Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the point when cold weather becomes dangerous

How cold is too cold?
The point at which cold gets dangerous is a higher temperature than you might think, especially if you live somewhere that frequently sees temperatures in the teens or lower. “It’s safe to be outside if the temperature is 32°F or above,” says David A. Greuner, MD, FACS, co-founder and director of NYC Surgical. “If the temperature falls between 13°F and 31°F, you should take breaks from the cold approximately every 20 to 30 minutes. If wind chill temperatures are 13°F and below, you should remain indoors.” Wind chill measures the true danger of weather conditions by factoring in how the low temperature and wind speed combine to remove heat from an exposed human face. To get a better idea, check out this chart created by the National Weather Service. For example, if the ambient temperature is 20°F and the wind speed is a breezy 10 mph, the wind chill is a significantly colder 9°F.

Okay everyone ... ease up on bashing the mom. You may not like her, you may not like what she may or may not have said/done, but she is still considered a victim by WS standards.

Further victim blaming posts may result in a thread reply ban.

Harley was 14 NOT 12
Still 12,or 14 Such a manic/ Hormonal/ Silly/ crazy/ emotional time for a young undeveloped brain. The connection between action,reaction, outcome just are not as keen as a more adult brain. That's why we are not legal until age 18, and the drinking age is 21.
MOO

I can't think of any new material information they could learn from that exercise that would justify the expense. Curious if you have something in mind. (sorry to jump on your post. It just fell in the thread as I was reading :) )

Since I don't know what they did or didn't find in there except for Harley himself, I couldn't tell you what might be revealed. Honestly I hadn't put a price ticket on Harley's life so it wasn't something I considered. There a couple of things that I suspect but can't prove as yet about the building itself. What I can tell you is it's no simple task to negotiate a roof with that pitch in perfect conditions, so I am wary of someone declaring that's what happened as fact without seeing it done.

Yes, I have not read all the posts.

Mother of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly speaks out after he is found dead

Sometimes young people don't make good decisions all the time. That said, his feelings of fear knowing there was no way out and no one to hear him yelling for help crushes me. I hope he didn't have fear and death was quick.

One young man said once, "The emotions and feelings of wanting to take everything back as soon as I jumped from the bridge was horrifying. All I wanted to do was take it all back-- oh, but it was too late I already jumped."

He happened to be a man who actually lived through it, and tell his story.

What was it like for Dilly that very moment he realized he was not coming out of this alive??

I am beside myself as a mother with shock and pain....

Still 12,or 14 Such a manic/ Hormonal/ Silly/ crazy/ emotional time for a young undeveloped brain. The connection between action,reaction, outcome just are not as keen as a more adult brain. That's why we are not legal until age 18, and the drinking age is 21.
MOO
A fact is a fact...misinformation is misinformation.
The difference between a 12 yr old and a 14 yr old might not seem like a difference to some but it certainly does to others. I think you just want to argue , however the FACT is his age was 14. Wheres the link that says he is 12 if you want to go that route??? Just my opinion. I have children that are 12 and just turned 15...and there is a huge difference. That's 6th grade vs 9th grade in most cases.

Since I don't know what they did or didn't find in there except for Harley himself, I couldn't tell you what might be revealed. Honestly I hadn't put a price ticket on Harley's life so it wasn't something I considered. There a couple of things that I suspect but can't prove as yet about the building itself. What I can tell you is it's no simple task to negotiate a roof with that pitch in perfect conditions, so I am wary of someone declaring that's what happened as fact without seeing it done.
So you think he may have climbed in the chimney from inside the house?

MOO - Was Harley challenged/told/forced by someone to go on top of the house. My 17 year old (adhd etc) and emotional immaturity would not have gone on a house roof even if offered money.

I rescued my daughter off a barn roof when she was 12. Many parents here have testified to our hair raising experiences as parents of daredevil children. Jmo

MOO I honestly don't think the temperature played any part in HD's decision to go into a chimney. Living in a climate similar to Ohio, it is the norm for kids to walk a few blocks or stand on the corner to wait for a bus in all types of temperatures. My own teenagers are accustomed to doing this & they have never complained to me. It is just part of life in our climate.
I'm sure it took him much longer to climb the antenna and then climb the roof, than it would've to just walk the 4 blocks to school. Teenagers make unwise decisions every day. I made many at his age.

MOO I appreciate his teacher telling his story. He should not be remembered for a dumb decision, but rather for the impact he had on people in his short life.

He should be remembered for both.

That dumb decision cost him his life, and the example should be used to persuade other teenager to THINK of all possible outcomes before doing things they know they’re not supposed to be doing.

The temperature had nothing to do with his decision, in my opinion. He left over an hour early at 6:08 am- - it would have been quicker to back in his own house & try again to persuade mom to drive him or At least wait the hour INSIDE his own home and for the sun to come up.

I rescued my daughter off a barn roof when she was 12. Many parents here have testified to our hair raising experiences as parents of daredevil children. Jmo

Huh. That might partially explain Harley going down the chimney. Going up was easy, coming down, not so much. Jmo

So you think he may have climbed in the chimney from inside the house?
I don't have an answer for that. Although from all accounts that's not possible as there were no open fire places.
. I don't know what happened that's why I am asking questions.
Then taking what facts we are given and testing them.
I agree that just because something is unlikely doesn't make it impossible. But I also believe in providing good solid basis for your finding.
More than its our first guess so we are sticking with it.

His mother is probably right. He wanted to explore that house, that day. It was the perfect place to go. Had he gained entrance, he could keep an eye on her comings & goings. It was his last chance, last day of school. His mother would be none the wiser until at least after the holiday.

I wondering about the school calling, was it the norm she would ignore the calls from the school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname