Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not disagreeing with you about people being angry, but, we don't know everything and really very little about what happened the night before Harley went missing. There's too many rumours to even get started on that. I have not read anywhere where the school called his mother, do you have a link?.
"School officials said they attempted to call his mother on Friday after he didn't show up, but her voicemail was full."
Police search 150-acre area for missing Port Clinton teen

I don't believe anyone else was with poor Harley when he was on the roof, looking at the chimney.

If he had been with a friend that morning, they probably wouldn't have climbed up on that roof. If Harley had a friend to hang with, they probably could have found someplace else to walk to that morning. Maybe a donut shop or a mutual friends house?

I think it was loneliness that helped convince PH to jump into that void. :(

It isn't ridiculous. His mother said "he probably got the idea off all that ‘gaming’ he did with Fortnite. How they climb up things to go into abandoned homes to get treasures."

Calling her thoughts ridiculous might be considered unkind.

Mother of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly speaks out after he is found dead
You defending someone placing blame on a game might be considered unkind...
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what's ridiculous and what's not.

Speculations and unfamiliarity....hmmm
Blaming a game is ridiculous.
However the game does not allow you to go down a chimney.

I don't claim to know what experience led mom to formulate her opinion.

He made the choice to climb the antenna of an abandoned home, walk across a roof, to a chimney and attempted to climb down.”
[..]
“There he would of been able to view me leaving every Friday as I do running errands,” Heather continued. “The decision he made, he probably got the idea off all that ‘gaming’ he did with Fortnite. How they climb up things to go into abandoned homes to get treasures. He is gone.”
^^bbm

Mother of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly speaks out after he is found dead

So for the record, fortnite players get into the houses by either breaking walls down with their axe or just plain opening doors. The chimney is not a functional feature through which a player could enter an abandoned house. And per my son, even if you could you’d probably die of health damage. How true irl as well. So I’m not seeing the parallel she is attempting to draw.

Maybe. Still his online life was seriously everything to him. It was pretty much his life's breath. It would be interesting to know when his last online activity was, when exactly his phone broke, or got taken away, exactly where and when it was. So many questions.
MOO
P
I see a lot of people wondering why Harley did not pick a lock, break a window, or break in the house some other way, rather than accessing it by chimney. I think there are 2 reasons: First of all, if he broke out a window or damaged the home somehow, he'd be in big trouble and held liable. He was already skating on thin ice with his mom and possibly the police. I truly believe he thought if he went in through the chimney, when he was ready to leave, he could go out a door, and lock it behind him, and voila! No one would ever know he'd been in the home. Second, I think this was an adventure, and as others upthread commented, an urban explore. The climbing the antenna tower, the thrill of doing this and not being caught (it was still dark, not much chance of somebody seeing him), "going down the chimney" like Santa, exploring an unoccupied house,--all of that appealed to his 14 yo self. MOO.
Yes agreed!

As the mod. has noted, let's give the mom a break as to any of her reactions to her son's death. She may be in shock and most likely will go through a whole range of feelings and emotions.
People grieve in different ways. Some don't show it at first but will have a meltdown later. The mother may be going through a period of shock, numbness, disbelief as if it is all a bad dream. She probably lost lots of sleep and much more after Harley was found. Sleep deprivation impairs brain function including thought processes and decision making and the health of the body.

I wish I could go.
I just love to far away...

Funeral arrangements set for Harley Dilly

7 more days for the visitation seems like a long time,

snipped from the above link

Visitation for Harley will be Jan. 25 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Gerner-Wolf-Walker Funderal home on Washington Street. Private funeral services will be held at a later date.

People grieve in different ways. Some don't show it at first but will have a meltdown later. The mother may be going through a period of shock, numbness, disbelief as if it is all a bad dream. She probably lost lots of sleep and much more after Harley was found. Sleep deprivation impairs brain function including thought processes and decision making and the health of the body.
As a recent widow grieving the loss of my fairly young husband earlier this year and recently my mother as well, I am now understanding what others in this type of situation go through. It's like they say, you really don't understand grief until you experience it yourself. I also have observed that it is especially difficult with the loss of a child, I can't imagine that! Condolences to all parents in that situation, whether they were "good" or not so "good" as judged in the public eye, at being a mom or dad.

I didn't see it as blaming a game as much as I saw it as opening a discussion for the possibility that the idea of going down a chimney could have come from a game. It is realistic to think so. Just a different way to look at something. That is what we are here for, correct? To brainstorm, see if we can solve cases??? IMO, JMO

What I would like to see is a serious reconstruction of that climb from the ground to the roof, across the roof and to the chimney. Taking into consideration the conditions, weather, wind speed and direction for that day.
His size, build and physical ability plus his attire, particularly his footwear and that jacket.

This case and all of the speculations and rumors associated with it make me so very sad. :( Tensions always seem to run high when we form our own thoughts and opinions about how someone may or may not react, or their actions and inaction differ from what we believe they should.

Unless and until LE indicates there is a reason not to believe this is anything more than an accident, we really have no choice but to accept their findings. If there is continuing investigation behind the scenes, we will hear about it if charges are filed.

I hope that the public will accept the findings whatever they may be and allow Harley to rest in peace, and be lovingly remembered as the remarkable young man he was.

I think this was likely an accident, but it’s hard to believe a police department that wasn’t even smart enough to thoroughly search a vacant house within sight of Harley’s home. I don’t care how “undisturbed” the house looked. Sigh.

What I would like to see is a serious reconstruction of that climb from the ground to the roof, across the roof and to the chimney. Taking into consideration the conditions, weather, wind speed and direction for that day.
His size, build and physical ability plus his attire, particularly his footwear and that jacket.
Why, if I may ask?

You defending someone placing blame on a game might be considered unkind...
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what's ridiculous and what's not.

Please forgive me; I must be naive? How does questioning whether an idea is hatched while playing a game become ridiculous or unkind?

Isn't all of the speculation and unfamiliarity (both with online games, and relationships within the family) what contributes to us forming opinions? None of us were there when Harley went into the chimney. None of us have personal relationships with the family (there are no verified insiders for the case). Not all of us are familiar with Fortnite. Not everyone has been following the case since it began, and are working to catch up with previous posts that may have described how the game is played. Regardless; no one deserves to be told their statement(s) are ridiculous in an open forum, IMO. A simple explanation (or re-explanation) of how the game is played would do. Or, we can always scroll on by without responding at all. ;)

This case and all of the speculations and rumors associated with it make me so very sad. :( Tensions always seem to run high when we form our own thoughts and opinions about how someone may or may not react, or their actions and inaction differ from what we believe they should.

Unless and until LE indicates there is a reason not to believe this is anything more than an accident, we really have no choice but to accept their findings. If there is continuing investigation behind the scenes, we will hear about it if charges are filed.

I hope that the public will accept the findings whatever they may be and allow Harley to rest in peace, and be lovingly remembered as the remarkable young man he was.

I can understand why rumors and speculation because there was a lot of inconsistencies especially the day he went missing.

I didn't see it as blaming a game as much as I saw it as opening a discussion for the possibility that the idea of going down a chimney could have come from a game. It is realistic to think so. Just a different way to look at something. That is what we are here for, correct? To brainstorm, see if we can solve cases??? IMO, JMO

It’s hard for me to understand how anyone could think going head first down a hole the size of a cake pan could ever be a good plan.

I guess it was either teenage stupidity or desperation. Either way it’s awful.

It’s hard for me to understand how anyone could think going head first down a hole the size of a cake pan could ever be a good plan.

I guess it was either teenage stupidity or desperation. Either way it’s awful.

I missed hearing that he went head first! I assumed he used his legs to control his descent. Awful indeed. Poor kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong