noted it was troubling that Carter “not only encouraged [Conrad Roy III] to take his own life, she actively prevented others from intervening in his suicide.” Furthermore, the board said, Carter’s “self-serving statements and behavior, leading up to and after his suicide, appear to be irrational and lacked sincerity.”

“Ms. Carter needs to further address her causative factors that led to the governing offense,” the board concluded.

SCOTUS Rejects Michelle Carter’s Appeal of Manslaughter Conviction in Text-Suicide Case

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday left in place the conviction of a Massachusetts woman who sent her boyfriend text messages urging him to kill himself.

Joseph Cataldo, one of Carter’s lawyers, said Monday's decision was an “injustice” and that the legal team is weighing its next steps. He didn't elaborate.

“The U.S. Supreme Court not accepting Michelle Carter’s petition at this time is unfortunate," he said in a statement. “Clearly many legal scholars and many in the legal community understand the dangers this precedent created by the Massachusetts courts.”

Supreme Court rejects appeal in texting suicide case

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday left in place the conviction of a Massachusetts woman who sent her boyfriend text messages urging him to kill himself.

Joseph Cataldo, one of Carter’s lawyers, said Monday's decision was an “injustice” and that the legal team is weighing its next steps. He didn't elaborate.

“The U.S. Supreme Court not accepting Michelle Carter’s petition at this time is unfortunate," he said in a statement. “Clearly many legal scholars and many in the legal community understand the dangers this precedent created by the Massachusetts courts.”

Clearly they believe her money should keep her out of jail. I am soooo glad she can't buy her way out of it. I am even happier that the parole board gets how dangerous she is.

Oh, the world's smallest violin is playing... what about "setting a precedent" that says other sociopaths encouraging people to commit suicide for their own personal thrills are, in fact, to be encouraged?

Clearly they believe her money should keep her out of jail. I am soooo glad she can't buy her way out of it. I am even happier that the parole board gets how dangerous she is.
^^bbm

I think this awful woman is still using her money to escape true justice. She did not spend more than 90 days in women's correctional center before she was moved and Bristol County Sheriff refused to say where she was moved to. I'm pretty sure she's at a Club Med like rehab center. Grrrr... :mad::mad:

“Ms. Carter is still in custody of the Bristol County Sheriff’s Office but is not currently in a Bristol County corrections facility,” Darling said in an email to Boston.com. “We will not be providing details on her whereabouts or the circumstances.”

Sheriff’s office: Michelle Carter moved from jail but remains in custody | Boston.com

Noooooooooooo!

Looks like she shaved about 4 months off of her 15 month sentence.

She is scheduled to be released on January 23, the Bristol County Sheriff's office said.

Supreme Court won't take up appeal of Michelle Carter's conviction for role in boyfriend's suicide - CNNPolitics

@Niner

I see you "tagged" me on this one - but I know nothing about this case - and not about to read 1200 plus posts! LOL! :) Someone else will have to update this for you - I just have too many other cases to take care - hope you don't mind... :)

I see you "tagged" me on this one - but I know nothing about this case - and not about to read 1200 plus posts! LOL! :) Someone else will have to update this for you - I just have too many other cases to take care - hope you don't mind... :)

The case is over @Niner. I was just letting you know she gets out of prison on Jan 23. Thought you had a trial recap for the case. She managed to shave off about 4 months of her 15-month sentence. :)

The case is over @Niner. I was just letting you know she gets out of prison on Jan 23. Thought you had a trial recap for the case. She managed to shave off about 4 months of her 15-month sentence. :)

No I don't have trial recap - didn't follow this one - sorry! :(

Ugh. I watched 'I Love You, Now Die' on a flight a couple of months back. I knew about the case already but after watching the doc, just could not get over how disturbing Michelle's behaviour was. This girl is a total psychopath.

Ugh. I watched 'I Love You, Now Die' on a flight a couple of months back. I knew about the case already but after watching the doc, just could not get over how disturbing Michelle's behaviour was. This girl is a total psychopath.

Agreed! I’m in fear of some unsuspecting person in her future.
I hope the terms of her release include counseling and NO dating.

I had a similar experience to you and couldn't shake the details for a good week. All be warned. :eek::(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304